candyman92
(Legend)
Sun Jan 29 2012 07:42 PM
Cavs Thread

Breaking news: Kyri Irving is really good.

leadtheway
(Dawg Talker)
Sun Jan 29 2012 07:46 PM
Re: Cavs Thread

In other news, jamison is not

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Sun Jan 29 2012 07:52 PM

I didn't expect that from Alonzo Gee

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Sun Jan 29 2012 07:53 PM

lololol Fred McCloud..."He just put some Gee-Mail in KG's inbox!" when Alonzo Gee dunked on Garnett. I like it. Gee should get consideration for the dunk contest this year. He dunks with authority and has had some pretty spectacular posterizations this season.

In other news...thoughts on the Cavs' possible interest in acquiring Chris Kaman?

leadtheway
(Dawg Talker)
Sun Jan 29 2012 07:53 PM

Finally getting to see Mychael thompson, been wanting to see him all year, i think he could def. be a rotation guy, he's got probably a top 3 stroke on our team and he's a tenacious defender.

cfrs15
(Legend)
Sun Jan 29 2012 08:07 PM

I was reading that thinking you were thinking of Klay Thompson whose father is the former NBA player Mychel Thompson. I didn't realize the older Thompson son had made it into the NBA.

Thompson is on the radio out here as a talking head and a Lakers color analyst. It's cool to see how his sons have grown up and both made the NBA.

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Sun Jan 29 2012 08:14 PM

Wow @ Andy Varejao

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Sun Jan 29 2012 08:20 PM

Way to steal one in a hostile arena.

candyman92
(Legend)
Sun Jan 29 2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Wow @ Andy Varejao

That was incredible

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Sun Jan 29 2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow @ Andy Varejao

That was incredible

Damn, what did I miss?

leadtheway
(Dawg Talker)
Sun Jan 29 2012 08:28 PM

and the rookie with the game winner. Great game to watch. The biggest thing i took away from this game is, M thompson needs to play more, Jamison needs traded/cut, Irving just might be the real deal, and tristan thompson isn't very good

leadtheway
(Dawg Talker)
Sun Jan 29 2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow @ Andy Varejao

That was incredible

Damn, what did I miss?

Andy basically won that game with his hustle, and then kyrie made the game winner with 2 seconds left

candyman92
(Legend)
Sun Jan 29 2012 09:48 PM

Something I realized about Kyrie tonight. He is really strong. He is a LOT stronger than he looks.

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Sun Jan 29 2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Something I realized about Kyrie tonight. He is really strong. He is a LOT stronger than he looks.

Seen most the cavs games and the kid is really something special. Im personally hoping the cavs make the Playoffs this year because I think it will help him in the long run. Hes a gamer no doubt. Him and Andy are really the face of this team right now.

playoffmaker
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 12:17 PM

J/C...

I am a big Cavs fan that lives in Minnesota where everyone is gushing over Rubio...I personally think that if the season ended today, that Kyrie would win Rookie of the Year over Rubio pretty easily... And that is taking nothing away from Rubio, as he is certainly a very good player himself... One of my buddies thinks I am crazy for saying this... I really don't think I am being a homer here... I have watched both players quite a bit, and don't see how Irving would not win the win the award if given today.

What do you guys think?

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 12:43 PM

I think Irving has been better.

I think Rubio has gotten more hype and had more highlight reel plays (as he's willing to throw any pass and able to complete a decent amount of them).

So, while I think Irving would be more deserving (to date), I think it would be close and Rubio might win (also, the media would have the story of 3 ROY winners from 2009 draft w/ Blake missing the 1st year and winning last year, Rubio staying in Europe until now)

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 01:09 PM

Fair or unfair, it will factor in that Rubio has been playing professionally for what, 5 years, while Irving will not have even been pro for even 5 months.

I think Irving wins it hands down, even at this pace if the Cavs finish out of the playoffs.

playoffmaker
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 01:24 PM

Yeah, I do think that hype will have something to do with the vote. Thing is, when you look at this objectively, Irving is doing more with less. Rubio has Love to work with, which makes a huge difference as well. Also, Kyrie's FG% is WAY better than Ricky's I believe.

I know it's early, but Kyrie has blown the doors off the expectations I had for him this year. I LOVE that he isn't afraid of the big moments.

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I do think that hype will have something to do with the vote. Thing is, when you look at this objectively, Irving is doing more with less. Rubio has Love to work with, which makes a huge difference as well. Also, Kyrie's FG% is WAY better than Ricky's I believe.

I know it's early, but Kyrie has blown the doors off the expectations I had for him this year. I LOVE that he isn't afraid of the big moments.

That is so true. I think Irving wins and has as you say blow the doors off my expectations. Hes going to get better as the year goes on and I really want to see the Cavs make the Playoffs this year so he can get a taste of that as well.
I have no expectations in the playoffs except for a quick exit but the value of being there would be immense going forward.

Not to mention if the Cavs want a high pick next year they can buy 1.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:07 PM

I'm not so sure they can just buy a high pick. Nobody is going to hand out lotto picks in a draft that is projected to be very good.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

I'm not so sure they can just buy a high pick. Nobody is going to hand out lotto picks in a draft that is projected to be very good.

exactly. and there are no straight-up buys for top10 picks in any draft anyways. the closest thing you get is the Baron for Mo trade last year (since Baron had more $$$ on his contract).

and it'd be awfully greedy to expect another trade like that to fall in our laps

ExclDawg
(Hall of Famer)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Not to mention if the Cavs want a high pick next year they can buy 1.

ExclDawg
(Hall of Famer)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

and it'd be awfully greedy to expect another trade like that to fall in our laps

The biggest reason the Clippers did that was because they were desperate to unload Baron (this was before the amnesty rule) ... and because they felt the draft was the weakest in years (Outside of Kyrie ... it pretty much was). They figured they were drafting 7th-10th, and had little to no chance of actually winning a top 3 pick. Low and behold, their pick hit anyway.

This year the draft is pretty deep. Teams are going to be holding on to lottery picks. Plus with the revised CBA and amnesty rules, teams aren't going to be as desperate to clear cap space as they were in the past.

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:19 PM

so you dont think that if the cavs offer up their pick which would be just outside the lottery piicks and perhaps a couple mill cash and say sessions that a team between 4-8 wouldnt take it?
Im not sure with the new CBA but last year I could have sworn I heard it talked about how teams would sell 1st round picks for cash so that is what I was basing my statement on. Perhaps things have changed with the new CBA or I misunderstood.

I dont expect us to get a trade like last year because no team really wants to trade unprotected picks. Im not looking for a top 3 pick either just was talking about being able to move up.

I dont remember but dont we also have some other picks that are protected sitting out there that eventually will come our way?

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The biggest reason the Clippers did that was because they were desperate to unload Baron (this was before the amnesty rule) ... and because they felt the draft was the weakest in years (Outside of Kyrie ... it pretty much was). They figured they were drafting 7th-10th, and had little to no chance of actually winning a top 3 pick. Low and behold, their pick hit anyway.

This year the draft is pretty deep. Teams are going to be holding on to lottery picks. Plus with the revised CBA and amnesty rules, teams aren't going to be as desperate to clear cap space as they were in the past.

Good points and if the draft is as deep as you guys say then we wouldnt that bad off picking just outside the lottery as in say a not so deep draft year?
Either way Im good with it if we miss out Im just not as much about losing this year as I was last year.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

so you dont think that if the cavs offer up their pick which would be just outside the lottery piicks and perhaps a couple mill cash and say sessions that a team between 4-8 wouldnt take it?
Im not sure with the new CBA but last year I could have sworn I heard it talked about how teams would sell 1st round picks for cash so that is what I was basing my statement on. Perhaps things have changed with the new CBA or I misunderstood.

I dont expect us to get a trade like last year because no team really wants to trade unprotected picks. Im not looking for a top 3 pick either just was talking about being able to move up.

I dont remember but dont we also have some other picks that are protected sitting out there that eventually will come our way?

not a chance. no way would a team trade Michael Kidd-Gilchrist(4-8 range) for Ramon Sessions, Doron Lamb(15-20 range -- if we make the playoffs that's where we would be) and $2million. the elite talent is greatly weighted at the top of the draft and 1 player can affect a team in the NBA more than any other pro-sport. no way a team does that.

we have a better chance at a team getting desperate towards competing this year (read: Orlando) and needs one of our assets like Ramon now (read: Orlando and their PG struggles breaking the press). maybe we could get a Jiri Welsch special out of them (panic trade for a 1st round pick - though likely in the 20s).

ExclDawg
(Hall of Famer)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:35 PM

Think of the NBA draft as a very condensed NFL draft. The pick value goes down tremendously right away.

Picks #1-15 (your lottery picks) are like the first two rounds of the NFL draft
Picks #15-30 are similar are like rounds 3 and 4.
Picks #31-45 (first half of round 2) are like 5 and 6
Picks #46-60 are like Round 7 and UDFAs.

Most your picks for cash happen in the back half of the seconds round ... mostly because the picks are worthless anyway. Trading a back-end first rounder for a lottery pick isn't going to happen unless you have a pretty hefty piece going back the other way.

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

not a chance. no way would a team trade Michael Kidd-Gilchrist(4-8 range) for Ramon Sessions, Doron Lamb(15-20 range -- if we make the playoffs that's where we would be) and $2million. the elite talent is greatly weighted at the top of the draft and 1 player can affect a team in the NBA more than any other pro-sport. no way a team does that.

we have a better chance at a team getting desperate towards competing this year (read: Orlando) and needs one of our assets like Ramon now (read: Orlando and their PG struggles breaking the press). maybe we could get a Jiri Welsch special out of them (panic trade for a 1st round pick - though likely in the 20s).

Ok I see what your saying. Ill scratch that thought from my thinking now. I just looked and seen that the Bucks have us beat on tie breakers as of now so I guess I need to root for the Cavs to lose the next 3 which is entirely possible.

On another thought do you think the Cavs would be able to/ will move Jamison? Im having my doubts now with as you said the Amnesty rule changes everything.

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Think of the NBA draft as a very condensed NFL draft. The pick value goes down tremendously right away.

Picks #1-15 (your lottery picks) are like the first two rounds of the NFL draft
Picks #15-30 are similar are like rounds 3 and 4.
Picks #31-45 (first half of round 2) are like 5 and 6
Picks #46-60 are like Round 7 and UDFAs.

Most your picks for cash happen in the back half of the seconds round ... mostly because the picks are worthless anyway. Trading a back-end first rounder for a lottery pick isn't going to happen unless you have a pretty hefty piece going back the other way.

Good post that really puts it into perspective for me. The Cavs had been so good for so long I never really worried about the draft or TBH considered value at the verious spots as you have definded them.

ExclDawg
(Hall of Famer)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

On another thought do you think the Cavs would be able to/ will move Jamison? Im having my doubts now with as you said the Amnesty rule changes everything.

I don't think we'll get anything substantial for him. He's not playing well enough for a contender to really want his services, and I'm not sure anyone is extremely desperate to clear cap space at the moment either. In the second case, we would also have to be willing to take on a pretty bad contract in the other direction, so I'm not sure how willing the Cavs would be to to do that either.

Put it this way ... last year, everyone thought for sure we'd trade our $15 million dollar trade exception for a haul. Not only was it a straight-up cap relief for any team that wanted it, it could also be divided up so teams didn't have to worry about matching up salaries exactly. Instead, it expired completely unused. And that was BEFORE salary amnesty was put into effect, and most teams were able to dump their biggest salary albatrosses from their payroll.

