NFL on CBS
NFL on FOX
SportsIllustrated.com
Cleveland PlainDealer
Canton Repository
Akron BeaconJournal
DawgTalkers Pick'ems

Dawg Talkers Message Boards >> Tailgate Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Dave
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 10 2006
Loc: Cleveland

Re: AL Central - Indians and others [Re: no_logo_required]
      #900810 - Sat Feb 18 2012 11:06 AM

Plain Dealer's Paul Hoynes previews the AL Central:

In the AL Central, the Detroit Tigers are in a class by themselves, Paul Hoynes writes in his division preview

Saturday, February 18, 2012

By Paul Hoynes, The Plain Dealer

Prince Fielder didn't change the shape of the American League Central when he arrived in Detroit with a nine-year, $214 million contract. The Tigers were already favored to repeat as the division champion this year.

What Fielder did was create the possibility of something beyond a division title for the Tigers. It could also spawn the most range-challenged infield in the division if Miguel Cabrera does, indeed, play third base to go along with Jhonny Peralta at shortstop, Ryan Raburn at second and Fielder at first.

Then again, they combined to hit 103 homers last year. Who needs defense?

"Detroit lost a great player in Victor Martinez and replaced him with a great player in Prince Fielder," said Indians General Manager Chris Antonetti. "They won the division handily [15 games] last year and improved over the winter. They remain the team to beat."

Martinez, who drove in 103 runs for the Tigers last year, will miss this season due to left knee surgery.

Besides the Angels signing Albert Pujols, it's hard to find a position-player signing as big as Fielder. For comparison's sake, take a look at the other four teams in the AL Central and their biggest moves of the winter.

•Indians: They countered Detroit's move by signing a first baseman of their own -- Casey Kotchman for $3 million.

•Royals: They don't need a first baseman with Eric Hosmer, but they did re-sign lefty Bruce Chen and trade for another left-handed starter in Jonathan Sanchez. Shin-Soo Choo, who had his left thumb broken by a Sanchez pitch last year when the Tribe faced the Giants, probably didn't do a backflip over the news.

•Twins: They lost thump with free-agent departures of Michael Cuddyer and Jason Kubel, but they replaced some of it with free-agent Josh Willingham's 29 homers and 98 RBI.

•White Sox: Hard to say free-agent Kosuke Fukudome is going to be a difference-maker, but right now, that's about it for a Chicago team contemplating rebuilding. If not Fukudome, how about rookie manager Robin Ventura, hired by GM Ken Williams after Ozzie Guillen left at the end of last year for Miami? Mark Buehrle and Juan Pierre left through free agency, and outfielder Carlos Quentin and closer Sergio Santos were traded.

Last year was the Tigers' first AL Central championship. It's hard to see them not making it two in a row.

They have the AL batting champion in Cabrera and the Cy Young and MVP winner in right-hander Justin Verlander. Closer Jose Valverde went 49-for-49 in save situations.

What do the Tigers' rivals have to do to upset their plans for a second straight trip to October?

•Indians: Grady Sizemore, Choo and Travis Hafner have to stay healthy to pump more production into the offense.

•Royals: Their starting pitching, led by Chen, has to perform much better than the scouting reports predict.

•Twins: If they can stay healthy, they can have a big bounce-back year from their 99-loss season in 2011. They need catcher Joe Mauer, first baseman Justin Morneau and outfielder Denard Span to stay on the field. The same goes for starters Scott Baker, Nick Blackburn and Francisco Liriano.

•White Sox: They need production from young outfielders Alejandro De Aza and Dayan Viciedo. They also need do-over years from Adam Dunn, Alex Rios and Jake Peavy.

CENTRAL DIVISION

(Teams appear in predicted order of finish)

1. Tigers

2011: 95-67, first place.

Manager: Jim Leyland.

Strengths: It doesn't get much better than Justin Verlander (24-5, 2.40 ERA), closer Jose Valverde (2-4, 2.24, 49 saves), Miguel Cabrera (.344, 30 HR, 111 RBI) and newcomer Prince Fielder (.299, 38, 120). Verlander was the Cy Young and MVP in 2011. Valverde went 49-for-49 in save situations. Cabrera and Fielder slugged .586 and .566, respectively.

Flaws: They lost DH/C/1B Victor Martinez for the season with a left knee injury. The Tigers open spring training talking about Cabrera, the AL's batting champ, moving from first to third base.

Additions: Fielder, 2B/SS Ramon Santiago (re-signed), RHP Octavio Dotel, C Gerald Laird, OF Jerad Head, OF Eric Patterson, RHP Collin Balester.

Subtractions: 2B Carlos Guillen, RF Magglio Ordonez, RHP Brad Penny, RHP Joel Zumaya, 2B Will Rhymes, RHP Ryan Perry.

Player to watch: Doug Fister went 8-1 in 11 games, including 10 starts, for the Tigers last year after being acquired from Seattle at the trading deadline.

2. Indians

2011: 80-82, second place.

Manager: Manny Acta.

Strengths: Pitching powered the Indians to an 11-game improvement last year. The rotation has a chance to be competitive with Justin Masterson, Ubaldo Jimenez, Josh Tomlin, Derek Lowe and Kevin Slowey/Jeanmar Gomez. The bullpen, with closer Chris Perez and setup men Vinnie Pestano, Rafael Perez, Tony Sipp, Joe Smith and Frank Herrmann, have been good for a 11/2 seasons.

Weaknesses: Offense is a concern. CF Grady Sizemore, LF Michael Brantley and RF Shin-Soo Choo all missed considerable time last season with injuries. The Indians ranked ninth in runs, while striking out the second-most times in the AL. Signed 1B Casey Kotchman (.306, 10 HR, 48 RBI) to improve defense and stabilize lineup.

Additions: OF Sizemore (re-signed), 1B Kotchman, RHP Lowe, RHP Slowey, RHP Robinson Tejada, RHP Dan Wheeler, RHP Jeremy Accardo, OF Aaron Cunningham, OF/INF Russ Canzler, OF Fred Lewis, RHP Hector Ambriz, RHP Chris Ray, LHP Chris Seddon, C Luke Carlin, C Matt Pagnozzi, INF Andy LaRoche, INF Jose Lopez, OF Felix Pie and OF Ryan Spilborghs.

Subtractions: RHP Chad Durbin, OF Kosuke Fukudome, DH Jim Thome, RHP Josh Judy, INF Luis Valbuena.

Player to watch: 2B Jason Kipnis, if he can stay healthy, should add power and energy to the offense.

