Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Simple question: Do you think that businesses should force their employees to work on Thanksgiving, or should they be closed so that their employees can spend the day with their families?

Should Businesses Open On Thanksgiving?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 11/21/16 08:24 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I voted no.

Everyone should be able to spend this day with their families. Arguing like everyone else.

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
My wife gets into this so bad it pains me.

She'll leave our get together early, so she (and she has Sooga geared into this "shopping" thing)......so she can leave the house at 3 a.m.

To spend money. On things that will be there the next day, and the next week. She gets her kicks out of doing it.

I'll hang with family - or what's left of family - on Thursday.

For the first time in I don't know how long, I won't be working Friday. As of now, that is.

Remember the reason for the season: And my wife is all "let's screw up one holiday so we can say we were shopping for the next holiday."

I hate it. Just me.

Legend
Legend
No... I'm cool with a place being open early... But every place should be closed by 2:00 in my opinion... I hate shopping stores open that night...

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
No. I will not shop at places that do not value the family.

Legend
Legend
Well, I work in a hospital. I don't have to work holidays anymore, but my fellow nurses, doctors and ancillary staff do. For some, there's no choice.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I think it should not be forced. If an employee says they will, that's their prerogative.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
All stores should be closed on Thanksgiving, and on Christmas.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
for the most part I agree, at least in terms of retail/department stores. But as someone who's quickly needed medicine, I'm glad some have been open

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I don't know why some stay open. They can't be earning that much of a profit to justify it.

Legend
Legend
With Black Friday now starting on Thursday, they are all just trying to beat the competition to get those early dollars first. Walmart is opening at 6:00PM to start their version of black friday. So now those trying to save some money for Christmas are forced to choose to go stand in a line giving up their Thanksgiving or giving up on a potential deal.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stores wouldn't open if it wasn't warranted. It's not the fault of the retailer...it's the consumer pushing it.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DawgMichelle
Stores wouldn't open if it wasn't warranted. It's not the fault of the retailer...it's the consumer pushing it.

Yup and it's a free country...for now. Free enterprise and all you know. Maybe they will hire more immigrants who don't give a squat about Thanksgiving. Maybe they'll all hire a bunch puritans from England who think the church of England is beyond fixing.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Not all store owners/workers are Christians or naturalized citizens.

Forcing stores to close on Thanksgiving is unconstitutional and forcing a religion/religious holiday on a business is also unconstitutional.

On the other hand many posters here claim public servants have religious exemptions from doing a part of their job under the guise of so-called "conscience clauses". And they agree that these Public servants that have trampled over the rights of the people they took an a oath to serve is OK with it. So I'll go away now. tongue

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
E
Legend
Legend
E
All families are different and they should do whatever works for them. I havent had a day off since 2009 and that is fine with me since that is what it takes to run my business. I dont mind that I will work on Thanksgiving. It wont be much work but it still has to be done.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Not all store owners/workers are Christians or naturalized citizens.

No really I never would have known that. Thanks for setting me straight. Has anybody seen Benny Hinn I need him to smack me in the forehead and heal my wretched soul. poke

Quote:
Forcing stores to close on Thanksgiving is unconstitutional and forcing a religion/religious holiday on a business is also unconstitutional.

Umm excuse me Mr Perfect. My eyesite must be way, way worse than I thought. I looked every place and I can't find where I said that ANYBODY should be forced to close. Maybe you could point out for me and for others just where I said that. Thanks in advance. grin

Oh and just when did Thanksgiving become a religious holiday?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think attitudes like Perfect's are a big reason why Trump won the election and Hillary lost.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Well, I work in a hospital. I don't have to work holidays anymore, but my fellow nurses, doctors and ancillary staff do. For some, there's no choice.

Well yeah, my factory is running 364 1/2 days per year, and that half day it's not running is 12 of the busiest hours all year... but the point is for people who don't have a NEED to be open at that time, just to creep ahead a little bit of huge sales. It's not the best way to show your employees they matter to you I think.

Legend
Legend
In the question you used the phrase "force their employees to work".. which is my problem. I don't care if they are open, I'm not going shopping but if they want to be open, have at it. But the thought of them telling some low level employee, who really doesn't have a lot of employment options, that if they aren't there for 10 hours on Thanksgiving that they are fired is what bothers me.

So my answer to the question, in parts, is:

1. I don't care if they are open.
2. I'm not going shopping.
3. If somebody wants to work, they should obviously be allowed.
4. No non-essential workers should be forced to spend the holiday away from family if they don't want to.
5. I would make the same accommodations for those who observe other religious holidays throughout the year as well.

yebat' Putin
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I have a gas station near my house that is owned by a Middle Eastern family. I wasn't even thinking when I stopped last year the day after Christmas and said something like "How was your Christmas?", and he answered that he worked. I said that sucked, and he said "It's OK, because my family doesn't celebrate Christmas". In that case, it's perfectly fine. I have, however, known other people from that part of the world who did celebrate Christmas, not as a religious holiday, but as a family holiday, and I would not like for them to be forced into working instead of spending the day with their families.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
i also hate capitalism.

Legend
Legend
We know.

#GMSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus Stores Open On Thanksgiving