Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Q: How is the USS Enterprise like a roll of toilet paper?

A: They both orbit Uranus... and wipe out Kingons.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Q: How is the USS Enterprise like a roll of toilet paper?

A: They both orbit Uranus... and wipe out Kingons.

Oh no, not this thread again. rofl

https://gizmodo.com/did-something-massive-smash-into-uranus-1827315511

Did Something Massive Smash Into Uranus?

You might be aware of one of Uranus’ complexities: It spins on its side, and its moons orbit on that same rotated plane. New evidence strengthens the case that Uranus was smashed in a giant collision, resulting in its sideways orientation to its orbital plane and perhaps explaining some of the planet’s other mysteries.

A new paper performs a series of simulations on Uranus early in its history, taking note of what an early impact may have done to its rotation rate, atmosphere, and internal structure. The impact could have left a clear signature still visible inside the planet we see today.

Uranus really is strange. Not only does it rotate on an axis that sits at a 98-degree angle to its orbital plane, but, unlike the other giant planets, it doesn’t appear to release more heat than it receives from the Sun. Its magnetic field, too, appears warped compared to the Earth’s. An impact could perhaps help explain some of these strange traits.

Scientists have been simulating giant impacts into Uranus since the early 1990s, according to the new paper published in the Astrophysical Journal. This time around, researchers built a new simulation with the newest and best available data of the planet’s composition. This allowed them to model how a giant impactor, perhaps one to three times the mass of Earth, would have deposited “material and energy inside Uranus” and how much debris would be left over, from which moons could form.

“This study provides some great new insights into what might have happened all those billions of years ago, with material left over from the impact possibly even serving to trap some of that heat inside,” Leigh Fletcher, Royal Society Research Fellow at the University of Leicester, told Gizmodo.

But this is just a simulation, and like we always say: All models are flawed, but some are interesting. Models can’t tell us exactly what happened; it will take a lot more data to fully understand Uranus’ story. “Of course, what we really need next is an ambitious robotic mission to explore Uranus and its diverse satellite system,” said Fletcher. “Gravitational, atmospheric, and magnetic field mapping, following what we’ve done at Jupiter with Juno, and at Saturn with Cassini, could provide some new clues to better constrain these models, by unlocking the secrets of an ice giant interior for the first time.”

Uranus is truly a mystery. Will humans finally take up the task to explore it?

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Quote:
Did Something Massive Smash Into Uranus?

Quote:

Uranus is truly a mystery. Will humans finally take up the task to explore it?

When it comes to Uranus, the laughs just write themselves. LMAO, its like there's a small part of my brain that's still 10 years old. Okay ... a medium part of my brain.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Who named that planet? Can you imagine the meeting of astronomers when it happened?

Alright gentlemen, what shall we name this planet?

Random guy: I know! Uranus!

Everyone else: (staring) Wait , he’s serious...

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
It had to be a redneck that named it. Probably related to me brownie

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MrTed
Who named that planet? Can you imagine the meeting of astronomers when it happened?

Alright gentlemen, what shall we name this planet?

Random guy: I know! Uranus!

Everyone else: (staring) Wait , he’s serious...

It's named for a Greek god.. probably the god of inert gases.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Ouranos was the god of the sky. He was the husband of Gaia, mother earth.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I think the name was ultimately picked by a German who horribly misjudged the childish humor of English speakers failed to understand how that name would sound to those who spoke English.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
I think the name was ultimately picked by a German who horribly misjudged the childish humor of English speakers failed to understand how that name would sound to those who spoke English.

Eric Idle has been thanking him ever since.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Uranus will be visible to everyone in the UK tonight

Jeff Parsons, UK Metro
Friday 26 Oct 2018

If you’ve ever wanted to get a really good look at Uranus, then tonight is your best opportunity. Not only is the distant planet at the closest point to Earth in its orbit at the moment, but it’s also particularly easy to locate. The seventh planet from the sun can be found just to the left of the moon in the night sky all this week.

The moon is starting to wane after last night’s full moon, but it will still be shining brightly in the sky. Helpful for locating the distant planet.

Uranus lies south-west in the constellation of Aries, close to Pisces, and should appear as a small turquoise dot. You’ll be able to glimpse it with the naked eye, but you’ll get a much better view if you can lay your hands on a telescope or pair of binoculars.

October is the best time to observe this planet because it’s in opposition to the sun. It’ll rise when the sun sets and stay visible all through the night; providing the clouds stay away.

Uranus has a few strange quirks such as rotating on its side, rather than on an axis like the Earth. Secondly, it’s actually colder than Nepture, despite being closer to the sun.

If you plan on getting out to see Uranus this evening then make sure you wrap up warm and try to get as far away from light pollution as possible.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/26/uranus-wi...76/?ito=cbshare

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Uranus has a few strange quirks such as rotating on its side,

I would never admit that happens...

Quote:
If you plan on getting out to see Uranus this evening then make sure you wrap up warm and try to get as far away from light pollution as possible.

No plans on doing so..NONE what so ever... lmao

I see this is still the butt of all threads.

L
Legend
Legend
L
He said cheekily.......

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Bored headline writers all over the world probably jump for joy when Uranus news comes across the wire.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Bored headline writers all over the world probably jump for joy when Uranus news comes across the wire.

This post was sponsored by, Charmin and their new theme song...

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I didn't even know that GM was on vacation.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Geez the last time I went on vacation was March 11th 2011 off the Pacific coast of Japan. I'm still being blamed for that one.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Old Gas Blob From Uranus Found In Vintage Voyager 2 Data

https://www.space.com/uranus-gas-blob-voyager-2-discovery.html

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Hubble Telescope Just Spotted Something Massive Coming From Uranus

Link Copied to Clipboard