Even if we did get some sort of taker, who would it be? I can't see a lottery level team wanting to take him for any reason at all. (Hell, would we want him?) ... and I can't see a playoff contender really wanting him on their bench. Even if they did, we'd be talking about a non-lottery pick anyway.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:45 PM

I don't think the Cavs can unload Jamison because:

1. I doubt contending teams view him as someone to get them over the hump as a rotational player.

2. I doubt Grant wants to take back a truly bad contract for Jamison's expiring (and it has less value now because of the amnesty rule). And, I don't know if any team would be willing to give us anything worthwhile with a bad contract.

I think our best bets for trade assets are Ramon Sessions and Andy. They are the guys that contending teams may be willing to overpay for. If not, then we keep them and roll with it.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 02:52 PM

You can get 2's with cash/assets because a lot of these teams just simply don't have room for a guy who's most likely not going to be very good.

The one team out there that we could make a deal for involving Sessions would be the Knicks, but they literally have nothing they could give us.

I think with the new rules and everything, trades are going to be a lot tougher unless they are players forcing themselves out like cp3 or dwight.

We'll end up staying pat, we'll probably have a lottery pick with bad odds, and we'll just hope for the best, and let Grant and his people do their homework.

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 03:00 PM

yeah im kinda thinking your both right thats why I asked. Sessions I wouldnt feel bad if we moved but I really dont want to see Andy be moved. I see Irving developing a good relationship with Andy right now (not to mention the guy is just pure hustle) kinda like LBJ had with Z.
Not totally postitive on this but isnt Andy the longest tenured player on the team now?
Maybe I overvalue Andy but I would want the Sky with a few clouds tossed in for him.
Seeing as how you guys have mentioned most of our trade partners would be playoff bound teams or just getting a horrid player/contract it doenst make any sense to make a trade from a team prospective.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 03:37 PM

I don't think we'd get back equal value with Andy, because the team most likely picking him up would be a playoff team.

Why not just keep him? He's shown that he can still be the same player he's always been, I think he probably would want to stay as this thing is starting to turn around (worst is over)

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Mon Jan 30 2012 03:48 PM

Andy's already 29. The Cavs are still a few years away from truly being a contender. Andy's nice to have in the short term but doesn't figure into the long-term plans at all.

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 04:03 PM

thats 1 of the reasons that I think the FO may trade him. As said above we wouldnt get fair value for him in a trade so why not keep him? Hes the player I really dont want to see traded but somehow deep down inside think hes the player that would get traded now if we did make a move.
Lets hope that doesnt happen.

At the begining of the season I was thinking that Jamison Sessions and Andy would be the most likey to be moved in that order however now my thoughts have changed.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 04:13 PM

Orlando could need Sessions with the way that Jameer is playing (or hurt) and teams are pressing them.

Sessions fits into the Brandon Bass trade exception, so they can just give us picks if we want.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Orlando could need Sessions with the way that Jameer is playing (or hurt) and teams are pressing them.

Sessions fits into the Brandon Bass trade exception, so they can just give us picks if we want.

of course, we could also use the Odom trade exception from the Lakers:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_ramon_sessions_cavs_lakers_nba_013012

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 05:05 PM

that was interesting first Ive heard of it. I was thinking in the back of my mind about a 3 way deal between the lakers orlando and cavs but nothing made any sense to me. Now with what you posted I dont see anything on that front.

I was looking at Howard going to the Lakers and sessions and perhaps Andy to Orlando with us getting picks. Again nothing I could put together made any sense figured I was hitting the crack pipe to hard lol.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 05:20 PM

It might make sense to trade Sessions .... because while he is signed beyond this year, he can opt out if he chooses.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 06:07 PM

ok, what is fair value for AV? I was thinking to get it we need to trade with a team that is statistically savvy on the defensive end. Portland, Houston, etc. have their own stat-keepers with defensive metrics.

Houston needs a big man and rebounding badly, so I would target them.

AV
Gibson

for

Budinger (he's better than Parsons but stuck on the bench at SF)
C.Lee (at SG, he still wants to attack, they want SGs who can sit and chuck 3s)
J.Hill (very undervalued to me, he contributes when called upon)
J.Flynn (needed to backup Irving so we can trade Sessions + to match salaries)

Houston also owns the Knicks 1st round pick, but I don't even think we need it to make this deal. We get 3 promising youngsters + a top10 pick that hasn't panned out to match salaries. We definitely ask for the Knicks pick and perhaps settle on adding a 2nd rounder.

Anyways, Houston gets their rebounder/defender for this year's run and Gibson gets to go to his hometown team and he fits their role for SGs (and Lee struggles with bigger SGs too so it's not like they are losing anything there).

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7vxdhrd

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 06:32 PM

nice i was playing around with that and I cant find a way to use picks so just did this. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6sacl3s
I wouldnt make that trade but was fun together. :-)

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

nice i was playing around with that and I cant find a way to use picks so just did this. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6sacl3s
I wouldnt make that trade but was fun together. :-)

you wouldn't trade AV and Sessions for Pau Gasol? he's a top10 player in the NBA!

pretty sure that Orlando would just insist the Lakers take Turk and they get both Pau and Bynum.

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 06:50 PM

I guess i should have said if I was the other teams. Here is another example that doesnt really help the lakers but shows them being even better.
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=86ppaoa

Again on this one I dont see the Lakers making the move but would be fun Ill try to plug in Turk and see if I can make something work. :-)

Oh this would defenitally get us a lottery pick http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7t58f57

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Mon Jan 30 2012 07:36 PM

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=85osdzc

I'm ganna keep tinkering with this, But I'm a fan of it so far

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Ok I would buy season tickets for the next 4 years in advance if THAT trade ever happened.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 08:11 PM

i mean come on orlando, you're only 8 wins worse!

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 09:57 PM

ok, sorry that makes more sense.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Mon Jan 30 2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Oh come on and be real.

I mean ...... we'd have to give up at least a 2nd round pick or 2 to make that work ..........

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 10:44 PM

hey dont rain on our silly parade. its fun you should try it.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Mon Jan 30 2012 11:28 PM

Forget all this trade machine nonsense

This is more fun.

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Mon Jan 30 2012 11:54 PM

nice Gee is really fun to watch at times no doubt!

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Tue Jan 31 2012 12:37 AM

I do like the nickname "Gee Force".

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Jan 31 2012 12:38 AM

Alonzo "OH EM" GEE!!!

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Tue Jan 31 2012 12:47 AM

On a serious note ....... if Gee can get develop his shot from 12-15 feet, we might just have something there. he definitely has the athleticism to play the spot. He can dunk. He's a really solid defender. He just needs to be able to knock down a jumper with consistency.He doesn't have to be a 3 point shooter, but if he can get to a point where he can pull up and hit a jump shot he'll be even so much more effective ..... and could become a long term solution.

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Tue Jan 31 2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

On a serious note ....... if Gee can get develop his shot from 12-15 feet, we might just have something there. he definitely has the athleticism to play the spot. He can dunk. He's a really solid defender. He just needs to be able to knock down a jumper with consistency.He doesn't have to be a 3 point shooter, but if he can get to a point where he can pull up and hit a jump shot he'll be even so much more effective ..... and could become a long term solution.

I totally agree with that he has the potential it there he just needs to work on it. Also Ive noticed that Samual (sp?0 has really got that shot down for a big man.
Although we tried to keep james happy we did get some talent in the drafts and moves we have made so in hindsight I really have to give Grant a passing grade.

cfrs15
(Legend)
Tue Jan 31 2012 02:36 AM

I live in L.A. Chris Paul and Blake Griffin both play in L.A. They are fun to watch every game. That is all.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Tue Jan 31 2012 02:42 AM

Given that he was completely thrown under the bus by James I would have to give him a very solid A in both his moves, and his luck of the draw. (Getting the #1 overall in the Baron Davis trade, then being able to dump him under amnesty)

He has found a way to build up the second level players quite nicely while also working on adding plus starters. That is incredibly difficult to do when the team he inherited was built around a superstar, and had sold out much of their maneuverability in order to try to help that superstar. We now have a backup group that can hold their own with just about any other team's backups, and we will add at least one more "plus level" starter in this year's draft.

I think that he has done as good a job as anyone could have given the circumstances, and timing.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Jan 31 2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

I live in L.A. Chris Paul and Blake Griffin both play in L.A. They are fun to watch every game. That is all.

Blake is the most exciting player in the game right now.

AndraDavis4MVP
(Dawg Talker)
Tue Jan 31 2012 08:47 AM

haha the ESPN trade machine posts are cracking me up.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Tue Jan 31 2012 09:05 AM

Had a very late game last night that went into OT, came home and saw the dunk, daaaamn.

About 50% (give or take) of people on my twitter feed are nba fans, and almost everyone who was tweeting when I got home was talking about it.

ExclDawg
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Jan 31 2012 09:34 AM

Okay, just saw a replay of this dunk ... can I say this was as over-hyped as the Superman dunk? Sure he powered through Perkins and threw it in there, which is no-small feat, but it rattled through the hoop! That's not a dunk, that's a throw in!

Had I known this was considered a dunk, I would of been telling people I could dunk in college for years now. You know ... since I could get the ball in the hoop, while touching a finger or two to the rim! Who cares how much it rattled through in the process.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Tue Jan 31 2012 09:44 AM

I'm watching that 3rd video and thinking how fun it would have been in that dunk would have hit Lebron in the head ....... followed by Gee's foot. (both of which came really close)

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Jan 31 2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Blake is the most exciting player in the game right now.

and he's actually playing on defense now too. he's blocking shots, stealing passes. if he actually figures out how to guard his man on the block, then he could reach superstar status instead of Dominique Wilkins status that he's currently at.

leadtheway
(Dawg Talker)
Tue Jan 31 2012 07:54 PM

man between tristan and antwan, i can't pick who sucks more...there is no flow in this offense, its ugly

candyman92
(Legend)
Tue Jan 31 2012 08:28 PM

This team just has too many bad players that need to go.

candyman92
(Legend)
Tue Jan 31 2012 08:32 PM

Why did we trade for Jamison?

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Tue Jan 31 2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Ferry felt like he had to do something, it was the only move available in my opinion. I don't buy the "well all we needed to do was trade jj and we woulda had Amare!!" talk either.

Dude's old, and won't be around in Cleveland much longer.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Jan 31 2012 10:12 PM

Because LeBron asked for him.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Jan 31 2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ferry felt like he had to do something, it was the only move available in my opinion. I don't buy the "well all we needed to do was trade jj and we woulda had Amare!!" talk either.

Dude's old, and won't be around in Cleveland much longer.

let's put that to bed, okay?

kerr has stated it was the suns that pulled the plug and that jj wasn't enough. ferry was willing.

CleVeLaNd_sTrife
(Dawg Talker)
Tue Jan 31 2012 11:40 PM

The emotional swings in this thread really amuse me.

ExclDawg
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 01 2012 09:13 AM

leadtheway sounded like that when we were winning 60 games a year.

leadtheway
(Dawg Talker)
Wed Feb 01 2012 05:58 PM

HEY! I resemble that remark. I won't lie, i have a love/hate relationship with the cavs. When we were winning, you could just tell that something was bound to go wrong, something not quite right..now even though I know we are supposed to suck because we don't have anyone, I find myself getting excited because there are glimpses of something, but we have soo many holes it seems like we are another 10 years away from anything..But i still watch every game and yell. Probably because we were so good for awhile. With the browns is just staring at the tv expecting crap. usually aren't disappointed .

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Wed Feb 01 2012 06:02 PM

With the Browns I'm guilty of being over-excited at that start of the season, mad when they lose the opener, not as mad when they are 2-4 after 6 games, and after that just flat out numb to the rest of it. I just loathe that point in the year when it seems like it'd be better if they just lost out so we would have a higher pick.

