NFL on ESPN.com
NFL on CBS
NFL on FOX
SportsIllustrated.com
Cleveland PlainDealer
Canton Repository
Akron BeaconJournal
DawgTalkers Pick'ems

Dawg Talkers Message Boards >> Everything Else...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Damanshot
Legend

Reged: Sep 11 2006
Loc: Aurora, Ohio

possible shooting at Chardon School
      #903332 - Mon Feb 27 2012 08:17 AM

http://www.woio.com/story/17024182/breaking-chardon

Quote:

Email
Share|Print

Text Size
BREAKING NEWS
BREAKING: Shooting at Chardon High School, gunman on the loose
Posted: Feb 27, 2012 7:44 AM EST
Updated: Feb 27, 2012 8:14 AM EST

CHARDON, OH (WOIO) - Breaking news out of Chardon this hour.

Chardon Fire has confirmed they were called to the high school for a shooting. The Fire dispatcher said students are possibly injured. Metro LifeFlight has been called to the school.

The gunman remains on the loose.

Chardon High School is now on lock down.

The Superintendent immediately canceled classes at all Chardon Schools. Students still on school buses were being dropped back off at their homes, and parents are being called to pick up students already at school.

19 Action News has a crew on the way.

Check back for details.

Copyright 2012 WOIO. All rights reserved

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving isn't for you

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator            Share: Post to facebook   Digg this   Post to del.icio.us
Damanshot
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Damanshot]
      #903335 - Mon Feb 27 2012 08:26 AM

More in the way of unconfirmed reports that something happened

Quote:

We have reports of a gunman at Chardon High School; police are on the scene and still searching for the gunman. We have unconfirmed reports of three or four students shot; some students are barricaded in the school's cafeteria.

More details as they become available

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/232710/...ws%7Cbc%7Clarge

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator            Share: Post to facebook   Digg this   Post to del.icio.us
brownsfan2119
Hall of Famer

#903336 - Mon Feb 27 2012 08:27 AM

On the police scanner they said they have 4 confirmed victims at this time, 3 critical, 1 stable.

--------------------
Eat it Phil...

AsianDawg
All Pro

Reged: May 19 2008
Loc: Willow Grove, Ohio, USA

#903337 - Mon Feb 27 2012 08:28 AM

I used to work for a newspaper 3 blocks away from the school. I am not there any more, but I will get more information to you if I can.

Prayers for all involved.

It was a good school. My best friend went there; I went to WG but knew people from both schools. Ammo probably (if he is still here) knows them as well.

IT's a very tight area in terms of pop. density, so if you've been there, you'll know what I mean. The residents of the area are urged to lock up ASAP as the gunman is on the loose. Houses close together like in Mayfield.

--------------------
Go Browns!

brownsfan2119
Hall of Famer

#903341 - Mon Feb 27 2012 08:39 AM

via the police scanner, suspect in custody.

--------------------
Eat it Phil...

Damanshot
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: brownsfan2119]
      #903342 - Mon Feb 27 2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

via the police scanner, suspect in custody.

WKYC is reporting that two suspects are in custody

Quote:

We have reports of a gunman at Chardon High School; police are on the scene . We have unconfirmed reports of three or four students shot; some students are barricaded in the school's cafeteria.

Reports say that police have contained both shooters.

More details as they become available.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/232710/396/Report-of-shooting-at-Chardon-High-School

--------------------

brownsfansince79
Legend

#903350 - Mon Feb 27 2012 08:55 AM

Wow, hopefully those kids are ok.

I know a guy who is retired FBI. He pulled his kids out of a local high school a few years ago because that school system didn't have a very good evacuation plan in case of something like this.

Talking to him, he said the best thing to advise people to do is get the heck out. A lot of people want to lock themselves in classrooms, but he said if you have the opportunity to escape, you do it. Makes sense, but he said it was surprising how many plans are "lock the door and hope for the best" in essence.

--------------------
"The crowd, having been promised nothing, felt cheated, having received nothing." Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

"I watch in case we don't lose." DawgMichelle

Edited by brownsfansince79 (Mon Feb 27 2012 08:57 AM)

YTownBrownsFan
Legend

Loc: YTown, Ohio

#903353 - Mon Feb 27 2012 08:58 AM

Dear God. What makes people feel that going into a school and shooting kids (or anyone else, for that matter) is acceptable?

My prayers go out to all of the people that these animals terrorized and hurt.

--------------------
Welcome to the Browns Coach Pettine.

Hope you survive the experience.

"Danger is real, but fear is a choice." Cavaliers Coach David Blatt, from his son

brownsfansince79
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: YTownBrownsFan]
      #903362 - Mon Feb 27 2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Dear God. What makes people feel that going into a school and shooting kids (or anyone else, for that matter) is acceptable?

My prayers go out to all of the people that these animals terrorized and hurt.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bully issue. I know how painful being bullied can be. But, never in a million years is this the type of response that's acceptable. I can't imagine ever feeling so low that I think that the only way to solve it is to start shooting people.

--------------------
"The crowd, having been promised nothing, felt cheated, having received nothing." Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

1oldMutt
Hall of Famer

Reged: Apr 28 2007
Loc: Cuyahoga Falls OH

#903386 - Mon Feb 27 2012 10:07 AM

I always told my kids to heck with lockdown! Get out! Window, door, whatever!

A darn shame the bad guys have so much power.

FreeAgent
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 12 2006

Current High Scores in:
Frogger
Pac-Man
      #903388 - Mon Feb 27 2012 10:10 AM

Grew up around that area, was born in Chardon and lived in Burton most of my childhood. I hope all the victims make it. It's a great quiet neighborhood you would of never have thought something like this would happen there, but they probably said the same thing about Columbine.

--------------------

Browns Lifer
Hall of Famer

Reged: Jan 16 2007
Loc: Medina, OH

#903409 - Mon Feb 27 2012 10:41 AM

Thoughts and prayers going out to the victims and their families. As a parent, I can't imagine what they must be going through right now.

--------------------
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain

archbolddawg
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Browns Lifer]
      #903425 - Mon Feb 27 2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Thoughts and prayers going out to the victims and their families. As a parent, I can't imagine what they must be going through right now.

I agree - but I'd add my thoughts and prayers to the parent/s of the kid that did it as well.

AsianDawg
All Pro

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: FreeAgent]
      #903427 - Mon Feb 27 2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Grew up around that area, was born in Chardon and lived in Burton most of my childhood. I hope all the victims make it. It's a great quiet neighborhood you would of never have thought something like this would happen there, but they probably said the same thing about Columbine.

my best friend's father supposedly chased the shooter away. It is sad, because up to this point it had truly been seen as a safe place on earth, a piece of heaven. Our family moved to Geauga in 1990-this is not good news. the prayers should also be for the survivors--they have PTSD to deal with now because of this. The shooting happened in the cafeteria, and eventually they will have to go back to school and sit in that same place for the rest of the year before 1st period. My heart goes out to them.

