Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Donte Whitner on Johnny Manziel starting: 'We just can't turn that football over'
By Mary Kay Cabot, Northeast Ohio Media Group

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns safety Donte Whitner has no tolerance for turning the ball over, especially not five times like the Browns did during Sunday's 31-10 loss to the Jets.

"We'll come out and do what we're supposed to do (against the Titans), do what we practice to do – not turn the football over,'' he said Friday. "If a lot of those drives end with punts instead of turnovers, it's a totally different game."

Three of those five turnovers were committed by Johnny Manziel in the second half -- an interception and two fumbles -- and Whitner made it clear that won't fly in Manziel's start Sunday against the Titans.

"I don't know what I think Johnny will do,'' he said. "Only he knows that, only the offensive guys know that, the intricate details of what they're doing on that side of the ball. Whatever he does, we just can't turn that football over. Hopefully, he comes out, he plays lights out, no turnovers and we win the football game."

Whitner emphasized it's tough to play good defense when the opponent is starting at the Browns' 9 or 19. The Jets scored 21 of their 31 points off turnovers. One of those giveaways, however, was by Tashaun Gipson, who had the ball plucked out of his hand by Brandon Marshall after an interception.

"We don't feel like we played that all that bad on the defensive side of the ball,'' said Whitner. "The score might look differently than the game actually looks. It didn't start to get out of hand until the second half, until we started to turn it over, a mishap here on defense, a mishap here. We'll be alright."

Manziel, who was strip-sacked twice in the fourth quarter, has worked on his ball security all week and knows the Titans will be looking to punch it out and pick it off.

"Sure, Coach (Mike Pettine) is harping on that day-after-day, practice-after-practice, so if there's one person that's really making that a key point of the week, it's definitely coach Pettine,'' Manziel said.

Link

-----------------------------------

Glad to see Whitner not step up and take blame for his crappy play on Sunday.

Legend
Legend
they played absolutely bad. the whole squad did. own up and use it as fuel tomorrow.

β€œTo announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Whitner emphasized it's tough to play good defense when the opponent is starting at the Browns' 9 or 19. The Jets scored 21 of their 31 points off turnovers. One of those giveaways, however, was by Tashaun Gipson, who had the ball plucked out of his hand by Brandon Marshall after an interception.

"We don't feel like we played that all that bad on the defensive side of the ball,'' said Whitner. "The score might look differently than the game actually looks. It didn't start to get out of hand until the second half, until we started to turn it over, a mishap here on defense, a mishap here. We'll be alright."

They played well on the 2 drives they saw in the 1st quarter. In the 2nd quarter, even before that Marshall/Gipson play, they had given up a 40+ yard bomb to Owusu. That drive started at the 20 and even before the pick, the Jets were within FG range at our 37. Then they let the Jets score a TD, stopped them once and let them go 72 yards for another TD.

That's not good defense. And then the 2nd half happened. Stop making excuses... it was a bad game, start fresh on Sunday.

We're... we're good?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Swish
they played absolutely bad. the whole squad did. own up and use it as fuel tomorrow.

Hey the D played great... after all they only gave up 154 yards rushing.... wait a minute.....

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
Whitner (and whoever else would make such claims) needs to just be quiet. He's been all talk and no production since he joined the Browns 18 months ago.

We overpaid for him and he's using this as his last big paycheck, which is typical in the NFL (cough Dwayne Bowe cough) ... but don't have the audacity to questions my intelligence by spewing such garbage.

Even if we DID play well, unless we win I don't wanna hear it man.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The game was still a game at the beginning of the 3rd qtr...14-10 Jets.

In the 2nd half the Browns had 5 possession..here are the results...

