Next Thread
Print Thread
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Two players eligible for 2017 NFL Supplemental Draft

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...plemental-draft

Georgia Military College DL Tavares Bingham and Western New Mexico RB Marques Rodgers are eligible for the July 12 NFL Supplemental Draft, a league spokesman confirmed to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

NFLDraftScout's Rob Rang first reported the news.

Rodgers rushed for 1,283 yards and 10 touchdowns on 217 carries for WNMU in 2015, and caught 61 passes as one of the top offensive threats in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference. He was academically ineligible to play for WNMU last year, and entered the supplemental draft with one year of college eligibility remaining, according to the school.

Bingham (6-4, 290) exhausted his junior college playing eligibility after the 2015 season. He redshirted one year and played another at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, then transferred to GMC for his final junior college season. Academic problems prevented him from signing with a four-year school for 2016, per GMC coach Bert Williams.

The supplemental draft includes players whose draft eligibility status has changed since the regular draft in April. Teams that select a player in the supplemental draft lose a draft choice in the corresponding round of the next year's NFL draft.

Last year, six players were available in the supplemental draft, but none were selected. The last player selected in the supplemental draft was Clemson OL Isaiah Battle, a fifth-round choice of the Rams in 2015 who has not appeared in an NFL regular-season game and is currently with the Chiefs.

Legend
Legend
I doubt that any team will touch either one.
They'll roll the dice on them becoming UDFA's and try to sign them that way, if they even view them as being worth giving a look - which pretty much any team would have to waive a guy to sign either of these at this point.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
They play the wrong positions this year. Browns' don't need another linebacker. (NFL networks crawl at the bottom of the screen, listed the one player as a Linebacker, when I viewed it last night.)

The Browns are trying to figure out which linebacker to cut, which they probably don't want to, so they don't need another linebacker.

And the Browns don't need another RB, who doesn't have the potential to clearly challenge to be one of the top two.

When it comes to a 3rd tailback, who shows little more than the others but happens to win the lottery ticket of the roster spot at that position; the Browns already have other options. 4 or more.
Dayes, G. Attkinson 3, Terrence ?, and the one in injured reserve.

So wasting a future draft pick, even a 7th rounder, on an almost div.2 RB with similar stats to the others, at this time, seems highly unlikely.

The two supplemental draft eligible players, play the wrong positions for the Browns to be interested this year.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I looked up the RB ... he's from a REALLY small school. I doubt he'll be touched. Maybe as a FA for camp.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Neither one was selected.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
Neither one was selected.

Shocking.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Maybe this should make the FO thread?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well yeah! They just passed up an opportunity to add talent to the team!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Well yeah! They just passed up an opportunity to add talent to the team!

Idiots, I tell ya.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Kurt Warner thinks he could've led Browns 'to places they've never been'

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/kur...97szl58hmc8fvs1

The Browns have never won a Super Bowl. They are one of only four NFL teams to have never even played in a Super Bowl.

Things might have been different had they selected a little-known quarterback in the 1999 expansion draft.

The Rams left backup quarterback Kurt Warner exposed when the Browns returned to the NFL three years after the franchise's previous incarnation moved to Baltimore to become the Ravens. The Browns selected Buccaneers backup Scott Milanovich in the expansion draft and later added former Packers backups Ty Detmer and Doug Pederson before selecting Tim Couch with the No. 1 overall pick in the 1999 NFL Draft.

But what would have happened had they taken Warner instead of Milanovich? Warner, who won a Super Bowl with the Rams later that same season, believes he could have taken the Browns "to places they’ve never been before."

"Had I gone to Cleveland, how would my career be different? I have no idea,” Warner said Wednesday during a Pro Football Hall of Fame conference call. "It would have been fun to win a Super Bowl in Cleveland, though. But I think when you’re going through the process, and you get to this point I always felt like wherever I was, I'd be successful.

"A lot of people I think when they see my career, they hear or they remember, sat on the bench for four years in college, got cut by the Packers, worked in a grocery store and then won the Super Bowl. That’s kind of the timeline that people see when they hear Kurt Warner. When I look at the timeline, I look at it and say, ‘Played one year in college, was player of the year in my conference, I played three years in Arena Football, went to the Arena Bowl twice and was voted the best quarterback in the league all three seasons, went to Europe for a year and was the top quarterback statistically the season I played there. So I look at it and say every time I played I was successful. Everybody else looks at it and says he didn’t play very much. So there were two different perspectives on it."

Warner was the NFL MVP in 1999 and again in 2001, when he led the Rams back to the Super Bowl, and later helped the Cardinals reach their only Super Bowl in 2008. Becoming a starter was all a game of chance, after Rams starter Trent Green suffered a season-ending knee injury in a preseason game.

Warner understood why the Rams left him exposed, but staying in St. Louis worked out pretty well. He will be inducted into the Hall of Fame Aug. 5, along with former Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson, former Seahawks safety Kenny Easley, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, former Broncos running back Terrell Davis, former Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor and former Saints and Falcons kicker Morten Andersen.

While Warner went on to have stunning success with the Rams, Milanovich never threw a pass for the Browns, who have had a turnstile at quarterback ever since and are joined by only the Jaguars, Texans and Lions as teams to have never played in a Super Bowl.