3. Royals

2011: 71-91, fifth.

Manager: Ned Yost.

Strengths: The youngest team in the big leagues can hit. Led by Alex Gordon (.303, 23 HR, 87 RBI), Jeff Francouer (.329, 20 HR, 87 RBI), Billy Butler (.291, 19, 95) and Eric Hosmer (.293, 19, 78) they finished sixth in the AL in runs. They'll miss CF Melky Cabrera, but prospect Lorenzo Cain is getting a chance to replace him.

Weaknesses: GM Dayton Moore re-signed lefty Bruce Chen (12-8, 3.77) and traded for hard-throwing but wild Jonathan Sanchez, but K.C.'s starting pitching is suspect. Luke Hochevar (11-11, 4.68), Felipe Paulino (4-6, 5.64), lefty Danny Duffy and converted reliever Aaron Crow will look to fill out the rest of the rotation.

Additions: LHP Chen (re-signed), RHP Sanchez (4-7, 4.26), RHP Jonathan Broxton (84 career saves), LHP Jose Mijares, SS/INF Yuniesky Betancourt (.252, 13, 68) and 3B Kevin Kouzmanoff.

Subtractions: OF Melky Cabrera, RHP Jesse Chavez, RHP Robinson Tejada, C Jason Kendall, LHP Jeff Francis.

Player to watch: Broxton was the Dodgers' closer until he injured his right elbow early last season. He'd be a great setup man for closer Joakim Soria, who struggled at times last year.

4. White Sox

2011: 70-83, third.

Manager: Robin Ventura.

Strengths: Even with the loss of lefty Mark Buehrle, Chicago should have a decent rotation with John Danks, Gavin Floyd, Phil Humber and Chris Sale. Paul Konerko, year in and year out, is one of the best hitters in the division.

Weaknesses: With the trade of closer Sergio Santos, hard-throwing, but erratic lefty Matt Thornton will get another shot at closing. If Alex Rios and Adam Dunn can't transform themselves from expensive holes in the lineup to productive hitters, the offense is in trouble.

Additions: OF Kosuke Fukudome, LHP Scott Olsen, 1B Dan Johnson, RHP Nestor Molina, RHP Simon Castro, LHP Pedro Hernandez, RHP Daniel Webb and RHP Myles Jaye.

Subtractions: LHP Buehrle, RHP Santos, OF Carlos Quentin, RHP Jason Frasor, INF Omar Vizquel, OF Juan Pierre, C Ramon Castro.

Player to watch: Sale, the White Sox No.1 in 2009, is moving from the bullpen to the rotation.

5. Twins

2011: 63-99, fifth.

Manager: Ron Gardenhire.

Strengths: If C Joe Mauer, OF Denard Span and 1B Justin Morneau can stay healthy, they should help regenerate the second-lowest scoring offense in the AL last year. Free-agent Josh Willingham (.246, 29 HR, 98 RBI) will help as well.

Weaknesses: The Twins used the disabled list 27 times last year, the most in the big leagues. Matt Capps is back as the closer, even though he blew nine saves (15-for-24) last season. No starter managed double-digit wins last year.

Additions: RHP Jason Marquis (8-6, 4.43), Willingham, SS Jamey Carroll (.290, 17 RBI), C Ryan Doumit, RHP Capps (re-signed), RHP Joel Zumaya, LHP Matt Maloney, RHP Jeff Gray and RHP Terry Doyle.

Subtractions: RHP Joe Nathan, RHP Kevin Slowey, OF Michael Cuddyer, OF Jason Kubel, RHP Jim Hoey, LHP Jose Mijares.

Player to watch: Mauer is coming off a year of injury and illness. Work ethic was questioned last year.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2012/02/post_130.html

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator            Share: Post to facebook   Digg this   Post to del.icio.us
Alpoe19
Dawg Talker

Reged: Jan 23 2007

Re: AL Central - Indians and others [Re: Dave]
      #900817 - Sat Feb 18 2012 11:32 AM

That's as good as a preview you will see. I agreed with his projected finish of the division. I've always felt it would be a 3 team race, between the tigers, indians, and royals. I would be really surprised if the white sox or twins did much this year. I do like Sele, from the white sox. that guy is devastating to lefties. I think the twins will be awful again this year. Not much of a rotation, or bullpen. All things equal, I think the tigers win the division, leaving the indians and royals looking for the 2 wild cards.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator            Share: Post to facebook   Digg this   Post to del.icio.us
Ballpeen
Legend

Reged: Sep 11 2006

Re: AL Central - Indians and others [Re: Alpoe19]
      #901185 - Mon Feb 20 2012 06:51 AM

The Tigers will have to get hurt, or simply under perform to not win the division. I'd be surprised if they don't win 100+ ballgames this year.

The Tribe needs to be thinking about winning 90-92 games for a wildcard.

--------------------
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

Assassin51
Rookie

Reged: Jan 24 2012

Indians cancel Jon Garland signing [Re: Ballpeen]
      #901959 - Wed Feb 22 2012 10:51 PM

j/c
web page Aaron Gleeman
Feb 22, 2012, 3:49 PM EST
3 Comments
Getty Images
Last week the Indians and Jon Garland agreed to a minor-league contract and as usual with such deals it was pending a physical exam.

Those are usually just a formality, but Garland is coming back from shoulder surgery and Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that he never took the physical exam … so the Indians canceled the signing.

Garland was scheduled to be examined Monday and it’s unclear if he simply no-showed or told the team in advance. Either way, the rehabbing 32-year-old right-hander is back on the open market.

bigdatut
Dawg Talker

Reged: Jan 02 2007
Loc: Hartford, Ohio

Re: Indians cancel Jon Garland signing [Re: Assassin51]
      #902195 - Thu Feb 23 2012 06:00 PM

J/C...

Braun wins his appeal - no suspension.

lol. Who didn't see that coming?

--------------------
"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS

no_logo_required
Legend

Reged: Oct 11 2006

Re: Indians cancel Jon Garland signing [Re: bigdatut]
      #902198 - Thu Feb 23 2012 06:31 PM

i love how he challenged the chain of custody and won. and says he's vindicated because the guy didn't overnight the sample because he thought it was closed.

braun didn't contest that he tested positive for synthetic testosterone. i'm thinking he may get to play, but people will still label him a doper.

--------------------
Logos? We don't need no stinking logos.

bigdatut
Dawg Talker

Re: Indians cancel Jon Garland signing [Re: no_logo_required]
      #902262 - Thu Feb 23 2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

but people will still label him a doper.