3rd qtr..Manz..9 plays, INT..1st/10 Jets, on Browns 28...jets run 6 plays= TDpass
.........Browns 3 and out

4th qtr..Manz..7 plays, FUMBLE..1st/10 Jets, on Browns 19...jets run 4 running plays=TD
........Manz..5 plays, FUMBLE...1st/10 Jets, on Jets 48...Jets go 3 and out
.......Manz..8 plays, turn the ball over on downs at Jets 49

I can see why the Browns defensive unit might be upset, two turnovers by Manziel setting the Jets up at the Browns 28 and 19 yd line...which lead to 14 points.

But, the defense did not defend the short field, either, if they had held the Jets to field goals, most would credit the defense. But the defense gave up two TDs.

There is blame on both sides...but, the offense cannot turn the ball over.

This is a must win for the Browns and hopefully both sides will perform better.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Defense didn't play bad?

They ran the ball down our throats. The whole team played poorly, save Travis Benjamin.......

And once we started struggling, the team fell apart and lost its will to win that game.

We lost the battle of the trenches. We couldn't run the ball, we couldn't stop the run. And then we kept on getting penalties........

And Haden played a terrible game as well.

Yeah, I'd say the defense played poorly. Whitner would be better off shutting his mouth, not pointing his finger at Manziel (who seemed like the only one who was trying when things starting going bad), and make a tackle on the RB, rather than bumping Chris Ivory with his shoulder and letting him stroll into the end zone

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
Legend
Legend
C
I think the defense played bad because one of the starting safeties smokes crack.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I think the defense played bad because one of the starting safeties smokes crack.

It certainly sounds that way doesn't it?

saywhat

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think Whitner is out of line here. When I first read this the other day, I was pissed. Watching the game, Whitner on several occasions gave up big runs. He was a weak spot on the defense that day. IMO the guy has an overblown perception of himself. While he will lay a big hit, I think the rest of his game is average at best.

He needs to step up.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I saw the coaches take blame. I saw the OL take blame. Johnny pointed the finger at himself. This was supposed to be a team built upon defense, we spent another draft and free agency period on the defense, you give up over 150 yards rushing and make Fitzpatrick look like Montana in his prime and you are pointing fingers elsewhwere? I Just had real issues when I read this.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
LOLOLOL Yeah OK Donte. He either takes us all as a bunch of idiots or thinks we're all blind. Does he even still play here? I don't remember him making a play? If the Browns ever want to become a respectable team it's time to dump high priced dead weight like Whiffner and Bowe.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I saw the coaches take blame. I saw the OL take blame. Johnny pointed the finger at himself. This was supposed to be a team built upon defense, we spent another draft and free agency period on the defense, you give up over 150 yards rushing and make Fitzpatrick look like Montana in his prime and you are pointing fingers elsewhwere? I Just had real issues when I read this.

And Whitner was one of the worst performers on the defense that performed horribly.

R
Legend
Legend
R
What really concerns me about all this is what is being said in the film room. Earlier in the week Whitner was apologizing to the fans. Now the defense didn't play too badly. I have a feeling these coaches really coddle these players. From Camp Cupcake to Defilipo's and O'neil's pressers this week, I just get a bad feeling these guys are being patted on the head and back and being told "it's alright, we'll get them next time".

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Honestly, and I have zero proof and I am probably completely wrong but I wonder if taking Pet away from the defense has taken some of the accountability away from the defense.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Honestly, and I have zero proof and I am probably completely wrong but I wonder if taking Pet away from the defense has taken some of the accountability away from the defense.

If that's the case it's a double whammy since both units have appeared to take a step back.

Pettine should complete the trifecta after this year and get involved with special teams going into next season.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Pettine should complete the trifecta after this year and get involved with special teams going into next season.

If we keep playing like we did in week one, Pettine won't be around.

Maybe we can hire Sonny Dykes AND draft Jared Goff.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Just turned on the Cal game. Interested in watching this Goff kid.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Just turned on the Cal game. Interested in watching this Goff kid.

liked what I saw from him last night. He seems poised with a strong arm.

I'm always afraid of the spread/system QB ... but if he can make his progressions while under duress that's the ticket

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Jets 31 Dante Whitner, defense didnt play bad.

Link Copied to Clipboard