With the Cavs the only time I was ever really angry was the 2009 Magic series. The 2010 Celtics series I wasn't so much mad as I was just open-mouth shocked. Ya know? It was like your own mother taking a crow bar to your new car and laughing the entire time.

CleVeLaNd_sTrife
(Dawg Talker)
Wed Feb 01 2012 07:07 PM

On a positive note: Kyrie Irving is currently the 15th most efficient player in the NBA with a PER of 22.68.

He is right behind Russell Westbrook and Dwyane Wade.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger...er%2fstatistics

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Fri Feb 03 2012 07:19 AM

Bud Shaw on Varejao and any potential trade ....

Value Anderson Varejao? Absolutely (especially in a trade): Bud Shaw's Sports Spin | cleveland.com
http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2012/02/value_anderson_varejao_absolut.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Confessions Of A Former Anderson Varejao Detractor...
I've called him a flopper, an overgrown soccer player. A figment of LeBron James' imagination because of the baskets James created for him. An undersized overachiever playing out of position at center.

Sideshow Andy, just a high energy bench guy on a good team.

Varejao is no longer any of those. He's more stout as a defender. He's improved his shot. Brad Childress would kill for a player with his hands.

So what comes next may surprise you.

I'd trade him. It would take more than a first-round draft pick, mind you. But somebody offers a young promising big man on top of a first-rounder (or more), I wait two days, hold a Varejao Wig Night and say, "Sold."

The deal would be for much different reasons than back when I wrongly doubted The Anderson Varejao Experience. His value, his friendly contract and the Cavs' stage of rebuilding are the ingredients for a Black Friday-style run on him as the trade deadline nears.

The Cavs have to swallow hard and listen harder.

He has never played better. He's money under the basket and at the turnstile but Kyrie Irving can carry the offense and the marquee. Not that keeping him doesn't make sense. It's just that maximizing assets now could have a trampoline effect when this team is good enough to challenge for a championship.

The Cavs spent the No. 4 pick on Tristan Thompson. Granted, his skills aren't identical and he's raw. But there's enough overlap. They made the commitment. They need to follow through on it.

Thompson, Irving, more high draft picks to fill other needs and a legitimate center is what's required to chase a title. Oh, and about three more years.

Varejao will be 32 in three seasons. For reasons that have nothing to do with the Dominican Republic and falsified visas, you can add two or three years of wear and tear. The way Varejao plays the game, when he goes he's going out like a demolition derby car. A big puff of smoke, then kaput.

The Cavs are in a great position because they don't have to move him and teams know it. His terrific season has driven up the price to the point where it'd be bad business to declare him off limits.

I know I've been wrong about him before. But the lights of The Q were in my eyes then. And the dog ate my scouting report.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 03 2012 07:27 AM

Absolutely. You unload him if the price is right, but not if the deal isn't right for you. Cavs hold all the cards when it comes to trading Andy.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Fri Feb 03 2012 07:37 AM

Yeah ...... I am coming around to trading him ...... but ONLY if a higher 1st round draft pick or a mid/lower 1st in this coming draft PLUS a solid young player are involved in the deal.

I would trade Sessions, simply because this could be his final year in a Cavaliers uniform if he rejects his player's option. If a team like the Lakers wants to slide over a 1st for him in this coming draft, I would absolutely listen.

Obviously, as we get closer to trade deadline time, if we can trade off Parker and/or Jamison for value, I do it. Slid Thompson and Gee into the starting lineup and let the develop. See what you have with Hollins and Erden. Get ready for a bounty in one of the most loaded draft in a long, long time.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 03 2012 08:51 AM

My only issue with trading Sessions is that we have no other PG to back up Kyrie, and we have Kyrie on limited minutes. I don't want a month and a half of Gibson getting 15-20 minutes a night at the point. Gibson also has injury issues every season.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Fri Feb 03 2012 09:10 AM

a team like Houston can give us a promising young big man (J.Hill), a backup PG (Flynn), along with a 1st rounder (theirs or Knicks). or possibly grab one of their young bench guys like Budinger.

2 weeks ago, I would have jumped at that trade. now, i'd be more hesitant.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 03 2012 10:45 AM

Well, it's obviously a different story if we got a backup PG in return. I think Flynn would be a cancer here as anything other than a 2-month rental though.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Fri Feb 03 2012 04:03 PM

Well .... we do have Manny Harris in Canton.

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Sat Feb 04 2012 09:49 PM

Andy's in beast mode tonight - 17 & 17

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Sun Feb 05 2012 12:41 AM

3rd game in a row with 15+ rebounds for Varejao.

If they trade him they better get HUGE value in return. He fits Scott's system perfectly.

candyman92
(Legend)
Sun Feb 05 2012 02:34 AM

And to think, some of you silly people thought we should have drafted Derrick Williams

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Sun Feb 05 2012 02:52 AM

I admit to wanting Williams and Knight.

It's not like he has stiffs ahead of him in the PF rotation in Minnesota though. Are the T-Wolves playing him at SF? That doesn't seem like it would be a good spot for him.

candyman92
(Legend)
Sun Feb 05 2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

I admit to wanting Williams and Knight.

It's not like he has stiffs ahead of him in the PF rotation in Minnesota though. Are the T-Wolves playing him at SF? That doesn't seem like it would be a good spot for him.

I didn't want him at all if he plays PF. Too short imo and I hate short big men.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Sun Feb 05 2012 11:05 AM

I preferred Williams at draft time mainly because we needed a 3 way more than we needed a 1. That said, Kyrie has exceeded my expectations tenfold and I couldn't be happier about it. We still need a 3, though Casspi has played a bit better recently, as well as legit guys at the 4 and 5. If we don't deal Andy (though I believe we will), a true back-to-the-basket center that allowed Andy to move back to the 4, where he should be playing, would be wonderful.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Sun Feb 05 2012 11:21 AM

I think that I would do the trade Simmons has laid out if I were the Cavaliers. I really love Andy's game in this scheme ....... but trading him for value like that would be huge for the future.

Bob Finnan's NBA notes: Chris Grant has several key decisions to make in the coming months - news-herald.com
http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2012/02/05/sports/nh5059143.txt?viewmode=fullstory

By Bob Finnan
RFinnan@News-Herald.com
@BobCavsinsider

Cavaliers general manager Chris Grant has some tough decisions facing him in the next few months.

The following are a few things he must decide:

-- Which players on the roster will he deal by the March 15 NBA trade deadline?

He's getting a lot of calls right now about backup point guard Ramon Sessions, including from the Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks.

The Lakers have two first-round picks in the 2012 draft, their own and Dallas' selection. The Cavs have their eye on one of them. If they send Sessions to L.A., the Cavs might also want one of the Lakers' backup point guards in return (Darius Morris or Andrew Goudelock).

The Lakers probably won't be doing anything until they've extinguished all hopes of trading for Orlando center Dwight Howard. They'll need all their assets to pull off a deal of that magnitude.

The Knicks also want Sessions, but don't appear to have anything to send back to the Cavs. Shooting guard Landry Fields might make some sense, but the Knicks apparently want to hold on to him.

-- The Cavs would likely be able to get a high draft pick for center Anderson Varejao. They'd be crazy to deal him right now. If they traded him, they'd have to find another quality big man, which isn't easy.

Some say Varejao, 29, will be too old by the time the Cavs are ready to become a serious contender again. That might be correct.

ESPN's Bill Simmons threw out a trade scenario this week in which Varejao ended up with his beloved Celtics. He thought the Celtics should send center Jermaine O'Neal (an unrestricted free agent after this year), their first-round pick and the Los Angeles Clippers' first-rounder to the Cavs in exchange for Varejao.

The Cavs might listen to something like that.

-- Forward Antawn Jamison's name continues to be bandied about. I think his $15.1 million expiring contract is valuable to the Cavs. If they keep him, his contract comes off their books this summer.

They could find a team interested in taking him, but they'd have to take back a lot of salary, something they don't want to do. It's unlikely they'd find a team willing to give up a first-round pick for him. If they could, it would be at the bottom of the first round.

The Cavs have trouble scoring. If they dealt Jamison, they'd routinely score in the high 80s.

-- Swingman Alonzo Gee is a free agent after this season. I'd sign him to a contract extension now and not let him become a free agent. He's shown he's willing to work. He's one of the team's best players right now. He's young (24), and he's a keeper.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Sun Feb 05 2012 12:42 PM

I dunno...I don't think either the Celtics or the Clips will be in the lottery this year, so you're looking at a couple 1st round picks in the late teens to early 20s, plus a rental on a guy with bad knees.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Sun Feb 05 2012 12:53 PM

This coming draft is going to be a very deep draft.

I think that we can find a really high quality SF and SG by the middle of the draft .... and who knows ..... maybe we can even pair up one of those picks, plus our 2 seconds and a future 1st rounder from the Heat and move up a little further.

Stranger things have happened.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Sun Feb 05 2012 01:01 PM

True. The one nice thing is that we still control Andy for several years, so if the deal isn't what we want this season we don't have to trade him just to make a move. We've got 1st rounders from Miami next year and 2015 (assuming Miami makes the playoffs next year, which I think is basically a given). I'd be more interested in bundling up a bunch of the second-rounders we have (2012 NOLA, 2013, 2014 Orlando, our own picks) to make a move.

I do agree with that article that we should 1) lock up Gee for several years right now, and 2) let Jamison's deal expire at the end of the year. I don't think what we'd get back would be worth it in a trade.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Sun Feb 05 2012 11:12 PM

i am on the sell-high side, but only if you can sell high. picks in 20s ain't selling high

Ballpeen
(Legend)
Mon Feb 06 2012 06:37 AM

It may not be high, but combined they could turn in to that.

Sounds like the Cavs have a ton of picks on the horizon. We need to turn them in to players to go with Irving, who by the way is looking to be the real deal.

I agree with the writer, we need to get Gee signed. I think he is turning in to a plus player. We need to keep him.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Feb 06 2012 09:11 AM

i agree on Gee. he's looking like a solid rotation player, and we need those guys.

ExclDawg
(Hall of Famer)
Mon Feb 06 2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

I'd be more interested in bundling up a bunch of the second-rounders we have (2012 NOLA, 2013, 2014 Orlando, our own picks) to make a move.

Make a move to what? The high-second round? We could MAYBE look at getting a very-bottom of the first round pick for a package of 2nd rounders ... only because a team doesn't want to pay guaranteed money to someone who's a legitimate second rounder. Other than that, we're not getting a lottery pick for a package of 2nd rounders.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Mon Feb 06 2012 09:45 AM

We're not getting a lottery pick for a couple picks in the 20s either.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Feb 06 2012 09:46 AM

i agree. the NBA isn't like the other sports when it comes to the draft. it's much harder to get good picks (unless the Clippers lose their minds again, but they won't have a good pick this year)

i am still rooting against Minny though so that if they win the lotto, then the Clippers could have had the picks to the #1 overall pick in consecutive years (Irving and likely Anthony Davis) and gave them both away.

candyman92
(Legend)
Mon Feb 06 2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

then the Clippers could have had the picks to the #1 overall pick in consecutive years (Irving and likely Anthony Davis) and gave them both away.

Would not have mattered much. Blake and Davis could not play together. Davis is a pure PF in the NBA. He would get destroyed if he tried playing C.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Feb 06 2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

then the Clippers could have had the picks to the #1 overall pick in consecutive years (Irving and likely Anthony Davis) and gave them both away.

Would not have mattered much. Blake and Davis could not play together. Davis is a pure PF in the NBA. He would get destroyed if he tried playing C.

