NFL on ESPN.com
NFL on CBS
NFL on FOX
SportsIllustrated.com
Cleveland PlainDealer
Canton Repository
Akron BeaconJournal
DawgTalkers Pick'ems

Dawg Talkers Message Boards >> Everything Else...

Pages: 1
ddubia
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 11 2006

Hubble Funeral Home EMAIL SCAM
      #1129140 - Sat Mar 08 2014 11:03 AM

I just got an email from the Hubble Funeral Home with the following message:

We would like to express our deepest sorrow for the untimely death of your beloved
friend and inform you about the life service celebration that will take place at
Hubbell Funeral Home on March 7, 2014 at 2:00 p.m.

Please follow this link to get funeral invitation.
Please be there to honor the memory of your friend with her closest people.

Our best wishes and prayers,
Jayden Barnett,
Funeral home assistant

Since no name was mentioned, rather than clicking the link provided I Googled the Hubble Funeral Home and found that this is a scam.

"According to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), the scammers are hiding behind funeral homes to get people to click a link which then places malware on their computers, spreading the phishing scam."

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region...fication-emails

So if you get one of these don't click the link hoping to find who your dearly departed friend is.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator            Share: Post to facebook   Digg this   Post to del.icio.us
Damanshot
Legend

Loc: Aurora, Ohio

Re: Hubble Funeral Home EMAIL SCAM [Re: ddubia]
      #1129167 - Sat Mar 08 2014 11:59 AM

Nice catch..

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving isn't for you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator            Share: Post to facebook   Digg this   Post to del.icio.us
Rishuz
Hall of Famer

Reged: Oct 08 2006
Loc: Las Vegas

#1129180 - Sat Mar 08 2014 12:19 PM

I got an email from Bank of America...my primary bank several months back. It said there had been some fraudulent activity on my account....and of course they provided me a link to login and check. It was the best fake email I had ever seen. Actually made me doubt for a second whether it was legit. I clicked on the link, and it took me to a page that looked identical to the Bank of America home page. The URL...however...made no sense and was intelligible. I'm sure the minute I put in my username and password someone was going to be scooping it up.

I told my wife...who is not computer savvy in the least ...to never clink on a link in an email. Simply go to the site directly...always...every time....to be on the safe side.

--------------------
I'm going to count to three, there will not be a four. Give me the code.

Tulsa
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 21 2006
Loc: on a twisty road

#1129218 - Sat Mar 08 2014 02:36 PM

I got the same email last week. Like you I went to their site instead of clicking links in an email and saw they put up the announcement it was a scam.

Damanshot
Legend

Re: Hubble Funeral Home EMAIL SCAM [Re: Rishuz]
      #1129221 - Sat Mar 08 2014 03:06 PM

LOL I get those from B of A and Chase and I don't have accounts at either bank.. It's a case of throwing enough stuff against the wall and hoping something sticks....

It occured to me that if these people that took the time to build this hoax used their skills in a legit pursuit, they'd be millionaires and nobody would be trying to jail them LOL

--------------------

CHSDawg
Dawg Talker

Reged: Mar 01 2013

Re: Hubble Funeral Home EMAIL SCAM [Re: Damanshot]
      #1129247 - Sat Mar 08 2014 05:37 PM

It probably didn't take them that long. You could put up a hoax website within a day.

--------------------
[quote]Somehow, it doesn't surprise me that CHS hates and despises this country. [/quote]

Damanshot
Legend

Re: Hubble Funeral Home EMAIL SCAM [Re: CHSDawg]
      #1129252 - Sat Mar 08 2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

It probably didn't take them that long. You could put up a hoax website within a day.

And deliver it to millions of email addresses (which have to be gathered in some fashion) and get the feel of the legit site right so people don't suspect until it's too late.

gotta have the place set up for the money to go once you steal the login info so that it won't be traceable. You have to have a foolproof way of getting the money out and distributing it in a fashion that is untraceable so that you can get the dough and be like a ghost.

That's just off the top of my head..

There is a bit more to it then just building a website...

--------------------

GMdawg
Legend

Reged: Sep 10 2006
Loc: ohio

#1129256 - Sat Mar 08 2014 06:33 PM

If they tell you to call and ask for Myra Mains DON'T

--------------------
I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.

YTownBrownsFan
Legend

Loc: YTown, Ohio

#1129260 - Sat Mar 08 2014 06:45 PM

I guess that maybe I should stop doing what I do sometimes then.

I like to "log in" to fake bank sites using stuff like a user name of "Youre-An-Ass", with a password like "FU_Dumbass_With_a_2x4", and it always thanks me for taking care of the problem.

I run anti-virus and malware scans daily, and have "immunized" my system, but I guess that I am still probably taking a chance that I shouldn't.

--------------------
Welcome to the Browns Coach Pettine.

Hope you survive the experience.

"Danger is real, but fear is a choice." Cavaliers Coach David Blatt, from his son

jfanent
Legend

Loc: Oregon, Ohio

Re: Hubble Funeral Home EMAIL SCAM [Re: GMdawg]
      #1129276 - Sat Mar 08 2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

If they tell you to call and ask for Myra Mains DON'T

--------------------
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does.

Pages: 1

Dawg Talkers Message Boards >> Everything Else...

Extra information
3 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1021

Jump to

Contact Us dawgtalkers.net