Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
I'm not counting Corey Coleman in this question(who actually make a contribution this year)
I'm referring to the following players
Shelton
Irving
Gilbert
Mingo
This team continually loses cause it continues to draft
1st Rd failures.
Manziel..Richardson..Weeden..Taylor..
In a perfect Browns world the 1st 4 I mentioned play at
Elite levels from here on out.
3 of the 4 play on defense
This defense is in need of some real prime time playmakers.
Shelton Mingo Gilbert. Have any of those 3 made a meaningful play in their career?
Irving needs to play at a very high level cause the Browns
Were very soft up the middle last year.
QB pressures were a major issue.
What is going to determine these 4 players actually validate their 1st Rd selections ?

Legend
Legend
well, based on previous results I'd say no. We don't have the best track record (maybe the worst in NFL history) with #1 picks. Until it changes, I won't hold out hope.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
What's a contribution?

B
Legend
Legend
B
I think both Shelton and Irving are going to step up.

Mingo has been around long enough that a breakout isn't very realistic, but I believe it is a contract year. Many times guys want the next paycheck bump. If he does, I would let him walk. I wouldn't max out on his contract. I don't like players who only try when the contract is on the line.

Gilbert is hard to figure out. My hope is he somehow got goobered up by the last coaching staff and this one knows which buttons to push to get him playing as most projected he would.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
One thought I have is, Who Cares, because it's the TEAM that wins together, and it's the TEAM that loses together.

So if the TEAM can actually grow together, and step up together, and play well together, then maybe the TEAM will actually step up, and the TEAM will make an impact this year.

But, uh, that's how the good teams do it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
consistent coaching/front offices changes also has a heavy impact on this. I can't just blame the players.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Irving and Shelton might.. Shelton lost weight to be prepared.. Irving is at his projected position.

Mingo ... I doubt it.. but he needs to do it or he will be looking elsewhere, and I have not seen him do the job for much of anyone to want him. So it is do or die time for him.

Gilbert.. he has the talent.. his perception of good play is not the same as everyone else's. Last year he thought he played a perfect game when every fan and coach thought he sucked. He needs to realize what good play is and do it consistently.

I think Coleman will live up to a rookie 1st round rating. Ogbah ( draft pick # 32 ) is needed.. but remains to be seen if he will start, but should be in the rotation. I expect time will tell with him.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
I think Coleman will come on slowly, simply because Baylor never asked him to develop as a route runner. That will take some time.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Phil Taylor

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Phil Taylor

shocked

Legend
Legend
Taylor was a 1st round pick. He is healed up after taking last season off. He has been on Denvers roster since February, so yep Phil Taylor. That's my story and I'm sticking to it wink

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will a 1st Rd draft pick actually step up and make a impact this year?

Link Copied to Clipboard