I'm hoping some good can come of this--even if rival schools (Riverside, West G, the entire PAC) banded together to help them. That is what it should be about.

--------------------
Go Browns!

northlima dawg
All Pro

Reged: Mar 02 2007

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: AsianDawg]
      #903473 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:12 PM

CNN reporting one has died.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/02/27/shooting-reported-at-ohio-high-school/?hpt=hp_t1

YTownBrownsFan
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: northlima dawg]
      #903476 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:16 PM

Man that's incredibly sad.

If there's one place you would expect that your kids would be safe, it's school.

My prayers go out to that child's parents and family.

--------------------

"Danger is real, but fear is a choice." Cavaliers Coach David Blatt, from his son

northlima dawg
All Pro

#903485 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:24 PM

I am at work and some of the sites are blocked;
however, on twitter they have already named the suspect from a witness at the scene and provided a link to his facebook page.

They also say that this kid posted on his twitter account last night that he was going to shoot up the school today

DCDAWGFAN
Legend

#903486 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Man that's incredibly sad.

If there's one place you would expect that your kids would be safe, it's school.

My prayers go out to that child's parents and family.

I always assumed the worst that would happen to my kids at school is a bloody nose or a broken heart.. nothing like this.

--------------------
"Success is not owned, it's leased and the rent is due every day." JJ Watt

northlima dawg
All Pro

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: DCDAWGFAN]
      #903489 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:32 PM

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2012/02/chardon_student_identifies_sho.html

BREAKING: Students hurt in shooting at Chardon High...

Chardon student identifies shooter in spree that killed one student
Published: Monday, February 27, 2012, 12:17 PM Updated: Monday, February 27, 2012, 12:20 PM
By Laura Johnston, The Plain Dealer The Plain Dealer

The Plain DealerNate Mueller talks outside Chardon High School.

CHARDON, Ohio -- A Chardon High School student died today after a shooting spree that left four others injured, police said.

High school Junior Nate Mueller, who was hit in the right ear, identified the shooter as T.J. Lane.

Mueller said he and his friends, including Russell King, Nick Walczak and Demetrius Hewlin, were sitting at their regular cafeteria table when T.J. approached about 7:30 a.m.

Nate said he heard a gunshot behind him. He turned and felt a sting on his ear.

"My friends were crawling on the floor, and one of my friends was bent over the table, and he was shot," Nate said. "It was almost like a firecracker went off. I turned around and saw him (T.J.) standing with a gun and I saw him take a shot."

Nate, who has a scratch on his upper right ear, said he ran out of the building, hid behind a car and called 911.

Nate said his group was friends with T.J. through middle school, but in high school, T.J. went separate way.

Russell, he said, had recently started dating T.J.'s ex-girlfriend, who is homeschooled.

"He was silent the whole time," said Nate, who was waiting for a bus to his culinary arts classes at Auburn Career Center. "That's what made it so random."

T.J., he said, normally waits for a bus that goes to Lake Academy, a school in Willoughby, which serves at-risk students.

Police have confirmed that there are five victims, and that the shooter is in custody.

A 17-year-old-boy and 18-year-old girl are in stable condition at Hillcrest Hospital, a spokeswoman said.

Edited by northlima dawg (Mon Feb 27 2012 12:36 PM)

PrplPplEater
Legend

Reged: Sep 10 2006
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

#903493 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:41 PM

This is so incredibly sad

--------------------
-Chris

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

YTownBrownsFan
Legend

#903497 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:52 PM

What has to (sorry, not intentional) go through your head when you are shot in the ear? Man ...... an inch over and you're dead. (or severely damaged)

--------------------

brownsfansince79
Legend

#903499 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:56 PM

Yeah, while there are different degrees, everyone involved, even the kids who weren't right there, are victims.

--------------------

YTownBrownsFan
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: brownsfansince79]
      #903505 - Mon Feb 27 2012 01:00 PM

Definitely. They all have to be thinking that it could have been them.

Kids like to think that they are indestructible, so a horrible situation like this can really shake their whole world.

There are going to be a lot of really busy counselors.

--------------------

AsianDawg
All Pro

#903529 - Mon Feb 27 2012 01:23 PM

my father will be very busy this week. My prayers go out to all.

1 dead, but the other 4 will probably survive. That's good news.

The big issue is the PTSD they will have to deal with for the rest of their lives.

God bless them all!

--------------------
Go Browns!

FloridaFan
Legend

#903531 - Mon Feb 27 2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Russell, he said, had recently started dating T.J.'s ex-girlfriend, who is homeschooled.

Was this a lover's vengence thing maybe?

--------------------
Growing Old Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional.

brownsfansince79
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: FloridaFan]
      #903532 - Mon Feb 27 2012 01:25 PM

That's the way it seems to me, at least with the facts we have now.

If that's true, wow. I remember having my crushes in high school and having my heart broken by girls, but, again, never to the point that I thought this would be the way to solve it.

--------------------

brownsfansince79
Legend

#903636 - Mon Feb 27 2012 03:40 PM

Well, maybe not a girlfriend issue?

link

CHARDON, Ohio -- MetroHealth Medical Center has named the Chardon High School student who died after this morning's school shooting.

Daniel Parmertor, 16, was one of three students flown to the hospital after the 7:30 a.m. shooting.

"We are shocked by this senseless tragedy," his parents said in a prepared statement. "Danny was a bright young boy who had a bright future ahead of him. The family is torn by this loss."

--------------------

IRE 45
Hall of Famer

Reged: Sep 13 2006

#903665 - Mon Feb 27 2012 04:16 PM

Can't help but think about how an ordinary Monday turns into the worst day in the lives of the parents of this 16 year old boy . Damn . What a senseless waste .

PrplPplEater
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: IRE 45]
      #903677 - Mon Feb 27 2012 04:52 PM

No kidding. You go from thinking about what to make for dinner that night to thinking about what to say in a statement to the papers on the murder of your child

My heart goes out to them, this is horrible.

--------------------
-Chris

Damanshot
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: PrplPplEater]
      #903711 - Mon Feb 27 2012 06:25 PM

I guess we should change the title of this thread to Shooting at Chardon School...

I'm so sad about this. I mean, what problem in the name of all that is holy will shooting at and/or killing classmates solve.

I guess one or two of the teachers faced fire head on and managed to chase the shooter out of the building.. pretty damn scary

--------------------

Spergon FTWynn
Legend

Loc: 16 spots ahead of Tom Brady

#903725 - Mon Feb 27 2012 07:14 PM

reports coming out that a second kid has died.

What a nightmare.

--------------------

@dpaoloni

RocketOptimist
Dawg Talker

Reged: Jun 25 2010
Loc: Toledo, Ohio

#903734 - Mon Feb 27 2012 07:25 PM

This has been on my mind all day. It's put a damper on how I went about my business today.

My thoughts and prayers go to all involved in this horrific event.

Not many more words can express how I feel. It's...despicable such a thing can happen.

brownsfansince79
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: RocketOptimist]
      #903751 - Mon Feb 27 2012 08:06 PM

It truly is absolutely heartbreaking. For everyone, the victims, the shooter, the parents, the other students, everyone.

