Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Sigh...

Different learners learn different ways. All of you should take a basic educational psychology course to understand these alternative methods.

The original way is still taught, GM. We're just showing kids alternative ways of doing it. Some kids actually do learn better by breaking it all down.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Swish
that common core thing isn't from us.

that's just some BS neither party likes except a select few.

My nephew had to stay with me for a small stretch...and when he come home and asked for help with his math..I'm like no problem lets see it...I took college level trig and aced it.

That was the first time I saw this common core crap...I felt like a dumbass...and said your teacher may not accept this..but here this is how I learned...he says oh that makes sense. Comes home the next day with a note from the teacher saying he needs to do it the right way or he wont get credit.

SCREW common core.

Rocket I understand kids learn different ways and teachers need to not use one shoe fits all...but damn common core is RETARDED.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I equate common core math to how I do math in my head. I simplify the problem and come to an answer. To line everything up in your head to try to do the traditional way, doesn't work as well.

On paper, I do it the traditional way.

In that problem above, 32-12, is probably done a really dumb way for common core even. 35-12 though? 30-10 + 5-2 would be a way I would do it in my head. Of course you can also do it 35-15 + 15-12, or several other ways. These numbers are easier to work with in your head for a lot of people. For some people, its easier to use them on paper. For some, traditional methods work better. In the end, in the real world, it doesn't matter how you get the answer, only that it is correct. Teaching it different ways so it will click with the different types of students only makes sense.

i've seen a really great explanation by a math professor of how to do multiplication using common core. I can't find that video anymore, but here is one that is similar though its a simpler problem.

Here's another one with two, two digit numbers multiplying.

It's pretty cool and easy to follow (the one I can't find, these aren't bad, but not as good). Unfortunately a lot of people suck at teaching, especially when its teaching something out of their comfort zone.

I've further seen how you can take this method and easily translate using it in much more complex algebra. Kids simply are understanding THAT better because of these methods.

I still don't get long division via common core. Maybe one day... lol... one day I'll learn it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
I dont understand why republicans seem to want a less educated population.

Maybe somebody should spend more time trying to figure out why we already spend more per pupil than anybody else and get such crappy results rather than trying to figure out what we can do with even more money.

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Too much per pupil funding spent on assessments that fail to measure all learning modalities, individuals with no backing in educational psychology, and politicians who love buzzwords like "accountability" and such are a HUGE reason for misused budgets.

Never are educational experts consulted on these important manners. Pearson, who is a giant conglomerate with the educational testing service (ETS), lobbied a ridiculous amount for their ideas.

We need to come to terms that no "one size fits all" education philosophy remains suitable for a varied amount of learners.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/02/11/us/ap-us-school-funding-kansas.html?_r=0

Jesus, now they might shut down the schools if this doesn't get fixed.

Tulsa, you bout the closest person to Kansas, you got any insider information on what's going on down there? What are the people saying about this?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
I've not heard anyone either in person or tv talking about this. The loss of oil is killing our local economy too, I think people are focusing on their own right now.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FBHO71
I'll take republican lead state, city 9 times out of 10.

Poisoned Flint Michigan residents wouldn't.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

Well I did say me...what they choose is on them.

A
Legend
Legend
A

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/430072/flint-lead-water-scandal

From the article:
Quote:
Before the appointment of the (Democratic) emergency manager, Flint’s elected mayor and city council (Democrats) had decided to sever the city’s relationship with its drinking-water supplier, which was at the time the Detroit water authority.

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Not sure where you are looking but LLC income is definitely being taxed in Kansas.... If you have a single member LLC that is disregarded for federal and state income tax purposes the ultimate corporate owner will pay the Kansas income tax. If an individual is the owner, the individual will pay the tax. That's how it works with a federal tax return too. It is similar for any kind of partnership or S Corp. they are called pass through entities. Some states still slap LLCs with small fees but usually not.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yup, I own two LLC's and that's exactly how it works. Any leftover money (e.g. revenue) that is not distributed gets taxed at the owner level (me)

Not taxing LLC's is good. Why? Because it's hard enough to start a business without getting double taxed on top of it. We need to do whatever we can in this country to encourage small business ownership.

Last edited by gage; 02/13/16 03:23 AM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

A republican from Michigan is probably less conservative than the average democrat from Tennessee or South Carolina.. people should be careful how they toss those words around.

yebat' Putin
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Kansas tax collections $7M below expectations last month

Link Copied to Clipboard