V
Too many. LOL

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Too many. LOL

I'll be honest, I didn't see one Nate sighting. With that said,supposedly Mingo has six tackles and I don't recall a single one of them either lol.

Guessing my eye sight is proofing the older I'm getting lol...

Legend
Legend
Just finally got to watch the game last night after getting back from vacation. Wanted to add some thoughts I hadn't seen mentioned yet.

I saw Orchard in for three plays in the 4th quarter. I didn't watch for him in the first quarter but he didn't play a snap in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. On the first play I saw he got double-teamed on an outside run to his side by the TE and the LT (or maybe it was two TEs?) and Craig Robertson ran right into his back rather than go to the edge. He's been doing that since preseason. I think it must be their run d scheme trying to get TFLs because I remember a play like that during preseason where Orchard set the edge well and Robertson ran right in behind him for a TFL. It doesn't work when the edge guy gets doubled, though. There was another play in that preseason game (pretty sure it was Washington) where Robertson did the same thing he did on Sunday where he just ran into the defender taking an angle that wasn't going to get him to the back.

The other two plays were passing plays. Neither play did he look really like an explosive rusher. The first one, the RB helped the LT on blocking him. The second one he got a really good punch in on the LT that knocked him back, but he didn't threaten the QB.

But Barkevious Mingo was absolutely HORRIBLE on Sunday. Amazingly bad. He was the worst player on our defense. What happened to the guy who got a sack on his first NFL snap?! He didn't get any pressure, he lost the TE on that play where he got wide open and Mariota just flinged the ball in his general direction, he took a horrible angle on Mariota on a scramble that allowed a pretty good chunk run on a scramble, was unsurprisingly not a factor in the run game. I'm really disappointed. I thought he would play well this year now that he's actually healthy, but he just isn't doing anything well.

John Hughes played great, as poorly as he played week 1. Run and pass he made an impact for himself and his teammates.

Armonty looked really good rushing the passer but was hit and miss vs. the run. Sometimes he anchored that edge well, but he also had a number of times where he took it too far upfield and the LBs were unable to cut into that spot he vacated in time. Kind of the opposite problem of the other OLBs who just let the RB run right around them. On that big run by McCluster, Armonty went way upfield and Whitner actually went outside of him. Without knowing who did the wrong thing there (my guess is Armonty but I really don't know) if either one of those guys takes their path inside, that play is a loss.

Shelton was inconsistent... he's drawing double teams most plays but those double teams are often driving him yards out of the hole in the run game.

Starks made a few nice plays.

Still waiting for Dansby to show something like last year... wonder if he's still fighting that injury or if he's just bummed about how last season finished and hasn't mentally rebounded. Seems like he's been really wanting the recognition for being a good player and was oping last year he'd finally get that Pro Bowl nod... didn't happen and he seemed really upset when that injury occurred. Just my speculation, though.

Man, Joe Haden was great.

Bitonio, I hope he gets it together. He set the bar really high for himself last year and he's not meeting it. He was probably our worst player on O. Mack got blown up a couple times, for sure, but Bitonio was consistently underperforming. i hope he figures out and can fix what's been going on.

Sounds like a silly thing to say, but I wish we could find a way to get more offensive plays. Hawkins looked good when he touched the ball, and we barely involved Hartline and Barnidge. Of course, I'm not going to turn down short drives if they include 50 - 60 yards bombs for TDs.

One interesting thing I heard on Cleveland Browns Daily radio show yesterday... there have been 6 plays of 50+ yards in the NFL so far (I don't think there was one last night) and three of them have been Manziel to Benjamin. Nice.

Legend
Legend
Too many. LOL

He played a whopping 13 snaps in the game.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

I was surprised he was in for that many. also surprised Mingo was in for only 22 on defense. Seemed like more.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: clevesteve
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

I was surprised he was in for that many. also surprised Mingo was in for only 22 on defense. Seemed like more.

It looks like Armonty Bryant is the outside linebacker opposite Kruger. Orchard and Mingo are sub package players only at this point.