--------------------

bigdatut
Dawg Talker

Reged: Jan 02 2007
Loc: Hartford, Ohio

#903767 - Mon Feb 27 2012 09:26 PM

I feel nothing for the shooter - but I pray for all those involved from the victims to those just going about their day at school, for the parents, for those that actually do care about the shooter and the community as a whole.

--------------------
"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS

Damanshot
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Spergon FTWynn]
      #903770 - Mon Feb 27 2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

reports coming out that a second kid has died.

What a nightmare.

I've been watching for that but haven't seen that report yet. Channel 3, WKYC is having a special at 10 pm this evening all about this,,maybe they'll say something then,., But, as of now, only one confirmed dead.. and frankly, that's one to many..

--------------------

brownsfansince79
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: bigdatut]
      #903775 - Mon Feb 27 2012 09:47 PM

I certainly don't condone or accept what the shooter did, not in the least. I guess I'm just wondering what happened to drive him to such a dark place. Like I said, I can't imagine ever getting to the point where you think this is the only option available.

And, I feel for his parents, too. They lost a child today, too.

Just so sad all around.

--------------------

Kingcob
Dawg Talker

Reged: Sep 14 2006

Current High Scores in:
YetiSports - Pingu Throw
      #903778 - Mon Feb 27 2012 09:57 PM

To my knowledge every school shooter has been on SSRI anti-depressants. An unfortunate side effect for a small portion of people can be a rapid worsening of symptoms with psychotic breaks.

My guess is the shooter is a bullying victim who went on SSRIs and had a rare but terribly bad reaction to them.

captainphil
Dawg Talker

Loc: Nashville

#903806 - Mon Feb 27 2012 11:49 PM

I grew up about a mile from the school district line and certainly have friends from chardon... nothing to say, except that this is truly a tragedy.

--------------------

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR

Flap
Dawg Talker

Reged: Sep 21 2006
Loc: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: captainphil]
      #903836 - Tue Feb 28 2012 07:15 AM

web page

Second student, Russell King Jr., dies after shooting rampage at Chardon High School

By: Mike Waterhouse, newsnet5.com
CHARDON, Ohio - A second student has died after a shooting rampage at Chardon High School that ended with five shot and one under arrest.

The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office said 17-year-old Russell King Jr. died at MetroHealth Medical Center. Information about his death was released early Tuesday morning.
King was taken to MetroHealth Medical Center, along with 16-year-old Daniel Parmertor, who was the first to die. One other shooting victim was taken to the same hospital and last reported to be in critical condition.

Two other victims taken to Hillcrest Hospital were a 17-year-old boy, who is in serious condition, and an 18-year-old girl, who is in stable condition, a hospital representative said Monday afternoon.
Police said the gunman who opened up fire in the school early Monday turned himself in after a teacher apparently chased him out of the building.

Sources close to the investigation identified the suspect as 17-year-old TJ Lane.
"Russell didn't move at all because I don't think he really knew," said Nate Mueller, who was at a cafeteria table with three of the victims. "That shot I saw TJ take as I turned around had hit Russell and he was over the table in like a puddle of blood."

"I heard three (shots). The initial one that made me look, the one that I believe hit either Russell or Demitrius and then the third one that hit me," said Mueller, whose ear was grazed by a bullet.
No other names have been released.

Keep checking newsnet5.com for more information.

Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

--------------------
Crowded elevators smell different to short people...

Damanshot
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Flap]
      #903840 - Tue Feb 28 2012 07:23 AM

I watched the channel 3 special on this last night.. saw that a second kid died..

What caused this kid to go off line like that?

--------------------

IRE 45
Hall of Famer

#903855 - Tue Feb 28 2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

What caused this kid to go off line like that?

Ritalin, didn't get enough attention, people were mean to him,video games, movies...take you pick . Execute the little . . I could care less what his reasons were because the bottom line is this deviant killed 2 innocent kids in a cold calculated manner and there is no redemption for this monster .

FreeAgent
Hall of Famer

Current High Scores in:
Frogger
Pac-Man
      #903866 - Tue Feb 28 2012 08:54 AM

I think it had something to do with the girlfriend. The second kid that died (Rusel King Jr.) was dating the killers ex. People have been throwing around "Bullying" retaliation which is a possibility. Maybe Russel and his friends went to the killer and told him to stay away from his girlfriend, or they jumped him because of talking to her. Who knows at this point but I'm sure we will find out at some point in time.

--------------------

Damanshot
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: FreeAgent]
      #903881 - Tue Feb 28 2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

I think it had something to do with the girlfriend. The second kid that died (Rusel King Jr.) was dating the killers ex. People have been throwing around "Bullying" retaliation which is a possibility. Maybe Russel and his friends went to the killer and told him to stay away from his girlfriend, or they jumped him because of talking to her. Who knows at this point but I'm sure we will find out at some point in time.

That kinda stuff happened when I was a kid also,,, but nobody pulled out a gun and shot anyone over it.. The worst thing that happened was someone got a black eye...

This is INSANE..

--------------------

ado16148
Practice Squad

Reged: Feb 20 2009
Loc: West Middlesex PA

#903883 - Tue Feb 28 2012 09:26 AM

I am with Ire. He took two innocent kids life. I have brother their age in h.s. If something like this happened to him I couldn't be sure how angry I would be, after the shock and sadness of it wore off. He deserves the death sentence. People saying oh he was bullied. Know what I was bullied pretty bad at times in school. I didn't go off and kill people. Suff like this makes me so angry.

brownsfansince79
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: ado16148]
      #903884 - Tue Feb 28 2012 09:29 AM

I think the death sentence won't even come into play. He'll make a "deal" and get something like life without a chance for parole. For all intents and purposes, his life is over either way.

--------------------

AsianDawg
All Pro

#903902 - Tue Feb 28 2012 09:49 AM

j/c

I hope the Browns, Cavs and Tribe can help this community out somehow. Cleveland sports are held in high regard, and it would help the community's healing.

--------------------
Go Browns!

Dave
Hall of Famer

Loc: Cleveland

#903903 - Tue Feb 28 2012 09:49 AM

J/C

Parents of teen accused of shootings faced charges

Monday, February 27, 2012
By Rachel Dissell, The Plain Dealer

CHARDON, Ohio -- It appears that T.J. Lane had violence in his life from the beginning.

Geauga County court records show the father of the teen who authorities say shot five students at Chardon High School on Monday had been arrested many times for violent crimes against women in his life, including Lane's mother. More than once, police or courts warned him to stay away from the boy and his mother.

Authorities said the teen walked into the high school cafeteria early Monday morning, took out a gun and aimed it at several boys. In the end, three students were seriously wounded and one was killed. A fifth student died early Tuesday. T.J. Lane is to appear in Geauga County Juvenile Court Tuesday.

Lawyer Bob Farinacci, who is representing TJ Lane, read a statement from the Lane family, according to WKYC Channel 3.

