Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Browns cornerback Tramon Williams says NFL admitted error on game-winning field goal

Posted by Mike Florio on October 8, 2015, 8:01 AM EDT
link

The NFL recently instructed coaches not to disclose information about private communications with the league office regarding officiating errors. And on Wednesday a Browns player disclosed information about private communications with the league office regarding officiating errors.

Via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com, Browns cornerback Tramon Williams said Wednesday that the NFL admitted officials incorrectly flagged him for being offside on a 39-yard field goal try by Chargers kicker Josh Lambo. The attempt went wide right, the Chargers got another chance from five yards closer, and Lambo made the kick.

“The coaches sent in the tape questioning it, because it was close and I thought I got a good jump,” Williams said. “It was time to do or die at the end of the game. I had gathered all the information throughout the game, and I was like, ‘This is my time.’ And sure enough, I got a good jump on it.”

He definitely did. One of the two All-22 film angles from the NFL’s Game Rewind feature shows Williams getting a perfect jump on the snap — a jump so perfect that from the other angle he appeared to be offside.

Even though the blunder gave the Chargers another chance to win the game, Williams doesn’t seem to be all that upset.

“I just move so much faster than everybody else,” Williams said. “I can see where the referees would miss that. . . . Guys make mistakes. At the end of the day you just hope that we can get judgment at the end of the game, maybe review or whatever it may be.”

The real question (apart from whether rulings of this nature will be added to the replay review rules) is whether the league will be upset with the Browns. Although the memo sent last month to teams regarding the disclosure of private communications with the league office was directed at coaches, executives, and owners, the league office likely won’t react well to coaches giving that information to players and players then sharing it publicly.

Regardless, the Browns claim that the same kind of mistake that caused the Lions to lose to the Seahawks caused the Browns to lose to the Chargers. And the Browns seem to be accurate. And it would have been a much bigger deal if the game had been played in prime time.

Last edited by mac; 10/08/15 08:23 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Everyone is human. If we were a better team it wouldnt have been that close to start with.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I admit I thought he was offside when I saw it, but then again, at least 2-3 times a game I think Joe Thomas is moving before the snap to get into pass pro. Its just because he's so quick into his back-peddle.

Legend
Legend
Here is a GIF of the play:

I'm still thinking he was just a little bit early off the snap...(?)...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
While I agree that a team should be good enough to not have the refs determine the outcome of a game, I still think the refs should have some sort of disciplinary action when they screw up.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
First, IMO, officiating has been horrible this season. The officials have been so nit picky, calling senseless penalties, holding, touching the QB, touching a facemask...etc.

So the officials blew another call that potentially cost a team a win...

...oh well, it's just the Browns!

THAT, is the type of respect the Browns have in the NFL, imo.

Also, this idea that teams should keep quiet about bad call..that is messed up. Officials should be accountable for their performance, just like coaches and players.

If the NFL is truly concerned about protecting "the shield" and "the integrity" of the game, they need to clean up the officiating.

All it takes is one call, by one official, to change a team's season and in one weekend, the fans have witnessed two examples of teams losing games or losing a chance to win a game, because of a bad call, by one official.

Penalties that are close and at very critical times of a game should be reviewable, by the NFL!

It is the NFL's choice to hire individuals who are "part time officials". All NFL officials have other jobs that they do throughout the week, then as their "part time job", they officiate NFL games.

The NFL's main objective in officiating should be to insure that the officials "get the call right"!

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry, and they are using "part time officials", who make mistakes..very serious mistakes.

With so much riding on these games, taking a look to see if the officials get the calls correct is not too much to ask, IMO.

E
Legend
Legend
E
The article states that the NFL might penalize us for giving that info out to our players.

1. We sent the film in so knew about it before the NFL agreed.

2. The NFL should STF up, and stop changing the outcome of games!

Nobody of course knows about this...the NFL could no be so stupid to penalize us in some way so that all would find out that THEY BLEW ANOTHER GAME!!!

Apologies out to Tra Williams as he was one of the major goats of last weeks games. We should have won that in OVER TIME!

Oh and on the replay Tra does move but it was a slo mo upward movement by the time he started moving forward the LS had the ball off the ground and moving backward. He did time it perfect and was penalized for doing his job correctly! flamingmad Instead of secret hush hush bs...the NFL should be apologizing to every Browns' fan, player around!
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
This really pisses me off...

