NFL on ESPN.com
NFL on CBS
NFL on FOX
SportsIllustrated.com
Cleveland PlainDealer
Canton Repository
Akron BeaconJournal
DawgTalkers Pick'ems

Dawg Talkers Message Boards >> Everything Else...

Pages: 1
HarleyDawg51
Dawg Talker

Reged: Sep 11 2006

Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66
      #904457 - Wed Feb 29 2012 02:40 PM

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=707905

The Monkees' frontman, Davy Jones, has died at the age of 66. His death was confirmed to People by the medical examiner in Martin County, Fla. The news was first reported by TMZ.

The "Daydream Believer" singer passed away at Martin Memorial Hospital in Florida on Wednesday after suffering a heart attack, according to TMZ.

The Britain-born star began his career as a child actor on the long-running U.K. soap opera "Coronation Street" before finding fame in the 1960s as a member of the Monkees, a group formed to star in a TV series of the same name.

The band split in 1971, and Jones went on to established himself as a solo star. He also joined forces with fellow Monkee Micky Dolenz to form their own group, Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart, with songwriters Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart.

The Monkees reunited for a troubled tour in 2001. Another reunion, for their 45th anniversary trek last year, also ended abruptly when they canceled the second half of the tour without explanation.

Jones last hit the stage on Feb. 19 for a solo show in Oklahoma.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator            Share: Post to facebook   Digg this   Post to del.icio.us
brownsfansince79
Legend

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: HarleyDawg51]
      #904480 - Wed Feb 29 2012 03:05 PM

Too bad. Always liked the Monkees music, even if it wasn't the "deepest" meaning-wise.

--------------------
The crowd, having been promised nothing, felt cheated, having received nothing.
--Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator            Share: Post to facebook   Digg this   Post to del.icio.us
YTownBrownsFan
Legend

Loc: YTown, Ohio

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: brownsfansince79]
      #904482 - Wed Feb 29 2012 03:07 PM

What?

"Hey, Hey, We're the Monkeys, and people say we monkey around ......."

That's not deep and meaningful to you? Have you no heart sir?

Anyway .... RIP Mr Jones. I was never a big Monkey's fan ..... but they were popular, with the goofy TV show to go with their music.

--------------------
Welcome to the Browns Coach Pettine.

Hope you survive the experience.

StarglowEnergy
Dawg Talker

Reged: Sep 12 2006
Loc: Tampa, Florida

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: YTownBrownsFan]
      #904601 - Wed Feb 29 2012 06:47 PM

Back in the day when we were all considered to be teenie boppers.

I guess the Monkeys were considered to be part of the British Invasion during that era.

I sure rememeber all the airplay they used to get, and that silly televsion show that I would watch on the tube.

The band sure did not possess much talent, but they were the Monkeys.

RIP Davey Jones, it seems as if he had a fun life but died too soon.

--------------------

GO BROWNS!

Damanshot
Legend

Loc: Aurora, Ohio

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: StarglowEnergy]
      #904608 - Wed Feb 29 2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Back in the day when we were all considered to be teenie boppers.

I guess the Monkeys were considered to be part of the British Invasion during that era.

I sure rememeber all the airplay they used to get, and that silly televsion show that I would watch on the tube.

The band sure did not possess much talent, but they were the Monkeys.

RIP Davey Jones, it seems as if he had a fun life but died too soon.

i actually met him, mickey dolenz and peter tork in ny once. they were doing a concert in serratoga springs and stayed that the same hotel we did.

nice guy,,

rip davey

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving isn't for you

Ballpeen
Legend

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: Damanshot]
      #904619 - Wed Feb 29 2012 07:33 PM

Sorry to hear that R.I.P.

I liked the Monkees, they had several catchy tunes that will live on.

--------------------
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

Tulsa
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 21 2006
Loc: on a twisty road

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: Ballpeen]
      #904621 - Wed Feb 29 2012 07:37 PM

Really liked their TV show when I was a kid. It wasn't them playing but we never knew that then.

RIP Davy!

Ballpeen
Legend

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: Tulsa]
      #904625 - Wed Feb 29 2012 07:51 PM

No doubt.

They played, but not on the show or even much on stage....they had a big band behind them.

None the less, they became icons and a part of rock/pop history.

It's like "The Archies"....I don't even know if there was a band "The Archies", but everybody sings to "Sugar, Sugar"....come on, admit it, it will set you free....

Sort of like Tommy Boy and this song.

I have sung to both of them....a catchy song is a catchy song.

--------------------
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

StarglowEnergy
Dawg Talker

Loc: Tampa, Florida

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: Ballpeen]
      #904633 - Wed Feb 29 2012 08:29 PM

Right on Peen.

Thanks for sharing that video, brings back good memories!

The Monkeys were good back in the days, music has alway been the best.

--------------------

GO BROWNS!

jfanent
Hall of Famer

Loc: Oregon, Ohio

#904657 - Wed Feb 29 2012 09:48 PM

Are they going to have a 4hr televised funeral? Are flags to be flown at half mast? Will Bobby Brown be invited?

--------------------
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does.

no_logo_required
Legend

Reged: Oct 11 2006

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: jfanent]
      #904803 - Thu Mar 01 2012 10:30 AM

I want the eulogy to be read off ticker tape that someone streams out of their mouth (don't know why but that's the thing I remember the most from the show).

R.I.P. Davy

--------------------
"Thereís a phrase for almost losing, itís called winning."
-Coach Pettine

Kendall Storm
All Pro

Reged: Jun 13 2011

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: no_logo_required]
      #904834 - Thu Mar 01 2012 11:16 AM

there goes another celebrity Scooby Doo cartoons.