"The family wanted me to convey to the citizens of Geauga County and Northeastern Ohio that the family is devastated by this most recent event. They want to give their most heartfelt and sincere condolences to the family of the young man who passed and their continuing prayers are with all those who were injured. This is something that could never have been predicted. TJ's family has asked for some privacy while they try to understand how such a tragedy could have occurred and while they mourn this terrible loss for their community."

Fellow students said the 17-year-old was quiet. Some said he was sweet, while others said he had a simmering temper.

His Facebook page, now deleted, had one picture that showed him bare-chested, glaring down toward the camera. In another picture, dated 11 days ago, he is sitting on a bed peering out from behind a giant teddy bear with a heart that says, "Be Mine."

He listed his interests as anime and primitive hunting.

For his high school, he listed the Pink Floyd lyric, "We don't need no thought control."

T.J. Lane attended Lake Academy, an alternative school in Willoughby for students in Lake and Geauga counties. A woman who answered the phone at the school declined to comment Monday.

The teen had one prior case in Geauga County Juvenile court two years ago. Officials would not release information on the case. But several at the court said the family's troubles were known to social workers in the county.

The father, Thomas Lane Jr., was known to county authorities because of a series of arrests for abusing women in his life, court records show. It's not clear how much contact the father and son had.

But between 1995 and 1997, the boy's father and mother, Sara A. Nolan, were each charged with domestic violence against each other.

The father was later charged with assaulting a police officer and served time in prison after trying to suffocate another woman he married several years after his son was born, according to court records.

He held the woman's head under running water and bashed it into a wall, leaving a dent in the drywall, court records show.

But soon after he went to prison, the woman wrote a letter asking that he be released early.

She had divorced Thomas Lane but said in the letter that he was always a good father to their twin daughters and a son she had before they married.

Some youths who attended a vigil at a church on Chardon's square Monday evening said that the teen lived with his grandparents and had multiple step- and half-siblings. His grandmother declined to comment.

One young woman said he attended a church youth group several years ago while he was dating a girl. Many students said he was heartbroken when she broke up with him and later began dating one of the boys who was shot.

"He seemed like a nice boy," said Anna Mullet, who met T.J. when he attended the youth group meetings.

Anthony Gracco, a junior at Chardon High School, said he and T.J. Lane played basketball together after school several years ago. He said T.J. seemed happy when he was around him.

"I was shocked," he said. "I didn't think he would do something like this. He wasn't a violent kid. I'm sad about it."

http://www.cleveland.com/chardon-shooting/index.ssf/2012/02/parents_of_teen_accused_of_sho.html

Buckeyed11
Dawg Talker

Reged: Aug 09 2009
Loc: Kent, Ohio

#903934 - Tue Feb 28 2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

what caused him to go off like that?

could be a chemical imbalance. the fact that he was remorseful afterwards and scared makes me think he has a switch that goes on and off, just like bi polar people. i bet with this is said and done, he will be in a psychiatric facility

Flap
Dawg Talker

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Buckeyed11]
      #903942 - Tue Feb 28 2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

could be a chemical imbalance. the fact that he was remorseful afterwards and scared makes me think he has a switch that goes on and off, just like bi polar people. i bet with this is said and done, he will be in a psychiatric facility

Wouldn't that be more of a 'snap' though? This was premeditated. He announced it on twitter the night before for cripes sake.

--------------------

archbolddawg
Legend

#903961 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't that be more of a 'snap' though? This was premeditated. He announced it on twitter the night before for cripes sake.

Wouldn't really matter to me if it was a "snap", or pre-meditated. He took a gun and fired at 5 innocent people, killing 2 of them.

End of story.

It won't be long til we here "well, he had a bad upbringing......." Yeah? A lot of people have had bad upbringings - so what? He murdered.

Or, soon it will be "we need more gun control laws".... Let's count the laws he already broke: carried concealed without a license. Carried a gun in public while underage. Carried a gun into a no gun zone. Illegally brandished a weapon. Illegally fired a weapon. Attempted murder with a weapon. Murder.

I'm not an attorney - but that's 7 laws he broke right there, just off the top of my head.

2 murders (homicides), 3 attempted. He should never see the light of day again. Prison. Don't try to re-hab him. No mental hospital for him.

JMO at this point in time.

Buckeyed11
Dawg Talker

#903966 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ehhh, it's touchy. i have a cousin who is severely bi-polar and sometimes his "snap" lasts for days ... and 99% of the time he's a normal, likeable guy, like these kids are describing.

Flap
Dawg Talker

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: archbolddawg]
      #903967 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:21 AM

I agree with you 100%. And FWIW, the "broken home" crap has already started. here

My question was that if people are going to use the chemical imbalance theory, wouldn't it have to be a snap as opposed to a planned out homicide. More or less thinking out loud.

--------------------

Flap
Dawg Talker

#903969 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

ehhh, it's touchy. i have a cousin who is severely bi-polar and sometimes his "snap" lasts for days ... and 99% of the time he's a normal, likeable guy, like these kids are describing.

Ok, I honestly don't know much about that stuff. Thanks.

--------------------

brownsfansince79
Legend

#903972 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:25 AM

Anyone who brings up the "gun control" issue is off base. Having had 2 family members killed by guns, at no time did I think if we had stricter gun control, they'd be alive. Neither of them were killed with legal guns.

--------------------

archbolddawg
Legend

#903973 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Anyone who brings up the "gun control" issue is off base. Having had 2 family members killed by guns, at no time did I think if we had stricter gun control, they'd be alive. Neither of them were killed with legal guns.

I agree, but you know it'll happen.

Buckeyed11
Dawg Talker

#903977 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

I agree with you 100%. And FWIW, the "broken home" crap has already started. here

My question was that if people are going to use the chemical imbalance theory, wouldn't it have to be a snap as opposed to a planned out homicide. More or less thinking out loud.

the broken home theory is such utter BS, imo. i believe a crime like this is in someone's nature, not nurture. they are born w the chemical imbalance, they don't just develop it because mommy's a crackhead

brownsfansince79
Legend

#903978 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:33 AM

Oh yeah, people will argue the gun control thing. Doesn't change my mind, though.

As for the upbringing, I will say that it doesn't surprise me that, in general, people who commit heinous crimes like this usually come from bad homes. People who commit sexual crimes often were victims themselves. People who commit violent crimes often were brought up in violent homes.

Does that excuse it? Not one bit. I've known lots of people who grew up in bad homes who turned out pretty darn good. And, I think those people are the super-majority.

It's just that we usually only hear about the ones who grow up to do bad things. I guess what I'm saying is that I do think there's a connection between the two. It's not an excuse, not by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe it can be used to help explain at least a little.

--------------------

IRE 45
Hall of Famer

#903982 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

He took a gun and fired at 5 innocent people, killing 2 of them.

End of story.

Yup. I see no reason for keeping this person alive . Being in prison is still being alive and IMO that is more than he deserves .