Our Browns are struggling, trying to get this thing right and now we find out the official's screwed up the most critical call of the entire game, GIVING SD a second chance to win the game.

The NFL is becoming "unwatchable" due to the officials calling nitpicking penalties every other play. Now the officials are determining the outcome of the NFL's games...that sucks and needs to be fixed.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Arps
Everyone is human. If we were a better team it wouldnt have been that close to start with.

This is it right here. We had opportunities, plenty of em', that would've made that call meaningless or pressed them to need to score six. I'm not going to get bitter about the bad call at all. I'm happy the nfl fussed up to the bad call though!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
yeah, I finally just had a chance to watch it on my DVR in super slow-mo...Williams was NOT off-sides. It was timed perfectly.

It's a shame with all of the other things the refs do to slow up a game, they aren't allowed to review that. It's not a judgement call flag. He either IS or ISN'T off-sides. Should be reviewable.

Oh well.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
Legend
Legend
You'll never hear me complaining about calls. Chances are we lose in OT anyways.

That being said Goodell needs to go. He has highhandedly changed NFL football to the worse under his watch. The integrity of the NFL is not his focus. Greed and power is.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Chances are we lose in OT anyways.

I agree, they most likely woulda blew it. After all, this is the Browns we're talkin' about!

Legend
Legend
I watched the play 14 times on Monday morning (I had a very long and fun Bears tailgate). I never saw him offside.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
At least we have a win in the moral victory category. Maybe we can make it to the moral Superbowl this year?

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
You'll never hear me complaining about calls. Chances are we lose in OT anyways.

You sir, are a defeatist...

someone who surrenders easily...

someone who accepts defeat without a struggle, someone who just gives up...

I "will complain" about an official's call if the call is wrong. These guys are supposed to be the best officials, yet this past weekend, we have watched two of the NFL officials decide the outcome of two NFL games...

...those games were not decided by the players on the field, but by one man in a striped shirt...that is messed up and it is affecting the integrity of the game.

At the least, the Browns should have had chance in overtime, where they would have a 50-50 shot at winning.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

You sir, are a defeatist...

someone who surrenders easily...

LOL ....And you sir are living a fantasy.

I simply won't spent one second of time belly aching on something I have zero control over. You're calling out the wrong person. Go jump down Goodell's throat.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
At least we have a win in the moral victory category. Maybe we can make it to the moral Superbowl this year?

That's called the "Koolaid Punchbowl"

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The ref blew the call. They do that sometimes. There isn't a guy here that is certain that they wouldn't have blown the same call if they were wearing stripes at the time.

On TV, when they showed the replay, they showed the angle behind the kicker. I saw that replay and thought he was offsides.

The point is that we got ourselves in a position where that call made a difference. Granted, I like the fact that we fought till the end, but I'd rather be in a spot where we we didn't need to depend on a call.

I am glad for Williams, because you guys want scalps when we lose and usually it's on the guy that made the last mistake. Williams has been our best DB since the season started and he doesn't deserve it.

There is 1 guy on this team who is as good as I thought he was before the season started, Joe Thomas. Haden might be hurt and therefore disappointing so far. Alex Mack is getting back to form but rusty. Dansby and Whitner need to wake up. Gibson is pissing away millions. I think Kruger might be done, Mingo is done, and Orchard may never get started. The D-line isn't that bad looking on the tape, but isn't that great either. Shelton is neither dominating or weak. Bitonio was the best rookie o-lineman I have ever seen play for the Browns last year, but he looks lost this year on some plays. Malcolm Johnson should be on the practice squad. Either Dray or Bibbs would be better at his job right now. The smurfs have done fine, Hartline has looked great, Benjamin has really surprised and we are deeper at WR than I thought other than that big endzone guy. Bowe says he's that guy, but has said he was that guy the last few years. I hope Housler brings in doughnuts every day because it's the only reason that he should have a job right now. Crowell isn't half the RB he was last year and Duke Johnson will take away the job at some point. Duke is not an AFC North runner. He can be more than a 3rd down back, but not much more. He is more like Metcalf than Byner.

There are 5 guys that are better than I thought they were when the season started.

Josh McCown-10 times better than I thought he was and I was a little higher on him than most.

