Next Thread
Print Thread
#1012046 10/06/15 07:41 AM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Have you always wished you could understand the abstract precepts of the philosophy Existentialism?

Perhaps some of you atheists are proponents of Existentialism.

For those of you not “in-the-know” here’s a primer. Courtesy of Professor rockyhilldawg.

The word Existentialism is derived from the old latin verb existere meaning, “to harvest turnips and radishes at midnight on the winter solstice in your pajamas.”

Over time the meaning evolved to: “Why are you harvesting turnips and radishes in your pajamas at midnight on the winter solstice?” After several more generations existere morphed into simply “Why?”.

The term “Existentialism” was first coined by an Italian shoemaker when his toilet paper always mysteriously disappeared. He often exclaimed, “That’s very existentialism”

In the early 20th century, French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre became the main adherent of Existentialism and was awarded the 1964 Nobel Prize in Literature for his treatise on Existentialism:

“Je ne suis pas comme les oeufs et le jambon verts. Je ne vais pas les mange Sam je suis..”

“I do not like green eggs and ham. I will not eat them Sam I am.”

Jean-Paul initially rejected the Nobel prize money exclaiming “What good is money” He later tried to claim the prize money only to be denied and told by the Nobel committee: “What good is rent, food and material goods?”

Sartre, who was eventually declared insane in 113 countries, 49 states and the District of Columbia (Idaho and Ghana abstained), posited the philosophy's main tenet:

“That which is real - exists. That which is not real we’re not sure about. That which is in-between, is in-between.”

F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
Have you always wished you could understand the abstract precepts of the philosophy Existentialism?

Not really. smile

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Schrödinger's cat

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Legend
Legend
I thought it was "Dead AND Alive"

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't believe that this post exists.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Nope, but I always wish I could understand why it is always I after E accept following C.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

Nope, but I always wish I could understand why it is always I after E accept following C.

You are just insufficiently informed on the rule, and not proficient in the science of the English language.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
F
Legend
Legend
F
Quote:

I before E, Except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbor. wink

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
I need to weigh in on that ...

Legend
Legend

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Nope, but I always wish I could understand why it is always I after E accept except following C.
crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
"Wabbits... Wabbits evewywhea."

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Quote:

You are just insufficiently informed on the rule, and not proficient in the science of the English language.

Guilty as charged thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was asked by a couple Philippine guys I worked with about English. They wanted to know how you could tell how to pronounce 'ough' words properly. I had no explanation, other than you have to know the language. They had learned a lot of English, seeing as they learned mostly from watching TV.

English is a blend of Gaelic, old German, Latin, French, old Norse, and others. At lot of the structure comes from German (I am, you are, he is: Ich bin, du bist, er ist), where the 'ough' words are mostly from Gaelic. Certain words are from Norse languages: døde became the English dead, where Latin languages use variations of mortuum. It's a really messed up, bastardized language.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend
Dough
Bough
Bought

Clear as day. rofl

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Dough
Bough
Bought

Clear as day. rofl

D'oh!

B
Legend
Legend
B

Perhaps some of you atheists are proponents of Existentialism.

For those of you not “in-the-know” here’s a primer. Courtesy of Professor rockyhilldawg.

The word Existentialism is derived from the old latin verb existere meaning, “to harvest turnips and radishes at midnight on the winter solstice in your pajamas.”

Over time the meaning evolved to: “Why are you harvesting turnips and radishes in your pajamas at midnight on the winter solstice?” After several more generations existere morphed into simply “Why?”.

The term “Existentialism” was first coined by an Italian shoemaker when his toilet paper always mysteriously disappeared. He often exclaimed, “That’s very existentialism”

In the early 20th century, French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre became the main adherent of Existentialism and was awarded the 1964 Nobel Prize in Literature for his treatise on Existentialism:

“Je ne suis pas comme les oeufs et le jambon verts. Je ne vais pas les mange Sam je suis..”

“I do not like green eggs and ham. I will not eat them Sam I am.”

Jean-Paul initially rejected the Nobel prize money exclaiming “What good is money” He later tried to claim the prize money only to be denied and told by the Nobel committee: “What good is rent, food and material goods?”

Sartre, who was eventually declared insane in 113 countries, 49 states and the District of Columbia (Idaho and Ghana abstained), posited the philosophy's main tenet:

“That which is real - exists. That which is not real we’re not sure about. That which is in-between, is in-between.”

Dang dude, I am gald I ran in to you elsewhere and could help to point your way home. You crack me up man.....good stuff. Really glad you are back.

It's nearing Christmas....you know....Christmas movies

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
quote by 'peen above:

"you know....Christmas movies"

Yeah...I've heard of them.