Buckeyed11
Dawg Talker

#903983 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:35 AM

there was an article that his older brother was on drugs. maybe drugs are to blame? to quote rick james, cocaine is a heckuva drug

IRE 45
Hall of Famer

#903986 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

maybe drugs are to blame?

Maybe the shooter is to blame ?? I'm gonna go with that answer.

Damanshot
Legend

#903995 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I really don't know if this kids gun was considered legal. Certainly not for him to possess, but was it a gun that was registered to his father or mother.. Honestly I don't know the answer to that.

Point is, whether it was legally registered or not, the kid shouldn't have had it and shouldn't have shot the other kids.

Something is wrong with the boy...

--------------------

Buckeyed11
Dawg Talker

#903996 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

maybe drugs are to blame?

Maybe the shooter is to blame ?? I'm gonna go with that answer.

trust me, i've had a lot of experiences with druggies and bi polar people. any one of them could do this, but today, they are normal people. i feel your thinking is very old fashioned and short sighted.

in no means am i defending the kid, but we were having a discussion about what could have caused this. you took what i said out of context just to make your own point. i bet you feel good about that, but don't let anger and emotions make your decisions/assumptions for you like it did this child.

archbolddawg
Legend

#903999 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I really don't know if this kids gun was considered legal. Certainly not for him to possess, but was it a gun that was registered to his father or mother.. Honestly I don't know the answer to that.

Point is, whether it was legally registered or not, the kid shouldn't have had it and shouldn't have shot the other kids.

Something is wrong with the boy...

It doesn't matter one iota if the gun was legally registered or not. I have legally registered guns. I can NOT take them into a school. Period.

I have a concealed carry license. I can NOT take my legally registered guns into a school.

I can NOT pull out a gun in public for no reason. I would get charged with something.

I can NOT shoot at, let alone hit, innocent people. If I do, I would get charged with attempted murder, or murder. Period.

All of those are me, with permission from the state of Ohio to HAVE a gun, to CARRY a gun. (actually, for just having a gun, the permission comes from the constitution of the U.S.)

If the gun was illegal - that's just one more existing law the kid didn't follow.

Damanshot
Legend

#904010 - Tue Feb 28 2012 12:22 PM

You missed my point Arch..

What I was trying to say (and apparently, not very well) was that if someone thinks that guns are the problem,, they are wrong.., guns in the wrong hands are the problem.

Legal or otherwise, it's the user that makes it good or bad.

--------------------

northlima dawg
All Pro

#904016 - Tue Feb 28 2012 12:58 PM

j/c
I just think as a society we have so many problems
lack of family structure, drugs, guns, lack of respect for one self and others.

and the way that we treat each other-go to walmart to see the family structure of many in this country;
or online to Drudge, vindy.com, cleveland.com or many other sites. A topic is started and about 5 replies later it is name calling, berating, etc.

Look at politics-more of the same.

And many of the tv shows that have this kind of crazy berating behavior have cast members that become huge-look at Simon Cowell, Chef Ramsey, Jersey Shore, etc, etc, etc.

And then with the 24 hour news and social media-as soon as it happens its all over the place. The shooting happened at about 7:38 am yesterday and when I went to lunch at noon, within 15 minutes I saw a name on multiple websites of the suspected shooter and I believe 3 of the victims.

We just live in a crazy world and I don't know what the answer is.

Also, I heard on WTAM on the way home yesterday that a guest on the show thought that this kid would be tried as an adult but in Ohio he could not get the death penalty because he still is under 18.

IRE 45
Hall of Famer

#904021 - Tue Feb 28 2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

you took what i said out of context just to make your own point.

My point was I could care less what the reason he had was . The result of his action is 2 innocent children dead . Save your concern for the ones left behind , the ones who will never hold their children again to hell with this murderer and his "reasons".

DCDAWGFAN
Legend

#904022 - Tue Feb 28 2012 01:10 PM

What the kid did is heinous and he should be punished to the full extent of the law... but some folks on here are being awfully flippant on the impact that years of bullying, especially parental bullying, can have on a kid...

--------------------

PrplPplEater
Legend

#904025 - Tue Feb 28 2012 01:17 PM

Third student has passed away

http://news.yahoo.com/gunman-kills-one-injures-four-ohio-020427879.html

Another student in Ohio school shooting dies

CHARDON, Ohio (Reuters) - Hospital officials in Cleveland said on Tuesday that another student shot on Monday at Chardon High School has died.

In a statement, a spokesman for MetroHealth Medical Center said Demetrius Hewlin died of his wounds on Tuesday morning.

"We are very saddened by the loss of our son and others in our Chardon community," Hewlin's family said in the statement the hospital released.

"Demetrius was a happy young man who loved life and his family and friends. We will miss him very much but we are proud that he will be able to help others through organ donation. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time."

(Reporting by James Kelleher; editing by Dan Burns)

--------------------
-Chris

Damanshot
Legend

Re: Third student dies in Chardon School Shootings [Re: DCDAWGFAN]
      #904026 - Tue Feb 28 2012 01:18 PM

Just click,, Apparently, a third student died from this

http://www.cleveland.com/chardon-shooting/index.ssf/2012/02/third_student_dies_after_shoot.html

Quote:

CHARDON, Ohio -- A third Chardon High School student who was shot Monday morning has died.

Demetrius Hewlin, a junior, died today at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland.

"We are very saddened by the loss of our son and others in our Chardon community," his family said in a statement released by the hospital. "Demetrius was a happy young man who loved life and his family and friends. We will miss him very much but we are proud that he will be able to help others through organ donation. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time."

Demetrius was one of three students taken by helicopter to MetroHealth following the shooting. Russell King Jr., 17, was pronounced brain dead late Monday and died early this morning. Daniel Parmertor, 16, died Monday.

The suspect, T.J. Lane, is in custody and will appear at a 3:30 p.m. detention hearing in Geauga County Juvenile Court. Witnesses said Lane walked up to a table in the cafeteria and began firing about 7:30 a.m. Monday

--------------------

Edited by Damanshot (Tue Feb 28 2012 01:21 PM)

brownsfansince79
Legend

Re: Third student dies in Chardon School Shootings [Re: Damanshot]
      #904030 - Tue Feb 28 2012 01:23 PM

Just when you think this situation can't get worse. Just heartbreaking.

I know I want to know a reason why this kid did it. It won't bring these kids back. It won't make anyone feel any better. But, I think I, like a lot of people, want to know that there was something driving this, something that maybe can be avoided in the future.

--------------------

Damanshot
Legend

Re: Third student dies in Chardon School Shootings [Re: brownsfansince79]
      #904031 - Tue Feb 28 2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Just when you think this situation can't get worse. Just heartbreaking.

I know I want to know a reason why this kid did it. It won't bring these kids back. It won't make anyone feel any better. But, I think I, like a lot of people, want to know that there was something driving this, something that maybe can be avoided in the future.

I understand your thinking..

