Print Thread
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
The real headline should read:

“Gas Companies Think Millennials are Idiots”

For the last 100 years gas companies have historically raised gas prices just before summer.

Why?

Because demand for gas goes up in summer. And when that happens and you raise the price profits skyrocket.

It’s great how they come up with new excuses for raping the American (World) public.

Remember 40 years ago?

“OH MY GOD!!! THE EARTH IS RUNNING OUT OF OIL!!”

.50c
.75c
$1.00
$1.50
$2.00
$3.00

Didn’t prices in many places hit $4.00/gallon in 2013?

Filling your gas tank could run over $100.

**CHA-CHING**

"Oh my God. That damn Trump! He's the reason."

(PS. here's an idea - buy oil company stock and enjoy the ride)

Legend
Legend
What?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Absolutely correct.

We probably don't want to mention the Russians and Saudi's are working together to keep oil prices high or the fact that
Venezuela has come offline with their oil production.

Must be Trump.

Legend
Legend
When gas prices went up when Bush was President it was because he was trying to make his oil buddies even more rich... when they went down it was because he was trying to get re-elected... when they went up under Obama it was because he was trying to make the case for more investment in renewable energy... when they went down it was because he was trying to stimulate the economy...

Some people have trouble grasping the notion that the President isn't in absolute control of everything, it's a big world with a lot of players and sometimes things happen that the President isn't responsible for (good and bad).. markets fluctuate...

Oil is a commodity, the price moves based on anticipation of future things to come, whether they actually happen or not doesn't really matter. Any time there is any unrest at all in the middle east, gas prices go up because of fear that supply will become short so those who trade in those commodities respond accordingly... And yes, historically, gas prices tend to go up a little leading into summer.

Remember this, when you pay $2.70 for a gallon of gas, you aren't paying $2.70 for THAT gallon of gas based on what it cost to gather, refine, and ship THAT gallon of gas.. you are paying $2.70 because that is what they think it will cost to replace it with the next truck load of gas that is delivered.

yebat' Putin
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Absolutely correct.

We probably don't want to mention the Russians and Saudi's are working together to keep oil prices high or the fact that
Venezuela has come offline with their oil production.

Must be Trump.

I told you that when Trump withdrew from a pact he didn't know the first thing about because of his jealous rage at Obama that gas prices would rise.

You called it "anything to dump on Trump". You used the big bold yellow letters.

P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
When gas prices went up when Bush was President it was because he was trying to make his oil buddies even more rich... when they went down it was because he was trying to get re-elected... when they went up under Obama it was because he was trying to make the case for more investment in renewable energy... when they went down it was because he was trying to stimulate the economy...

Some people have trouble grasping the notion that the President isn't in absolute control of everything, it's a big world with a lot of players and sometimes things happen that the President isn't responsible for (good and bad).. markets fluctuate...

Oil is a commodity, the price moves based on anticipation of future things to come, whether they actually happen or not doesn't really matter. Any time there is any unrest at all in the middle east, gas prices go up because of fear that supply will become short so those who trade in those commodities respond accordingly... And yes, historically, gas prices tend to go up a little leading into summer.

Remember this, when you pay $2.70 for a gallon of gas, you aren't paying $2.70 for THAT gallon of gas based on what it cost to gather, refine, and ship THAT gallon of gas.. you are paying $2.70 because that is what they think it will cost to replace it with the next truck load of gas that is delivered.

D.C. is correct for the most part. I used to defend Bush when people accused him of being responsible for gas prices.

Presidents are normally not to be blamed or celebrated for gas prices. But in this case, the cause is very real and you can point to exactly why it's happening.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Presidents are normally not to be blamed or celebrated for gas prices. But in this case, the cause is very real and you can point to exactly why it's happening.

Then what is the cause?

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
Seem to remember O catching some blame....

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

Then what is the cause?

There's going to be a brief uptick due to the Iran withdraw. New vendors will be obtained quickly, and the speculation will shift. It shouldn't last long.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: PDF
Quote:

Then what is the cause?

There's going to be a brief uptick due to the Iran withdraw. New vendors will be obtained quickly, and the speculation will shift. It shouldn't last long.

I read yesterday that the speculation is that oil will run up another 30 dollars a barrel thru the summer.

Also, when the president simply stated that he was going to raise tariffs on steel and aluminum, we received a notice from suppliers that the first increase was going to be 8-12 percent and the one we got last week said another price increase of 10-15 percent coming. And there isn't even a tariff imposed yet. Then I went back and looked at our commodity sheet and 3/4" thinwall EMT conduit is 39.9% higher last week than it was in August last year.

Legend
Legend
Get ready for $100 per barrel oil soon.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Get ready for $100 per barrel oil soon.

Thanks Trump. wink

O
Legend
Legend
O
I do blame Obama here though. Allowing oil exports from the US was nuts.

Legend
Legend
We now produce more oil than Saudi Arabia and should be passing the largest producer, Russia, in about a year.

Who da thunk it?

O
Legend
Legend
O
And by allowing export vs domestic consumption Obama triggered a steady increase from about $1.99 a gallon when he allowed it to what we are paying today. Now Opec is acting out again.

We had them by the short and curlies and let them go.

My question for Trump is, why haven't you rolled this one back? Talk about helping Americans, forcing gas prices down would help everybody.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
And by allowing export vs domestic consumption Obama triggered a steady increase from about $1.99 a gallon when he allowed it to what we are paying today. Now Opec is acting out again.

We had them by the short and curlies and let them go.

My question for Trump is, why haven't you rolled this one back? Talk about helping Americans, forcing gas prices down would help everybody.
Agreed 100% on both. Obama stuck us out to dry on this, and Trump has left us on the line year and half in.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Then what is the cause?

But the price increase projections I'm seeing today are very similar to price increase projections I saw back in January.. they are almost identical... I know Trump had talked about dumping the Iran deal a while ago, but were the articles in January anticipating that Trump would back out of the deal before summer? Did they just get lucky? or are they just blaming an uptick that was going to happen anyway on this Iran deal?

yebat' Putin
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:

Then what is the cause?

But the price increase projections I'm seeing today are very similar to price increase projections I saw back in January.. they are almost identical... I know Trump had talked about dumping the Iran deal a while ago, but were the articles in January anticipating that Trump would back out of the deal before summer? Did they just get lucky? or are they just blaming an uptick that was going to happen anyway on this Iran deal?
Ding ding ding

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Gas Prices Rise Sharply Due to Trump Withdrawing from Iranian Nuclear Deal.

Link Copied to Clipboard