Print Thread
Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Four teams meet with Joe Mixon on eve of Pro Day workout

Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2017, 10:58 PM EST

Getty Images
Former Oklahoma running back Joe Mixon didn’t face a gauntlet of NFL teams at the Scouting Combine. He encountered a more limited collection of them on Tuesday night.

Aditi Kinkhabwala of NFL Network reports that the Lions, Saints, Bengals, and Browns each met with Mixon in Oklahoma on the eve of his Wednesday Pro Day workout.

Of course, meeting with Mixon doesn’t necessarily mean a team will be drafting him. Maybe they didn’t like what they heard. Or maybe they want to do their homework in the event he slips through four or five rounds and is available at a value position.

The real work begins after the Pro Day, when Mixon begins traveling to team facilities for more extensive visits aimed at breaking through talking points and getting to the real guy. Along the way, any team that considers Mixon needs to consider the potential P.R. backlash that would come both locally and nationally from drafting him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ro-day-workout/

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C

Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That's a pretty brutal attack.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
i really, really don't want us to draft him

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I"m surprised. Hue and company have been pretty adamant about acquiring players with clean backgrounds (at least thats what they said last year)

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
I"m surprised. Hue and company have been pretty adamant about acquiring players with clean backgrounds (at least thats what they said last year)

Hopefully they're just doing their due diligence and checking all the boxes...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
We gotta avoid this guy.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Unacceptable, first time watching it. I'm sorry, but WHY are we even taking the time to meet with this loser?

V
Legend
Legend
V
What is it w/the Browns? Art Briles. Greg Williams. Taking time to interview Mixon.

Sheesh!

E
Legend
Legend
E
I would like to know more of that situation that happened. Clearly the female assaulted Mixon first...legally he is not liable.

Probably a 4th round steal???

jmho - does he have a history? or is this a one time occurrence?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
There's no doubt the female took the initiative and shoved him first. However, he clearly was in zero danger. Threat level very minimum, at best. He could've took many different routes, all of which wouldn't have involved blasting her.

If he was there in the 7th round, I'd say who else is available... don't want nothing to do with that sort of person.

This is all JMO.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Not supporting his REACTION...just saying legally he is in the right. What was the full situation. Was the female conducting illegal activity? Just drunk? Again if this is not a history of Mixon then I can see taking a shot at him.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: eotab
Not supporting his REACTION...just saying legally he is in the right. What was the full situation. Was the female conducting illegal activity? Just drunk? Again if this is not a history of Mixon then I can see taking a shot at him.

jmho

Oh, I definitely know you're not supporting his reaction bro. I would hope that no one would. I have the time this morning, so here's what I was able to gather.

Apparently, the girl's friend had said something racial in nature. Mixon responded with some "gay" remarks towards her friend. Things escalated.

As for his history, I really only could find some minor things. THe most major being he tore up a parking ticket right in front of the parking attendant. He served a single game suspension for this.

I'd still pass, the female thing and etc would just bring too much negativity and etc. Plus, it doesn't fit the mold, whatsoever, of the type of players they targeted in last year's draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

jmho

Take a look into it. There's two sides to the story. FYI, the guy the woman is with is a homosexual and she says that Mixon and his buddies were harassing them (on their way into the shop). They went into the shop to get away from them. Mixon's side says that the guy called him the N-Word, then he called him the gay slur, then she shoved him, then he lunged at her, then she hit him, and then he hit her.

She says there was a confrontation before she went into the shop, he followed her in there. Something happens, she initiates contact, and he punches her in the face.

There were many ways out of the situation. If they were in an argument, why'd he follow her to the shop?

I don't care whether about the legality of anything in this matter. It's a moral issue. Many times the two don't match. What he did was morally reprehensible. I'd rather not have the guy on our team

Here's an article that takes both sides into account. I think a posted a link to a better one on it earlier. Not sure

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...hing-woman-2014

There's always two sides to a story of course, and often it's somewhere in the middle. Here's also a story about the effects it had on the woman.

http://deadspin.com/woman-punched-by-joe-mixon-almost-immediately-i-was-1783820195

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

Hopefully they're just doing their due diligence and checking all the boxes...

U mean like they did last year with Dak? ...

This FO is BRUTAL ..

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

jmho

Take a look into it. There's two sides to the story. FYI, the guy the woman is with is a homosexual and she says that Mixon and his buddies were harassing them (on their way into the shop). They went into the shop to get away from them. Mixon's side says that the guy called him the N-Word, then he called him the gay slur, then she shoved him, then he lunged at her, then she hit him, and then he hit her.

She says there was a confrontation before she went into the shop, he followed her in there. Something happens, she initiates contact, and he punches her in the face.

There were many ways out of the situation. If they were in an argument, why'd he follow her to the shop?

I don't care whether about the legality of anything in this matter. It's a moral issue. Many times the two don't match. What he did was morally reprehensible. I'd rather not have the guy on our team

Here's an article that takes both sides into account. I think a posted a link to a better one on it earlier. Not sure

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...hing-woman-2014

There's always two sides to a story of course, and often it's somewhere in the middle. Here's also a story about the effects it had on the woman.

http://deadspin.com/woman-punched-by-joe-mixon-almost-immediately-i-was-1783820195

There's one side to this story ...

U DONT HIT WOMEN ...

End of story ...

P
Legend
Legend
P

U DONT HIT WOMEN ...