--------------------

brownsfansince79
Legend

Re: Third student dies in Chardon School Shootings [Re: Damanshot]
      #904033 - Tue Feb 28 2012 01:30 PM

I remember seeing something about why people are so gung ho about a conspiracy to kill JFK. One rationale is that it's hard to believe that one person can take down someone so powerful, so therefore, you want it to be a big conspiracy.

In this case, you want there to be a reason, if only so you can say "oh, ok, that's why it happened." If it's just something random, it just makes it scarier, IMO.

--------------------

Browns Lifer
Hall of Famer

Reged: Jan 16 2007
Loc: Medina, OH

#904036 - Tue Feb 28 2012 01:36 PM

--------------------
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

-- Mark Twain

bigdatut
Dawg Talker

Reged: Jan 02 2007
Loc: Hartford, Ohio

#904042 - Tue Feb 28 2012 01:51 PM

I don't want this to come across as dismissive of the intitial events from yesterday and the young man who died yesterday - but I think what makes this worse and worse is that kids are still passing away from it.

Not that it makes it easier but if three kids die tragically at one time, I think it may be easier to process than 1 kid dies, then some time overnight another kid dies, then the next afternoon another kid dies. Just when you think the worst may be over - it gets worse.

I pray this is the end and I pray for those 3 who's lives were stolen for absolutely no reason.

Just awful.

--------------------
"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS

SaintDawg
Hall of Famer

Loc: Columbus, Ohio

#904044 - Tue Feb 28 2012 02:00 PM

This is terrible to be going from a normal monday to making plans to bury your kid. My sympathies to the families.

Not that this is the case here but If I were a public speaker in in the high schools, I would tell the kids if you think bullying another kid in school is cool and a fun thing to do.. you do so at your own peril. If you are doing this.. stop immediately and leave the picked on kid alone. The life you save may be your own.

--------------------
SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye.

Kendall Storm
All Pro

Reged: Jun 13 2011

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Browns Lifer]
      #904049 - Tue Feb 28 2012 02:13 PM

reading about this T.J Lane's likes and etc,this whole situation is shocking and not shocking at the same time.
Its evident in his lifetime, love and guidance were foriegn concepts. if its not passed on to him,then how can he pass it on others?
they said his intrests were anime and primitive hunting and he went "goth"
Most kids that are into anime are so out of touch with the real world.
Those anime characters are their closest friends and companions.
the problem is,anime is a fantasy world of comics and characters that are so "out there". Theres no love or guidance around when all you do is get lost in Jap anime.
its so far removed from the comics we know from Marvel and DC.
My best friends son,is a bit similar to this kid in likes and intrests.
socially awkward...small circle of friends, dresses in black clothing...goes to these anime conventions in Baltimore.
I tried to get him to go out for football at Berkshire.....nope.no intrest.
he comes from a broken home...dad lives in Broadview and mom lives in Geauga.
spends countless hours by himself playing Xbox in a dark room.
with all this said,this T.J Lane has scarred a whole community and put a dagger in the families whos kids were gunned down.
I think he deserves the death penalty.
he's a cold person who is incapable if giving anything back to the world..but he sure has taken.

RocketOptimist
Dawg Talker

Reged: Jun 25 2010
Loc: Toledo, Ohio

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Kendall Storm]
      #904054 - Tue Feb 28 2012 02:25 PM

I'd wager your generalizations against those who are into anime and manga are nothing but negative stereotypes. Although, that's a different thread for a different discussion. I can guarantee you that manga and anime didn't cause the deaths of 3 children.

Why do we always ignore the home life? It's obvious he had a troubled childhood in a broken home. I know a few already brought it up but I'm certain the home life plays a bigger part in these type of situations.

PeteyDangerous
Hall of Famer

Reged: Jan 17 2007

#904055 - Tue Feb 28 2012 02:26 PM

I think he's a sad, lonely, upset kid.

And I'm willing to bet that right now he regrets what he did. Not just because of the consequences he brought unto himself (jail), but also the consequences his actions brought to other people and their families.

Does it excuse what he did? No.

He should spend the rest of his life in prison.

I'd like to know the whole story of the situation though. He targeted these kids. Why these ones? There's gotta be something behind it to make him go after these ones, yet not attack anyone else (like the teacher chasing after him)

And this in no means excuses what he did, just my feelings on it. A young upset and angry kid, acting on impulse, and probably now waking up to the actual consequences of his actions.

--------------------
UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball

PrplPplEater
Legend

#904063 - Tue Feb 28 2012 02:57 PM

I agree, it's just like a nightmare that you can't wake up from... the bad just keeps coming.

The two remaining will almost certainly suffer some degree of survivor's guilt, too... this is just beginning for them

--------------------
-Chris

DCDAWGFAN
Legend

#904065 - Tue Feb 28 2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

I can guarantee you that manga and anime didn't cause the deaths of 3 children.

He didn't say those things caused it. He said those things are sympematic of kids who are sort of detached from society and loners who find their best friends in a virtual world... If you would like to dispute that be my guest but he didn't say anime caused anything.

Quote:

Why do we always ignore the home life?

Nobody is exactly ignoring it.. a host of people have already chimed in and said they didn't want to hear anything about his crappy violent homelife because that's no excuse...

--------------------

Kendall Storm
All Pro

Reged: Jun 13 2011

#904068 - Tue Feb 28 2012 03:06 PM

reread my post.I did bring up his lack of a proper upbring where he wasn't shown love and nuturing.
all this anime does draw him away from the actual world we live in.
The more you live in a fantasy world,the less time you can function normally in the real world.

Damanshot
Legend

#904088 - Tue Feb 28 2012 03:38 PM

Just clicking,, if anyone is interested, they are about to show a court room appearance live with this shooter..

http://www.cleveland.com/chardon-shooting/index.ssf/2012/02/chardon_high_school_shooting_w.html

--------------------

brownsfansince79
Legend

#904091 - Tue Feb 28 2012 03:44 PM

Pretty sure I don't feel the need to watch a scared kid who knows his life is over.

--------------------

Damanshot
Legend

#904101 - Tue Feb 28 2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Pretty sure I don't feel the need to watch a scared kid who knows his life is over.

They won't allow the cameras to show the kid, his family or thier attorney. It's kinda over already...

--------------------

Squires
Dawg Talker

Reged: Nov 01 2006

#904103 - Tue Feb 28 2012 04:14 PM

jc

Is this the first time they've caught a school shooter alive? I seem to recall the shooter always committing suicide.

--------------------
It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!

IRE 45
Hall of Famer

#904104 - Tue Feb 28 2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

I know what you are trying to say but this kids life isn't over . He will still experience joy and happiness maybe even love although it will be different from what he could have experienced otherwise. The 3 kids he murdered ? Now those lives are over .

IRE 45
Hall of Famer

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Squires]
      #904105 - Tue Feb 28 2012 04:18 PM

Naa the kids from Arkansas were caught alive.

PDR
Legend

#904153 - Tue Feb 28 2012 06:26 PM

j/c

I was just reading up on the incident, and CBSNews has all sorts of screenshots of the deceased kids' Facebook and MySpace pages ... does this bother anyone else?

