NFL on ESPN.com
NFL on CBS
NFL on FOX
SportsIllustrated.com
Cleveland PlainDealer
Canton Repository
Akron BeaconJournal
DawgTalkers Pick'ems

Dawg Talkers Message Boards >> Everything Else...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Kendall Storm
All Pro

Reged: Jun 13 2011

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: RocketOptimist]
      #904068 - Tue Feb 28 2012 03:06 PM

reread my post.I did bring up his lack of a proper upbring where he wasn't shown love and nuturing.
all this anime does draw him away from the actual world we live in.
The more you live in a fantasy world,the less time you can function normally in the real world.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator            Share: Post to facebook   Digg this   Post to del.icio.us
Damanshot
Legend

Reged: Sep 11 2006
Loc: Aurora, Ohio

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Kendall Storm]
      #904088 - Tue Feb 28 2012 03:38 PM

Just clicking,, if anyone is interested, they are about to show a court room appearance live with this shooter..

http://www.cleveland.com/chardon-shooting/index.ssf/2012/02/chardon_high_school_shooting_w.html

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving isn't for you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator            Share: Post to facebook   Digg this   Post to del.icio.us
brownsfansince79
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Damanshot]
      #904091 - Tue Feb 28 2012 03:44 PM

Pretty sure I don't feel the need to watch a scared kid who knows his life is over.

--------------------
"The crowd, having been promised nothing, felt cheated, having received nothing." Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

"I watch in case we don't lose." DawgMichelle

Damanshot
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: brownsfansince79]
      #904101 - Tue Feb 28 2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Pretty sure I don't feel the need to watch a scared kid who knows his life is over.

They won't allow the cameras to show the kid, his family or thier attorney. It's kinda over already...

--------------------

Squires
Dawg Talker

Reged: Nov 01 2006

#904103 - Tue Feb 28 2012 04:14 PM

jc

Is this the first time they've caught a school shooter alive? I seem to recall the shooter always committing suicide.

--------------------
It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!

IRE 45
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 13 2006

#904104 - Tue Feb 28 2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

I know what you are trying to say but this kids life isn't over . He will still experience joy and happiness maybe even love although it will be different from what he could have experienced otherwise. The 3 kids he murdered ? Now those lives are over .

IRE 45
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 13 2006

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Squires]
      #904105 - Tue Feb 28 2012 04:18 PM

Naa the kids from Arkansas were caught alive.

PDR
Legend

Reged: Sep 10 2006

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: IRE 45]
      #904153 - Tue Feb 28 2012 06:26 PM

j/c

I was just reading up on the incident, and CBSNews has all sorts of screenshots of the deceased kids' Facebook and MySpace pages ... does this bother anyone else?

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, but ... how about a little respect and privacy for the grieving families? Some of them have implicitly asked for it.

--------------------
Single. Digit. Losses.

Spergon FTWynn
Legend

Reged: Sep 12 2006
Loc: 16 spots ahead of Tom Brady

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: PDR]
      #904160 - Tue Feb 28 2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

j/c

I was just reading up on the incident, and CBSNews has all sorts of screenshots of the deceased kids' Facebook and MySpace pages ... does this bother anyone else?

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, but ... how about a little respect and privacy for the grieving families? Some of them have implicitly asked for it.

Yeah probably, but maybe it can be used to help prevent this from happening somewhere else. I guess I can see both sides of it. I wish parents would pay more attention to their kids. It sounds like this kid's parents were pretty crappy.

--------------------

@dpaoloni

PrplPplEater
Legend

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

#904166 - Tue Feb 28 2012 06:54 PM

I think that sort of thing is absolutely classless and tasteless.

I long for the days where a sense of decency was the norm and not something that would surprise you.

--------------------
-Chris

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

YTownBrownsFan
Legend

Loc: YTown, Ohio

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: PrplPplEater]
      #904189 - Tue Feb 28 2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

I think that sort of thing is absolutely classless and tasteless.

I long for the days where a sense of decency was the norm and not something that would surprise you.

Ditto, 1,000,000%.

This is an important news story, but I sometimes think that members of the news media forget that people died when they report like that. The news media has a right to get the story, and a responsibility to report it ...... but they should do so in a respectful manner that will not hurt the victims' families and friends. This is not a story that needs every stone overturned in search of a scoop. It is a tragedy, and should be treated in such a manner.