End of story ...

+1 thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Was watching ESPN this morning as I was getting my truck serviced and they talked about Mixon a good deal. Herm Edwards said he wouldn't touch the guy and in another segment of the show Bill Polian said he thinks Mixon could possibly go late 1st rnd or early 2nd rnd. if a team owner signs off on the pick.

Personally I wouldn't touch the guy. If you watch the video closely it looks like after she pushes him that he spits in her face and that is why she slaps him.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
C
Legend
Legend
C
Bill Polian has been completely off the reservation lately. Like to the point where I wonder if he is okay mentally.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would like to know more of that situation that happened. Clearly the female assaulted Mixon first...legally he is not liable.

Probably a 4th round steal???

jmho - does he have a history? or is this a one time occurrence?
Here is a quote from the first story linked by Petey;

"Norman police detective David Freudiger told Mixon that Molitor's version of events were that Mixon and some of his teammates begin harassing Molitor and her friend, because the friend is gay, and that they went into the sandwich shop to evade the situation.

Mixon went inside the sandwich shop. In the surveillance video, Mixon turned away, but he appeared to say something to Molitor's friend. Molitor pushed Mixon. He lunged at her. She slapped him. Then he punched her, which caused her face to slam back into a table."

In the video we don't hear what is said, but Mixon appears to make an aggressive movement towards her friend. She shoved him. That was the first physical event. It doesn't appear to be intended to hurt him, but to push him away. Are you calling that an assault? I am police, and I don't. If I'm the responding officer, I listen to the story, and watch this video tape, and I arrest him 10 times out of 10.

I highlighted in red where the story says he lunged at her. Look at the video. He clearly spit in her face. That is, by far, a more serious event than a shove. She slapped him as a reaction to the spit. He punched her so hard it broke bones in her face.

You said he's not legally liable. I strongly disagree.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
There is no defense for what he did.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

U DONT HIT WOMEN ...

End of story ...

Just wanna make it clear. I agree completely. And i've been clocked, close fisted by women before, and I never retaliated.

I just wanted to say that there's often two sides to a sequence of events that leads up to what Mixon did (which in no way was right, no matter what)

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
NO WAY do I want this guy on my team. Just imagine it from the POV of all the other players in the locker room who have wives, daughters, and girl friends, what are they suppose to think if he's drafted here. Having to be in a locker next to him. Don't know how I could deal with it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I highlighted in red where the story says he lunged at her. Look at the video. He clearly spit in her face. That is, by far, a more serious event than a shove. She slapped him as a reaction to the spit. He punched her so hard it broke bones in her face.

Yeah, but if women want equality. . .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
And i've been clocked, close fisted by women before...

Then you really need to change your opening (pickup) line... naughtydevil

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
O
Legend
Legend
O
Spitting was the first thing I thought when I saw the video. While I'm not so sure it's obviously that (could just be a lunge) as it's hard to tell in the video.

The guy is a turd. I get that his talent is so tempting, and he'll be there for the picking, we don't need that. Crow is good enough, and we'll get someone else without the baggage.

Hitting a female like that is the obvious 'wtf' moment, but also, who spits on people? I could never wrap my head around that.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
I know that is how most of us were brought up and I never hit a women.

But what do you do when the woman doesn't act like a Woman but instead a thug. I don't know how I would have reacted, I know once I was slapped in the face really for nothing and was just pretty much in shock and just walked away.

But this was more of an attack not one slap...Younger and strong I would think just restraining the person would do the trick not slug them. Anyways as I said as long this isn't an ongoing thing with him...he has no violent history.

I'd give the 2nd chance...now do I want the kid...ehhh its a strong RB class. Only for an outright STEAL. 4th or 5th round.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

C
Legend
Legend
C
But what do you do when the woman doesn't act like a Woman but instead a thug.

Good question.

Punching them is not one of the answers.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But this was more of an attack not one slap...
Seriously EO, re-watch the video. Her shove, while forceful, was not harmful. She shoved him away while he was being a jerk to her and her friend. THEN HE SPIT IN HER FACE!!! Watch it. You are talking like he was just standing there, minding his own business and she attacked him without provocation.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
D
Legend
Legend
D
Bro ... I don't care what a women does me ... I'm not hitting her ...

If she kicks me in the nuts ... I crawl away in tears if need be ... but I NEVER EVER hit a women ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I know that is how most of us were brought up and I never hit a women.

But what do you do when the woman doesn't act like a Woman but instead a thug. I don't know how I would have reacted, I know once I was slapped in the face really for nothing and was just pretty much in shock and just walked away.

But this was more of an attack not one slap...Younger and strong I would think just restraining the person would do the trick not slug them. Anyways as I said as long this isn't an ongoing thing with him...he has no violent history.

I'd give the 2nd chance...now do I want the kid...ehhh its a strong RB class. Only for an outright STEAL. 4th or 5th round.

You should stop. Seriously. You are making yourself look bad.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
This guy shouldn't even get an interview...he is complete trash....you don't want a cancer like this on your team.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
In general, RBs are a dime-a-dozen and very few are worth a high draft pick. The Adrian Petersons and Zeke Elliots of the world are the game changing exceptions.

Mixon is not that type of generational talent. You can find plenty of other guys with similar ability without the PR headache.

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted Dede Westbrook because of this meeting.

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Browns and 3 others meet with Mixon

Link Copied to Clipboard