Punchsmack
Hall of Famer

Reged: Oct 10 2006
Loc: Chicago, IL

Current High Scores in:
Asteroids
      #904878 - Thu Mar 01 2012 12:24 PM

RIP Davy

I never understood the Monkees. Were they a TV show or a real band? And was it obvious that they were copying the Beattles teeny-bopper fandom? I never "got" them. They kinda of freaked me out. Actually, a lot of TV in the 80's freaked me out....like it was all geared towards potheads.

--------------------
"Run" - Walter White

Kendall Storm
All Pro

Reged: Jun 13 2011

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: Punchsmack]
      #904898 - Thu Mar 01 2012 01:10 PM

Screen Gems tried to capture the success of the Beatles movie success with the Monkees.
The Monkees were good for that time period.Right place right time.
but like Sid Vicious they could barely play.
Davy Jones didn't need the Monkees to be successful.
But the rest of the Monkees needed him.
Just a fun band that when the 60's ended became irrelevant.
The Monkees were made for TV but not big arenas or stadiums

DCDAWGFAN
Legend

#904899 - Thu Mar 01 2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Actually, a lot of TV in the 80's freaked me out....like it was all geared towards potheads.

The television show was only filmed from 1965-68.. everything after that was re-runs.. which would explain the second part of your comment.

It always bugged me that they spelled Monkeys wrong.

--------------------
"Success is not owned, it's leased and the rent is due every day." JJ Watt

no_logo_required
Legend

Reged: Oct 11 2006

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: DCDAWGFAN]
      #904929 - Thu Mar 01 2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

It always bugged me that they spelled Monkeys wrong.

always thought it was nice they were willing to admit they were doing a parody of the Beatles that way (and not beetles)

--------------------
"Thereís a phrase for almost losing, itís called winning."
-Coach Pettine

shotty66
Hall of Famer

Loc: Las Vegas

Current High Scores in:
Cat-a-Pult
      #905008 - Thu Mar 01 2012 04:29 PM

Used to watch them when I was a child, they were in between HR Puff & Stuff and The Banana Splits If I remember? on Saturday. R.I.P Davy.

--------------------

shotty66
Hall of Famer

Loc: Las Vegas

Current High Scores in:
Cat-a-Pult
      #905015 - Thu Mar 01 2012 04:33 PM

So they took the last train to Clarksville, does that make them pot head's?

--------------------

jfanent
Hall of Famer

Loc: Oregon, Ohio

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: Kendall Storm]
      #905018 - Thu Mar 01 2012 04:39 PM

Jimi Hendrix opened for The Monkees at the University of Toledo Fieldhouse in '68. Can you imagine the reaction from parents taking the kids on a family outing?

--------------------
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behavior does.

Punchsmack
Hall of Famer

Current High Scores in:
Asteroids
Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: shotty66]
      #905019 - Thu Mar 01 2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Used to watch them when I was a child, they were in between HR Puff & Stuff and The Banana Splits If I remember? on Saturday. R.I.P Davy.

Yeah....that grouping of shows. Messed up! And I meant to say the "70's" in my previous post. So it had to be reruns then.

The Monkees were an American pop rock group. Assembled in Los Angeles in 1966 by Robert "Bob" Rafelson and Bert Schneider for the American television series The Monkees, which aired from 1966 to 1968, the musical acting quartet was composed of Americans Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, and Peter Tork, and Englishman Davy Jones. The band's music was initially supervised by producer Don Kirshner.

At the time of the group's formation, its producers saw The Monkees as a Beatles-like band. At the start, the four actors provided vocals for the songs that were played during the television episodes and released as records, but were otherwise given extremely limited performing and production opportunities. They eventually fought for and earned the right to collectively supervise all musical output under the band's name. The group undertook several concert tours, allowing an opportunity to perform as a live band as well as on the TV series. Although the show was canceled in 1968, the band continued to record music through 1970. The group reached the height of fame from 1966 to 1968, and influenced many future artists. In 1986, their 20th year, the television show and music experienced a revival, which led to a series of reunion tours, and new records featuring various incarnations of the band's lineup.

The Monkees had a number of international hits which are still heard on pop and oldies stations. These include "(Theme From) The Monkees", "Last Train to Clarksville", "I'm a Believer", "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone", "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and "Daydream Believer". Their albums and singles have sold over 65 million copies worldwide.

LINK

I remember the revival in 86....annoyed me because my sisters were into it. I always thought they were a contrived show prior to being a successful band (doesn't necessarily mean they weren't a true "band" with talents - they had to have talent to stick for as long as they did).

--------------------
"Run" - Walter White

Punchsmack
Hall of Famer

Current High Scores in:
Asteroids
Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: shotty66]
      #905021 - Thu Mar 01 2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

If you're on the train that leaves the station at 4:20....then yes.

--------------------
"Run" - Walter White

Tulsa
Hall of Famer

#905071 - Thu Mar 01 2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A day dream believer and a homecoming queen were on that train.

Damanshot
Legend

Loc: Aurora, Ohio

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: Tulsa]
      #905076 - Thu Mar 01 2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A day dream believer and a homecoming queen were on that train.

were either of them named valarie?

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving isn't for you

Tulsa
Hall of Famer

Re: Monkees Davy Jones dead at 66 [Re: Damanshot]
      #905077 - Thu Mar 01 2012 07:39 PM

Not sure but Jean was sadly asleep at the time.

Pages: 1

Dawg Talkers Message Boards >> Everything Else...

Extra information
1 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 1199

Jump to

Contact Us dawgtalkers.net