As they should... he is.

--------------------
GO ROCKETS

Ballpeen
Legend

#902607 - Fri Feb 24 2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As they should... he is.

Maybe so, but he will soon move from 60 something on the Yahoo ranking to 5-6-7.

--------------------

cfrs15
Legend

Reged: Jan 20 2009
Loc: Monrovia, Ca

#902611 - Fri Feb 24 2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As they should... he is.

If he is, who cares?

I don't.

Psydeffect
Hall of Famer

Re: Indians cancel Jon Garland signing [Re: Ballpeen]
      #902612 - Fri Feb 24 2012 08:12 PM

Yeah, but he's all but screwed himself out of the hall of fame.

If it looks like a rat, and smells like a rat, it's a rat.

--------------------
“Hide the guns” “Where is my weed?” “I want to get in the end zone; throw me the football.”

Psydeffect
Hall of Famer

Re: Indians cancel Jon Garland signing [Re: cfrs15]
      #902613 - Fri Feb 24 2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As they should... he is.

If he is, who cares?

I don't.

Probably the guys who are playing by the rules and not doping.

--------------------
“Hide the guns” “Where is my weed?” “I want to get in the end zone; throw me the football.”

Punchsmack
Legend

Reged: Oct 10 2006
Loc: Chicago, IL

Current High Scores in:
Asteroids
Re: Indians cancel Jon Garland signing [Re: no_logo_required]
      #902617 - Fri Feb 24 2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

i love how he challenged the chain of custody and won. and says he's vindicated because the guy didn't overnight the sample because he thought it was closed.

braun didn't contest that he tested positive for synthetic testosterone. i'm thinking he may get to play, but people will still label him a doper.

I think the point was......since the lab guy took his sample home and keep it out on the counter (not in the fridge)....who knows if it was his sample or not. Meaning, "so what that the first sample tested positive....prove it was my sample." He took a follow-up test after the fact and passed. Plus, two out of three independent arbitrators ruled in his favor.

I'm not 100% confident he's clean, much like how I feel about most of the NFL labor force and every other professional sports league, but I think I'll give him a pass for now (that might change if MLB states their case in the media).

Has anyone seen Laron Landry recently? That's a body I'd be testing...

--------------------
"Run" - Walter White

Ballpeen
Legend

Re: Indians cancel Jon Garland signing [Re: Psydeffect]
      #902618 - Fri Feb 24 2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but he's all but screwed himself out of the hall of fame.

If it looks like a rat, and smells like a rat, it's a rat.

I agree with the rat part, and you are right,,,,he does have a little the rat look to him. Not as bad as some, but it's there.

Quit trying to get me in trouble, you brought it up, not me!

--------------------

Ballpeen
Legend

Re: Indians cancel Jon Garland signing [Re: Punchsmack]
      #902619 - Fri Feb 24 2012 08:28 PM

No kidding Punch...normal males don't look like that just as you can spot females who have been enhanced....it just isn't normal.

And by normal I am talking fit, buff people, which isn't normal.

Normal is some flab and droop, and a lot smaller than the movies,.

--------------------

jfanent
Legend

Loc: Oregon, Ohio

#902620 - Fri Feb 24 2012 08:33 PM

Why test him.....he's holding a jar of it.

--------------------
"That instrument, my friends, is electric guitar. It speaks directly to the soul of the white person." - Dave Chappelle

Punchsmack
Legend

Current High Scores in:
Asteroids
Re: Indians cancel Jon Garland signing [Re: jfanent]
      #902625 - Fri Feb 24 2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Why test him.....he's holding a jar of it.

Exactly. Just like when Mark McGwire had a jug of Andro in his locker during the single season home run chase.

Do you think Laron will be the next David Boston? Beefed up in the offseason, maybe or maybe not legally, and then it ended up affecting his performance on the field next season.

--------------------
"Run" - Walter White

bigdatut
Dawg Talker

Re: Indians cancel Jon Garland signing [Re: cfrs15]
      #902633 - Fri Feb 24 2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As they should... he is.

If he is, who cares?

I don't.

I do. I've never liked how the dude plays - now I know he's a cheat.

--------------------
GO ROCKETS

Frenchy
Dawg Talker

Reged: Nov 14 2006
Loc: Galloway, Ohio

#902669 - Sat Feb 25 2012 12:13 AM

Surprised no one has posted this yet, anyone not surprised?

Grady Sizemore to miss Opening Day

Email
Print
Comments197
Associated Press

PHOENIX -- Grady Sizemore's latest comeback has already stalled.

The Indians' oft-injured, hard-luck outfielder is hurt again.

Sizemore will likely miss Opening Day for Cleveland with a strained lower back, an injury the former All-Star suffered while fielding ground balls as he prepared for what he hoped would be a healthy season.

Sizemore

"I feel awful for the guy," Indians general manager Chris Antonetti said Friday.

The Indians revealed Sizemore's injury one day before they hold their first full-squad workout. The club re-signed Sizemore as a free agent in November after choosing not to exercise a $9 million option on him. But the Indians, perhaps out of some loyalty to Sizemore, decided to bring him back with a one-year, $5 million contract loaded with incentives that could have earned him an additional $4 million.

Now, there's no telling when Sizemore will be ready.

Antonetti, though, will never count him out.

"One thing about Grady is he is very tough minded," Antonetti said. "He is an exceptionally diligent guy. He will overcome it and I'm confident he'll be able to get back and still contribute."

Indians trainer Lonnie Soloff said Sizemore will not do any baseball activities as he's monitored over the next few weeks and undergoes treatment. Soloff said Sizemore had been doing well in his rehab following knee surgery and appeared on track to possibly begin the season on time.

Sizemore has undergone five surgeries the past two years and played in only 210 games the last three seasons because of injuries. His full-speed-ahead style may have caught up with the 29-year-old, who once played in 382 consecutive games and endeared himself to Cleveland fans with hustle that could turn a double into a triple or save an extra-base hit with a crash into the outfield wall to make a catch.

Sizemore played in only 71 games after beginning last season on the disabled list. He made three trips to the DL and underwent right knee surgery Oct. 3, just days after his season ended with a .224 batting average 10 homers, 32 RBIs and zero steals for the first time in his career.

Indians manager Manny Acta hasn't seen a completely healthy Sizemore since joining Cleveland two seasons ago.

