Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cle23
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

The sheep are out in full force on this thread. Convincing themselves that this guy is the real deal because their sheep herder said to trust him.

It's funny, because w/all the qb conversations that dominated the discussion on this board, I don't remember you guys talking about Kessler at all. Not even in the last couple of rounds. There was one guy who brought him up, but he was quickly shot down. LOL

Point out one post where anyone said he was the "real deal." You always want everyone to prove it, and to not state their opinions as fact, so please, enlighten me where anyone said he is the "real deal." People think he can be a decent QB. Sure, he was drafted earlier than what most people thought he should be. So was Blake Bortles and now a lot of people see him as a franchise QB. Different situations, but so what if he was "overdrafted." We didn't take him early. He was our 5th selection of the draft.

Careful!

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
If that's your thing, go for it man, but I have to remind you, this is not a dating site.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I haven't had a chance to really pay attention, and honestly, I'm not sure I'd fully trust my own assessment, but... how quick is his release?

Does he get rid of the ball quick, or does he have a long, slow wind-up?

It's not that he has a slow release per say...

To me it like he is using a lot of his shoulder in his throw. The start of his throw comes out a little wider/further away from the body than normal or what I would like to see. Instead of going straight back and up, it's around and up.

It appears the mechanics are only a little wide/loose at the beginning of his throw. His arm tends to go further away from his body when he brings the ball back from his hand instead of keeping everything tight and compact.

The kid steps into his throws with good front knee bend.

I will be interested to see if the coaches make adjustments to his throw or not. Sometimes, the way a person throws, is the way they throw.

I'm going through a similar issue right now with my son. He changed the way he brings the ball back and tried to add more height to his release point and his accuracy took a major nose dive.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Vers,

I'm coming to the conclusion that Hue's plan isn't what I thought it was. I thought we were going to be throwing lots of deep balls. Now I'm not so sure. Pretty much all the receivers we drafted are guys with good run after the catch. I think we're going to be trying to misdirect opponents and get the ball out quickly and let playmakers make things happen. This could take some pressure off the O-Line in pass protection. The O-lineman we drafted is primarily a run blocker as is Bailey who we picked up in FA. I'm expecting lots of running, play action off that along with screens, and quick passes. It looks like we're going more horizontal stretch than vertical, but we did add some quick strike ability to keep teams relatively honest.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I'm not worried about How he throws, especially if he's accurate... but, I'm wondering more about release time. Like, from teh time he decides to throw, how long does it take for him to get the ball out, that sort of thing. Folks used to talk about how Weededn had this huge wind-up that gave defenders plenty of time to get a hand in his face and bat the ball down. QB's with a quicker release tend to do better... so, I'm wondering where this kid stacks up.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL...........that was pretty funny.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
his release time is quick and efficient.

again... I'm more worried about players smacking the ball away with the way he brings the ball up to throw it. The rest of his mechanics are pretty solid.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Here's another link, you can safely skip the first minute (ads)

Football Gameplan Cody Kessler Scouting Report Video

Some highlights:

They had him projected as QB #4 and a 3rd rounder back in February. Gave Andy Dalton as his pro comparison.

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Vers,I'm coming to the conclusion that Hue's plan isn't what I thought it was. I thought we were going to be throwing lots of deep balls. Now I'm not so sure. Pretty much all the receivers we drafted are guys with good run after the catch. I think we're going to be trying to misdirect opponents and get the ball out quickly and let playmakers make things happen. This could take some pressure off the O-Line in pass protection. The O-lineman we drafted is primarily a run blocker as is Bailey who we picked up in FA. I'm expecting lots of running, play action off that along with screens, and quick passes. It looks like we're going more horizontal stretch than vertical, but we did add some quick strike ability to keep teams relatively honest.
I don't think its all or none.
You can throw the ball deep a lot and also throw quick.
They brought in receivers that are good after the catch in Coleman, Louis and Payton. But, those same guys all run 4.4.

I think Hue and staff are going to build a complete offense which should contain all the elements you mentioned.

But, from watching Hue's offenses both in Cinci and Oakland especially I know 2 things: (1) Hue is gonna run the ball (2) Hue will throw it downfield off play-action.

Legend
Legend
Reading some 2015 articles on the Pac-10 QB's, and seems like Goff and Kessler were always mentioned together as 1-2, respectively.

Interesting to know that a Kessler led USC team was 3-0 vs. a Goff led Cal team.

Just more hope that maybe we got a good one. lol.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Reading some 2015 articles on the Pac-10 QB's, and seems like Goff and Kessler were always mentioned together as 1-2, respectively.

Interesting to know that a Kessler led USC team was 3-0 vs. a Goff led Cal team.

USC's talent is still ridiculous. Cal's is. . . not ridiculous.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Where do you think Kessler would have been picked if he was 6'3 or taller?

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
j/c

Here's another link, you can safely skip the first minute (ads)

Football Gameplan Cody Kessler Scouting Report Video

Some highlights:

They had him projected as QB #4 and a 3rd rounder back in February. Gave Andy Dalton as his pro comparison.

I like Emory Hunt, I disagree with him often. It's funny because I didn't agree with him on Carson Wentz. He said he was a 4th round pick and I thought he was a 2nd rounder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me8kI_yYqzc

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

Same.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

We will never know for sure. He will never be 6'3".

I will say this ... In retrospect we can say for certain that Russell Wilson's height played a role in dropping to the 3rd round of the 2012 draft.

[Linked Image]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Heck, I think MY life would have been different had I been 3-inches taller. grin

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Heck, I think MY life would have been different had I been 3-inches taller. grin

That and a 4.5 40 grin

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
If that's your thing, go for it man, but I have to remind you, this is not a dating site.
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwe LMAO

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just looked at some Kessler highlight films. I think his "arm strength" is fine. I put that in quotes because that evaluation come from throws where he, for one reason or another, had to make an arm throw. Those throws where all the velocity is generated from the arm not the body. On those throws, he actually gets pretty good velocity.

So why the criticism on arm strength? I believe it comes from a flaw in his throwing motion. Not sure I can adequately explain without demonstrating but I think he is inconsistent with his weight shift. Because of that, he ends up restricting his arm movement, artificially throwing across his body. I say artificially because he isn't throwing across his body but he creates the same effect. This results is significant loss of velocity. Watch the video that Grimm posted with this in mind and see if you can understand what I am trying to say.

The good thing about this is that it can easily be corrected. The bad thing is that this is so engrained at this point of his development that he will have a tendency to fall back into the bad habit. The maybe is, maybe this adds a lot of velocity to his throw, maybe it adds only a little.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ddubia

Mine to. I would have been able to look over the steering wheel instead of under it wink

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season 2016 NFL Draft Third Round Pick - QB Cody Kessler

Link Copied to Clipboard