--------------------
Welcome to the Browns Coach Pettine.

Hope you survive the experience.

"Danger is real, but fear is a choice." Cavaliers Coach David Blatt, from his son

brownsfansince79
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: YTownBrownsFan]
      #904209 - Tue Feb 28 2012 07:53 PM

While I agree totally with you, my question is, why should the media be respectful and tasteful? I can only imagine how many thousands of hits those sites are getting. I saw a news story that said there's surveillance footage of the kid shooting the other kids. As far as I know, it hasn't been released yet.

But, you know as soon as it's released, millions of people will watch it.

If people demanded the media be more respectful and tasteful, the media would be. But, a vast majority of people complain about the media but still look at all that crap.

--------------------
"The crowd, having been promised nothing, felt cheated, having received nothing." Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

PDR
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Spergon FTWynn]
      #904224 - Tue Feb 28 2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah probably, but maybe it can be used to help prevent this from happening somewhere else.

I don't see how displaying a dead kid's Facebook page would provide any insight into prevention.

Quote:

I wish parents would pay more attention to their kids. It sounds like this kid's parents were pretty crappy.

I'll preface by saying this, because this is always a touchy subject:

The kid who pulled the trigger is the one responsible. Period.

But with that said ... I remember back when Columbine happened and people decided to blame Marilyn Manson (whose music I can't stand but who I think is a very bright guy), he was asked what he would say to the Columbine kids if he could talk to them, and he said 'I wouldn't say a single word to them. I would listen to what they have to say, and that's what no one did.'

I think there's a lot of truth to that, on several different levels.

--------------------
Single. Digit. Losses.

Damanshot
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Squires]
      #904239 - Tue Feb 28 2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

jc

Is this the first time they've caught a school shooter alive? I seem to recall the shooter always committing suicide.

didn't the kid in Kentucky in the late 90's live.. Maybe not.. Not sure.. You may be right

--------------------

Damanshot
Legend

#904248 - Tue Feb 28 2012 09:03 PM

I guess I'm wrong.. this kid in chardon isn't the only one to surive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_High_School_shooting

--------------------

brownsfansince79
Legend

Chardon shooter chose victims randomly... [Re: Damanshot]
      #904257 - Tue Feb 28 2012 09:41 PM

link

Apparently, had nothing to do with bullying or drugs. Targets were picked out randomly. Pretty obvious the kid had some pretty serious mental problems.

I've gotta think that if he hadn't been chased out by that football coach, he might have hurt a lot more people.

--------------------

Edited by brownsfansince79 (Tue Feb 28 2012 09:42 PM)

PrplPplEater
Legend

#904259 - Tue Feb 28 2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

While I agree totally with you, my question is, why should the media be respectful and tasteful? I can only imagine how many thousands of hits those sites are getting. I saw a news story that said there's surveillance footage of the kid shooting the other kids. As far as I know, it hasn't been released yet.

But, you know as soon as it's released, millions of people will watch it.

If people demanded the media be more respectful and tasteful, the media would be. But, a vast majority of people complain about the media but still look at all that crap.

Because SOMEBODY needs to be the adult and have some ethics. Just because people want to see it doesn't mean that it's a good idea to show it.

--------------------
-Chris

AsianDawg
All Pro

Reged: May 19 2008
Loc: Willow Grove, Ohio, USA

Re: Chardon shooter chose victims randomly... [Re: brownsfansince79]
      #904264 - Tue Feb 28 2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

link

Apparently, had nothing to do with bullying or drugs. Targets were picked out randomly. Pretty obvious the kid had some pretty serious mental problems.

I've gotta think that if he hadn't been chased out by that football coach, he might have hurt a lot more people.

Mr. Hall put his life in danger, and like Dave Sanders, he should be commended. From what I understand, he bull-rushed him and the kid got scared and bolted.

Dave Sanders was a teacher at Columbine who died helping kids escape in 99.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_David_Sanders

William David "Dave" Sanders (October 22, 1951 – April 20, 1999) was a computer and business teacher at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, USA. He was also the coach of the girls basketball and softball teams, though he is best known for his heroic efforts in helping to evacuate over 100 students during the Columbine High School massacre. Sanders was killed in his efforts. He was 47 years old.

I hope that orgs like the Bro}ns reach out to this community-the hilltoppers live and breathe football.