"I know," Acta said. "(Former manager Eric Wedge) was a lucky man -- a blessed man -- to be able to see this very talented guy get out there every day and enjoy it. I haven't had that luxury so far, but I enjoy the human being and I've seen him from the other side. I've seen some of it over here, too. But, you know what? It's a long season. Just because he's not ready by Opening Day, doesn't mean he's not going to come on strong and contribute to our ballclub."

With Sizemore sidelined, the Indians will likely move Michael Brantey from left field to center. Shelley Duncan, Aaron Cunningham, Ryan Spilborghs and Felix Pie are among the team's options in left.

"We have Michael, who has been there the majority of the time the last two seasons for us and done a very good job," Acta said. "Also, we have some people in camp that might give us some different options."

The Indians, who were ravaged by injuries last season, have 12 other outfielders in camp. Cleveland opened last season 30-15 and played well in long stretches without Sizemore, so there's reason to believe they can survive again.

"We certainly want Grady on the field and we feel we're a better team when he's on the field playing and producing," Antonetti said. "But, obviously, at the time we signed Grady, we knew that there was some risk, even just around his knee rehab. So we tried to build in better quality alternatives maybe than we had at the start even of last year. Hopefully the guys that are here in camp can take advantage of the opportunity and earn a spot and, when the season starts, potentially contribute if Grady's not ready to go."

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story/...iss-opening-day

I didn't want to sign him, but who would you have signed to replace him? Michael Cuddyer, Josh Willingham, Jonny Gomes, Jason Kubel, Melky Cabrera, David DeJesus, that right there was your choices. I would have signed Josh Willingham to a 3 year deal worth $24 to 27 million! A little more than the twins signed him for.

I'm hoping now that Cunningham wins the LF job, he bats RH, he's young, just what we need.

YTownBrownsFan
Legend

Loc: YTown, Ohio

#902673 - Sat Feb 25 2012 01:07 AM

Like I said earlier about that picture .... he just does not look normal with that monstrous bicep popping out of a fairly normal sized shoulder. (by comparison) His chest also looks smaller by comparison.

Weird. He must just work his biceps all day long ...... or something.

--------------------
Welcome to Cleveland Coach Pettine.

Hope you survive the experience.

Dave
Hall of Famer

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: Frenchy]
      #902749 - Sat Feb 25 2012 11:38 AM

When it comes to Grady Sizemore, the past is prologue. I feel bad for him because he could have been something special, like Pete Rose with better power and speed. But the Indians are snakebit; every time they invest in a player like Sizemore, or Hafner, or Westbrook, the snake bites them in the ass again. Its easy to see why the Dolan family is reluctant to spend big on their own stars or free agents. I don't think its a winning approach, but I get why they are the way they are.

Alpoe19
Dawg Talker

Reged: Jan 23 2007

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: Dave]
      #902958 - Sun Feb 26 2012 01:47 AM

what is so surprising that sizemore is injured?? Instead of spending 5 million on sizemore, they should've committed more money to a player who isn't injury prone as grady. But it's the indians free agent philosophy of the past decade; buy low, and hope for a high return with a declining player. At some point as a franchise, you just have to bite the bullet, and pay for good, quality talent.

YTownBrownsFan
Legend

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: Alpoe19]
      #902959 - Sun Feb 26 2012 02:23 AM

We did that with Sizemore, once upon a time, before all of the injuries, didn't we .... and Hafner as well ......... ?

--------------------

Frenchy
Dawg Talker

Reged: Nov 14 2006
Loc: Galloway, Ohio

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: YTownBrownsFan]
      #903286 - Sun Feb 26 2012 11:12 PM

First Sizemore now Chris Perez!

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- If All-Star closer Chris Perez isn't ready to open the season April 5, manager Manny Acta will stay in-house with his replacement.

The Indians announced Sunday that Perez will miss four to six weeks with a strained left oblique muscle. Acta, Perez and head trainer Lonnie Soloff are optimistic that he'll return in time to open the season.

If not, Acta has a solution.

"Vinnie Pestano will close if Chris is not ready," said Acta. "He's a natural guy to go to."

The Indians have lost center fielder Grady Sizemore (lower back strain) and Perez over the last three days. In the off-season GM Chris Antonetti signed several outfielders and relievers to minor-league deals that included spring training invitations. The fans wanted Antonetti to make a bigger splash, but today Acta has options at both positions because of those moves.

There are three former big-league closers in camp in Dan Wheeler, Chris Ray and Jeremy Accardo. Ray has 51 career saves, Wheeler 42 and Accardo 38. They were brought in to compete for the sixth and seventh spots in the pen, but it's nice to know they would be available at the end of a game should they make the team.

Pestano has three big-league saves and 71 in the minors. Last year he was 1-2 with a 2.32 ERA in 67 appearances. He finished fifth the American League in strikeouts with 84 in 62 innings.

Perez strained his oblique in his first bullpen session Thursday. He stopped throwing after 25 to 30 pitches because of a pain in his left side.

"His body was clearly not ready for the intensity of that bullpen session," said Soloff.

When asked if that meant Perez came to camp out of shape, Soloff said "No, I'm just saying he wasn't prepared for the intensity of the bullpen session."

Perez said he came to camp in good condition.

"What Lonnie meant when he said that is that it was the first day [of camp] and I was going 100 percent," said Perez. "He probably wanted me to go 50 to 75 percent.

"That's not who I am. I get work in at 100 percent. I'm not going to throw a bullpen at 50 percent, miss all my spots and pretty much waste a day. I was doing what I normally do in the bullpen. I felt a cramp, so I think I was a little dehydrated and I pulled it.

"I'm physically ready to go. It wasn't because I came here out of shape. I've been the same [conditioning wise] since I've been here. It was one of those fluke things and we have to move past it."

One thing working in favor of Perez's return for Opening Day is his role -- closer. He doesn't need a lot of innings to get his arm in pitching shape.

"It's definitely a positive," said Soloff. "We won't have to build him up as much."

Perez saved 36 games last year, converting 90 percent (36-for-40) of his save opportunities. He was named to the All-Star Game along with shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera.

Soloff said that a pitcher has to "know thyself" when it comes to the intensity he throws with early in camp.

"He's learned," said Soloff of Perez.

Said Perez, "Lonnie wants me to learn to take my time out there and get ready for Opening Day. It's a process. I'm still young. By no means am I a veteran in this game. I'm still learning my body and learning how to get ready for Opening Day."

Perez didn't know how many innings he'd need to get ready when he's cleared to start pitching. "There's no answer to that," he said. "Last year I was ready after six outings and had 14."

