Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
j/c

to me, after seeing some highlights, it seems like our DL is basically invisible. I can't remember the last time Cooper, Meder, Nassib, etc had their name called or made a big play.

we get stonewalled at the line, never seem go deflect a pass, and rarely get in the backfield

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
j/c

to me, after seeing some highlights, it seems like our DL is basically invisible. I can't remember the last time Cooper, Meder, Nassib, etc had their name called or made a big play.

we get stonewalled at the line, never seem go deflect a pass, and rarely get in the backfield

This is why Allen of Alabama intrigues me. Our natural 3-4 DE's suck badddddddd.... I know we won't get allen, but we better be scouting some good 3-4 DE's.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The only go who shows up is shelton.

Shelton kirksey have been the only consistent players on defense.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: Swish

I loved when Shelton shoved Ben back to the ground. Should have been a penalty, but I like the fire - beat him up like they were doing to our QB's. We need more players like that.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
From what I see. Ever since Bitonio left the OL cohesion has gone south. I think we have too many making line calls rather than relying on Erving to make them solely and Erving just is not capable to make them himself. So we have multiple guys making line calls out there.

Also there are two people designated to signify the blitz teams are overloading and we do not adjust to them at all. We have no creative traps or anything just a basic pass Pro and the RB cannot handle an elite pass rusher coming from 9 tech at full speed. Also the QBs and it baffles me when McCown doesn't pick up the blitz and go to a hot read...they both stand there holding the ball and expect the RB to take care of them...Also there has to be a call for the blitz and for our WRs to change their routes. I think this is a lack of leadership from our 2 QBs one because a lack of experience...for the life of me I don't know McCowns deal. Although he came to us with the reputation of not handling the blitz...I remember that.

So its a combo of things.
Continuity on the OL and playing like a unit.
A lack of leadership for blocking calls by Erving and the QBs. A lack of recognition from the QBs to make the proper adjustments to off set blitzes and beat them.
Just a note...Wentz is way ahead of both our QBs in that regard. I don't know who his College Coach was but he did a heck of a job.
Hope I answered some of your questions.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: columbusdawg
Originally Posted By: Swish

I loved when Shelton shoved Ben back to the ground. Should have been a penalty, but I like the fire - beat him up like they were doing to our QB's. We need more players like that.

I would have liked it a lot better if he would have shoved Ben to the ground before the play was pretty much over

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
j/c

This is why Allen of Alabama intrigues me. Our natural 3-4 DE's suck badddddddd.... I know we won't get allen, but we better be scouting some good 3-4 DE's.
I agree. Sometimes a dominant DL can mask A LOT of stuff behind it. Honestly, at this point I'd take Allen too.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
j/c

It seems like for the last 15 or so years, we've been talking about finding some pass-rushing DE's for our 3-4 defense, but those guys must be like unicorns because we never seem able to do it. We draft 4-3 DE's and try to make them OLB's, and subsequently suck at both DE and OLB. We take guys like Courtney Brown, Kam Wimbley, Jabaal Sheard, Barkevious Mingo who were used to playing with a hand in the dirt and getting after the QB, and we ask them to stand up and maybe rush the passer or maybe drop into coverage in the flat - while still maintaining leverage at the edge. It has never worked.

So I wonder for the 50th time ... why not switch to a 4-3 if a 3-4 is so hard to populate with capable players? I know I'd rather watch a mediocre 4-3 than a horrible 3-4. I really wish some with more knowledge of schemes and responsibilities of the players in both kinds of defenses would start a thread talking about the pros and cons of the two, because in my (probably) over-simplified point of view you need so many physical freaks to run a good 3-4 that it becomes near impossible. At least for us ...

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
im hoping erving goes down with a small bang up or his wrath gets the better of him. i wanna see a better line and he is the weak...not even link

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 9 Steelers 24 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard