Next Thread
Print Thread
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Thought this was very interesting and explains in general our process. Also some info on some players.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Road-to-the-Draft-What%E2%80%99s-happening-now-in-Berea-and-why-it-matters-for-Combine/94b2c321-c703-47c9-b779-da50ca3cdd75

Last edited by eotab; 02/17/17 10:34 AM.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
hmmm why didn't that turn out right???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Road to the Draft: What’s happening now in Berea and why it matters for Combine

A weekly look at everything you need to know leading up to the draft

Welcome to the second edition of Road to the Draft, a weekly column that will cover it all as the Browns march toward the final week of April, when they have the opportunity to make the No. 1 overall pick and five of the top 65 selections.

We’re back in action today with a look behind the scenes at what’s been happening inside the Browns facility in Berea and why it matters for the big event at the end of the month.
At the end of January, the Browns’ scouting department, front office and coaches came together for a productive, busy week in Mobile, Alabama, for the 2017 Senior Bowl. About a week or so later, those same scouts, who are spread from coast to coast with many living in different corners of the country, converged on Berea for two of the most important weeks of the year when it pertains to the draft.

For hours on end over a two-week stretch, the team’s scouts, coaches and other members of the player personnel department huddle inside the team’s Draft Room to discuss hundreds and hundreds of college prospects. The scout assigned to the player’s area leads the presentation and the group goes one by one in tedious fashion, making sure what one scout saw matched what the other did. If they didn’t, the floor opens for discussion and the player’s tape is analyzed.

“We're encouraged to have discussions and disagree with each other,” said Zac Bocian, a longtime Browns scout who resides in San Francisco. “We end up with a consensus that allows everyone to speak and be heard.

“We put on the game tape. If there’s a discrepancy and one person thinks X about one player and another thinks Y, then we put it on the video and there’s the answer. It allows us to put in an additional amount of time and an additional amount of work to make sure we’re feeling comfortable with the player in the end.”

The discussions are lengthy and encompass every player the Browns could possibly consider with their picks, ranging from the No. 1 overall pick to the team’s final selection in the seventh round. They’ll also serve as a guide for the players they’ll target after the draft in free agency, an important and often overlooked part of the player acquisition process that has netted valuable contributors such as Isaiah Crowell, Dominique Alexander and Tracy Howard in recent years.

It’s a vital step in the process and, ultimately, necessary before the upcoming Scouting Combine. The evaluations of the prospects for what they did as football players provide context and set expectations for how he’ll perform in the numerous Combine drills. It also identifies areas to cross-check in Indianapolis, whether it be a player’s injury history or off-the-field question marks.

Teams are limited to interviewing 60 players for 15 minutes apiece throughout the week in Indianapolis. The decisions of whom to interview and the strategy for those rapid-fire sessions are largely made during a stretch most fans view as one of the slowest times of the year in the NFL.

“We really want to understand the players,” Bocian said, “from all angles.”

First Five

Earlier today, the NFL released its full list of invitations to the 2017 Scouting Combine. It’s a big one -- 330 big. It’s a cold, hard fact that not all of the players who are invited will be drafted in late April, but the odds are in their favor. And it’s not a guarantee that the players who went uninvited will go undrafted -- it happens all the time -- but the odds are simply better if you’re selected to go through the gauntlet in Indianapolis. With that in mind, here’s a look at the notable exclusions from this year’s list.

LB Jordan Evans (Oklahoma) - The Sooners’ leading tackler in 2017 will have to impress NFL teams at his Pro Day. Over four seasons, Evans (6-2, 233) compiled 286 tackles and five interceptions.

QB Chad Kelly (Ole Miss) - He was one of the top signal-callers in the country through the first half of 2016 but a knee injury cut it short and prevented him from participating in any physical activities at last month’s Senior Bowl. There are also off-the-field questions for Kelly, who is the nephew of Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly.

OL Erik Magnuson (Michigan) - The Wolverines tied the Combine record with 14 players in this year’s crop, but the All-Big Ten tackle wasn’t among them. He made 37 starts over three seasons at Michigan and was simply one of the best at right tackle in his conference over the past two years.

QB Antonio Pipkin (Tiffin) - An invitation to the Senior Bowl doesn’t guarantee a trip to the Combine, and that’s ultimately what happened to the Division II star. Pipkin had an up and down week in Mobile and will miss out on the opportunity for further exposure at an event such as the Combine.

WR Chad Williams (Grambling) - The 6-foot-1, 204-pound FCS star appeared to impress on the South team at the Senior Bowl but it wasn’t enough to land a combine invite. Williams, though, got some quality time in front of scouts at both the Shrine Bowl and Senior Bowl.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...79-da50ca3cdd75

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
So our scouts operate like the draft forum? Great. I hope they talk about more than 5 prospects.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Thats too bad for Pipkin and Williams, they both flashed at the Senior Bowl.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
So our scouts operate like the draft forum? Great. I hope they talk about more than 5 prospects.

A buddy of mine, was an intern for the browns scouting department. He told me one of his jobs was to watch all the snaps of one guy and record how long it took to get out of his stance.

Literally every last snap lol.

A
Legend
Legend
A
And I'll bet the pay was terrible.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Lurker
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

A buddy of mine, was an intern for the browns scouting department. He told me one of his jobs was to watch all the snaps of one guy and record how long it took to get out of his stance.

Literally every last snap lol.

I'd totally do that (and other similar tasks) as a job. Dead serious. I'd hope it would progress to more stuff, but I'd get a kick out of that.

Tackles are tackles.
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
I think i would be bored out of my mind lol.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

Pay?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Intern

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

Pay?

The Browns do pay at least some of their interns.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Got to know WHO you can trust doing unpleasant, but necessary job....wonder if guy/gal actually timed every snap....wonder if anyone talked to Gilbert....why do we miss on so many draft picks....details, all in the details....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
None of the guys who drafted Gilbert are still employed by the Browns. I hate to keep reiterating that, but the fans need to stop bringing up the previous front offices. They're gone, what they did when here cannot be used as a measuring tool for this front office.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Doing their due Diligence in Berea.

Link Copied to Clipboard