Perez appeared in nine Cactus League games last spring. He also pitched in some minor-league games.

"I did my usual off-season conditioning," said Perez. "I'm ready to go. It's just unfortunate with this oblique thing. I'm strong, my legs are strong, my legs are strong. The timing is just bad.

"I guess it's better that it happens now than a month from now where I'd be guaranteed to miss games."
http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2012/02/chris_perez_has_unspecified_so.html

Psydeffect
Hall of Famer

#903743 - Mon Feb 27 2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

There are three former big-league closers in camp in Dan Wheeler, Chris Ray and Jeremy Accardo.

The fantasy nerd in me can't help but to comment here.

I'll be eying this situation closely since I always put off closers until late in drafts. But I kinda like Wheeler out of those 3 guys to win the job.

Watching a Reds game from '99 on FSO tonight, can't wait for the season to get started now. Casey barely looked over 21 back then lol. Where has the time gone?

--------------------

Edited by Psydeffect (Mon Feb 27 2012 07:53 PM)

no_logo_required
Legend

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: Psydeffect]
      #903782 - Mon Feb 27 2012 10:02 PM

might get you a couple weeks, but not sure it'll be worth drafting as Perez is likely to be back (if not opening week, the week after).

--------------------

GratefulDawg
Dawg Talker

Reged: Mar 19 2007
Loc: Chautauqua Lake, NY

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: no_logo_required]
      #903792 - Mon Feb 27 2012 11:06 PM

The mystery of Indians pitcher Roberto Hernandez is a way of life in baseball-mad Dominican Republic

Published: Saturday, February 25, 2012, 10:35 PM
Paul Hoynes, The Plain Dealer By Paul Hoynes, The Plain Dealer

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Roberto Hernandez changed his name and age for a chance to seek fame and fortune in the big leagues. He found both, but now he's paying the price.

Twelve years ago, Hernandez became Fausto Carmona and dove headlong into the deep pool of lies and deceit that is baseball in the Dominican Republic. Hernandez emerged from that murky water last month with more than $15 million in career earnings and a big problem.

He was arrested on Jan. 19 by the Dominican National Police outside the U.S. Consulate in Santo Domingo after he applied for a visa using a false identification. For the time being he is a prisoner in his own land.

Indians fans know Carmona as the hero of the Bug Game against the Yankees in the 2007 playoffs. They are still trying to figure out who Hernandez is. They know at least this much, he's 31 instead of 28 as listed in the Indians media guide.

There are so many questions. When did Hernandez become Carmona? How was the arrangement made? How much money exchanged hands? How was he caught? When will he be able to rejoin the Indians, who opened spring training a week ago?

The one question that does not need an answer is, why?

In the Dominican Republic, players change names and ages without a thought. Agents called buscones -- Spanish for seekers or lookers -- tell them big-league teams will pay more for a 16 year old than a 20 year old. When the Indians signed Hernandez, they believed he was 17, but he was really 20.

The lengths to which the buscones and others have gone to deceive MLB teams is legendary. Sometimes towns, schools and hospitals are involved in the scam. All to make a player a couple of years younger and fatten his signing bonus.

"This has been going on forever," said Jorge Brito, Hernandez's agent. Last year the Dominican Republic, a tiny Caribbean island, saw 86 of its native sons open the season on big-league rosters. No other country outside the United States supplied more players to The Show.

The Dominican has always been a buyer's beware market. Some scouts call it the wild west in terms of player acquisition. The talent is cheap and plentiful, and not restricted by the annual MLB annual draft. Such conditions spawned a culture of fraud that knew no bounds.

Things began to change after the terrorist attacks on the United States on Sept. 11, 2001. The U.S. tightened its borders and scores of Dominican players were found to have bogus ages in the spring of 2002. Indians pitcher Bartolo Colon went from 26 to 28 and his brother Jose, in the minors with the Tribe, went from 23 to 26.

How is this story going to end for Hernandez? If you're worried about not seeing him standing on the mound with sweat dropping off the bill of his cap on a hot July night, calm yourself. At some point before the Indians break camp on April 2, according to sources, the Department of Homeland Security is expected to grant him a waiver to join the Indians. He could still face a suspension by Commissioner Bud Selig.

A deal gone bad

Hernandez had been coming to the United States as Carmona since 2002, when he was in Class A ball. When he was arrested on Jan. 19, however, he could not have been that surprised. The baseball grapevine in the Dominican had been buzzing for over a year about his true identity.

A year ago, a story in a Dominican newspaper claimed that the Fausto Carmona pitching for the Indians was an impostor. About a month before Hernandez was arrested, a spiritualist named Yohanny Ventura Solares went on "El Gobierno De La Manana," a popular morning radio show in Santo Domingo, and said the pitcher Fausto Carmona was really Roberto Hernandez.

Solares said she had been threatened and beaten by Hernandez's father, Beato, because she kept requesting the $1 million pesos ($26,000 in U.S. dollars) that Hernandez promised her for, according to the radio station's Web site, "spiritual work with candle lights and oil" on a birth certificate that Hernandez gave her. She said Roberto Hernandez used the birth certificate to sign with the Indians.

She said she once talked to the real Fausto Carmona, warning him about the potential danger, but he did not seem concerned about the situation. She said the real Fausto Carmona told her that he had assumed another name.

Acting on this and other information gathered by MLB investigators, the Dominican police were waiting for Carmona outside the U.S. Consulate. He was released Jan. 20 on $13,000 bail.

Hernandez, according to sources close to the investigation, has been cooperating with Dominican and U.S. authorities on just how the fraud took place. He had no choice if he wanted to continue pitching in the big leagues. William Weissman, U.S. consulate general in Santo Domingo, made it clear in public comments following Hernandez's arrest that one of the possible penalties for players using false identifications was a lifetime ban from the United States.

Hernandez has been visiting independent baseball schools since early February, warning young players about the dangers of changing their names and ages. After each speech he passes out T-shirts with the message "In Truth There is Triumph."

Brito says his client tells players that teams will still sign them when they're 18 or 19.

"He tells them not to listen to the [buscones, coaches and trainers] who are trying to convince you to change your identity or age," said Brito. "Those people are trying to take advantage of you."

Country boy

Hernandez's teammates call him "Grande" -- Spanish for large -- because he's 6-4 and weighs close to 250 pounds. As big as he is, Hernandez has made a career of making himself invisible when necessary. When he won 19 games in 2007, teammate CC Sabathia owned the headlines and the Cy Young Award. In dealing with the media, Hernandez has always done what he's required to do, but little else. He'll talk after one of his starts and then makes himself scarce.