--------------------
Go Browns!

archbolddawg
Legend

Re: Chardon shooter chose victims randomly... [Re: AsianDawg]
      #904269 - Tue Feb 28 2012 10:36 PM

Out of curiosity - what should the Browns do? Or the Cav's, or Indians? What should they do?

What does this have to do with football? Chardon is like 35 miles from Cleveland? Archbold is about 150 miles from Cleveland. If some kid walks in and murders 3 students in Archbold would you hope the Browns did something? If so, what?

no_logo_required
Legend

Reged: Oct 11 2006

Re: Chardon shooter chose victims randomly... [Re: archbolddawg]
      #904273 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:21 PM

Larry Dolan put a statement out in the press. An acknowledgement to the tragedy. I suspect that he will create a scholarship in the names of the students who died or something to that effect (Larry Dolan operates his lawfirm out of Chardon, so he has a personal connection with that area as well).

It doesn't do anything "real" but just knowing that they will be remembered sometimes helps a little. You have to start somewhere.

--------------------
"There’s a phrase for almost losing, it’s called winning."
-Coach Pettine

Damanshot
Legend

Re: Chardon shooter chose victims randomly... [Re: no_logo_required]
      #904311 - Wed Feb 29 2012 07:30 AM

I just read Dolans comments., pretty heart felt and sincere.

I don't know if having comments made by our sports franchises is a help or not. but it's not gonna hurt anything either. It's really an acknowledgment of the tragedy..

--------------------

PeteyDangerous
Hall of Famer

Reged: Jan 17 2007

#904334 - Wed Feb 29 2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

didn't the kid in Kentucky in the late 90's live.. Maybe not.. Not sure.. You may be right

Nope, a kid in Oregon I saw on Discovery's Crime Channel (Forgot its name) shot some kids at his school after killing his parents, some varsity wrestler kid (who was wounded) ended up tackling him while he was reloading.

Another kid with major mental issues, normal home for him. I just remember some recording of him with the cops when he was crying because there was something wrong with his mind and how he wanted the voices to stop or something. I think he only killed one student though

And yeah, both kids in Arkansas made it. How about the one in Alaska or that Indian Reservation?

--------------------
UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball

no_logo_required
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: PeteyDangerous]
      #904339 - Wed Feb 29 2012 09:50 AM

sadly there are too many instances of these school shootings. and you didn't even touch on the VaTech tragedies or other college shootings.

and the college shooting closest to home (especially to me as I was supposed to be picking up my final exam in the building when it happened - thankfully my mom called me and she needed help at home)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15767366/ns/...rve-university/

--------------------
-Coach Pettine

kingodawg
Hall of Famer

Loc: Kent Ohio

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: PeteyDangerous]
      #904348 - Wed Feb 29 2012 10:27 AM

I think I saw on TV that the kids from Arkansas are scheduled to be released from jail soon

KING

--------------------
You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map.

DCDAWGFAN
Legend

#904581 - Wed Feb 29 2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Just because people want to see it doesn't mean that it's a good idea to show it.

I don't even think people "want" to see it.. they watch it out of some morbid curiosity like watching a train wreck.. But it's a competitive market and its all about ratings so they will show what people will watch..

--------------------
"Success is not owned, it's leased and the rent is due every day." JJ Watt

DCDAWGFAN
Legend

#904583 - Wed Feb 29 2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

But with that said ... I remember back when Columbine happened and people decided to blame Marilyn Manson (whose music I can't stand but who I think is a very bright guy), he was asked what he would say to the Columbine kids if he could talk to them, and he said 'I wouldn't say a single word to them. I would listen to what they have to say, and that's what no one did.'

That is rather profound and equally true.

--------------------
"Success is not owned, it's leased and the rent is due every day." JJ Watt

PrplPplEater
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: DCDAWGFAN]
      #904665 - Wed Feb 29 2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just because people want to see it doesn't mean that it's a good idea to show it.

I don't even think people "want" to see it.. they watch it out of some morbid curiosity like watching a train wreck.. But it's a competitive market and its all about ratings so they will show what people will watch..

I'm well aware of the reasons... and that is precisely the void created by a lack of ethics. Ratings be damned... there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, and there was a time not that long ago that there was enough decency in this nation that those lines weren't crossed.

--------------------
-Chris

Damanshot
Legend

#904751 - Thu Mar 01 2012 07:18 AM

can't speak for anyone else, but i don't want to see it..

