Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
I have a suggestion that would likely make the "Everything Else" subforum more enjoyable: merge all the redundant political threads into one megathread. Rinse and repeat every ten pages.

As it stands, there are a handful of posters who make thread after thread with their gripes about the Trump administration. I don't mind discussing these things-- I post in the threads frequently-- but it is hard to follow them all independently and they tend to drown out the non political threads. It would be easier to discuss most of these things in one place, IMO. Exceptions could be made for unusually important issues, or ones that are only tangentially related.

Just for reference, these are the political threads (and original posters) on page one of that forum right now:

James Mattis (Spiral)
Michael Flynn (PDX)
Trump's statements (OCD)
Steve Bannon (Rocket)
Labor Secretary Puzder (Spiral)
Kellyanne Conway (OCD)
Valentine's day - Trump/Putin picture (Swish)
YouTube climate channel temporarily deleted (OCD)
James Mattis #2 (Rocket)
North Korean shenanigans (Spiral)
One China policy (Swish)

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I have merged a number of threads if they are of a similar subject. Just because something happens to be political, doesn't mean it is redundant as a subject. I have allowed some leeway given this particular election and the outcome. I'm hoping it calms down a bit. If it doesn't, we may make some changes. However, one political "megathread" is not reasonable, nor is it a good idea on a message board.

H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Referee 3
I have merged a number of threads if they are of a similar subject. Just because something happens to be political, doesn't mean it is redundant as a subject. I have allowed some leeway given this particular election and the outcome. I'm hoping it calms down a bit. If it doesn't, we may make some changes. However, one political "megathread" is not reasonable, nor is it a good idea on a message board.

Good points, and yeah, having one "megathread" is taking things too far the other direction.

Anyway it was just an idea I had. Keep up the good work. I know there are some strong personalities in these threads (self included) and managing what is and isn't acceptable is not so easy.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
That thread would be YUGE!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
I wish that we could have a "Politics" forum. That way, those who want to argue the same points ad infinitum can do so, and those who do not can simply not go to that forum.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I wish that we could have a "Politics" forum. That way, those who want to argue the same points ad infinitum can do so, and those who do not can simply not go to that forum.

I tend to agree. Even though this is a Browns message board, it was never strictly football...even when it was on the official site. It sure seems that there's enough political content to warrant a dedicated forum. It's actually hard to find something that's not political on the EE forum. Of the 50 thread topics on the first page, only 8 are not political topics, and 2 of those threads devolved into something political. I think there's a need for a forum where someone can go for friendly, "everything else" discussion without being drug into controversial political/social issues.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I tend to agree. Even though this is a Browns message board, it was never strictly football...even when it was on the official site. It sure seems that there's enough political content to warrant a dedicated forum. It's actually hard to find something that's not political on the EE forum. Of the 50 thread topics on the first page, only 8 are not political topics, and 2 of those threads devolved into something political. I think there's a need for a forum where someone can go for friendly, "everything else" discussion without being drug into controversial political/social issues.

Time was when I would wade into any and every political discussion, but so many have become so completely ridiculous that I just can't deal with them anymore.

I agree that EE should be the friendlier forum, where we can discuss all kinds of topics, allow new people to introduce themselves, etc. Let politics be politic, but let politics, police stories, articles on war, etc., all head off into a politics forum. I would enjoy the board a lot more if I didn't have to dig through 20 or 30 threads that I just don't want to read.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I would say that once a subject is plumbed, once everybody has had their say and it just turns into a relatively small group of individuals repeating already-made points, you should lock it up. No need to run 10 pages of noise, just let those who care have their say and then kill it. This stuff might be interesting, but certainly not endlessly so.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
I would say that once a subject is plumbed, once everybody has had their say and it just turns into a relatively small group of individuals repeating already-made points, you should lock it up. No need to run 10 pages of noise, just let those who care have their say and then kill it. This stuff might be interesting, but certainly not endlessly so.

This would just trigger new threads to created, adding to the "noise" and clutter of the board in general - in the end, it won't accomplish much at all. It's easier to just ignore a thread when you've decided you're done with it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fan Feedback Forum Political Containment Thread

Link Copied to Clipboard