I don't know. Maybe you could put Blake at C against most teams these days. There are few legitimately scary offensive C's these days and 2 super-athletic PFs would be a scary proposition in most matchups. And regardless, they would still have Kaman to matchup on defense for large portions of the game. And Eric Gordon on offense.

not that it matters, it would just be funny if it happened. Twolves are good enough this year that they shouldn't need to worry.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Mon Feb 06 2012 09:38 PM

I say just keep Andy. You'll never get max value in return for him, and there is such a thing as too many draft picks in the NBA. And unlike the NFL you don't just package up picks and move up.

His stock may never be higher, but the most I can see us getting is a first outside of the lottery. Not worth it.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Feb 06 2012 11:06 PM

agree that if we don't get overwhelmed, we should feel no pressure to move him for the sake of moving him.

Ballpeen
(Legend)
Tue Feb 07 2012 05:47 AM

I agree with both you and Spergon. NBA picks aren't anything like NFL picks. In football you have 22 positions to fill. More if you count kickers. You also need way more depth.

In basketball you only have 5 positions to fill and really only have 3 depth positions to fill since most of your depth players are more or less tweeners....guys who can play a couple of position fairly well.

Since teams know you only need two really good players, surrounded by 3 more decent guys, teams are less willing to move down. You can find decent players and depth players all day long. Some of those guys aren't even playing in the NBA. They can be found.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Tue Feb 07 2012 12:16 PM

The only way to move up once the lottery and draft order have been set, is from a team way outside of the lottery that just doesn't see the use in the pick, because they're a good team. Maybe they'd rather have a 2nd round pick, take a foreign player, and let him develop overseas, and that's only if they don't see that guy with their current 1st round pick.

It just doesn't happen.

I honestly don't even know if I'd give up Andy to a team that is borderline 8-seed/lottery.

Assuming the Cavs get into the lotto and at best get a top-10 pick, this thing could get turned around quickly if done right, and Andy could be part of the future. I think the pick of Kyrie Irving sped up this process a year or maybe even 2 years.

ExclDawg
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 12:41 PM

About the only way it happens is if there is a 3 or 4 team trade. The "playoff" team would get Andy, we would get the lottery pick, and the 3rd/4th team would get some sort of cap-relief/assortment of need-based players/low draft picks. But like I said before, with the amnesty rule, I don't know that there are a ton of teams looking to deperately shed salary.

Part of me would like to see him go to the Clippers ... if only for the small chance to see Mo Williams and Andy take down Lebron in an NBA finals series.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 07:54 PM

So The Heat get alot of Fast Breaks basically because they stop playing defense... That's cute...

Hey I'm Dwayne Wade, Come down and play D? Nah I'll just hang out here under my basket so someone can give me the ball...

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:01 PM

Know what's funny? All the talk last year about what a good basketball player Joel Anthony is.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:04 PM

Casspi comes across as the most unathletic person I've ever seen on a non-ymca basketball court... He's just that white guy that shoots threes and thinks he can go to the rim against all the big black guys...

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:09 PM

Lebron James has never seen a shot he didn't get fouled on...

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:11 PM

Somehow the Cavs managed to have Luke Harangody, Christian Sky-enga and Ryan Hollins on the court together for over two minutes and aren't trailing by double digits. I consider that a small victory in and of itself.

LeBron wanted none of Alonzo Gee going to the rim on that dunk, too.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:14 PM

I don't like how Sessions is playing tonight, it seems any time someone pressures him full court he loses he train of thought...

I think Hollins could become a great BACKUP center some day...

Hey lets NOT leave Chris Bosh wide open, just a thought...

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:18 PM

Yeah, they still haven't figured out that Bosh is automatic from the elbow.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:25 PM

The ball is not bouncing our way at all tonight...

Did someone just legit throw Casspi aside or was i seeing something?

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:36 PM

I love Alonzo Gee.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:38 PM

Is it bad that I got even a LITTLE excited when Jameson came up limping a bit?

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:42 PM

Who needs a PG? I'm totally done with Sessions. Maybe he's read the reports and is done with us? I dunno, doesn't seem like himself tonight...

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:45 PM

Yeah. Without Jamison we score 75 points a night. I guess if you want to guarantee a high pick.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:50 PM

His wrist or whatever must be getting better, because for the last week or so it seemed like every shot he put up hit the front of the rim...

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 08:57 PM

I'm watching the Heat's coverage, watching them interview one of their assistant coaches about the Cavs was weird...

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 09:22 PM

Maybe it's just me, but Dwyane Wade looks old tonight.

And apparently its legal to dunk in a ball that's sitting on the rim...

...if you're LeBron James.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 09:26 PM

Hey, Ryan Hollins, they're called Free Throws for a reason... They're free...

And I HATE anyone that does any retarded hand motion after making a 3... Looking at you Chalmers...

I like how Miami "picks up their intensity" when guys like Harengody are playing.. Has nothing to do with the fact that he sucks...

Why our offense seemed be running through him for a bit I'll never understand..

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 09:28 PM

Missed a dozen free throws and still only trailing by six is not too shabby.

Trailing by six because you've missed a dozen free throws, on the other hand...

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 09:30 PM

I'm hoping for an Indiana/OKC NBA Finals. Just so everyone in the NY/LA/Etc markets can go "Wait... What?"

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 09:41 PM

I'm loving the discrepancy in what is considered a foul for each of the teams here. Jamison gets laid out going to the basket with no call. Haslem gets a tap on the wrist and he's at the line.

Well, it was fun to hang around for 3.5 quarters.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 09:43 PM

I wonder what would happen if Eyenga actually understood the game of basketball and how to use his abilities in it..

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Feb 07 2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

I'm hoping for an Indiana/OKC NBA Finals. Just so everyone in the NY/LA/Etc markets can go "Wait... What?"

Denver wouldn't be a bad option either (stupid Gallinari's ankle)

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Denver wouldn't be a bad option either (stupid Gallinari's ankle)

They we're my first choice, but I honestly think OKC is going to destroy the West this year.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Feb 07 2012 09:56 PM

actually, thinking about it more, Portland would be ideal. crazy fans, 1 sport city.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 09:59 PM

Cavs make a shot, Miami Makes a shot

Miami misses a shot, Cleveland Misses a shot or turns it over

^ Not the recipe to make a comeback.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 10:04 PM

Hollins, Harangody and Eyenga combined for 45 minutes tonight, Cavs shot 39% from the field and 67% from the line, and still led late in the 3rd. Not a moral victories guy, but I'm not going to complain.

I_Rogue
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 10:05 PM

nice to see Lechoke show up at garbage time.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 10:06 PM

Hollins and Eyenga i won't complain about, They bring Size and Athleticism...

Harengody on the other hand... Ugh. I love the guy, because he nailed a 3 pointer in NBA2k11 for me to beat my bro once, and for the next year anytime I saw him i'd yell his name (cause it's a fun name to yell)

But he's horrible..

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

nice to see Lechoke show up at garbage time.

Gotta get a couple SportsCenter replays doesn't he?

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 10:08 PM

They (Hollins and Eyenga) also bring a complete inability to score the ball. My point is, they don't sniff 2/3 of NBA rosters, and they saw significant action tonight against a team that's supposed to be the best in the league, and the team didn't get blown out.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 10:15 PM

PG - Irving, Sessions
SG - Parker, Eyenga
SF - Casspi, Gee
PF - Jameson, Thompson
C - Verajao, Hollins
Bench: Gibson, Samuels, Harengody

That's basically what we have going right now, right?

I'd try a starting 5 of

Irving
Gee
Jameson
Thompson
Verajao

Let Irving run it, Gee be "OH EM" from the 2 Guard, Allow Jameson to stand on the 3 point line and shoot 3s all day like he likes to do, and develop a defensive tandem with TT and AV...

I think i'm ganna buy NBA2k12 tomorrow...

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 10:30 PM

That plus Semih Erden. I'd put Gibson ahead of Eyenga, too.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 07 2012 10:33 PM

Has Boobie been playing more 2 this year? I know he's not a true PG, but I assumed Sessions was only still around cause Gibson was hurt.

With Gee's ever grow abailities, I think we're a solid 2 away from being a constant #6-8 seed... So if we can get someone (not named Casspi) to push Gee to the bench to bring the energy off of it, I think we'll be in good shape...

cfrs15
(Legend)
Tue Feb 07 2012 11:35 PM

Being a constant six to eight seed is one of the worst things to be in the NBA.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Feb 07 2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Being a constant six to eight seed is one of the worst things to be in the NBA.

the worst thing being the constant 9seed

cfrs15
(Legend)
Wed Feb 08 2012 12:18 AM

At least if you are 9th you have some shot in the lottery.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Wed Feb 08 2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

At least if you are 9th you have some shot in the lottery.

I believe the Bulls were the 9-seed when they won the lottery that got them Derek Rose.

I know that's the exception, not the rule, but it would have been a lot better than getting shredded by the Celtics in the one year that the Celtics won it all

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 08 2012 10:00 AM

Bulls had the 9th best lottery odds, not the 9th seed in the conference. They were 4th in the Central, 11th overall I believe. The best non-playoff team has only won it once in the current lottery setup, 1993 Orlando Magic.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 08 2012 07:18 PM

Well, our odds for getting a high draft pick just got a whole lot better, because Kyrie is out with a concussion

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Wed Feb 08 2012 07:47 PM

Great ...............

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 08 2012 08:31 PM

Did AC just say "lighting his ass up tonight" ?

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 08 2012 09:03 PM

Gotta love AC.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Wed Feb 08 2012 09:15 PM

Speaking of asses .... these guys are playing theirs off tonight.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Wed Feb 08 2012 09:21 PM

And as soon as I said something .......

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Wed Feb 08 2012 09:38 PM

Nice win for the Cavaliers tonight.

Man Sessions had a great, great game. Paul had 1 more rebound, but Sessions had more points and 1 more assist.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 08 2012 09:41 PM

Heh, sure didn't see that one coming. Nice win.

JE159
(Practice Squad)
Thu Feb 09 2012 12:04 AM

I was reading a blog by David Thorpe on ESPN about how the Timberwolves should trade their first round pick for a veteran to help their young team continue their playoff push. They have a comment section below and I posted this. I don't know if this topic has been brought up, but wanted to get your input on this scenario:

Cavs fan here, would you want someone like Anderson Varejao?? If so, what picks/players would you trade for him??

I got two responses...one was:

i wouldnt to me he aint the player he was made out to be and we have big men that already do what he does... lol

and the other:

I'm a Wolves fan and would absolutely take Varejao, but he has really played himself into almost untouchable status right now. We would have to give up something like D. Will, Pekovic/Beasley, the Shell of Brad Miller (expiring contract), and that 1st rounder from the Jazz. And probably take on the Cavs' worst contract, whatever that may be. Even then...dicey.

Thoughts??

CleVeLaNd_sTrife
(Dawg Talker)
Thu Feb 09 2012 12:19 AM

Good win tonight to start off the 8 game home swing for the Cavs. How did Kyrie Irving get a concussion? I must have missed the play. I'm assuming it happened against the Heat.

candyman92
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Good win tonight to start off the 8 game home swing for the Cavs. How did Kyrie Irving get a concussion? I must have missed the play. I'm assuming it happened against the Heat.

I think Wade kicked him

Dawg in Dayton
(Hall of Famer)
Thu Feb 09 2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Man Sessions had a great, great game. Paul had 1 more rebound, but Sessions had more points and 1 more assist.

Tell ya' what...Many wanna trade Sessions...Not me...

