Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1283008 06/19/17 08:55 AM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
My Son just got me an xbox one for Fathers day and my favorite game Doom. My question to anyone who has a xbox one: We started to set it up at 1PM, 1st there was a new update to the xbox: 2 and 1/2 hours, then there was a controller up date another 1/2 hour. Then my Son loaded the game, a game update another 1 hr. When it was done My Son said now you can play, I started to hit play and it said sorry you have to finish the network update, at 31.5 GB...I left this morning and it was at 19 percent done, it ran all night. And is still running.

My son was so upset that he wanted to take it back. I told him that we'd just let it run until it's done.

My question is this: Is This Normal? Does it really take that long to load a game?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
bleednbrown #1283023 06/19/17 11:01 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What is your download speed from your ISP?

Eat it Phil...
brownsfan2119 #1283024 06/19/17 11:07 AM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
It's using the WI-FI around 970 kb/s to 2.5 meg/s

#GMSTRONG

bleednbrown #1283026 06/19/17 11:11 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
My Son just got me an xbox one for Fathers day and my favorite game Doom. My question to anyone who has a xbox one: We started to set it up at 1PM, 1st there was a new update to the xbox: 2 and 1/2 hours, then there was a controller up date another 1/2 hour. Then my Son loaded the game, a game update another 1 hr. When it was done My Son said now you can play, I started to hit play and it said sorry you have to finish the network update, at 31.5 GB...I left this morning and it was at 19 percent done, it ran all night. And is still running.

My son was so upset that he wanted to take it back. I told him that we'd just let it run until it's done.

My question is this: Is This Normal? Does it really take that long to load a game?

Both the PS4 and XBOX One rely on downloads a decent bit. Some updates take longer than others. You can set it up to download updates overnight/when you aren't using it. How long it takes depends on your internet/download speed. The size of the downloads do seem to be getting larger, but it varies a lot between games.

It should be fairly smooth sailing after the initial installs. You might have to find a friend with high-end download rates to visit when you get new games.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #1283053 06/19/17 12:27 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
We couldn't find a way around it. My son was saying what ever happened to just put the disk in and play?

I don't know why I have to update the network? That's gonna take 2-3 days the way it's going

#GMSTRONG

bleednbrown #1283078 06/19/17 02:08 PM
Legend
Legend
As annoying as this is, it does make the whole experience better overall. For example, if there's an issue with the system, controller or game, they can patch an update. Problem is, most of those patches aren't small. You are left with a better product in the end, especially with game patches.

Like Grimm said, can set your system to automatically download this content when it's published. For example, I'll turn on my PS4 and see a notification that the system OS and a game patch was applied since I last turned it on. I don't really think about it after that.

There are times when the download is happening when you're trying to play the game, but that's rare. When I had NBA2K17, the game would leave a pop-up on the screen until you accepted the update (returned to the title screen).

And yes, this happens for new games a lot. Buy an "old" game, install the disc contents and then you have to wait for all the patches to flow through right after. Maybe it's normal for me, when I get a new game, I assume I won't be able to play it that afternoon/night. After that, it's smooth sailing.

And Doom was a ton of fun. I think I would have played on a harder setting from the start though. It still took me a few weeks with random playing, but it wasn't much of a challenge on normal. I tried playing it through a second time on the harder setting, but lost interest because I already knew all the maps and "secrets".

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Punchsmack #1283142 06/19/17 05:21 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Ok, Thanks a bunch guys. The down load is still only 38% but at least it ask me if I wanted to start to play Doom, and of course I said Yes brownie At least I'm playing now...Thanks again

#GMSTRONG

bleednbrown #1283148 06/19/17 05:29 PM
Legend
Legend
Are you using wifi?

Do you have the ability to hardwire tue Xbox directly to your modem via Ethernet cord?

That'd be my suggestion. To potentially increase DL speeds.

It is also a big help when playing multiplayer games online.

I have zero lag when playing madden.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #1283167 06/19/17 06:29 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
It only came with an HD cable, so I don't know, pretty sure my computer doesn't have an HD outlet. It's an older model

#GMSTRONG

bleednbrown #1283218 06/19/17 07:56 PM
Legend
Legend
I'm not talking about your computer.

I'm saying, you should be able to hook up an Ethernet cord that connects your Xbox to your modem/router. Instead of using wifi.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #1283263 06/19/17 09:16 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
I'm not talking about your computer.

I'm saying, you should be able to hook up an Ethernet cord that connects your Xbox to your modem/router. Instead of using wifi.

Absolutely. Sony ships their units with cheap and flat our crap WiFi cards. Hardwiring it via an ethernet cable could be a game changer, then again - with Microsoft, their WiFi cards may be solid. But, how good is the signal?

You can take your cable modem and hook it up by it, and see if it makes a difference. I rearranged my setup where both my computers were hardwired in, but my PS4 (in the living room, my router and modem was in the office) and my PS4 would always lag while online gaming. Hardwiring it did the trick, so now my computers are hooked up WiFi and my PS4 has the router and modem right by it, so it's hardwired.

bleednbrown #1283462 06/20/17 02:30 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
ALWAYS use ethernet cable instead of WiFi. Especially for games that are more network-intensive. WiFi is slower, but more importantly, it's less robust than a hard-wire connection.