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, but ... how about a little respect and privacy for the grieving families? Some of them have implicitly asked for it.

--------------------

Spergon FTWynn
Legend

Loc: 16 spots ahead of Tom Brady

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: PDR]
      #904160 - Tue Feb 28 2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

j/c

I was just reading up on the incident, and CBSNews has all sorts of screenshots of the deceased kids' Facebook and MySpace pages ... does this bother anyone else?

I don't think it's the worst thing in the world, but ... how about a little respect and privacy for the grieving families? Some of them have implicitly asked for it.

Yeah probably, but maybe it can be used to help prevent this from happening somewhere else. I guess I can see both sides of it. I wish parents would pay more attention to their kids. It sounds like this kid's parents were pretty crappy.

--------------------

@dpaoloni

PrplPplEater
Legend

#904166 - Tue Feb 28 2012 06:54 PM

I think that sort of thing is absolutely classless and tasteless.

I long for the days where a sense of decency was the norm and not something that would surprise you.

--------------------
-Chris

YTownBrownsFan
Legend

#904189 - Tue Feb 28 2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

I think that sort of thing is absolutely classless and tasteless.

I long for the days where a sense of decency was the norm and not something that would surprise you.

Ditto, 1,000,000%.

This is an important news story, but I sometimes think that members of the news media forget that people died when they report like that. The news media has a right to get the story, and a responsibility to report it ...... but they should do so in a respectful manner that will not hurt the victims' families and friends. This is not a story that needs every stone overturned in search of a scoop. It is a tragedy, and should be treated in such a manner.

--------------------

brownsfansince79
Legend

#904209 - Tue Feb 28 2012 07:53 PM

While I agree totally with you, my question is, why should the media be respectful and tasteful? I can only imagine how many thousands of hits those sites are getting. I saw a news story that said there's surveillance footage of the kid shooting the other kids. As far as I know, it hasn't been released yet.

But, you know as soon as it's released, millions of people will watch it.

If people demanded the media be more respectful and tasteful, the media would be. But, a vast majority of people complain about the media but still look at all that crap.

--------------------

PDR
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Spergon FTWynn]
      #904224 - Tue Feb 28 2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah probably, but maybe it can be used to help prevent this from happening somewhere else.

I don't see how displaying a dead kid's Facebook page would provide any insight into prevention.

Quote:

I wish parents would pay more attention to their kids. It sounds like this kid's parents were pretty crappy.

I'll preface by saying this, because this is always a touchy subject:

The kid who pulled the trigger is the one responsible. Period.

But with that said ... I remember back when Columbine happened and people decided to blame Marilyn Manson (whose music I can't stand but who I think is a very bright guy), he was asked what he would say to the Columbine kids if he could talk to them, and he said 'I wouldn't say a single word to them. I would listen to what they have to say, and that's what no one did.'

I think there's a lot of truth to that, on several different levels.

--------------------

Damanshot
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: Squires]
      #904239 - Tue Feb 28 2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

jc

Is this the first time they've caught a school shooter alive? I seem to recall the shooter always committing suicide.

didn't the kid in Kentucky in the late 90's live.. Maybe not.. Not sure.. You may be right

--------------------

Damanshot
Legend

#904248 - Tue Feb 28 2012 09:03 PM

I guess I'm wrong.. this kid in chardon isn't the only one to surive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_High_School_shooting

--------------------

brownsfansince79
Legend

Chardon shooter chose victims randomly... [Re: Damanshot]
      #904257 - Tue Feb 28 2012 09:41 PM

link

Apparently, had nothing to do with bullying or drugs. Targets were picked out randomly. Pretty obvious the kid had some pretty serious mental problems.

I've gotta think that if he hadn't been chased out by that football coach, he might have hurt a lot more people.

--------------------

Edited by brownsfansince79 (Tue Feb 28 2012 09:42 PM)

PrplPplEater
Legend

#904259 - Tue Feb 28 2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

While I agree totally with you, my question is, why should the media be respectful and tasteful? I can only imagine how many thousands of hits those sites are getting. I saw a news story that said there's surveillance footage of the kid shooting the other kids. As far as I know, it hasn't been released yet.

But, you know as soon as it's released, millions of people will watch it.

If people demanded the media be more respectful and tasteful, the media would be. But, a vast majority of people complain about the media but still look at all that crap.

Because SOMEBODY needs to be the adult and have some ethics. Just because people want to see it doesn't mean that it's a good idea to show it.

--------------------
-Chris

AsianDawg
All Pro

Re: Chardon shooter chose victims randomly... [Re: brownsfansince79]
      #904264 - Tue Feb 28 2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

link

Apparently, had nothing to do with bullying or drugs. Targets were picked out randomly. Pretty obvious the kid had some pretty serious mental problems.

I've gotta think that if he hadn't been chased out by that football coach, he might have hurt a lot more people.

Mr. Hall put his life in danger, and like Dave Sanders, he should be commended. From what I understand, he bull-rushed him and the kid got scared and bolted.

Dave Sanders was a teacher at Columbine who died helping kids escape in 99.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_David_Sanders

William David "Dave" Sanders (October 22, 1951 – April 20, 1999) was a computer and business teacher at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, USA. He was also the coach of the girls basketball and softball teams, though he is best known for his heroic efforts in helping to evacuate over 100 students during the Columbine High School massacre. Sanders was killed in his efforts. He was 47 years old.

I hope that orgs like the Bro}ns reach out to this community-the hilltoppers live and breathe football.

--------------------
Go Browns!

archbolddawg
Legend

Re: Chardon shooter chose victims randomly... [Re: AsianDawg]
      #904269 - Tue Feb 28 2012 10:36 PM

Out of curiosity - what should the Browns do? Or the Cav's, or Indians? What should they do?

What does this have to do with football? Chardon is like 35 miles from Cleveland? Archbold is about 150 miles from Cleveland. If some kid walks in and murders 3 students in Archbold would you hope the Browns did something? If so, what?

no_logo_required
Legend

Reged: Oct 11 2006

Re: Chardon shooter chose victims randomly... [Re: archbolddawg]
      #904273 - Tue Feb 28 2012 11:21 PM

Larry Dolan put a statement out in the press. An acknowledgement to the tragedy. I suspect that he will create a scholarship in the names of the students who died or something to that effect (Larry Dolan operates his lawfirm out of Chardon, so he has a personal connection with that area as well).

It doesn't do anything "real" but just knowing that they will be remembered sometimes helps a little. You have to start somewhere.

--------------------
"There’s a phrase for almost losing, it’s called winning."
-Coach Pettine

Damanshot
Legend

Re: Chardon shooter chose victims randomly... [Re: no_logo_required]
      #904311 - Wed Feb 29 2012 07:30 AM

I just read Dolans comments., pretty heart felt and sincere.

I don't know if having comments made by our sports franchises is a help or not. but it's not gonna hurt anything either. It's really an acknowledgment of the tragedy..