He fits right in there age wise with what we're doing...He's an outstanding Back-Up PG...I'd almost say NO to any offer that wasn't a Lotto pick...Some of these younger guys have to be kept for depth purposes...It's not all about your starting 5...Guys like Gee and Samuels come to mind...

And "V" needs to go to the highest bidder...He doesn't fit the age thing...

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Thu Feb 09 2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Hit his head on DWade's knee as he was falling to the floor after a driving layup. If you watched the Heat game, it was the play where he was laying on the court pounding his fist on the floor for a second or two.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 08:54 AM

lolclippers

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 09:47 AM

no more talking about trading Andy from me. I won't be upset if we get a bounty from him, but I'm not going to talk about it either.

note: the link shows Antawn Jamison but the quote was Andy.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/quotes_clippers_120208.html

Quote:

(On the fans’ appreciation for his play): “Since I got to Cleveland, the fans have taken to me. I didn’t speak any English, but every time I would get in a game, I felt like I had somebody behind me, helping and motivating me. The fans did that for me when I got here. And now that they know me, I just want to thank them for everything they’ve done for me.”

(On being a Clevelander): “I feel like my football team is the Browns, my basketball team is the Cavs, and my baseball team is the Indians. That’s all I know. I feel like I’m from here.”

PrplPplEater
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 11:16 AM

I haven't followed the team at all this year, but I'd absolutely hate it if we traded Andy.

Yes, it's a business and technically a player is a commodity, but at some point they become more than that to the team and the city - and I think that's where we are with Andy just as we were with Z. He's one of us and belongs here - and he's playing well, so why even think about shipping him out?

I think sometimes people just get a little too trade happy in trying to come up with ways to make creative moves... and usually just for the sake of making a move.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Thu Feb 09 2012 11:24 AM

I'm not trading Sessions, Andy or Jamison for anything or anyone that doesn't have a positive impact from day 1 of next season. We still control Sessions and Andy next year, and we don't need to take on a bloated deal just to unload Jamison. Chris Grant is in the driver's seat here.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Tell ya' what...Many wanna trade Sessions...Not me...

He fits right in there age wise with what we're doing...He's an outstanding Back-Up PG...I'd almost say NO to any offer that wasn't a Lotto pick...Some of these younger guys have to be kept for depth purposes...It's not all about your starting 5...Guys like Gee and Samuels come to mind...

And "V" needs to go to the highest bidder...He doesn't fit the age thing...

Sessions can opt out of his deal at the end of this season.

If we can resign him, or have him agree to exercise his option, then I would love to have him here. If he wants to leave in search of a starting role, then I would rather see us get something for him. If I were the team, this is exactly the conversation I would be having with him right now. He's not going to be the difference, this year, between this team winning it all or not. If he is bound and determined to leave, then get value for him today, rather than lose it all at the end of the year.

I am hesitant to trade Andy unless we get a huge, enormous bounty. If I can't get a lotto pick plus at least a young player or 2, I'm just not interested in trading him.

I have gone back and forth on this stuff so much this season that it's crazy. I believe that Andy is one of the top Centers in the NBA right now. He's not super tall, and he's not super big, but he plays his butt off, and I like his chances of grabbing a double double no matter who he is up against.

I know that he is getting older, but he is only 29. Z played really well till he was 33 or so, (and till he was 35 overall) then started slowing down. He had a lot more wear and tear on his body as well. Shaq, while a physical marvel, was also a banger who played until 39. I think that Andy can play really well into his mid 30s. That gives him time to contribute to a championship team here in Cleveland. He also wants to be here. That cannot be overestimated. Though James walked away, other guys who have played for the Cavs have lamented having to leave. Mo Williams, Delonte West) A guy like Andy, who is gaining notoriety this season, and who really likes being in Cleveland can be a help in rehabilitating the image of Cleveland among the players. It certainly can't hurt anyway.

Anyway ..... I keep Andy unless I can really just rob another team blind. He is so important to this team, today, and 54-6 years into the future, that I just cannot see us getting appropriate value back.

candyman92
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

I think sometimes people just get a little too trade happy in trying to come up with ways to make creative moves... and usually just for the sake of making a move.

And sometimes fans get too emotionally attatche to players

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 12:19 PM

Z was always more creaky than Andy, so I don't think his decline will be as steep, but it will still be there. Gotta love his attitude and style though.

Sessions does have a player-option, but it's for $4.5mil. I'd say it's better than 50/50 that he'll stay on that option (not fully sure about how many teams will have cap room as that would affect him getting more the most)

candyman92
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 12:34 PM

I am on the Meyers Leonard bandwagon. The kid would be nasty in the pick and roll with Kyrie.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

I am on the Meyers Leonard bandwagon. The kid would be nasty in the pick and roll with Kyrie.

hey now, i'm already sitting shotgun. i've been discussing him on a couple of other places and really like how he plays. great distributer, good shot, good rebounder. it's written that he floats alot, but I haven't seen it in the 2 games I watched.

picking in the #8 - #10 range, he's at the front of the list (if MKG or J.Lamb don't drop)

not to mention he'd be the perfect complement to Andy (guy who can help open up some space like Z did, but still has his athleticism intact too).

candyman92
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 01:01 PM

I will admit it, Meyers does float around the perimeter too much. Just watch him on offense against OSU. I like his defense a lot. He gave sully trouble when they played.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 02:29 PM

I haven't seen him (well, paid attention to anyway) play, but I like the looks of his awareness and passing on the court. He seems to understand the game really well.He seems to have great hands, and I love the hook shot.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 03:29 PM

I don't want to bag on lbj too much, but anyone think andy is the same guy and not this giantly improved player that we've been missing out on the last few years?

It probably helps to have a legitimate point guard that gets you involved with the game, instead of just expecting you to pick up their garbage, or shoot with 3 seconds left on the shot clock, because you couldn't create anything.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 03:32 PM

Andy is not good at creating his own stuff. He is best when he is on the move and he is hit with the ball on the move (either rebound or shot). Irving and to a lesser extent Sessions are good at getting him the ball on the move.

I think that Andy is a much improved version of what he was. I think he understands that he is now a veteran leader of the club and that he needs to take that leadership role. That can spill into some offensive confidence, which allows him to do more there too.

On defense, he just keeps adjusting his game to the rules and calls of the ref's to remain one of the elite on-ball big man defenders (not elite at banging in the paint, but he is getting better there too).

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 03:33 PM

oh, and I do like that it's not Andy's fault when the store has the wrong kind of milk.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Thu Feb 09 2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

oh, and I do like that it's not Andy's fault when the store has the wrong kind of milk.

That was one of the whiniest(is that a word?) comments LeBron has ever made...

Aww poor me, everybody hates me... Everythings my fault... Please feel sorry for me...

I don't usually wish injury to a player, but I think Lebron getting hurt for the season, then the Heat winning the title would be one of the most hilarious sports events ever... It'd be worse than him not winning one at all...

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 05:08 PM

that would be funny. would he say that he has a ring when questioned the next season?

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Thu Feb 09 2012 05:18 PM

Mo, Sessions
Parker, Gibson
Lebron, Jameson
Bosh, JJ
Z, Andy

I'm not sure that lineup would of been possible last year, and obviously I'm biased, but based on how last years playoffs went, we at least make the Finals, we may not even of needed Bosh to get there...

Dallas/Cleveland would of been a HOT series..

The crowd in Dallas made Miami fans look worse than they already are..

"Fan Up!" - Umm, hey guys, we have like, the two best players in the league, and another top 15 guy... could you pleeease show up to the games..? We'll give you a free white t-shirt!

I'm feeling very ranty right now apparently..

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 05:49 PM

I don't know. Not sure if we breeze by Chicago to be honest. Deng guarded Wade most of the time so w/o him he's on LeBron. And we can't have LeBron guard Rose for all 48min. Chalmers is terrible on offense but he was at least passable on defense.

I think Ferry messed up when he started scrapping any defensive integrity we had on our team for offense-only players. Even Mike Brown could only hide so many defensive warts at a time.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Thu Feb 09 2012 06:01 PM

Well at least we wouldn't have had to worry about Carlos "Going through the Motions" Boozer, because, as we know, he usually doesn't travel to Cleveland when his team plays there... Oh dang, Ow, my... Umm... Elbow! Yeah lets go with Elbow..

As fun as it is watching this team grow, it's still never going to mean the same as had we won one between 07-10...

With me, anything less than a Browns SB win is celebration, but its not, even close to the same league, Cavs and Indians are the teams I root for in those sports, but only because the Browns are from Cleveland.

Had I grown up an hour from Cincinatti (ew) or any other city, it would be Football, Basketball, Baseball in that order... Unless they had a (Pro) Hockey Team, that might of been easier for me to get into it that way...

I'm never going to get this homework done...

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 06:15 PM

Noah, Boozer, and Deng simply did not show up versus Miami. We all knew Boozer wouldn't, because he's pretty much about himself and only himself, and we know Deng is soft, but I was shocked to see Noah no-show in that series. I hate the guy, but can admit he's a decent player.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Thu Feb 09 2012 06:56 PM

I used to think had Boozer stayed here we would have won a title with him and LBJ, not so sure now. He has zero intensity, seems to be always going through the motions. I don't think he either a) Cares about winning b) LOVES the game of basketball or c) both a and b... I'd go with C...

Deng IMO is the MOST inconsistant player in the NBA, he's either playing at an All Star level, or he's throwing up the stupidest shots that have no chance of ever making it... And that's on a night to night basis...

Noah I thiought was on his way to being a top Center in the league, he doesn't have GREAT height or size, but like Andy, he just never stops. Him and AV always fit the "Guy you hate on the other team but would love if he was on yours" mold... (Honorable mention, Luis Scola)

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 09 2012 09:36 PM

you're crazy about Deng being soft. at least in that series.

he did his job. and that was to slow down Wade. go look at Wade's numbers that series, Deng did what he could.

candyman92
(Legend)
Fri Feb 10 2012 12:37 AM

Gotta ask...

http://i41.tinypic.com/f5afb.jpg

GOAT defense?

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Fri Feb 10 2012 12:42 AM

LMAO What is that supposed to be?

Is that the famed and feared "Patty Cake" defense?

CleVeLaNd_sTrife
(Dawg Talker)
Fri Feb 10 2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Gotta ask...

http://i41.tinypic.com/f5afb.jpg

GOAT defense?

I suppose he thought Griffin double dribbled, lol. That .gif is hilarious.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 10 2012 07:26 AM

T. Rex technique

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 10 2012 09:14 PM

'Tawn is lighting the Bucks up. Damn

Sprained wrist for Andy

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 10 2012 09:57 PM

Couldn't miss all night until it came time for him to hit a free throw lol.

Bucks almost had us at the end as well.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 10 2012 10:18 PM

He's got 34 points on 67% shooting. He's always been a bad free throw shooter. Not gonna blame him if/when the Cavs lose.

Just got totally robbed on that Gibson drive. Gooden standing with both feet on the restricted circle and still moving, and gets the charge call. Total crap.

In other news, Jeremy Lin currently has 29 points on 10 of 18 against the Lakers early in the 4th.

candyman92
(Legend)
Fri Feb 10 2012 10:22 PM

I hated that strategy at the end of OT.

LOYALDAWG
(Dawg Talker)
Fri Feb 10 2012 10:28 PM

I am kind off wondering why Gee drove with 9 seconds left. Why not move the ball around and get a better shot to set yourself up to foul at the end.

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 10 2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

I hated that strategy at the end of OT.

Ditto.

