Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:
A group of black and Hispanic high school students visiting Texas A&M University say they were harassed, taunted and told by white students they were not welcome to attend the university, according to Texas Sen. Royce West (D-23rd District).

West's office released a statement Thursday saying two black female high school juniors were part of a larger group touring the campus when they were approached by a white female Texas A&M student who asked the girls if they liked her earrings -- which were replicas of the Confederate flag.

Nearby, a group of white male and female students began harassing the larger group of 60 high school students by using racial epithets and telling them to "go back where you came from."

The group of students, from Dallas' Uplift Hampton Preparatory School, were visiting the campus as part of the school's Road To College at Uplift Education Program.

Jayla Alex-Johnson was one of about 60 juniors touring the campus.

“Some students were really upset about it," said Alex-Johnson.
Texas A&M President Michael Young on Harassment Report
Standing towards the back of the crowd, she could only hear some yelling. It was not until later that she learned exactly what was being said to her classmates.

“I hope that their attitude changes," Alex-Johnson said. "The way they think, the way they believe in everything.”

“I hope they catch those people and find out who it was and they kick them out of whatever,” said Anna Alvarenga, a parent of a student at Hampton Prep.

According to West, the confrontation was witnessed by TAMU officials accompanying the students. A campus police officer initially said the university students were expressing their First Amendment rights, though a report was made on the incident.

Teen Found Slain in West Texas Home, Residence Set on Fire
Following their tour, Alex-Johnson said TAMU officials met with students to discuss the incident and assure them that the behavior was not in line with the university's beliefs or ideals.

“They were really sincere," she explained. "And they couldn’t believe what happened, like neither of us could, and they just really apologized and told us that this shouldn’t be happening at their school.”

West said the incident is now being reviewed by executive leadership at the university, including Chancellor John Sharp.
"While high level meetings are taking place among A&M administrative, faculty and student leaders, those meetings need to produce results that say that overt acts of racism will not be tolerated anywhere within the university system," West said. "I expect a response that is swift and similar to those taken at the University of Oklahoma. The students responsible for these reprehensible actions should be strongly disciplined, if not expelled."

West implored action must be taken swiftly or the university runs the risk of damaging its credibility. West added that the university has a history of recruiting minority students from urban schools, has established outreach centers in Dallas and elsewhere and has made scholarship monies available to minority students.

"But actions such as what took place Tuesday can undo whatever good has been done. When those student's stories are told to parents and friends, they could undoubtedly, further the belief that the home of the Aggies has a campus environment that has been hostile to Black students; that is those who are not athletes," West said.

Michael K. Young, president of Texas A&M University, said in a statement released Wednesday he was outraged and tremendously disappointed in the behavior of his students and that "appropriate action will be taken."

"I deeply regret the pain and hurt feelings this incident caused these young students. Be assured that we take such allegations very seriously," Young said in a statement. "While the actions of a few certainly do not represent our institution as a whole, it is the responsibility of all of us to stop any incidents that could be considered hateful or biased-based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability or any other factor."

Scandal in TX Sheriff's Department After Deputy's Murder
Uplift Education released a statement Thursday afternoon saying they were "proud of our scholars for the grace and composure with which they responded to the college students who chose to engage in a disrespectful and unacceptable manner."

Uplift added they appreciated the swift response from university leadership and that they hope the incident can broaden the national conversation about inclusion and cultural awareness so that everyone can feel safe and welcome.

At this time, the students involved have not been identified by the university.

Link

Absolutely disgusting.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Black Lives Matter Mob Invades Dartmouth Library, Reportedly Harasses White Students Relentlessly: ‘F*** Your White Tears!’

Students studying at the Dartmouth College library were interrupted by a group of Black Lives Matter protesters who reportedly shouted, harassed and hurled profanities at white students.

The Dartmouth Review bi-weekly newspaper slammed the protesters for their “tactics, tone and words” used to stigmatize their own classmates.

The paper describes the so-called protest that ended up in the library:

Black-clad protesters gathered in front of Dartmouth Hall, forming a crowd roughly one hundred fifty strong. Ostensibly there to denounce the removal of shirts from a display in Collis, the Black Lives Matter collective began to sing songs and chant their eponymous catchphrase. Not content to merely demonstrate there for the night, the band descended from their high-water mark to march into Baker-Berry Library.

“F*** you, you filthy white f***s!” “F*** you and your comfort!” “F*** you, you racist s***!”

[…]

Throngs of protesters converged around fellow students who had not joined in their long march. They confronted students who bore “symbols of oppression”: “gangster hats” and Beats-brand headphones. The flood of demonstrators self-consciously overstepped every boundary, opening the doors of study spaces with students reviewing for exams. Those who tried to close their doors were harassed further. One student abandoned the study room and ran out of the library. The protesters followed her out of the library, shouting obscenities the whole way.