Legend
Legend
link

Existentialist Firefighter Delays 3 Deaths

Farber deferred praise, saying that by charging into danger to rescue the victims he "merely put off the fate that befalls us all."

SCHAUMBURG, IL—In an ultimately futile act some have described as courageous and others have called a mere postponing of the inevitable, existentialist firefighter James Farber delayed three deaths Monday.

"I'm no hero," Farber said after rescuing the family from a house fire on the 2500 block of West Thacker Street, and prolonging for the time being their slow march toward oblivion. "Like any other man, I am thrown into this world, alone and terrified, to play a meaningless role in an empty life. In my case, that role happens to involve charging through towering blazes to pull helpless individuals from a sea of flames before they suffocate or are burnt alive."

Added Farber, "That hardly makes me a paragon of virtue."

At 2:30 a.m. Monday, the alarm sounded at Farber's station house, causing the despondent firefighter to emerge from a deep malaise and, though still absorbed by the sense of dread that has preoccupied him since youth, respond promptly to the request for assistance at the home of Stanley and Joyce Morgenstern.

According to department officials, Farber, a 13-year veteran of Ladder Company 8, climbed through a kitchen window and, despite carrying with him a heavy burden of alienation, managed to see all three members of the family to safety.

"He came out the front door with a body slung over each shoulder, and seconds later there was this big fireball and beams started falling and the whole thing caved in," neighbor Judy Neal said. "When it was all over, he just sort of stood there emotionless and silent, as if nothing had happened at all."

"I think I even saw him shrug," she added.

While acknowledging that the Morgenstern family no longer has a home, authorities said it really makes no sense to bemoan this fact, as things like this happen every day, and it's no use trying to pretend that, in and of itself, existence is anything but a provisional circumstance over which we exert limited control.

Though the cause of the fire remains unknown, and can perhaps never truly be known, sources close to the investigation said that no foul play is suspected, only the haphazard, amoral processes inherent in nature itself.

"The house will be rebuilt, or perhaps it won't," Farber said of the destruction. "Perhaps an entirely new building will be built there, one that's not even a house. Or maybe it will remain a vacant lot, and a tree will grow there, and some day, long after I and everyone I know has died, young children will come here and play in its branches."

Farber became a firefighter in 1997, although he stresses that he could just as easily have ended up a baker, an attorney, or a parking garage attendant, depending on whether or not circumstances led him to find himself in such a life.

As for the ultimate consequences of his actions Monday, Farber said they will forever remain uncertain.

"The family has thanked me repeatedly, especially for saving the life of their only child, but their gratitude ignores the full, crushing weight of reality," said Farber, his brow furrowed. "The world may have all kinds of torture in store for that kid, misery that could have been avoided if not for me."

"I tried to explain to them that what I did was really nothing more than an expression of despair, and thus absurd, but they just kept saying 'thank you, oh my God, thank you, thank you so much,'" Farber continued.

With local residents applauding the rescue as an inspiring act of bravery, Farber acknowledged to reporters that entering a burning building and knowing you may never come out is indeed a scary thing. But, he argued, it takes far more courage to face down the fear that comes each day from the horrifying and inescapable knowledge that, at any given moment, a man has the complete freedom to simply pour gasoline all over himself, strike a match, and let himself burn.

When asked if he felt something, anything, after briefly extending the lives of three human beings, Farber replied in the negative.

"I was doing what, at that moment, I was doing," he said. "Tomorrow, if there is another fire, I will do the same. Perhaps in that fire, I will be the one who is killed. Or, on the other hand, perhaps I will not. Either way, there will be anguish and sorrow at some unknown point."

Added Farber, "There always is."

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Firefighter James Farber - tempered by the realities of uncertainty in a world fraught with provisional circumstances leading to inescapable conclusions based on the meaningless role of transient knowledge that expresses anguish over the heavy burden of alienation from the consequences inherent in nature itself that leads to the malaise that haunts man’s very conscience - is - to the degree possible in this ever changing and inconstant presence of perception often resulting from dubious interpretations of phenomena surrounding our genuineness - an Existential Hero.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Great. Now I need a new Thesaurus.

Legend
Legend
Firefighter James Farber - tempered by the realities of uncertainty in a world fraught with provisional circumstances leading to inescapable conclusions based on the meaningless role of transient knowledge that expresses anguish over the heavy burden of alienation from the consequences inherent in nature itself that leads to the malaise that haunts man’s very conscience - is - to the degree possible in this ever changing and inconstant presence of perception often resulting from dubious interpretations of phenomena surrounding our genuineness - an Existential Hero.

And then the morning alarm went off and James awoke to Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Want To Have Fun.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
It would have been better if he woke up to this

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
"They just wanna...just wannnnaaa..."

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Existentialism Explained

Link Copied to Clipboard