"Quiet," is how former Indians bullpen coach Luis Isaac described the pitcher.

Perhaps now we know why.

Hernandez grew up in a village in Yasama, a mostly agricultural region northeast of Santo Domingo. He worked on his father's farm and had already traded his name and identity with Carmona when he left home to sign with the Indians.

Winston Llenas, who ran the Indians' baseball academy in the Dominican Republic at the time, signed Hernandez. Llenas remembered him as being tall and thin with a strong right arm, good movement on his fastball and a bad set of teeth from eating raw sugar cane.

"He was just a country boy, who didn't have access to proper health care," said Llenas.

At the Indians' baseball school, Hernandez was quiet, polite and a fast learner. When the Indians paid to get his teeth fixed, he started gaining weight and velocity on his pitches. He stayed at the school for about a year, played one season in the Dominican Summer League and was off to the States.

The Indians say they didn't know Hernandez's real name or age when they signed him for an estimated $9,000 on Dec. 28, 2000. A college junior in the United States can still be considered a prospect at 20. Traditionally that has not been the case in the Dominican, where MLB teams prefer their prospects to be 16 or 17.

"We had good people there, respected people," said John Hart, Indians general manager at the time, "but we weren't doing the kind of thorough background checks that they do now."

The Indians placed Hernandez on the restricted list on Jan. 26. He doesn't count against their 40-man roster and won't get paid his $7 million salary until he's allowed back into the United States.

A documentary on the Dominican's baseball passion

He is not alone
The Hernandez timeline

Career timeline on Roberto Hernandez, the pitcher Indians fans have known as Fausto Carmona:
2000: On Dec. 18, signed with Indians as a non-drafted free agent for an estimated $9,000. Indians list his birth date as Dec. 7, 1983.
2001: Pitched in the Dominican Summer League.
2002: Made his debut in the United States, pitching in rookie ball at Class A Burlington and Class A Mahoning Valley.
2003: Put himself on Indians organizational map by going 17-4 at Class A Lake County in Eastlake. Baseball America named him the No.3 prospect in the team’s minor league system.
2004: Advanced from Class A Kinston to winning two starts for Class AAA Buffalo in the postseason. Added to the 40-man major-league roster on Nov. 19.
2005: Promoted to the big leagues twice, on July 17 and Sept. 12, but did not appear in a game.
2006: Made his big-league debut on April 15, beating the Tigers by allowing one run in six innings. He was moved to the bullpen and finished the year at 1-10.
2007: Won 19 games and finished fourth in the AL Cy Young voting.
2008: Signed four-year, $15 million contract extension on April 10. Deal included club options from 2012-14.
2009: Went 5-12 and was sent back to the Arizona Rookie League to try and correct his mechanics and mental approach to pitching.
2010: Made his first American League All-Star team.
2011: April 1, made his first opening day start, allowing 10 runs on 11 hits in three innings in a 15-10 loss to Chicago.
2011: Oct. 31, Indians exercised the $7 million option on his contract for 2012.
2012: Jan. 19, arrested by police in the Dominican Republic outside the U.S. Consulate. Dominican authorities say Carmona is really Roberto Hernandez Heredia and that he’s 31 instead of 28.
2012: Jan. 20, released from jail after posting $13,000 bail. Ordered to surrender his passport.
2012: Jan. 26, Indians placed Carmona on the restricted list, meaning they could use his roster spot and didn’t have to pay him until he rejoined the team in the United States.
2012: Feb. 20, Indians pitchers and catchers reported to spring training in Goodyear, Ariz., but Carmona was still in the Dominican Republic.

— Paul Hoynes

Related stories

Lake County host family still supportive

Marlins closer Leo Nunez was charged in September in the Dominican under similar circumstances. His real name is Juan Carlos Oviedo, and he played in the big leagues for the past seven years under an assumed name and age.

Oviedo, who is 29 instead of 28, turned himself in to Dominican authorities. He recently signed a one-year, $6 million contract with the Marlins but, like Hernandez, he's on the restricted list and will not get paid until he's able to join his team in the United States.

How many more players are playing under assumed names in the big leagues and minors? Some estimates put the number as high as 30.

"Given where we've been over the last five years, and the fact that we've had two in the last year, I would be hard pressed to say there is no one else in that situation," said Rob Manfred, MLB's executive vice president of labor and human resources.

The Marlins supposedly knew for months about Oviedo's true identity. How much did the Indians know about Hernandez? Like a lot of their players from the Dominican Republic -- Colon, Jhonny Peralta, Andy Marte -- the Indians heard rumors about Hernandez's age and identity. Acta, a Dominican native, knew about the newspaper story from last year, but did not know if it was accurate. Indians' officials said the arrest caught them by surprise, but the next day they traded for Colorado right-hander Kevin Slowey to compete for Hernandez's spot in the starting rotation.

One explanation for catching long-time identity thieves like Hernandez and Oviedo is that MLB's Investigative Unit is doing a good job stopping fraud among younger players.

"Our focus is a few degrees off of Fausto Carmona," said Manfred. "Our diligence is on the issue of incoming players. When we sign Rob Manfred, age 16, we want to make sure that we're getting Rob Manfred, age 16."

Last year, MLB investigators did background checks on more than 800 players who signed professional contracts in the Dominican Republic. In about 15 percent, fraud was found. MLB statistics say fraud was discovered in over 60 percent of the players investigated in 2002.

With fraud among the younger players decreasing, one investigator said they are hearing more and more about older players.

Headquarters, Santo Domingo

MLB established an office in 2000 in Santo Domingo to try to oversee the flow of players from the Dominican to the U.S. MLB's investigative unit, scouting bureau, baseball academy, drug prevention program and youth baseball program operate out of the building.

Three years ago MLB's Department of Investigations, headed by Dan Mullin, a former deputy chief of the New York City Police Department, took over the investigation of players' identities. The unit includes three full-time investigators, 10 contract investigators and two U.S.-based supervisors who spend two months at a time in the Dominican.

The investigators are subject to lie-detector tests twice a year to guard against fraud. In the past, investigators hired by teams have been involved in the scams they were paid to expose. MLB team employees have also been caught. In 2009, officials and scouts from several teams, including David Wilder, senior director of player personnel of the Chicago White Sox, were fired for allegedly skimming bonuses from Dominican prospects.