"Had I gone to Cleveland, I would have expected nothing else but to have success, somehow, some way, some form," Warner said. "Had I been on the field, I would have expected to play well and have success.

"We joke, I would have loved to have won a Super Bowl in Cleveland or gone to a Super Bowl in Cleveland. I believe had I gone there and had a chance to play, I would have helped that franchise go to places they’ve never been before. Whether it’s arrogance or confidence or whatever you want to call it, that was my mentality when I stepped between the lines on a football field that I was going to make my team and somehow, some way, I was going to find a way to succeed."

Legend
Legend
These guys are not going anywhere (not Cland, I hope). I thought we were full up or is one of these guys a monster talent?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Vambo

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/kur...97szl58hmc8fvs1

The Browns have never won a Super Bowl. They are one of only four NFL teams to have never even played in a Super Bowl.

Things might have been different had they selected a little-known quarterback in the 1999 expansion draft.

The Rams left backup quarterback Kurt Warner exposed when the Browns returned to the NFL three years after the franchise's previous incarnation moved to Baltimore to become the Ravens. The Browns selected Buccaneers backup Scott Milanovich in the expansion draft and later added former Packers backups Ty Detmer and Doug Pederson before selecting Tim Couch with the No. 1 overall pick in the 1999 NFL Draft.

But what would have happened had they taken Warner instead of Milanovich? Warner, who won a Super Bowl with the Rams later that same season, believes he could have taken the Browns "to places they’ve never been before."

"Had I gone to Cleveland, how would my career be different? I have no idea,” Warner said Wednesday during a Pro Football Hall of Fame conference call. "It would have been fun to win a Super Bowl in Cleveland, though. But I think when you’re going through the process, and you get to this point I always felt like wherever I was, I'd be successful.

"A lot of people I think when they see my career, they hear or they remember, sat on the bench for four years in college, got cut by the Packers, worked in a grocery store and then won the Super Bowl. That’s kind of the timeline that people see when they hear Kurt Warner. When I look at the timeline, I look at it and say, ‘Played one year in college, was player of the year in my conference, I played three years in Arena Football, went to the Arena Bowl twice and was voted the best quarterback in the league all three seasons, went to Europe for a year and was the top quarterback statistically the season I played there. So I look at it and say every time I played I was successful. Everybody else looks at it and says he didn’t play very much. So there were two different perspectives on it."

Warner was the NFL MVP in 1999 and again in 2001, when he led the Rams back to the Super Bowl, and later helped the Cardinals reach their only Super Bowl in 2008. Becoming a starter was all a game of chance, after Rams starter Trent Green suffered a season-ending knee injury in a preseason game.

Warner understood why the Rams left him exposed, but staying in St. Louis worked out pretty well. He will be inducted into the Hall of Fame Aug. 5, along with former Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson, former Seahawks safety Kenny Easley, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, former Broncos running back Terrell Davis, former Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor and former Saints and Falcons kicker Morten Andersen.

While Warner went on to have stunning success with the Rams, Milanovich never threw a pass for the Browns, who have had a turnstile at quarterback ever since and are joined by only the Jaguars, Texans and Lions as teams to have never played in a Super Bowl.

"Had I gone to Cleveland, I would have expected nothing else but to have success, somehow, some way, some form," Warner said. "Had I been on the field, I would have expected to play well and have success.

"We joke, I would have loved to have won a Super Bowl in Cleveland or gone to a Super Bowl in Cleveland. I believe had I gone there and had a chance to play, I would have helped that franchise go to places they’ve never been before. Whether it’s arrogance or confidence or whatever you want to call it, that was my mentality when I stepped between the lines on a football field that I was going to make my team and somehow, some way, I was going to find a way to succeed."

KJ, Darren Chaiverini, Leslie Shephard < Isaac Bruce, Torrey Holt, Az Hakim, Ricky Proehl

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Would he have brought Faulk, Bruce, Holt, and their DL with him too?

Truth be told, Couch never stood a chance IMO. We were an ill-conceived franchise from the start. Haven't caught up since.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Would he have brought Faulk, Bruce, Holt, and their DL with him too?

Truth be told, Couch never stood a chance IMO. We were an ill-conceived franchise from the start. Haven't caught up since.

Yet Holcomb made the DL look much better.

Couch had a major flaw, and it wasn't his arm problem, he had a problem with the decision making.

This was evident for some, he was never going to be a good QB, and the persistence and support that he had from some Fans and the FO was what led to Butch firing and the lack of evolution from the team .

Kurt was an elite QB, Butch was a great Game manager, Bruce on of the best Oc's in the game, that's some of the most important pieces in a team...

Last edited by rastanplan; 07/14/17 07:13 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

We would have destroyed him. He doesn't realize how lucky he was.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's for sure Cal. We would have destroyed anybody. We still are. Tom Brady would not have been what he is today if we drafted him. He is 40 and he wants to play a few more years. He wouldn't have made 30 with us!!

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 07/14/17 10:09 AM.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Two players eligible for 2017 NFL Supplemental Draft

Link Copied to Clipboard