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Fri Feb 10 2012 10:38 PM

jk they didnt play a good end game for sure. Jamison once he hit 34 pts hit a brick wall. Probably because he knew his high as a Cav was 35 and instead of just shooting the ball was thinking ok I can do this.
Lot of late calls we didnt get. Rough loss to take as a Cavs fan.

Punchsmack
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 10 2012 11:54 PM

Linsanity strikes again. Kobe essentially called him a scrub before the game...."Would you consider guarding Lin if he's having one of those games" Kobe burst into laughter. Who's laughing now?

New York Knicks guard Jeremy Lin scores a career-high 38 points against the Los Angeles Lakers at Madison Square Garden. Here's every basket he made.

bigdatut
(Dawg Talker)
Sat Feb 11 2012 12:21 AM

We are all Witnesses.

candyman92
(Legend)
Sat Feb 11 2012 01:20 AM

PrplPplEater
(Legend)
Sat Feb 11 2012 08:11 AM

I'm getting to go to my first Cavs game since like 1975 tonight - never even been inside the Q, yet.
To top it off, actually got seats in a suite, lol... totally stoked!

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Sat Feb 11 2012 10:42 AM

congrats and enjoy.

NickBrownsFan
(Dawg Talker)
Sat Feb 11 2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

I'm getting to go to my first Cavs game since like 1975 tonight - never even been inside the Q, yet.
To top it off, actually got seats in a suite, lol... totally stoked!

That is so cool. Ive been down there alot not this year though. Ive sat in nose bleed, sides, Club seats, pretty much everywhere and would love to be in a Suite someday.
Nice part we have more than 1 banner now hanging in the raffters. Someday we will get the best 1.
Have a great time, hopefully they will bring home a win tonight.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Sat Feb 11 2012 10:52 AM

Have fun...gonna be a tough game. Hot Sixers with no Kyrie and no Andy.

Flap
(Dawg Talker)
Sat Feb 11 2012 04:37 PM

That should put all of the AV trade rumors to bed...

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Sat Feb 11 2012 04:48 PM

What's that...his broken hand that has him out indefinitely?

candyman92
(Legend)
Sat Feb 11 2012 04:51 PM

Derrick Rose is a chucker, but gets the pass Westbrook doesn't get because he has less offensive help on his team. Why don't most people realize this.

candyman92
(Legend)
Sat Feb 11 2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

This is why I want to trade him. His style of play is going to end his career soon. Injuries happen to players like him sooner or later and varejao is/was no exception

Flap
(Dawg Talker)
Sat Feb 11 2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Yup.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Sat Feb 11 2012 05:32 PM

j/c

andy should just play with his broken hand. i mean it'll be more like when his first few years where he can't shoot, but that still makes him the 3rd or 4th best player on the team (rather than 2nd when healthy)

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Sat Feb 11 2012 09:11 PM

A poll from the Cavs site:

What is your favorite Austin Carr-ism?

"Get that weak stuff outta here!"
59%

"Throws the hammer down!"
24%

"From deep in the Q!"
12%

"He caught him a bird!"
3%

"There''s a mouse in the house!"
2%

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Sat Feb 11 2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

A poll from the Cavs site:

What is your favorite Austin Carr-ism?

"Get that weak stuff outta here!"
59%

"Throws the hammer down!"
24%

"From deep in the Q!"
12%

"He caught him a bird!"
3%

"There''s a mouse in the house!"
2%

I would've voted for "Lighting his ass up tonight!" if it was an option...

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Sat Feb 11 2012 09:29 PM

I understand that we are missing some key peices...

But why do we play so crappy at home..?

PrplPplEater
(Legend)
Sun Feb 12 2012 09:13 AM

It was a cool experience at the game... they really put on a good show (minus what happened on the court, lol).

Given that we're a middle of the road team when healthy, it isn't too surprising to get smoked like that when we're without Andy and Irving.... but, holy smokes, it was like Philly couldn't miss last night! If we farted at their end, they were shooting two, too.... being in the suite was pretty cool, though. Great seats and getting decent food delivered made it nice.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Mon Feb 13 2012 08:53 AM

The NBA experience in person is incredible. I still say a lower section seat 1-5 rows back is the best ticket of the 4 major team sports. You don't realize how big those guys are until they are within distance of you actually hearing them speak at a normal volume level.

I got a chance to see the Lakers and Cavs about 6 years ago, and sat right behind the bench of the Lakers. Sunday afternoon ABC game of the week. It was incredible. Only time I've ever sat that close.

Baseball and football I can honestly enjoy from wherever. I've sat 50 yd line a few rows back for the Browns, but I honestly was more than ok sitting up in the nosebleeds with the crazies. Jacobs er Progressive Field doesn't have a bad seat in that place. It truly is a baseball treasure.

I've sat lower bowl for NHL games a few different times and that rivals NBA, but still isn't quite the same.

PrplPplEater
(Legend)
Mon Feb 13 2012 09:09 AM

I would absolutely love to check out a game sitting down there. The suite was cool as hell, but like you said, you have no clue as to their real size from up there.

I tell you what though... you can really feel the heat from the flamethrowers on the scoreboard from up there, lol!!!

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Mon Feb 13 2012 11:28 PM

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/...t-race-not-play

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-d...J_jlp12igo5nYcB

candyman92
(Legend)
Tue Feb 14 2012 07:48 AM

I hate Mayweather. I wish he'd vanish off the face of the earth.

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 14 2012 07:50 AM

"Some lucky lady in NYC is gonna feel a couple inches of pain tonight."

lol

bigdatut
(Dawg Talker)
Tue Feb 14 2012 08:45 AM

Mayweather is just such a joke of a human. I wish him nothing but the worst in the ring and can't wait for the day when he's no longer a part of the sport.

And is it a requirement that Whitlock says something about 2-3 times a year so we all remember his name? Honestly, the only time I hear a thing about him is when he says something absurd.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Tue Feb 14 2012 09:07 AM

Jeremy Lin is getting all this pub because he plays in NY where anything decent is overkill.

Don't get me wrong, the dude is playing well, but if he was doing this in Cleveland or Milwaukee, is it leading sportscenter for 3 straight nights?

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Feb 14 2012 09:34 AM

leading, probably not. but a big factor? yeah. Brandon Jennings got huge pub when he started his career off quickly afterall.

but yeah, the fact that it's the Knicks, they have been desperate for a PG for years now, especially in D'Antoni's system, he's a Harvard guy who was cut from 2 different teams in the preseason (Warriors and Rockets) along with the fact he's the first Asian-heritage/American born NBA player all have a piece in this one blowing up (along with SC "needing" a lead item now that Tebow is in the offseason).

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Tue Feb 14 2012 10:26 AM

I wanna hate it, because it's ESPN doing what they do, and it's the Knicks, but it's such a nice story. You rarely see stuff like this is the NBA. This is an NFL type story. Guy comes out of nowhere. Undrafted, barely scouted, etc.

I don't hate the Knicks, I just can't stand 75% of Knick fans, and also the way ESPN treats them. I get it, they are the biggest sports market in the country, but they don't even hide the fact that they want them to be awesome.

I'm not a huge fan of Dantoni's philosophy/system either.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Feb 14 2012 10:28 AM

i know, how many guys that actually go to college do you still not remember hearing their name and they get knocked around the league before getting a real chance and thriving?

it's crazy to happen in a sport where usually if you have talent your name is out there since you were 17.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Tue Feb 14 2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

i know, how many guys that actually go to college do you still not remember hearing their name and they get knocked around the league before getting a real chance and thriving?

it's crazy to happen in a sport where usually if you have talent your name is out there since you were 17.

They consider guys who do well that were drafted second round to be unbelievable stories, so yeah this is definitely one of the best I've ever seen in the NBA.

Punchsmack
(Hall of Famer)
Tue Feb 14 2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Jeremy Lin is getting all this pub because he plays in NY where anything decent is overkill.

Don't get me wrong, the dude is playing well, but if he was doing this in Cleveland or Milwaukee, is it leading sportscenter for 3 straight nights?

Yup, NewYork+Knicks+MeloOut+AmareOut+HisStory+KnicksStinkingForSoLong+HisPlay+HimBeingAsianAmerican are all the factors that's causing this media onslaught. And you know what, I'm digging all of it. The next time the Knicks are on TV, I will be watching.

It's a great story. He was a day or two away from being cut again....and then BAM, he's the center of the basketball universe. He can only go down from here, but who cares, I'll be enjoying the ride.

bigdatut
(Dawg Talker)
Tue Feb 14 2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

I don't hate the Knicks, I just can't stand 75% of Knick fans, and also the way ESPN treats them. I get it, they are the biggest sports market in the country, but they don't even hide the fact that they want them to be awesome.

I don't care that NY is NY, or that the Knicks were a garbage fire before this kid finally got a chance or that this story is being beaten to death in the usual ESPN fashion... I only care if this kid can somehow make that team good enough to be another team in the way of the Heat. Anything - and any city - that prevents Miami from winning the Championship is alright in my book.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Feb 14 2012 01:24 PM

umm, yeah. I don't think Lin and the Knicks are going to knock off the Heat in the playoffs.

I do hope they get them in the 1st round. Just for the chance that Chandler plays as physical as possible with LeBron near the rim. It's not like Melo is going to actually guard him though.

bigdatut
(Dawg Talker)
Tue Feb 14 2012 01:31 PM

At no point did I say they're going to knock off the Heat, but no one can tell me they have no chance if this kid plays consistently good and Melo and Amare remember they're pretty good basketball players.

I consider that being in the way of the Heat winning a Championship - and really that's all I care about.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Tue Feb 14 2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

At no point did I say they're going to knock off the Heat, but no one can tell me they have no chance if this kid plays consistently good and Melo and Amare remember they're pretty good basketball players.

I consider that being in the way of the Heat winning a Championship - and really that's all I care about.

I hope the first team the Heat face in the playoffs knocks them out. I don't expect it ...... but I do fervently hope for such an outcome.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Feb 14 2012 01:38 PM

ok, fair enough I suppose. i'm more concerned with teams that have a good chance at knocking off the Heat this year. and honestly, I don't see a single team in the East right now.

the Bulls were playing great and they might have had a shot, but Rose has to now prove he will be past his back issues.

the 76ers and Pacers are built for this compressed schedule. great depth and not a huge dropoff when they play their backups. but, in the playoffs with more rest that becomes less of a factor. also, neither team is really built to completely take advantage of the Heat weaknesses.

the Hawks are the Hawks. maybe if everything clicked ever so perfect for them, but I doubt it. and no chance without a 100% Horford.

and then there's the Magic. they could be a team that gives the Heat problems. they have most of the components that you would look for when matching up with Miami. but, they really need a defensive wing stopper (or two) and that means they'd need to make a trade to get one this season knowing that they are still heavy underdogs and it could bite them on a rebuild if/when Dwight leaves.

the Celtics and Knicks finally give the East non-terrible teams to round out the playoffs but neither is a real factor in contending IMO.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Tue Feb 14 2012 02:01 PM

Totally agree. The East may has not been this mediocre in years.

The Bulls are a nice team, but do they really scare anybody? You know Boozer and Noah will disappear when it means the most. You know Deng can't get his own shot when the playoffs turn the game into a halfcourt contest.

The Pacers and Sixers are both a really good player away IMO.

The Magic are disfunctional, but I think they may be the team that could have the best chance.

The Celtics don't have the energy to get through more than one playoff series. I think that team is done until they steal someone else's superstar from them again.

Miami will probably get to the finals by default.

I know people hate them, but I would sign up for a Heat/OKC finals right now. I would not miss one second of that series.

candyman92
(Legend)
Tue Feb 14 2012 02:33 PM

The knicks have the best chance to beat Miami.

Chicago can't.

