Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Here in Connecticut it’s a beautiful early March day.

Sunny, warming to the mid-40s this afternoon.

Looks like spring is nearly upon us. (the stupid crocus will probably bloom - the blonde of the wild flower family)

BUT….

The state is under a Winter Weather Warning for tomorrow. Parts of the state are likely to get 12”+.

I don’t think they would have had a clue 100 years ago of what’s coming tomorrow.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
What a great afternoon here. Sunny, 47 F degrees.

Winter's finally over.

Legend
Legend
Strange day here.
It was near 50 and snowing.
The yard was full of singing Robins and Red Wing Black Birds.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg

I don’t think they would have had a clue 100 years ago of what’s coming tomorrow.

100 years ago...no clue whatsoever.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane

1900 Galveston hurricane
The Great Galveston Hurricane,[1] known regionally as the Great Storm of 1900,[2][3][4] was a Category 4 storm, with winds of up to 145 mph (233 km/h), which made landfall on September 8, 1900, in Galveston, Texas, in the United States. It killed 6,000 to 12,000 people, making it the deadliest hurricane and natural disaster in U.S. history.

Great Galveston Hurricane
of 1900
Category 4 major hurricane (SSHWS/NWS)
Galveston Hurricane (1900) SWA.JPG
Surface weather analysis of the hurricane on September 8, just before landfall.
Formed
August 27, 1900
Dissipated
September 17, 1900
(Extratropical after September 11, 1900)
Highest winds
1-minute sustained: 145 mph (230 km/h)
Lowest pressure
936 mbar (hPa); 27.64 inHg
Fatalities
6,000–12,000
(Deadliest in U.S. history)
Damage
$21 million (1900 USD)
(equivalent to $618 million in 2017, adjusted for inflation; see Aftermath for more)
Areas affected
Lesser Antilles, Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, Jamaica, Cuba, Turks and Caicos Islands, Bahamas, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, Eastern Canada
Part of the 1900 Atlantic hurricane season
The hurricane appears to have started as an atmospheric trough from West Africa, causing unsettled weather in the Caribbean, and emerging into the Florida Straits as a tropical storm on September 5. Owing to contradictory forecasts, the people of Galveston felt no alarm until the official hurricane warning of September 7. The next morning, a storm surge of 15 ft (4.6 m) washed over the long, flat island-city, which was only 8 ft (2.4 m) above sea level, knocking buildings off their foundations and destroying over 3,600 homes.

The disaster ended the Golden Era of Galveston, as the hurricane alarmed potential investors, who turned to Houston instead. The Gulf of Mexico shoreline of Galveston island was subsequently raised by 17 ft (5.2 m) and a 10 mi (16 km) seawall erected.[5]

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Excuse me.

OK so, current predictions are for up to 6" of snow here in Rocky Hill. "Heaviest snow" mostly this evening and tonight.

Less snow to the south more to the north. (as little as 1" on the Connecticut shoreline).

So they're scrolling all the schools that are closed today on TV.

Most Connecticut schools are closed. Right now, there's barely a dusting on car windshields.

Is it me? I seem to remember going to school in blizzards.

Seven miles. No shoes or coat either.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We had shoes in lower west side of Cleveland back in the day ; But coats where optional !

Legend
Legend
weather here today is a blizzard ... literally got 6 inches within 90 minutes

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
OK I stand corrected.

I thought when this "impending" storm was being forecast on TV, it was another case of TV sensationalism (You know, "STAY TUNED TO CHANNEL 3 IF YOU WANT TO LIVE!!!")

I'm not sure how close, but I'd guess it's pretty close to blizzard conditions right now.

Now they're predicting 12"+ for Rocky Hill with "thunder snow" tonight.

It looks close to a foot now with no end in sight.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Give me a break.

Another 12" predicted tonight.

We just got 12" less than a week ago.

I'm getting real tired of this winter.

Legend
Legend
Give me a break.

Winter? I’m wearing shorts and a polo.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Give me a break.

yeah, it's getting old

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
This sucks.

It looks like blizzard conditions right now out my fifth floor glass deck doors. And it's suppose to get worse this afternoon.

What's worse than a blizzard?

It's nice to look at. And I'm pretty comfortable drinking French Vanilla coffee. But I got stuff to do and there's gonna be huge piles snow everywhere for the next week.

Here's a picture out my deck doors from a previous blizzard. (keep in mind, the building roof extends over the deck)

Maybe I wouldn't have minded it before Christmas - 3 months ago.

This has been the snowiest March I ever remember.

One more picture. I think I've posted this one before of one section of my building parking lot.

This little lot is ~ 1/2 mile from the entrance to the complex (it's a huge complex). Nobody can leave. Not by car.

Legend
Legend
Hope your fridge is stocked.

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Sure, plenty of food.

In the 7 years I've lived here, Ive learned to keep two of these handy (one in kitchen, one in bedroom).

In that time there's been a couple hurricanes, couple blizzards, couple multi-day power outages.

My deck and bedroom windows let in enough light to at least make my apartment visual during the day.

But the long apartment hallways have no windows and are pitch black during power outages.

A big ~ 13 year-old trick-or-treater leaving my apartment.

Or was that Madame Miserable from the Hartford House of Pain?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Nothing compared to your situation , but we had snow down here in Elkin NC yesterday .. Been the coldest , wettest winter in a looooooooog time in NC !

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Snow in North Carolina in mid-March is amazing. You guys must be at average day time highs of ~ 50+ degrees by now.

I imagine you guys only typically get AT MOST maybe a few inches of snow all year.

I also imagine there's many winters when you get just a couple dustings. (no need for street plowing)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Elkin is in the Piedmont area ( west off I-77 ) before you head up to the mountains to areas like Boone ( App State ) and into Ashville .. They get more in the winter than we do .. My Son is in Fort Mill SC. , an hour and a half South .. This has been the coldest winter he has seen in the 13 years he has lived there.

Legend
Legend
Winter weather advisory here again today ... 8 inches or so expected

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Just getting flurries here, been kind of nuts here for the last month or so in that one day we have 30 degrees and flurries and then a couple of days later it will sunny and in the upper 50's/low 60's.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Snow in North Carolina in mid-March is amazing. You guys must be at average day time highs of ~ 50+ degrees by now.

I imagine you guys only typically get AT MOST maybe a few inches of snow all year.

I also imagine there's many winters when you get just a couple dustings. (no need for street plowing)

What you should imagine is that NC is a fairly long state, ranging from the beach at Wilmington, with average annual snowfall of about 1"... to Grandfather Mountain, with average annual snowfall of over 54"... and everything in between. So it is literally impossible to talk about the weather in "North Carolina" as if that is only one thing.

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I see. Yes, of course.

Thanks for the geometry lesson.

I feel more smarter.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yep , and I am in the Piedmont Plateau ..

Legend
Legend
I see. Yes, of course.

Thanks for the geometry lesson.

I feel more smarter.

Good. I'm just here to help. thumbsup

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawg66
Just getting flurries here, been kind of nuts here for the last month or so in that one day we have 30 degrees and flurries and then a couple of days later it will sunny and in the upper 50's/low 60's.

Road my motorcycle on Monday. Watch it snow like crazy Tuesday morning here. Welcome to Ohio cool

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... The weather today vs. 100 years ago (and thank satellie technology)

Link Copied to Clipboard