Travis Benjamin- I pretty much thought he was a one trick pony that could only run the deep route and lost a little of his speed. I don't know what he did this offseason to improve his route running, but it is night and day.

Jamie Meder- I was high on him in preseason and thought he should make the team, but he's looked better than Warren or Taylor looked in their rookie years and they were first rounders. He is literally the best player on our defense over the first 4 weeks. He is more shocking on defense than Bitonio was on offense last year.

Tramon Williams- I always liked the way this guy plays. He has never had the best athleticism, it's just good, but he is always in the right spot. You can tell he goes home and studies tape. He's a guy that won't let you say "Well we just won't throw to Joe Haden's side." If Haden was playing anywhere close to where he has played before, this would be a shutdown unit right now. Hopefully Haden just needs to heal.

Gary Barnidge- Didn't hate the guy, but just thought he was an overachieving blocking TE. He is not Gronk, but he is awfully freakin close to Witten in his prime right now.

So if this ref call is a big deal to you, you are just too young. It's such a big, big avalanche of sadness in Brown's history that I do not have the years it would take to explain everything, so I'll just talk about the Browns vs the Refs...

I can't find a good video for when Orlando Brown got hit in the eye with a referee's flag. Hopefully someone will post one. I remember him pushing the ref to the ground and I remember him wanting to fight half his own team trying to coax him away after that. I don't blame the guy. He missed at least a season after that and never came back the same. He died at age 40.

So as bad as a lot of you think it is....

It's not half as painful as it was and that is why we sacrifice Joe into the volcano.

S
Legend
Legend
S
As I said in the other thread, I don't care about the penalty on the missed field goal.... I'm mad that SD got within a chip shot in 4 plays and a minute off the clock. That's unacceptable at the NFL level.

After seeing that gif, he was probably offside. It's close. I don't really care. I was already irate at the defense by that point. We would have been lucky to have that game go into overtime on a missed FG by an NFL kicker.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
I am glad for Williams, because you guys want scalps when we lose and usually it's on the guy that made the last mistake. Williams has been our best DB since the season started and he doesn't deserve it.

deputy...Go back and find the post where or posts where I ripped Williams.

Take the time to back up you claim, OK.

Quote:
So if this ref call is a big deal to you, you are just too young.

deputy...so you believe I'm just too young to understand...lol...I've been a Browns fan for over 50 yrs!

I'm glad the Browns didn't follow the path that some of our "passive fans" wanted..to just accept the official's call and shut up about it.

Pettine decided to pursue the issue, sending the video to the NFL Hdqrts to confirm what they had seen on the video replay...that the ref who made the offside call against Williams, WAS WRONG, making a critical error, costing the Browns a chance to win the game in OT.

I'm also glad to see that someone with the Browns had the guts to defy NFL wishes to hide the refs mistake from the public.

Pettine realizes there is nothing that can be done about the SD game..but exposing the refs mistake is not about the SD game...it is about future games and future penalties.

The message to the NFL..they have a problem that needs to be addressed...refs making bad calls that cost teams a chance to win a game. NFL Hdqtrs needs to fix the problem!

Anyone that believes Pettine is not going to point out all the events that lead up to the attempted field goal. Pettine is going to drive the point home to his players..don't put yourselves in a position where a ref makes a bad call that takes the game away from us.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: mac

Also, this idea that teams should keep quiet about bad call..that is messed up. Officials should be accountable for their performance, just like coaches and players.

I think I saw a commentator mention that you only get 16 games in the NFL - unlike basketball or baseball where you can let 1-2 games slide. EVERY game is of vital importance as is every play. In the NFL - every play is crucial and can be a game turner. Much like the Seahawks issue - 1 bad call can change a SEASON - and a players career and more so than most of the major sports.

Except for interference calls and a few vague others, the NFL seems to have the most black/white rules and for good reason.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." [Mark Twain]
Legend
Legend
So I assume either we're going to beat Baltimore because of a ridiculous makeup call..

Or the refs are going to hold a grudge and call everything under the sun on us..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
What's the difference? I watched last Sundays game again last night and saw more of our defensive lineman being mugged on Sunday than are mugged in New York in a month. There was more holding going on than there is at a High School Prom yet no yellow flags getting thrown notallthere

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2015 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 27 Chargers 30 Browns cornerback Tramon Williams says NFL admitted error on game-winning field goal

Link Copied to Clipboard