Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Packers go punt block late in 4th Quarter... And THIS ends up being the longest punt return of the season. Amazing.

No blocks are in position when Trevor Davis fields this punt

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/941065981752782848

This team is so bad.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I understand not every team has a guy who can punt the ball 50+ yrds with pin point accuracy.

I understand not every team has a phenom return man.

But everything in between???? I don't think there's any other aspect of a football game that is any simpler than special teams. It shouldn't matter if these guys were too good in college to play ST's. ST's is basic football skills. frown

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
V
Legend
Legend
V
We had that punt defended. Ricardo Louis made a half-hearted attempt at a tackle. He reached and tried to grab him up high. Guy broke that pathetic attempt and was off to the races.

We will be a better team when guys like Louis are no longer w/us.

Same w/the fake punt. We had a guy in perfect position, but our guy whiffed on the tackle. I couldn't see his number and have asked twice if anyone else knows who it was. Haven't read any answers. I'll ask again.....does anyone know who missed the tackle on the fake punt?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I just watched a YouTube video on the fake punt. It was #28, who I believe is Darius Hillary, a DB.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So hard to read numbers with these uniforms.
Looking forward to getting them changed again.
They are horrible - not just the number issue.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed. The orange on Brown is really hard to read. I'm okay w/the orange on white.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I just watched a YouTube video on the fake punt. It was #28, who I believe is Darius Hillary, a DB.

Yes, it was Hillary. He got juked by the stutter-step and face planted by the stiff arm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Packers go punt block late in 4th Quarter... And THIS ends up being the longest punt return of the season. Amazing.

No blocks are in position when Trevor Davis fields this punt

Okay, probably an apples to oranges comparison here ... but when our high school team used to practice punt coverage, we would throw together a random team of volunteers to play the role of the return team, and half the time I would be the return guy. For whatever reason, it just seemed easier to return punts when the blocking wasn't set up.

I think part of it is that you aren't forcing yourself to go one side or the other (whichever side the blocking is set-up for), so you have the entire field to work with. And a good portion of it is that you can see the opponents coming at you a lot better and can make better decisions on where the holes will be. But I think the biggest reason is that once you get past that initial tackler or two and start getting up-field, you run into a bunch of trailing teammates that can throw blocks for you.

I remember one time I took a punt, quickly side-stepped the first two tacklers and took it right up the middle for a would-be touchdown. The first two guys that missed left a gap in the middle, and once I hit that hole the guys coming back to block scraped off all the other cover guys trying to play catch-up. The coach blew the play dead before I could cross the 50 though and completely laid into the starters. grin

Legend
Legend
Returnus interruptus. Classic. "I coulda scored! Honest!"

Nice memory that.

Need to see the film on that one.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Packers 27 Post game thoughts.

Link Copied to Clipboard