Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't watch much of the night games at all... I understand they want the West Coast Fans to get a chance to see the game.

But us East folk Fans have to work in the mornings.. (most) so we don't always get to see the important part of the game which is the ending..depending on the score of course.

I'm losing interest mostly due to what the players are getting paid.. the fans having to pay, and seeing pro's who don't know how to play the basics of the game.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think there are quite a few people who feel the same way you do. Thanks for staying on topic and actually contributing to the discussion, rather than trying to derail it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
they cracked down on Kicking balls... they don't get the same type of love that a normal football gets. they are basically clean out of the package

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was going to start a thread on it's own on this..then remembered this thread and this is another reason why the Ratings are down in the NFL imo.

Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews may have knocked Chicago Bears quarterback Brian Hoyer out of the teams’ Thursday night game on Oct. 20, impacting one of the Packers’ biggest rivals, but it also cost him.

Matthews has been fined $18,231 for the hit that broke Hoyer’s left arm, after the NFL determined Matthews led with the crown of his helmet on the play. He was not flagged for the hit during the game. link

Clay wasn't even flagged... What the hell is Godawful thinking ? smh !

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
He probably got fined because he led w/his helmet.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
looking at the pic..Clays feet are on the ground..his body is pretty much in an upright position.

Maybe he could have lowered his shoulders and hit Hoyer in the ribs breaking those.. That would be acceptable correct ?

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah. You just can't lead w/your helmet.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...
I think the lower ratings for the NFL of course probably not on thing alone. But I think a big portion of it is the Big Time hit the NFL took with the concussion stuff. The liberal media who wants all to watch Soccer not Football came down hard on Football of all levels after the movie came out. The casual fan decided to pay attention elsewhere.

But football is now in the ranks of the POLITICAL CORRECT police as something EVIL and bad.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was reading a report that they did a poll, and the biggest reason was guys like Kaepernick disrespecting the National Anthem. Other things were too many commercials and the length of the game.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How do you not lead with your helmet.. when I tackled i lowered my head and hit the guy with my shoulder pads. But my head was out in front of my shoulders...

Is that not leading with your helmet... or should it be no helmet contact first. It also appears Hoyer got pushed into Clay...By his own team mate.

Legend
Legend
I agree with those who say that they've alienated the base core of fans by trying to attract more viewers who weren't interested in the product in the first place. The feel good and political side stories are a complete turnoff to the loyal fan. The cheating, favoritism and dirty play by the popular players/teams getting slaps on the wrist is a real turnoff also. I'm sick of the biased calls, watching qb after qb of ours get blasted in the head and nothing done about it because it was James Harrison, Ndomakong Suh or Vontaze Burfict and the qb played for Cleveland. The bs defensive holding calls on our db's (not quite so bad this year...probably because they're not close enough to hold). This happens to other teams also when they're playing the Pats, Steelers, Seahawks, etc.

The killer call that convinced me that things are askew was that game a few years ago where Pittsburgh was awarded a first down when there was clearly a few inches of chain between the nose of the ball and the flag.

The NFL is clearly biased toward the popular teams, pandering to the bandwagon type folks vs. the hardcore fans. It seems that they're willing to accept the ebbs and flows of this type of customer base vs. the steady, linear income that appealing to the core would provide.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
JC

I'm actually paying way more attention to the NBA than the NFL now.

it's just way more entertaining, and i actually like football more than basketball.

this is just my opinion, but Richard Sherman is right: the NFL wants these players to be robots. they are trying to take the emotion out of the game. they are making rules that take the big hits out of the game, one of the many reasons it attracted such a huge fan base in the first place.

the NBA season just started, and it's already way more fun to watch.

The players are allowed to celebrate. the bench antics every time a nasty dunk or crossover happens is absolutely hilarious to watch. the players just have so much crazy fun while playing, more fan interactions.

and the biggest thing of all: the players and coaches control the tempo. not the refs. the only way to stop a run is to call a TO. the refs aren't holding up the play on the field allowing teams to set up their defense.

and the way the NBA markets their players is simply way better than the NFL. the Curry and Lebron commercials are absolutely inspiring.

the NBA focuses on the players. the NFL is trying to focus on the team from a marketing standpoint. the NBA is way easier to have the drama.

GS Warriors are the villain. the Cavs are the hero's. people tune in just to see Durant and Curry. they tune in just to see what nasty crossover Kyrie is gonna do on some poor defender.

so for me, the drama, the characters, the pace of the game is just so much better in the NBA than the NFL.

and it didn't use to be like that. the NFL had all the action, drama, villains and hero's. now....they just seem like robots. it's just kind of boring.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
S
Legend
Legend
S
It's a lot of reasons, but it's the over-saturation of the game. The NFL has games on 3 days a week, every week. I just don't understand.

Nobody likes Thursday games. Nobody wants to play to them, people don't want to go to them, but it's an inflow of money that they probably don't want to see go away.

I also don't understand the matchups. I get that they want everyone to play on a Thursday night, but Tennessee/Jacksonville? Really?

Monday night football hardly gets good matchups any more.

I think the NFL's biggest problem is that it's the league of the haves and the have nots. If you don't have a good quarterback, your team is probably not even worth watching. I get that Denver is doing their thing this year without great QB play but that is the exception.

I think the constant injuries to players is also a turn off.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
i/c:

Some pretty good takes.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Why Are NFL Ratings Down?

Link Copied to Clipboard