No Dominican player can sign a pro contract unless he's first investigated by MLB. Since 2008, a player found to be lying about his age or identity faces a one-year suspension.

Not all prospects receive complete MLB clearance. That usually involves questions about the player's identity. A common practice among buscones is to move a player from one town to another and have him assume the identity of another family. When a player's family history comes into question, he can take a voluntary DNA test -- DNA tests for employment are prohibited in the Dominican Republic -- to prove who he is.

MLB labels its investigation into such players as "inconclusive." It doesn't stop teams from signing them, but it is a red flag.

The investigators are not as rigid concerning a year or two difference in age. They believe age is more of a concern for the team interested in signing the player. The Indians follow MLB's investigation with one of their own on every Latin American player they sign. They avoid players labeled "inconclusive" and administer steroid tests to every player they sign. It is not a fool-proof system.

In 2008, the Indians signed 17-year-old Dominican shortstop Jose Ozoria for $575,000. In 2009, MLB informed them that Ozoria was really Wally Bryan and that he was 20 instead of 17. The Indians kept Bryan in the system, but he was eventually suspended for a year. He is no longer with the organization.

The signing bonus? The Indians never retrieved a cent. When it happened, John Mirabelli, Indians director of scouting, said, "It's a cost of doing business in that part of the world." Since then the Indians have included language in all contracts that says a player will receive his signing bonus only if that player is approved by the U.S. Consulate for a visa to travel to the United States.

Rafael Perez, MLB's director of Dominican Operations (not to be confused with the Indians reliever), says the Department of Investigations is bringing order to a corrupt system.

"We're on the right path," he said.

As part of the process to establish a player's true identity, MLB's Dominican office prepares a list of the country's top 100 amateur players. The players, who must be at least 15 and have their parents' consent, are registered, tested for steroids and scouted in preparation for the international free agent signing season, which begins July 2.

The next challenge to the Dominican's ecosystem for finding, developing, identifying and signing players is the new basic agreement between MLB owners and players. This year each team is limited to just $2.9 million for signing international free agents starting July 2. Last year, Texas alone spent $17.6 million. It seems clear that this is MLB's first step to eliminate the power of the buscones and usher in a worldwide draft.

Through it all, Perez says the supply of players in the Dominican will never end.

"Baseball is the sport. It is the passion in the Dominican," said Perez. "The Dominican player can fulfill the American dream with baseball."

Change in culture

Ulises Cabrera and Brian Mejia are challenging the old ways. In October 2009, they formed the Dominican Prospect League. Since its start, over 200 DPL players have signed contracts worth $35 million.

In the Dominican, there is little, if any, high school baseball. Youth leagues are few and far between. The government doesn't have the money to support such ventures. The DPL, open to players aged 15 to 20, plays games on a weekly basis. It allows big-league teams a chance to evaluate the best players on the island and decide if they want to sign them.

Under the traditional system, buscones teach players the fundamentals -- hitting, fielding, running, throwing. Some buscones house and feed their players. What they don't do is play games.

"That's not playing baseball," said Cabrera. "You're asking big-league teams to commit a lot of money to players based on a tryout.

"By playing games twice a week, we're giving a big-league scout a chance to see a player for 75 at-bats ... just like they could with an American high school kid. The Latin American player deserves to be treated just like the American player."

One of the reasons the league was formed was to help repair the image of baseball in the Dominican. Acta is a member of its advisory board.

"We got a lot of different people to sit down and work on this -- buscones, coaches, trainers and players," said Cabrera.

Cabrera, who played shortstop at Vanderbilt and spent two years in the minors with Texas, said few of the 200 DPL players who signed contracts have run afoul of identity problems.

"What happened with Fausto Carmona was 12 years ago," said Cabrera, a former agent who still includes Acta as a client. "MLB has a lot more oversight in place now. Everybody in baseball knew what was going back then, but they didn't ask those kind of questions. They left it untouched."

Cracking the age barrier

When Hernandez changed his identity in 2000, he was already old by the standards set for Latin American prospects by MLB. Perhaps those times are changing. Cabrera thinks so and believes the DPL has had something to do with it.

"In reality, the majority of players who are signed from Latin American in any given year are older than 16," he said. "The average age is closer to 18 to 19. What the DPL is providing is a chance for MLB teams to actually see these players and the results are that kids 18 and 19 have been receiving contracts larger than they were five to 10 years ago."

Big-league teams prefer younger Latin American players because it can often take two or three years to assimilate a player to pro ball, the English language and American culture.

Age has always been a sore point with Dominican players and officials. Teams give big signing bonuses to Cuban defectors whose identities are harder to investigate than most Latin American players, but are reluctant to do the same with Dominican players once they hit the high teens or early 20s.

As part of the new basic agreement, an International Talent Committee was formed in December. Manfred and Michael Weiner, director of the MLB players association, are co-directors. The worldwide draft will be its main focus, but they will address a number of issues in their twice-monthly meetings.

"That is a topic, a big topic on the international committee we've formed," said Manfred.

Will that be enough to stop the next tall, skinny Dominican pitcher from turning his life upside down for a chance at the big leagues? It would be nice to say yes, but as Indians pitcher Ubaldo Jimenez said of his teammate and fellow Dominican: "It's hard to say no when they tell you if you're two or three years younger, you can make more money and get to the big leagues. Roberto wasn't the first to do it and he won't be the last."

web page

--------------------
You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

Adam_P
Hall of Famer

Reged: Nov 20 2006
Loc: South Euclid, OH

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: GratefulDawg]
      #903796 - Mon Feb 27 2012 11:19 PM

I really hope that all this mess is the impetus the organization needs to sever ties with the bum for good.

no_logo_required
Legend

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: Adam_P]
      #903798 - Mon Feb 27 2012 11:23 PM

crazy that the Tribe has lost 3 of their supposed corps guys before spring training even broke.

--------------------

Dave
Hall of Famer

#903828 - Tue Feb 28 2012 05:53 AM

I wonder if there's a reason why the Indians have so many of these "oblique strains", or if its that common elsewhere. Last year we had Choo and Kipnis with it. I remember further back when CC and Cliff Lee both had oblique strains (in different years), but don't remember ever even hearing of the injury before that. You'd think a ballplayer with Perez's experience would know without being told that you have to warm up and loosen up before you cut loose with mid 90's gas, but apparently he really is that dumb.

ClayM57
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 25 2006
Loc: Wauseon, Ohio, Northwest corne...