Boston is old.

Philly and Indiana need a super star.

Orlando probably won't.

Atlanta usually sucks come playoff time.

candyman92
(Legend)
Tue Feb 14 2012 08:15 PM

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 15 2012 11:29 PM

I guess it helps to have about a half weeks rest...

Indy has looked a little eh the passed few games.

A win is a win.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Wed Feb 15 2012 11:54 PM

Erden had one helluva game. It would be nice to see him start to develop while he has an opportunity to do so.

I liked some of what I saw out of Samuels last year, but he seems nailed to the bench for some reason this year.

I would guess that maybe we'll see Manny Harris with the injury to Gibson?

Frenchy
(Dawg Talker)
Thu Feb 16 2012 12:06 AM

It's been reported that Samuels showed up to camp in horrible shape and Scott won't give him any extended minutes til he is back in game shape.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Thu Feb 16 2012 12:20 AM

Yeah, I read that ..... but he is supposedly back in game shape.

I dunno.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Thu Feb 16 2012 12:22 AM

That's Corperryale L'Adorable Harris to you!

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Thu Feb 16 2012 12:22 AM

Yikes. LOL

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 16 2012 05:18 PM

When I think awesome dunks, I think:

Iman Shumpert, Chase Budinger, Derrick Williams and Paul George

Ummm, well, actually I don't. Budinger has crazy hops, so I like his inclusion. But, if we are going to not get the big names, then we should at least get the athletic freaks who are not overall skilled. as the NBA is finding out, people love an "out of nowhere" story.

My proposal would have been:

Christian Eyenga - something basketball related he could do well in. he could use the confidence. backup: Alonzo Gee.

Budinger - former all-american volleyball player with crazy hops. i'm all-in there.

Jeremy Evans - http://www.slamonline.com/online/media/slam-tv/2012/01/video-jeremy-evans-jumps-over-earl-watson/

Vince Carter - we need to save a spot for an aging superstar/veteran who was once one of the kings of the dunk. see if he can rise up to the challenge one last time. that and VC is the best dunker that ever lived, so there's that.

Backup: Derrick Favors

DCDAWGFAN
(Legend)
Thu Feb 16 2012 06:25 PM

I have been watching dunk contests since I was about 8 years old.. and it's old... jumping over a guy was neat a couple of times, now everybody has one of those. I think they should max out the height for the contest at 6'4"-6'5".. Dwight Howard has some nice dunks but watching a guy that can almost touch the rim standing still jump and dunk it just isn't that exciting. It's like, "I am going to show you how high I can jump and.. oh yea, on the way down I have to do this thing with the basketball." They could do most of the same athletic tricks without a hoop in the building and it wouldn't change much.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Thu Feb 16 2012 06:37 PM

Demarr Derozan basically ripped the whole thing after participating in it last year...

He was kind of upset he signed up for a dunk contest and was apparently entered in a Prop Contest...

I completely agreed with him...

And that fact that the guy who won it, used a KIA, one of the NBA's biggest sponsors... IN THE FINALS (It's almost as if he KNEW he'd be in the finals?!?!)

Dwight Howard put on a Cape, Nate Rob used a green basketball...

Bringing out a car and an entire singing choir (and then miss timing the dunk with the song) was just overly stupid...

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 16 2012 06:48 PM

let's not forget he jumped over the hood (not the roof) and acted like it was the greatest thing ever.

not to mention that he didn't even have to hold the ball while doing that (the ball was delivered by Baron when he already cleared the hood)

---

that said, if someone wants to get back to the VC style dunks, I am all in favor.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Thu Feb 16 2012 06:59 PM

The only part of all-star weekend that's really fun still is the rookies v sophs game

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Thu Feb 16 2012 07:01 PM

Come on, Baron Davis' big goofy tooth-filled grin popping out of the sunroof of the Kia was hilarious. And Dwight Howard dunking on the 12 foot rim or when he slapped the sticker with his face on it on the top of the backboard were still pretty cool. The prop rule has to go though. And at least Nate Robinson isn't around making it crappy anymore.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Thu Feb 16 2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

The only part of all-star weekend that's really fun still is the rookies v sophs game

I enjoy the 3 point shootout... Even the year Boobie was in it, he seems to care more about his hair style then actually competing...

candyman92
(Legend)
Thu Feb 16 2012 08:12 PM

Blake Griffin is more hype than substance. The clippers will get bounced out the moment they play a good defensive team.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Thu Feb 16 2012 08:22 PM

I like Blake Griffin, but I can see him, once he gets to the playoffs, being the guy that makes a few nice plays early when the energy is huge, and then you won't see him the rest of the game.

candyman92
(Legend)
Thu Feb 16 2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

I like Blake Griffin, but I can see him, once he gets to the playoffs, being the guy that makes a few nice plays early when the energy is huge, and then you won't see him the rest of the game.

I think blake is a good player, but like you said. He will not being dunking on guys all game. Just do what the Cavs did to him or hell make him take jump shots.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 16 2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

you mean he's the new Dominique Wilkins. yeah, I agree.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 17 2012 07:48 PM

Someone call Byron Scott and remind him that Chris Bosh always lights us up.

candyman92
(Legend)
Fri Feb 17 2012 07:52 PM

Got damn, Miami is not going to lose in the playoffs. This team is way too good.

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 17 2012 07:54 PM

I guess we're just gonna stand around and throw up 3's all night.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 17 2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Got damn, Miami is not going to lose in the playoffs. This team is way too good.

They're playing the Cavs. Missing three of their better players. And Wade is getting absolute gifts from the officials.

Freaking Dwyane Wade has got to be my least favorite player in the entire damn league.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Fri Feb 17 2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

I guess we're just gonna stand around and throw up 3's all night.

I believe that's called the Badger offense

candyman92
(Legend)
Fri Feb 17 2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They're playing the Cavs. Missing three of their better players. And Wade is getting absolute gifts from the officials.

Freaking Dwyane Wade has got to be my least favorite player in the entire damn league.

Who is going to beat them in the playoffs?

Maybe the Knicks or OKC.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 17 2012 07:59 PM

Who knows. Did you think the Mavs were going to beat them last year? That's why they play the games. Miami has exactly one player for whom crucial playoff moments are not too much to handle. And they still don't have a center or a point guard.

candyman92
(Legend)
Fri Feb 17 2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Who knows. Did you think the Mavs were going to beat them last year? That's why they play the games. Miami has exactly one player for whom crucial playoff moments are not too much to handle.

I remember seeing them cruise through the eastern conference unchallenged. The only team that will beat them is OKC or New York (if they click).

leadtheway
(Dawg Talker)
Fri Feb 17 2012 08:01 PM

This whole team is a damn joke, scott included...worthless.....Grant better clean house, if we are going to have to watch crappy product, i rather not pay jamison 15 million to clank 45000 shots a game and give up 40 to his guy every night...andy and kyrie are the only nba caliber players on this team...And someone tell ramon its ok to push wade back when youre getting backed down like a 5th grader...christ..lol the one game anyone in that arena cares about this year and its over halfway through the first. Kinda shows you how far away we are from being relevant again...thats why i'm getting rid of anyone over 30 and trying to stockpile picks for this deep draft coming up

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 17 2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Who knows. Did you think the Mavs were going to beat them last year? That's why they play the games. Miami has exactly one player for whom crucial playoff moments are not too much to handle.

I remember seeing them cruise through the eastern conference unchallenged. The only team that will beat them is OKC or New York (if they click).

I remember seeing the Cavs cruise through the playoffs until they hit a Boston team that was "too old" and then get their asses handed to them, too.

Considering I doubt they make it out of the East this year, I don't think OKC will get the chance. Slow the game down and sprinkle in some 2-3 zones from time to time and you'll beat Miami in a 7-game series. I can tell you one thing about whoever knocks them out: they'll have an excellent center.

candyman92
(Legend)
Fri Feb 17 2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Considering I doubt they make it out of the East this year, I don't think OKC will get the chance. Slow the game down and sprinkle in some 2-3 zones from time to time and you'll beat Miami in a 7-game series. I can tell you one thing about whoever knocks them out: they'll have an excellent center.

That's why I give the Knicks hope.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 17 2012 08:08 PM

I agree. If Carmelo can mesh with Jeremy Lin (and Lin can keep playing at the level he's playing at now) then that team has a chance to be something special. A (potentially) excellent PG with two top scorers and a top-flight center is the recipe for success in the NBA.

As for this game right now...this type of score is to be expected when you're clanging shots off the rim and nobody is even attempting to get offensive rebounds against a team that can only win by fastbreaking you to death. Maybe our ROY should consider making a shot.

That hit that Battier just gave defending Eyenga is a foul if its anyone on the Cavs guarding Wade.

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 17 2012 08:16 PM

Yeah there's already Linsanity on NBA gametime tonight lol.

I'll probably end up flipping back and forth between this debacle and gametime the rest of the night.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 17 2012 08:28 PM

Wow. Dwyane Wade just drew a foul by posting up on Gee and then flopping when Gee pulled the chair out. Then Norris Cole drove to the hoop and leaped and landed but didn't shoot until he had already landed, was untouched, and drew a shooting foul. Then LeBron just drove untouched to the basket and drew a foul. Sickening.

Cole moving into Gee and draws the charge. Neverending.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 17 2012 08:47 PM

I wonder if LeBron still wants to come back now...?

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 17 2012 09:54 PM

Tough to win when you shoot under 40% from the field and your opponent shoots 67% from outside the arc. And you're missing three key players. Not gonna be too upset about this one, other than the atrocious effort on the offensive glass. At one point somebody on the Cavs shot a three and all five Cavs players were outside the arc before the ball left the shooter's hand.

Kyrie's gonna have to step his game way up if they want to have any success in injury depletion mode. 33% from the field and 2 assists isn't gonna cut it.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 17 2012 10:16 PM

I'm glad I wasn't able to attend the game tonight, hopefully I'll get to one sooner or later...

Sidenote: I think the thing I hate most about ESPN.com is the fact that every video on every page plays automatically. It's annoying when I'm trying to read something, or when it lags my crappy desktop to the point that I can't even pause the video...

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Fri Feb 17 2012 10:34 PM

please stop the Knicks blather. no team without great team defense that can constantly mix things up and make the Heat take bad shots is going to beat them.

a team like the Knicks getting in a track meet with the Heat in the playoffs and not playing defense other than Chandler and Jeffries? that's a sweep folks.

Chicago is the only hope in the East and it's slim (Orlando if someone gifts them a wing defender and they keep Dwight). OKC, Memphis, SA, and a few others at least have a shot from the West.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Fri Feb 17 2012 10:47 PM

Yeah, it's hard to compete with one of, if not the best team in the NBA missing your starting C and SG ...... and your primary backup SG as well.

candyman92
(Legend)
Fri Feb 17 2012 11:33 PM

Chicago has zero chance of beating Miami. They were dominated last year. I would not be shocked if Miami swept them in the playoffs

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Fri Feb 17 2012 11:53 PM

But they have Rip now!

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Fri Feb 17 2012 11:53 PM

i wouldn't be surprised either. sadly, that's what the East is this year.

candyman92
(Legend)
Sat Feb 18 2012 12:24 AM

I don't know if there's any team in worse shape the the Suns at the moment. They have no talent to develop what so ever.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Sat Feb 18 2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

I don't know if there's any team in worse shape the the Suns at the moment. They have no talent to develop what so ever.

i like Markieff Morris. and, yeah, they need to trade Nash just to bottom out and start building back up, but it's such a fair-weather town that it's tough to do (they support the Suns more than the Dbacks, Cards, Coyotes, but still alot of non-lifers in that city make it pretty fair-weather)

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Sat Feb 18 2012 12:47 AM

SHANNON BROWN!

way to be passive Pau and Andrew. it's called boxing out and going for rebounds, you might want to try it some time.