--------------------

FloridaFan
Legend

#904755 - Thu Mar 01 2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm well aware of the reasons... and that is precisely the void created by a lack of ethics. Ratings be damned... there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, and there was a time not that long ago that there was enough decency in this nation that those lines weren't crossed.

It'll be out there, and if people want to see it they can find it. But the media should have some respect and refrain from plastering it all over the place themselves in a bid to be "the first", "exclusive".

Whitney Houston Died on Feb 11, and was buried Feb 18. We got constant news coverage of the events and all in between, NBC Today Show even did a full 2 hr show the morning after her death on just Whitney.

These soldiers died while serving our country during the same timeframe and I bet not one of them was mentioned outside of local hometown papers or news broadcast.

Society may be messed up, but the media is the catalyst.

Quote:

http://www.militarytimes.com/valor/

Air Force Capt. Ryan P. Hall
February 18, 2012
30, of Colorado Springs, Colo.; assigned to the 319th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.; died Feb. 18 near Camp… [Read More]

Air Force Senior Airman Julian S. Scholten
February 18, 2012
26, of Upper Marlboro, Md.; assigned to 25th Intelligence Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.; died Feb. 18 near Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti,… [Read More]

Air Force Capt. Nicholas S. Whitlock
February 18, 2012
29, of Newnan, Ga.; assigned to the 34th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.; died Feb. 18 near Camp Lemonnier,… [Read More]

Air Force 1st Lt. Justin J. Wilkens
February 18, 2012
26, of Bend, Ore.; assigned to the 34th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.; died Feb. 18 near Camp Lemonnier,… [Read More]

Navy Hull Maintenance Technician 1st Class Paris S. Pough
February 17, 2012
40, of Columbus, Ga.; assigned to the aircraft carrier Carl Vinson, homeported in San Diego; died Feb. 17 of non-combat… [Read More]

Army Sgt. Jerry D. Reed II
February 16, 2012
30, of Russellville, Ark.; assigned to 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment, 172nd Separate Infantry Brigade, Grafenwoehr, Germany; died Feb. 16… [Read More]

Navy Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Kyler L. Estrada
February 14, 2012
21, of Maricopa, Ariz.; assigned to 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Camp Pendleton, Calif.; died Feb. 14 as a result of… [Read More]

Army Pfc. Cesar Cortez
February 11, 2012
24, of Oceanside, Calif., assigned to 5th Battalion, 52nd Air Defense Artillery Regiment, 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade, 32nd Army… [Read More]

--------------------
Growing Old Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional.

YTownBrownsFan
Legend

Loc: YTown, Ohio

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: FloridaFan]
      #904783 - Thu Mar 01 2012 09:46 AM

National media is driven by a national political agenda, especially with regards to war and economics.

Further, they live for ratings, and plastering Houston's, or some other famous person's, face all over their tv broadcasts, playing their music, and so on, is good ratings material. It plays on nostalgia, and let's people feel somewhat good, even in the face of a "tragedy". (which a celebrity death may, or may not be, depending on who you ask)

The death of soldiers isn't particularly good for ratings, and it also doesn't fit their current political agenda. (and I apologize for taking this thread so far off-topic)

--------------------
Welcome to the Browns Coach Pettine.

Hope you survive the experience.

"Danger is real, but fear is a choice." Cavaliers Coach David Blatt, from his son

no_logo_required
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: YTownBrownsFan]
      #904799 - Thu Mar 01 2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

National media is driven by

ratings. ratings = money.

--------------------
-Coach Pettine

hazelyB
Rookie

Reged: Mar 07 2012

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Kendall Storm]
      #906506 - Wed Mar 07 2012 12:45 AM

The shooting was bloody and really put everybody in danger causing the lockdown. There are several definitions for the term lockdown, the most common of which pertains to a state of containment or a restriction of progression. They are also used to protect people inside a facility from a dangerous external event: in the United States, schools practice lockdowns in the wake of the Columbine High School massacre where potential assailants who were possessing firearms or enter the school without permission. Adjacent schools in Georgia were locked down for two hours Wed after a text message apparently cautioned of a "gunman" on campus. Later, it was discovered that the message was the consequence of a smartphone autocorrect function, attempting to "fix" the misspelled slang word "gunna." Autocorrected message leads to school lock down and lead to panic.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Dawg Talkers Message Boards >> Everything Else...

Extra information
1 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6315

Jump to

Contact Us dawgtalkers.net