NFL on ESPN.com
NFL on CBS
NFL on FOX
SportsIllustrated.com
Cleveland PlainDealer
Canton Repository
Akron BeaconJournal
DawgTalkers Pick'ems

Dawg Talkers Message Boards >> Everything Else...

Pages: 1
Squires
Dawg Talker

Reged: Nov 01 2006

Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345
      #898185 - Wed Feb 08 2012 09:24 PM

Time to change everyone's password to 54321.

If we're honest, many of us are likely guilty of using sub-par passwords. However, chances are, if we were hacked, no one but us would have to know about it. The same can't be said for Syrian president Bashar al-Assad, who is facing public ridicule after his account was compromised.

It seems al-Assad recently became the target of web hactivist group Anonymous; the group managed to successfully hack into his email account this week. That said, we imagine the job was something of a bore for Anonymous, which just last week revealed that it had managed to eavesdrop on a phone call between Scotland Yard and the FBI. After all, it can't have taken much hacking prowess to access an account protected with the world's second weakest password: 12345. To make matters worse, Anonymous was also able to access 78 accounts belonging to al-Assad's staff, with 33 of them using the same 12345 or 123456 passwords.

Forbes cites Israel's Haaretz newspaper in reporting that the attacked the mail server of the Syrian Ministry of Presidential Affairs overnight on Sunday. The breach has resulted in hundreds of emails from al-Assad and his staff being leaked. Among them was correspondence between Syrian UN Mission Sheherazad Jaafari and Assad's media advisor Bouthaina Shaaban discussing preparation for the president's interview with Barbara Walters.

Syria's no stranger to the attention of Anonymous at this point. In August of 2011, the group hacked the government's defence ministry. Just a few weeks later, they hacked into and vandalized several of the country's government websites. '

web page

--------------------
It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator            Share: Post to facebook   Digg this   Post to del.icio.us
~TuX~
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 12 2006
Loc: CA

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: Squires]
      #898191 - Wed Feb 08 2012 10:13 PM

--------------------

"Don't be burdened by regrets or make your failures an obsession or become embittered or possessed by ruined hopes"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator            Share: Post to facebook   Digg this   Post to del.icio.us
FloridaFan
Legend

Reged: Sep 10 2006

#898222 - Thu Feb 09 2012 07:24 AM

Doesn't surprise me.

Here I sometimes have to gain access to people computers when they are fired or whatever, and probably 3 out of 4 times I can guess their password without having to reset it first or log in through the backdoor admin access.

Heck about 1/4 of our people have their password on a post-a-note on their monitor.

--------------------
Growing Old Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional.

Damanshot
Legend

Reged: Sep 11 2006
Loc: Aurora, Ohio

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: FloridaFan]
      #898228 - Thu Feb 09 2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Doesn't surprise me.

Here I sometimes have to gain access to people computers when they are fired or whatever, and probably 3 out of 4 times I can guess their password without having to reset it first or log in through the backdoor admin access.

Heck about 1/4 of our people have their password on a post-a-note on their monitor.

Geez,.. thats just scary

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving isn't for you

Arps
Hall of Famer

Reged: Jan 09 2007
Loc: Middlebury Indiana

#898231 - Thu Feb 09 2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

I see this all the time... hilarious. Whats the point?

--------------------
“What do you want me to say? Penalties are bad.”

Buckeyed11
Dawg Talker

Reged: Aug 09 2009
Loc: Kent, Ohio

#898232 - Thu Feb 09 2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

or on a post-it note underneath their keyboard. lol.

FreeAgent
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 12 2006

Current High Scores in:
Frogger
Pac-Man
Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: Arps]
      #898235 - Thu Feb 09 2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I see this all the time... hilarious. Whats the point?

Some might not care if someone in the company needs/wants to gain access to the computer but if someone hacks in from the outside obviously they can't see the post-it note on the computer screen.

--------------------

Arps
Hall of Famer

Reged: Jan 09 2007
Loc: Middlebury Indiana

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: FreeAgent]
      #898246 - Thu Feb 09 2012 10:19 AM

All of the places I've been, the people who need access have it and their own PC. The people that dont need access dont. Passwords taped to desks and monitors pretty much flush that all down the toilet.

--------------------
“What do you want me to say? Penalties are bad.”

Buckeyed11
Dawg Talker

Reged: Aug 09 2009
Loc: Kent, Ohio

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: Arps]
      #898248 - Thu Feb 09 2012 10:30 AM

i just did a count. at my place of employment, over 50% have their pet's name as their password.

PrplPplEater
Legend

Reged: Sep 10 2006
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: Buckeyed11]
      #898250 - Thu Feb 09 2012 10:47 AM

No matter... if you can gain physical access to a machine, you can wipe any password in the time it takes to boot up.

--------------------
-Chris

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

brownsfansince79
Legend

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: PrplPplEater]
      #898307 - Thu Feb 09 2012 02:45 PM

I personally like the password pass123

--------------------
"The crowd, having been promised nothing, felt cheated, having received nothing." Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

"I watch in case we don't lose." DawgMichelle

BrownsBabe
Hall of Famer

Loc: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio USA

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: brownsfansince79]
      #898370 - Thu Feb 09 2012 05:17 PM

My work email default password is password. Well, it was until I found out how to change it.

--------------------

Ballpeen
Legend

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: BrownsBabe]
      #898425 - Thu Feb 09 2012 08:32 PM

My passwords are all the same when they can....a 6 letter, misspelled word, a upper case number symbol, and 4 numbers.

--------------------
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

Draftdayz
Dawg Talker

Reged: Oct 05 2006
Loc: Boston, MA

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: Ballpeen]
      #898645 - Fri Feb 10 2012 01:34 PM

Reminds me of this Xkcd comic

--------------------
There are no sacred cows.

ddubia
Hall of Famer

#899275 - Sun Feb 12 2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

After all, it can't have taken much hacking prowess to access an account protected with the world's second weakest password: 12345.

So what's the weakest?

Since I don't know I probably use it.

Lyuokdea
Dawg Talker

Reged: Sep 13 2006

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: ddubia]
      #899279 - Mon Feb 13 2012 12:00 AM

the most common password in the US is "password"

--------------------
~Lyuokdea

ddubia
Hall of Famer

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: Lyuokdea]
      #899303 - Mon Feb 13 2012 07:47 AM

Wow. Figures though, it's like outsmarting one's self. Nobody will expect Metcalf up the middle kind of thing.

I thought I had a strong password until I saw the cartoon Deisel linked to. I don't know if the math is really correct in that cartoon but it makes a world of sense.

Squires
Dawg Talker

Reged: Nov 01 2006

#899586 - Mon Feb 13 2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

After all, it can't have taken much hacking prowess to access an account protected with the world's second weakest password: 12345.

So what's the weakest?

Since I don't know I probably use it.

Here's some data for you.

Common Passwords

--------------------
It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!

Dawgpound017
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 14 2006
Loc: Youngstown, OH

#899842 - Tue Feb 14 2012 08:11 PM

That's amazing. I have the same combination on my luggage!

--------------------

"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."

BrownsBabe
Hall of Famer

Loc: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio USA

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: Dawgpound017]
      #899854 - Tue Feb 14 2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

--------------------

Dawgpound017
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 14 2006
Loc: Youngstown, OH

Re: Anonymous Hacks Syrian President; His Password Was 12345 [Re: BrownsBabe]
      #900861 - Sat Feb 18 2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

--------------------

"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."

Pages: 1

Dawg Talkers Message Boards >> Everything Else...

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1354

Jump to

Contact Us dawgtalkers.net