(terrible game by Pau all the way around tonight)

candyman92
(Legend)
Sun Feb 19 2012 03:28 PM

JR smith is perfect for the Knicks.

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Sun Feb 19 2012 04:32 PM

Man, they're drooling over Miami's "amazing" 24-7 record to start the season. Don't seem to recall that sort of hoopla when the Cavs were 26-5 or 33-8 in 2008...

Anybody gonna be surprised if JJ Hickson lights the Cavs up tonight?

candyman92
(Legend)
Sun Feb 19 2012 06:30 PM

Charlotte is the worst team in basketball history.

They have 2 points with less than 4 minutes in the 1st quarter.

bg819
(Practice Squad)
Sun Feb 19 2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Anybody gonna be surprised if JJ Hickson lights the Cavs up tonight?

Yep

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Sun Feb 19 2012 09:48 PM

Haha. I'm surprised he didn't going considering the Cavs' difficulty with athletic stretch-4 types. I guess Thomas and Cousins were doing more than their fair share though. That Thomas kid looked real good. Near triple double.

candyman92
(Legend)
Sun Feb 19 2012 10:59 PM

91 = combined points for Westbrook and Durant. They alone, outscored 6 NBA teams today. First time since 1996 Bulls (Jordan/Pippen) that 2 teammates each scored 40 or more.

OKC could be the only team that has a realistic chance of beating the Heat right now.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Sun Feb 19 2012 11:08 PM

If it's any consolation, according to the 2k12 Assaciation I'm currently on, Lebron & Co.don't even make the Finals in the next 3 years he's there, and he opts out, and signs a MLE (cause the only team that could afford him, Me, Cleveland, chose NOT to sign him) with Charlotte..

And now in 2015-16 in my first year making the playoffs finally, first round is Charlotte #1 vs. Cleveland #8!

candyman92
(Legend)
Sun Feb 19 2012 11:11 PM

Damn it I'm partially wrong. It's the first that it's happened in the regular season since MJ and Scottie. Jalen Rose and Reggie Miller went for 40+ in the playoffs after Pippen/Jordan.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200005060IND.html

Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook & Serge Ibaka are 1st teammates with 50-pt game, 40-pt game & triple double in same game

candyman92
(Legend)
Tue Feb 21 2012 03:18 AM

Hopefully the Cavs can trade Sessions to the Lakers for 1st round pick(s). Even though it would be late, we could get someone with potential in this deep draft. Tony Mitchell from North Texas intrigues me if he declares. 6'8" 220lbs small forward with speed and athleticism. Strong as an ox. Very efficient on the court. For some reason went to North Texas instead of Missouri and he was a 5 star recruit. Think Michael Beasley meets Ron Artest. His ceiling is quite high. His floor is also quite low. He's a boom or bust type. He can hit the three, defend threes and fours, and is pretty damn good in transition. He's got a great wingspan for a three, can rebound tremendously well, and can block shots at a pretty high rate. He's a tweener at this moment in time since he has the ability to play the three but might ultimately be a stretch four that can beat his guy off the dribble and get to the rim with sheer athleticism. When he was in high school he was measured with a 7'2" wingspan so a 6'9" small forward with a chiseled frame and long arms is basically a premier defensive player in the NBA. While Beasley meeting Artest doesn't sound great, I'm more or less talking about Beasley's offensive potential coming out.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Feb 21 2012 09:35 AM

tomas satoransky from Czech is another one. haven't seen him play since he's in the Euro leagues, but the scouting reports on him are promising:

http://nbadraft.net/players/tomas-satoransky

candyman92
(Legend)
Tue Feb 21 2012 09:16 PM

Kyrie is unbelievable in the 4th quarter

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Feb 21 2012 09:38 PM

he ain't too shabby in 1-3 either.

Flap
(Dawg Talker)
Tue Feb 21 2012 09:39 PM

Who was that wearing the Jamison jersey?

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Feb 21 2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Who was that wearing the Jamison jersey?

he was 7/14 from the line. he wanted to make sure it wasn't totally obvious.

candyman92
(Legend)
Tue Feb 21 2012 09:42 PM

Kyrie Irving had 17 of his 25 points in the fourth quarter

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Feb 21 2012 09:43 PM

understood. just pointing out overall he's been pretty good/steady throughout (and always has that little extra for the end of the 4th). tonight, he proved he can put us on his shoulders the entire quarter when needed.

candyman92
(Legend)
Tue Feb 21 2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

understood. just pointing out overall he's been pretty good/steady throughout (and always has that little extra for the end of the 4th). tonight, he proved he can put us on his shoulders the entire quarter when needed.

I agree with you 100%

I was just posting that stat

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Tue Feb 21 2012 10:28 PM

well, might as well point out once more how awesome it is to have possibly the only star out of last year's draft

sure, Knight could have more nights like tonight, D-Will could figure out how to be a SF, Tristan could become a dominant defender and adequate offensive player, and then there's Marshon, Isaiah, Kawhi, etc.

but really, all are struggling as rookies tend to struggle. Kyrie is friggin' special.

Heldawg
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 22 2012 01:09 AM

I get to see plenty of Clippers games out here. And I've seen all or parts of Cavs games about a half dozen times.

I think Irving's ceiling is above Chris Paul's.

I'm more than impressed.

btw...how badly does the NBA need a franchise tag? Make it a ridiculous amount of additional money. 50% above a max contract year 1. 100% above a max contract year 2. 200% above year 3.

And keep the money that you pay your top player off the cap. An exclusion due to the actual money that that guy actually brings to the table in terms of tickets sold, jerseys and general national interest.

Bottom line make it more than worth it to keep that one player you need to keep on the team. Not saying Irving is that guy yet but he's on his way.

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Wed Feb 22 2012 01:24 AM

I agree, especially on the franchise tag.

Also, a guy should only get to use it once every 5 years or so. In other words, a guy can't leave his old team and sign a 1 year deal elsewhere, then sign under a franchise tag when that year is up. (as we know would happen otherwise)

I think that Irving is going to be one of those extraordinarily special guys. I was so-so on him in the draft, but I am perfectly happy to admit that I was wrong. He looks like he's going to be a stud for a long, long time to come.

With all of the extra picks we have coming up in future drafts, we should be able to add quality pieces around him as well. (while some of those picks may not bring us starters, they can be used for specialty type players, like a spot up shooter, who would thrive with Irving's ability to drive and dish)

candyman92
(Legend)
Wed Feb 22 2012 06:58 AM

Get Kyrie a SG and watch his assists sky rocket.

It's incredible what this kid has done with no offseason.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Wed Feb 22 2012 09:09 AM

and a hard crashing SF. I

kingodawg
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 22 2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

and a hard crashing SF. I

I think we have our SF in Alonzo Gee, I like what Atawn has done for us but I think we have to trade him. Wiht our own pick + a pick for him we can come out of the draft with a top SG. Irving at 1,draftee at 2, Gee at 3, TT at 4, and Andy at 5

KING

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Wed Feb 22 2012 02:55 PM

Jamison is expiring and I don't think we'd get much for him unless we took on someone elses bad contract. even then, we're probably talking about a pick in the middle of the 1st round or up (those are the teams that might need him short-term). Doubt it will be much incentive to move up from wherever our pick is. Might be best to just let his contract expire.

I like Gee as a rotational player, but I want a more top-flight guy at SF if we can find one. If we have an elite guy at SG, then it won't matter as much of course.

candyman92
(Legend)
Wed Feb 22 2012 07:48 PM

OKC is running boston out of the arena

Adam_P
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 22 2012 07:51 PM

Good.

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 22 2012 07:56 PM

Thompson is making Kaman look like a sloth out there.

Ha ha nevermind, he hits 2 baskets after i say that.

candyman92
(Legend)
Wed Feb 22 2012 08:03 PM

OKC has 66 points with 2 minutes left in the first half

damn

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 22 2012 08:11 PM

It's an offensive night, which is great for the fantasy game.

Wizards 68 Kings 60 at the half.

kingodawg
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 22 2012 08:20 PM

The fact that Jamison is expiring is what makes him valuable. I would gladly take a mid 1st for him, the more picks we stock up, the more ammo we have to work with.

King

YTownBrownsFan
(Legend)
Wed Feb 22 2012 09:10 PM

What's up with Irving tonight?

Psydeffect
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 22 2012 09:17 PM

There's freedom in the mid range game AC says.

ThatGuy
(Hall of Famer)
Wed Feb 22 2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

The fact that Jamison is expiring is what makes him valuable. I would gladly take a mid 1st for him, the more picks we stock up, the more ammo we have to work with.

King

But what team would take him that would be in the middle of the 1st round?

It's your top teams that need a scoring PF that would be interested (dunno who that is) and then you're looking at a pick in the 20s.. I guess seeing as he's basically gone next year it'd be worth it, as long as we didn't have to take a crappy contract on in return...

candyman92
(Legend)
Thu Feb 23 2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

What's up with Irving tonight?

Should have drafted Brandon Knight instead of this bum!

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 23 2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

King

But what team would take him that would be in the middle of the 1st round?

It's your top teams that need a scoring PF that would be interested (dunno who that is) and then you're looking at a pick in the 20s.. I guess seeing as he's basically gone next year it'd be worth it, as long as we didn't have to take a crappy contract on in return...

and we would have to take back a bad contract for it to be "worth" it to them. no thank you. let's just clear the deck and start fresh unless someone has something worthwhile to offer.

Spergon FTWynn
(Legend)
Thu Feb 23 2012 09:28 AM

Really love watching OKC play. Love that their fans are so into it, old-school type crowd.

As long as they can keep Perk healthy, and Westbrook under control, I love their chances and I think they all work well together. Westbrook deviates from the pecking order a little bit, but I think that's ok as long as they can curb it.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 23 2012 09:30 AM

honestly, Harden is the one to worry about deviating. i love his game as a 6th man, but when he's on the floor with Durant and Westbrook he tries to force too much when he gets the ball. the ball stops in his hands despite that he could be a deadly outside shooter if he either just shoots or keeps the ball moving in those situations.

agreed on Perk. still can't believe that the Celtics gave up Perk for Green.

ExclDawg
(Hall of Famer)
Thu Feb 23 2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

King

I talked about this before ... I don't know how valuable an expiring contract is at the moment, with the amnesty clause they put in last year. What made expiring's valuable, is that other teams could use them to dump a bad contract and clear cap room. Well ... most teams have dumped their bad contracts already with the amnesty rule. Also remember we had a $15M trade exemption last year ... which is basically a 15 million dollar *flexible* expiring contract ... and we couldn't trade it for anything.

Plus this isn't the NFL ... having a bunch of mid to late first round picks and second round picks, isn't going to equate to trading up to the top of the first round. Can you think of any team that would want to do that? If the Cavs picked in the top 5, would you want them trading down for a couple of mid-first rounders? ... and we're one of the worst "depth" teams in the league.

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 23 2012 09:40 AM

however, if we can get a late teen / early 20s pick, then we could just use that pick. there are some interesting big guys that will be available in that range (and we can get rid of Harangody and/or Hollins)

candyman92
(Legend)
Thu Feb 23 2012 09:51 AM

I just hope Grant isn't stupid and tries to resign Jamison.

That would be a nightmare

no_logo_required
(Legend)
Thu Feb 23 2012 10:01 AM

Jamison will be destroying some other teams chances at a title next year as he "chases" a ring

Contact Us dawgtalkers.net