Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
January 25th is on average the coldest day of the year here in the Northern Hemisphere. (and the opposite in the Southern Hemisphere)

We know this from over a 100 years of detailed record-keeping.

Conversely, the hottest day of the year is July 25th.

I believe these are the most significant days of the year to life on Earth. You could argue for the winter/summer solstices ~ December 21st/June 21st (least/most hours of sunlight). But you can’t die from reduced light. (at least not immediately). You can die quickly from hypo/hyper thermia.

So here we are. Starting today the average daily temperature starts going up until July 25th.

I wonder why these aren't recognized as being two very special days. I guess because we didn't know it until recently (unlike the solstices which we knew about thousands of years ago). Accurate thermometers and hourly temperature record-keeping is fairly recent.

They need names.

Last edited by Referee 3; 02/04/16 10:27 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We could call them 'cold day' and 'hot day'. Does this mean we can all get naked and dance around a bonfire or ice block at sunrise?

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
quote by Erik above:

"Does this mean we can all get naked and dance around a bonfire or ice block at sunrise?"

Geez, I haven't done that since...let's see...since...when was that?... oh yeah, this morning.

By the way, once it's 75+ degrees outside, why can't we walk around naked outside?

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
woo hoo...time to get the boat out!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
We could call them 'cold day' and 'hot day'. Does this mean we can all get naked and dance around a bonfire or ice block at sunrise?

No, but you can still worship the sun on Easter morning.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
I miss living near the equator. Even Norcal seems waaaaay too cold for me now.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by PIT:

"No, but you can still worship the sun on Easter morning."

the sun and The Son.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Problem being is Friday afternoon until Sunday at sunrise isn't three days and three nights. If Christ spent three days and three nights in the grave as the Bible states, he could not have been resurrected Sunday at sunrise.

Silly people. I didn't know it was that difficult to add up to three.

Maybe people should actually find out how this custom was adopted into Christianity in the first place? Nah....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Nah......

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Hey kingcob,

Did you notice toilets don't swirl when flushed at the equator?

It's true. In the northern hemisphere they swirl clockwise and in the southern hemisphere they swirl counter-clockwise. At the equator they just gurgle down.

Or is it counterclockwise in the northern? Or is it a myth? When I was in college, my head always swirled clockwise.

Legend
Legend
Counter clockwise in the northern... clockwise in the southern... and in Pittsburgh it just drops through the boards into the big hole in the ground. tongue

yebat' Putin
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Just a myth. The direction of toilet water is determined by the pipes and toilet design. Same with sinks. The Coriolis effect is too small to make a difference.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Problem being is Friday afternoon until Sunday at sunrise isn't three days and three nights. If Christ spent three days and three nights in the grave as the Bible states, he could not have been resurrected Sunday at sunrise.

Maybe people should actually find out how this custom was adopted into Christianity in the first place? Nah....

Jews count the day ending at sundown. Technically they still considered it Thursday when he was put in the tomb.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
Tonights forecast, dark .... mostly dark, followed by periods of light in the morning.

I would link to Carlin's stuff, but unfortunately much of his stuff has profanity in it. (and much of which did nothing to add to his comedy) He really was a genius though.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: MrTed

Jews count the day ending at sundown. Technically they still considered it Thursday when he was put in the tomb.

Jesus was crucified on the preparation day before Sabbath. That would be Friday. This is a stead fast fact unworthy of discussion.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

No, but you can still worship the sun on Easter morning.

I'd rather hang out with pagans. Most of their holidays involve fertility, and therefore sex. They're much more fun than those that constantly want to repent.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm all for people celebrating whatever religion or customs they wish.

I just find it funny that so many celebrate so many customs they have no idea where they came from.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I celebrate the coming of the Groundhog.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
It's OK PIT. The important thing is to go out and have a good time.

Legend
Legend
I'm all for people celebrating whatever religion or customs they wish.

I just find it funny that so many celebrate so many customs they have no idea where they came from.

Why? If you are celebrating what it means to you NOW.. what difference does it make what it meant to a different group of people 1800 years ago?

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Here we are again....Coldest Day Of The Year

Link Copied to Clipboard