Students who refused to listen to or join their outbursts were shouted down. “Stand the f*** up!” “You filthy racist white piece of s***!” Men and women alike were pushed and shoved by the group. “If we can’t have it, shut it down!” they cried. Another woman was pinned to a wall by protesters who unleashed their insults, shouting “filthy white b****!” in her face.

One of the self-proclaimed protesters later confessed he was “ashamed” of what the Black Lives Matter demonstration turned into.

In a post on The Tab website, Charlie Lundquist claimed one protester made a girl cry and then shouted at her, “f*** your white tears!”

Campus Reform later posted a video of part of the library chaos:
Link

Absolutely disgusting from both races

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Sometimes I feel like all the focus on diversity in this country just helps divide us.

I've always felt that instead of celebrating what makes us different, we need to celebrate what we have in common.

As someone who hopes to have a mix child (or even better, children) sometime in the near future, I hope to teach my kid(s) to look past stereotypes. Looking past stereotypes that we put on people and stereotypes we put on ourselves. I don't want my child labeling themselves as Hispanic or White. The only label they need is "American".

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Quote:

Sometimes I feel like all the focus on diversity in this country just helps divide us.

I've always felt that instead of celebrating what makes us different, we need to celebrate what we have in common.

As someone who hopes to have a mix child (or even better, children) sometime in the near future, I hope to teach my kid(s) to look past stereotypes. Looking past stereotypes that we put on people and stereotypes we put on ourselves. I don't want my child labeling themselves as Hispanic or White. The only label they need is "American".

I agree with this.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
What is "American"? Technically, the first Americans were ones that got slaughtered, and Europeans took the title. Or, you could even go as far south as South America.

We're more than just "Americans". America should recognize itself as a salad bowl rather than a melting pot. A salad bowl with many diverse delicious layers; a melted down concoction that tastes the same is not this country. Embrace pluralism, y'all.

Acknowledge our diversity, and that means giving equal footing to all Americans. Not too sure why everyone gets nervous about diversity. My best experiences come from stepping out of my own comfort zone.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
These type of threads are useless. There is always a counter and what is really the point anyway? We know what goes on...from ALL races.

All groups have their "monsters". These threads are contentious and enflame otherwise level emotional thought.

Don't be color blind; acknowledge, respect and cultivate our differences and share in human commonalities.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
What is "American"? Technically, the first Americans were ones that got slaughtered, and Europeans took the title. Or, you could even go as far south as South America.

Oh, I agree. I'm just using a term for the lack of a better one. And those first Americans (who got slaughtered) are just as American as us. We're all one.

I'm just using the term though because we lack a better one. Because yes, I've always thought it silly that the USA has a monopoly on the word American as describing someone from their country. Not one country in Europe solely calls their citizens European.

I guess it's because our name is so long and other countries have all translated United States into equivalent words in their own languages.

Quote:
Acknowledge our diversity, and that means giving equal footing to all Americans. Not too sure why everyone gets nervous about diversity. My best experiences come from stepping out of my own comfort zone.

I understand how cool it is that we are such a diverse country. But folks do focus on it too much (whatever intention that they have in mind) and IMO it just divides us. It shouldn't be that way, but unfortunately, too many people in this country simply can't handle it.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Wow. Those first two posts are really disgusting.

Makes me wonder if over my lifetime as I began as a child with segregation and separate bathrooms and drinking fountains till today
have been a complete waste of energy.

We have always gained our strength as Americans from immigrants coming here from all over the world and after a generation or two, blending together as one people. The Melting Pot of people into a single Nation.

E pluribus unum "Out of many, one." The Motto of The United States.

Disheartening.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Until HATE stops being passed on to the next generation racism will continue.

Part of that is the BLAME GAME.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I'm not sure an acceptable counter argument exists to this situation. Not sure what these kids did to deserve such treatment like this.

These threads can end up as productive, but it takes a critical mind to look at these issues.

Legend
Legend

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I have no tolerance for racism whether it be from whites, blacks, or any other color of the rainbow. Skin color doesn't matter or at the least it shouldn't.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Rocket, this is why I miss Europe sometimes.

Nobody called me black, nobody called somebody white.

We were all idiot Americans in their eyes mi loved being called just an American.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
Rocket, this is why I miss Europe sometimes.

Nobody called me black, nobody called somebody white.

We were all idiot Americans in their eyes mi loved being called just an American.

That brings me back to the original point I had in a much earlier conversation. Europe has been mixed with many different colors forever. Personally, I believe if people would just try to overlook racial differences and attempt to be polite, this problem would be fixed in two generations. Call us all Americans, stop pushing a racial divide, and let us try to get along.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Another Tale In "Post-Racial America": Black High School Students Visiting Texas A&M University Harassed, Told to Go Home

Link Copied to Clipboard