Just a quick note... when you pop a game in, the main thing it's doing is downloading the game from the disc to the hard drive (it will also be installing updates over the internet). The thing that takes longer (for me) is the installation from the disc. It seems dumb to do it like this (downloading the game to your hard drive, but still requiring the disc in the Xbox to play the game), but it really helps with the gameplay experience (less stutter and lag due to having to read from the disc to play the game).

Depending on the game you're playing, your internet connection may leave you really disappointed. Some games are super bandwidth-hungry (I play Destiny and the Division, and this is definitely the case for those). It may get really painful when you're trying to play and others in the house are on Netflix or something like that. Not sure if there's anything you should do about it other than setting your expectations accordingly.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
bleednbrown #1283588 06/20/17 09:15 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
at 2.5 megabytes a second it will take awhile.

I run at 56 megabytes a sec and it will take me a couple of hours to download games.

they run anywhere from 20 gigabytes to 50 gigabytes lol takes a minute. sorry bro. but on the bright side, once it's done it's done.

updates can take awhile as well. as it is a new xbox one so it has a lot of updates to do to catch up.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
dawgpound101 #1283612 06/20/17 10:11 PM
Legend
Legend
Where they get you is MB vs Mb

The difference between a Byte and a Bit is 'uuge.

bleednbrown #1284063 06/22/17 01:07 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
Ok, Thanks a bunch guys. The down load is still only 38% but at least it ask me if I wanted to start to play Doom, and of course I said Yes brownie At least I'm playing now...Thanks again

Just gotta stick with it and set up auto-updates for overnight things.

Games now seem to all have day one patches, and the software in the systems is always updating. The Day 1 Patches I suspect comes because the developers are under pressure to release games by certain dates, and the manufacturing/shipping of the discs comes before quality control is finished testing the games.

I got my xboxone on christmas and couldn't believe how long it took me to set up. Most games I purchase via disk, and update as soon as i get home (not when I want to start playing).

Works well enough for me. But expect the networks to be slow on release days of major games (like say Halo or when this next Spiderman comes out on PS4, etc)

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
I remember I was in a Madden tournament at a midnight release at a Walmart.

They were setting it up in multiple TVs. And each time they had to do an update.

And it wasn't even midnight yet.

ThatGuy #1284715 06/25/17 09:19 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
I remember I was in a Madden tournament at a midnight release at a Walmart.

They were setting it up in multiple TVs. And each time they had to do an update.

And it wasn't even midnight yet.

Oof, that sucks

bleednbrown #1284727 06/26/17 12:09 AM
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Anyone taken their xbox one with them for a hotel stay? How did it work on the wi-fi? We will n Myrtle Beach for over a week for my daughters softball, so plenty of downtime for some gaming while on vacation.

Frenchy #1284733 06/26/17 07:47 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
Anyone taken their xbox one with them for a hotel stay? How did it work on the wi-fi? We will n Myrtle Beach for over a week for my daughters softball, so plenty of downtime for some gaming while on vacation.

I'd suspect it would change depending on where you stay, location to the router, and the internet service they have available.

I bring my Xbox/PS4/WiiU (Depends on which games I want to play) with me to work on the Tugboat I spend a month on at a time. Works great for me. Every now and then I'll hook the system up to a hotspot on my phone just in case I want to install a patch or something. That always seems to work, it just takes a long time.

But with hotels, I'd assume it would vary wherever you go

Frenchy #1284779 06/26/17 12:11 PM
Legend
Legend
It could also depend on how the hotel has it set up.

The more people in the hotel using the wifi. The worse it is.

When you're at home, it's not just how many people in your house are using it. It's your neighborhood. Because everyone usually has the same stuff.

I live in an apartment complex. And while there are many different channels to use, the better ones are full of people. Especially at peak times. Which is why I hard wired.

I tried to play a game of madden online on wifi when I first got it and the lag was sooo baaad.

If I ever own my own home I'm springing for Fiber Wire.

ThatGuy #1285677 06/29/17 12:46 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'd argue that it depends most on what you want to play. I play Destiny, and that's super bandwidth intensive because you're playing with others and that requires constant communication between all the different players.

Other games, like Mass Effect or Witcher, are mostly contained within your Xbox, and only require small, periodic contact with a server.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1285711 06/29/17 02:34 PM
Legend
Legend
That is correct.

But I live in an apartment complex.

So regardless of what I'm trying to do. Wifi is always bad. Because everyone is using the same stuff. Don't know how many times I've changed the channel to an open one and then a week later it's now full.

ThatGuy #1287064 07/05/17 01:27 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Ethernet is better.

If that's not an option, then a router that operates on different frequencies might help you.

-PrplPplEater
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Fantasy & Gaming XBOX ONE

Link Copied to Clipboard