Legend
Legend
yeah, Armonty was in there a lot... I think that's where he needs to be and am glad they are finally coming around to that realization. Let him get experience there.

D
Legend
Legend
D
yeah, Armonty was in there a lot... I think that's where he needs to be and am glad they are finally coming around to that realization. Let him get experience there.

Yep I agree. And still flexible enough to move back inside. Armonty doesn't get talked about as much as I think he should. He's a fluent pass rusher.

M
Legend
Legend
M

I remember you suggesting this move awhile back. Nice observation.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thanks for your take Steve, much appreciated.

Man, if Bitonio has a sophomore slump this season, what's left of Farmer's drafts? I hope it's just a young player struggling with the new OL scheme/picking up the new offense.

The Orchard pick was the worst for me last draft. He's not athletic enough to be a 3-4 WOLB pass rusher and not stout enough to be a SOLB. Waste of a pick. Probably picked because of his stats, like Jarvis Jones was. Sometimes I wonder if those GM even bother to watch tape on the prospects, because if they did, I can't envision anyone seeing a 1st/2nd rd player.

As for Shelton, wasn't a fan, because of bad value, but he's good enough to become a decent rotational DL in the NFL at least. Still a bad pick in my opinion. The best NT I saw on tape from last year's draft class is on the Bears PS btw, so anyone can pick him up, Terry Williams. Wouldn't mind bringing back Kitchen to solidify the run D.

Hughes and Armonty had very good games, yes. I excuse Dansby, he's playing through a foot injury and is toughing it out. He played every snap through two weeks, he's the QB of the D with the headset and all. Would be very tough to replace him. Neither Kirksey nor Robertson are every down LB. The depth at ILB is really bad. If Dansby can't play, it will be a catastrophe, so I take him even at 75%

Last edited by DjangoBrown; 09/25/15 02:02 PM.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
.. " Shelton was inconsistent... he's drawing double teams most plays but those double teams are often driving him yards out of the hole in the run game. "

Thank you very much !

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Too many. LOL

He played a whopping 13 snaps in the game.

Didn't realize that he played that many. All I noticed is that he was engulfed by the lineman on numerous plays. The first time I noticed was on a play where a guy got totally swallowed and the RB got outside. I had to rewind it and then I had to look up his number to identify the guy. It was Orchard. I watched him after that and he was UGLY!

steve........I was disappointed in Mingo's performance, too. He made some decent plays, but he is too weak in the upper body.

I disagree w/you about Robertson. I think he is playing very, very well.

Bitonio makes some good plays and some bad plays. He's still pretty good.

Well guys.........we don't agree on everything, but at least it's a pretty good conversation.

Thanks.

Legend
Legend
I don't know if Robertson was taking bad angles or if the defensive scheme assumes a win for the contain. When the edge is set that almost always results in a TFL. I asked Matt Wilhelm about it today and he said he's not sure either. So it's hard to say if he is right on those played without hearing it straight from the coaches mouth.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I believe it was 14 reps...I didn't like what I saw from Orchard either. But its not a panic mode.

Quite frankly regarding Mingo...we need to attack with him more. He still can control the edge with penetration. Get him out in 90 Tech and have him explode in there. Not too deep but with speed The OT is in Run block mode not Pass block if he does it opens up the B Gap for an ILB to fill immediately and take on the RB at the LOS! Read and React with Mingo letting the OT get his hands on him is just a bad decision. Armonty Bryant now he fills their OLB needs I think he will end up the starting OLB in this Defense...actually I would love to see them bring Mingo inside and have him explode more and be able to go side line to sideline and when we blitz him??? man o man...that could be his future here. His coverage on TEs would be good and blitz good, with Shelton eating up blockers.
Sorry not a good bad ugly just clicked on the thread and it took me to the Mingo, Orchard convo and I jumped in.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 28 Titans 14 The Good, The God-Like, The Bad, and The Ugly

Link Copied to Clipboard