--------------------

PeteyDangerous
Hall of Famer

Reged: Jan 17 2007

#904334 - Wed Feb 29 2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

didn't the kid in Kentucky in the late 90's live.. Maybe not.. Not sure.. You may be right

Nope, a kid in Oregon I saw on Discovery's Crime Channel (Forgot its name) shot some kids at his school after killing his parents, some varsity wrestler kid (who was wounded) ended up tackling him while he was reloading.

Another kid with major mental issues, normal home for him. I just remember some recording of him with the cops when he was crying because there was something wrong with his mind and how he wanted the voices to stop or something. I think he only killed one student though

And yeah, both kids in Arkansas made it. How about the one in Alaska or that Indian Reservation?

--------------------
UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball

no_logo_required
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: PeteyDangerous]
      #904339 - Wed Feb 29 2012 09:50 AM

sadly there are too many instances of these school shootings. and you didn't even touch on the VaTech tragedies or other college shootings.

and the college shooting closest to home (especially to me as I was supposed to be picking up my final exam in the building when it happened - thankfully my mom called me and she needed help at home)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15767366/ns/...rve-university/

--------------------
-Coach Pettine

kingodawg
Hall of Famer

Loc: Kent Ohio

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: PeteyDangerous]
      #904348 - Wed Feb 29 2012 10:27 AM

I think I saw on TV that the kids from Arkansas are scheduled to be released from jail soon

KING

--------------------
You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map.

DCDAWGFAN
Legend

#904581 - Wed Feb 29 2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Just because people want to see it doesn't mean that it's a good idea to show it.

I don't even think people "want" to see it.. they watch it out of some morbid curiosity like watching a train wreck.. But it's a competitive market and its all about ratings so they will show what people will watch..

--------------------

DCDAWGFAN
Legend

#904583 - Wed Feb 29 2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

But with that said ... I remember back when Columbine happened and people decided to blame Marilyn Manson (whose music I can't stand but who I think is a very bright guy), he was asked what he would say to the Columbine kids if he could talk to them, and he said 'I wouldn't say a single word to them. I would listen to what they have to say, and that's what no one did.'

That is rather profound and equally true.

--------------------

PrplPplEater
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: DCDAWGFAN]
      #904665 - Wed Feb 29 2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just because people want to see it doesn't mean that it's a good idea to show it.

I don't even think people "want" to see it.. they watch it out of some morbid curiosity like watching a train wreck.. But it's a competitive market and its all about ratings so they will show what people will watch..

I'm well aware of the reasons... and that is precisely the void created by a lack of ethics. Ratings be damned... there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, and there was a time not that long ago that there was enough decency in this nation that those lines weren't crossed.

--------------------
-Chris

Damanshot
Legend

#904751 - Thu Mar 01 2012 07:18 AM

can't speak for anyone else, but i don't want to see it..

--------------------

FloridaFan
Legend

#904755 - Thu Mar 01 2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm well aware of the reasons... and that is precisely the void created by a lack of ethics. Ratings be damned... there are lines that shouldn't be crossed, and there was a time not that long ago that there was enough decency in this nation that those lines weren't crossed.

It'll be out there, and if people want to see it they can find it. But the media should have some respect and refrain from plastering it all over the place themselves in a bid to be "the first", "exclusive".

Whitney Houston Died on Feb 11, and was buried Feb 18. We got constant news coverage of the events and all in between, NBC Today Show even did a full 2 hr show the morning after her death on just Whitney.

These soldiers died while serving our country during the same timeframe and I bet not one of them was mentioned outside of local hometown papers or news broadcast.

Society may be messed up, but the media is the catalyst.

Quote:

http://www.militarytimes.com/valor/

Air Force Capt. Ryan P. Hall
February 18, 2012
30, of Colorado Springs, Colo.; assigned to the 319th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.; died Feb. 18 near Camp… [Read More]

Air Force Senior Airman Julian S. Scholten
February 18, 2012
26, of Upper Marlboro, Md.; assigned to 25th Intelligence Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.; died Feb. 18 near Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti,… [Read More]

Air Force Capt. Nicholas S. Whitlock
February 18, 2012
29, of Newnan, Ga.; assigned to the 34th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.; died Feb. 18 near Camp Lemonnier,… [Read More]

Air Force 1st Lt. Justin J. Wilkens
February 18, 2012
26, of Bend, Ore.; assigned to the 34th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.; died Feb. 18 near Camp Lemonnier,… [Read More]

Navy Hull Maintenance Technician 1st Class Paris S. Pough
February 17, 2012
40, of Columbus, Ga.; assigned to the aircraft carrier Carl Vinson, homeported in San Diego; died Feb. 17 of non-combat… [Read More]

Army Sgt. Jerry D. Reed II
February 16, 2012
30, of Russellville, Ark.; assigned to 2nd Battalion, 28th Infantry Regiment, 172nd Separate Infantry Brigade, Grafenwoehr, Germany; died Feb. 16… [Read More]

Navy Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Kyler L. Estrada
February 14, 2012
21, of Maricopa, Ariz.; assigned to 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, Camp Pendleton, Calif.; died Feb. 14 as a result of… [Read More]

Army Pfc. Cesar Cortez
February 11, 2012
24, of Oceanside, Calif., assigned to 5th Battalion, 52nd Air Defense Artillery Regiment, 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade, 32nd Army… [Read More]

--------------------
Growing Old Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional.

YTownBrownsFan
Legend

Re: possible shooting at Chardon School [Re: FloridaFan]
      #904783 - Thu Mar 01 2012 09:46 AM

National media is driven by a national political agenda, especially with regards to war and economics.

Further, they live for ratings, and plastering Houston's, or some other famous person's, face all over their tv broadcasts, playing their music, and so on, is good ratings material. It plays on nostalgia, and let's people feel somewhat good, even in the face of a "tragedy". (which a celebrity death may, or may not be, depending on who you ask)

The death of soldiers isn't particularly good for ratings, and it also doesn't fit their current political agenda. (and I apologize for taking this thread so far off-topic)

--------------------

no_logo_required
Legend

#904799 - Thu Mar 01 2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

National media is driven by

ratings. ratings = money.

--------------------
-Coach Pettine

hazelyB
Rookie

Reged: Mar 07 2012

#906506 - Wed Mar 07 2012 12:45 AM

The shooting was bloody and really put everybody in danger causing the lockdown. There are several definitions for the term lockdown, the most common of which pertains to a state of containment or a restriction of progression. They are also used to protect people inside a facility from a dangerous external event: in the United States, schools practice lockdowns in the wake of the Columbine High School massacre where potential assailants who were possessing firearms or enter the school without permission. Adjacent schools in Georgia were locked down for two hours Wed after a text message apparently cautioned of a "gunman" on campus. Later, it was discovered that the message was the consequence of a smartphone autocorrect function, attempting to "fix" the misspelled slang word "gunna." Autocorrected message leads to school lock down and lead to panic.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Dawg Talkers Message Boards >> Everything Else...

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Topic views: 6308

Jump to

Contact Us dawgtalkers.net