#903837 - Tue Feb 28 2012 07:20 AM

Is it time to resign Russel Branyon & Austin Kerns for the 26th time...player dropping like flies

Dave
Hall of Famer

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: ClayM57]
      #904059 - Tue Feb 28 2012 02:43 PM

Nice to see the old gang together again ...

Albert Belle pays Tribe a visit: Cleveland Indians spring training briefing

Tuesday, February 28, 2012, 1:06 PM
By Paul Hoynes, The Plain Dealer

from left, Sandy Alomar, Carlos Baerga, Albert Belle, Mike Hargrove and Kenny Lofton

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Albert Belle is back with the Indians. At least for a day.

Belle, one of the most controversial players in franchise history, visited his old team's training camp Tuesday morning. Former teammates Carlos Baerga and Kenny Lofton persuaded Belle to come to camp to try and smooth the rocky relationship that has existed between the Indians and Belle.

It's the first time Belle has visited the Tribe in any capacity since he left the team in 1996 as a free agent following a career highlighted by big numbers on the field and suspensions off it.

Lofton, Baerga, Sandy Alomar Jr. and manager Mike Hargrove greeted Belle. With Hargrove as their manager, those four players helped lead the Indians to their first World Series appearance in 41 years in 1995. The 1995 Indians won 100 games in a strike-shortened 144 games season.

Asked what convinced him to come to camp, Belle said, "I wanted to see the guys. I wanted to rehash some old memories. It's good to see everybody."

Belle played with the Indians from 1989 through 1996. He is second in franchise history with 242 homers, ninth in extra base hits with 481 and 10th in RBI with 751. At one time during a free-flowing, memory-filled press conference, Lofton, Belle and Baerga were standing side my side. When they played in Cleveland they were No.7, No.8 and No. 9.

"How about that. . .seven, eight and nine," said Lofton.

A right hip injury ended Belle's career with Baltimore in 2001. If he had played two or three more years, his numbers could have put him in the Hall of Fame.

"When I got hurt in 2000 and couldn't play in 2001, I was devastated," said Belle. "I didn't watch. I didn't watch any highlights of baseball until Game 7 when the D-Backs won the World Series. I keep up with it now and watch a few games."

Belle lives in Scottsdale, Ariz., with his wife and four young daughters.

"I'm a stay-at-home Dad," said Belle. "I'm Mr. Mom and I golf a lot. I'll tell you facing David Cone or Roger Clemens was easy compared to being a dad. It seems like all kids get tired and cranky at the same time."

Not surprisingly, his daughters can swing the bat.

"My wife bought them a little t-ball set," said Belle. "They love to go hit t-ball. I'd like them to play golf or tennis, but they'd rather hit the t-ball."

Belle didn't think there was a problem between the Indians and him.

"I thought the fences were already mended," said Belle. "That was a long time ago. That's the thing about free agency. It can create some bad feelings. I would have loved to play with these guys (Lofton, Baerga and Alomar) another five to 10 years. It didn't work that way. But we've all gone on to have some success."

© 2012 cleveland.com

Edited by Dave (Tue Feb 28 2012 02:52 PM)

Punchsmack
Legend

Current High Scores in:
Asteroids
      #904094 - Tue Feb 28 2012 03:50 PM

WOW...that picture is really cool. A lot of my sports memories are filled with those five guys. Goodness. Very, very good times (and a little bit of "what could have been" too).

--------------------
"Run" - Walter White

I_Rogue
Hall of Famer

Reged: Feb 21 2007
Loc: NE, OH-IO

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: Punchsmack]
      #904102 - Tue Feb 28 2012 04:12 PM

Albert Belle was LebRon before LeBron was LeBron.

Look...was I PO'd AB left the tried for money and the ChiSox? Yes. But, it was free agency. I just can't forget about him chasing down trick-or-treaters in his SUV or the fact he referred to Indians fans as "village idiots."

--------------------
Give a man a fish and he'll vote for you. Teach a man to fish and he'll move to Texas.

Browns Lifer
Hall of Famer

Reged: Jan 16 2007
Loc: Medina, OH

#904106 - Tue Feb 28 2012 04:19 PM

Ahh... memories. Those WERE good times indeed.

--------------------
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain

ExclDawg
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 19 2006

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: I_Rogue]
      #904107 - Tue Feb 28 2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Albert Belle was LebRon before LeBron was LeBron.

Look...was I PO'd AB left the tried for money and the ChiSox? Yes. But, it was free agency. I just can't forget about him chasing down trick-or-treaters in his SUV or the fact he referred to Indians fans as "village idiots."

From what I've heard about AB ... he was actually a really nice guy, until you ticked him off.

Awesome picture though! Too bad they couldn't pull in Omar, Thome and a few other guys.

Spergon FTWynn
Legend

Reged: Sep 12 2006
Loc: 16 spots ahead of Tom Brady

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: ExclDawg]
      #904156 - Tue Feb 28 2012 06:38 PM

I'll never forget his first game back, all the boos, some dude dumping a bag of monopoly money off the home run porch, the countless chants of joey which eventually set him off as he turned around and flipped off the fans. Good times.

In my 30 years of watching Indians baseball, there isn't another guy I'd want at the plate past the 7th inning with the game on the line. That dude was as clutch as they came. That includes Manny too, BTW. Late game situations I'd take AB over Manny all day and twice on Sunday.

--------------------

@dpaoloni

GratefulDawg
Dawg Talker

Reged: Mar 19 2007
Loc: Chautauqua Lake, NY

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: Browns Lifer]
      #904184 - Tue Feb 28 2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Ahh... memories. Those WERE good times indeed.

Just want to add my " Good Times " also.

--------------------
You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

OverToad
Legend

#904290 - Wed Feb 29 2012 03:34 AM

My God...the years have NOT been kind to Albert...

--------------------
Hmmmm...

YTownBrownsFan
Legend

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: OverToad]
      #904293 - Wed Feb 29 2012 05:12 AM

Shoot, there was a time when I would have bet against him making it to 45 at all. here he is today, happily married, a father of 4 .... by all accounts a good father .......

That is all far more that I would have thought he would have achieved.

--------------------

ClayM57
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 25 2006
Loc: Wauseon, Ohio, Northwest corne...

Re: Sizemore Injured Again [Re: OverToad]
      #904302 - Wed Feb 29 2012 06:40 AM

Welcome back Albert....you've been missed, thanks for all the great memories.....Thank-you

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Dawg Talkers Message Boards >> Tailgate Forum

Extra information
2 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 10468

Jump to

Contact Us dawgtalkers.net