Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
To couple this with the "When does Baker start" poll, I thought these were some other big questions to ask going into the camp-season:

Who sees the field first?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/10/18 11:18 AM
Who get the most TOTAL yardage at RB this year?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/10/18 11:19 AM
What headline are we most likely to see?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/10/18 11:21 AM
Who starts at Left Tackle Week 1?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/10/18 11:22 AM
Assuming Ward starts at CB1, who gets the other side?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/10/18 11:26 AM
Which DBs DON'T make the final roster?
multiple choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/10/18 11:30 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
poll 3 from the top is an erie poll to place.

And I highly doubt Chris Hubbard would be a mysterious lineman to be named later, yet should be top 2 in consideration for starting left tackle week #1.
With maybe Shon Coleman also in consideration.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Assuming Ward starts at CB 1?

The guy didn't even play in his bowl game, (and it was a day of notification), and he isn't practicing, who knows if he is even healthy,(correction, will be healthy), let alone starter ready.

I think the starting corners will come from the list of , Mitchell, Gaines, Carie, Jamar Taylor, BBC, and Ward.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
S
Legend
Legend
S
There is no way Stanton gets on the field before Mayfield....

I think Mayfield has a long ways to go, and the Browns did a bang up job bringing in Tyrod Taylor. I saw people were complaining about giving up a draft pick, but Taylor is going to be a breath of fresh air after what we have had to witness over the last few years. TT has developed into a reliable QB, who can play in most offenses. I like the drafting of Mayfield, but I think people would be foolish to sleep on Tyrod Taylor.

I think Nick Chubb earns the RB1 spot right out of camp. I love DJ, but I still wonder if he's a volume carries player, but I do believe we can incorporate him in other ways. I like Hyde a lot but I can't trust his body will hold up.

The left tackle issue is going to be tough. I think Drango ends up your opening day starter, but nothing would shock me. Obviously some big cleats to fill.

I really didn't want to answer the question about Callaway/Gordon being suspended, or Coleman getting hurt. I think JG is over his issues. We obviously don't know enough about Callaway, but he sure is talented, and for Coleman, this is pretty much a put up/shut up year for him, because I think they will be looking elsewhere if he ho hums another year.

I don't know if we can really pick a DB2 yet, I think it's pretty much up for grabs, but I love the competiton. I do believe Ward will show up and prove his worth in camp.

I will be curious as to the cuts that come before the season. Seems like there will always be a few shockers.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I think Nick Chubb earns the RB1 spot right out of camp. I love DJ, but I still wonder if he's a volume carries player, but I do believe we can incorporate him in other ways. I like Hyde a lot but I can't trust his body will hold up.

I look at the other way. I think Hyde comes out of camp as RB1 and Chubb gets the carries when Hyde rests and DJ continues to get a lot of 3rd down action, draws, screens, etc... if that is working, ride it as long as you can if Hyde gets hurt, then move Chubb to RB1...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I don't think that it matters who starts at RB, I think that all 3 guys will get carries, and receptions.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I don't think that it matters who starts at RB, I think that all 3 guys will get carries, and receptions.

I definitely agree with this. All 3 guys are talented in different ways, and it's a nice situation for us to have.

I just see Chubb getting the top spot, because it's a young guy's position, but realistically any situation is possible with those 3.

Call me crazy, but I really feel like this organization is finally building things the proper way.

Legend
Legend
I believe Browns are tougher to defend if two of the three are out there at the same time for some series. Hyde & Chubb, DJ and Chubb, DJ and Hyde, how many ways might they hurt a defense? Vary the pair and the sets, vary where they are in the set, and they can still hurt a defense in any number of ways. This isn't all gimmicky. If we want to run the ball more, variety is a part of that. If selective, to a legitimate degree, the more you "show" in a game results in more for opponents to prepare for on D for Sunday. Complicate a defense's life, and make them react to you. But you must make it work and hurt them enough so they pay attention and honor your threat. I think Hyde first, then Chubb, and DJ situationally. But these three intrigue me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I believe Browns are tougher to defend if two of the three are out there at the same time for some series. Hyde & Chubb, DJ and Chubb, DJ and Hyde, how many ways might they hurt a defense? Vary the pair and the sets, vary where they are in the set, and they can still hurt a defense in any number of ways. This isn't all gimmicky. If we want to run the ball more, variety is a part of that. If selective, to a legitimate degree, the more you "show" in a game results in more for opponents to prepare for on D for Sunday. Complicate a defense's life, and make them react to you. But you must make it work and hurt them enough so they pay attention and honor your threat. I think Hyde first, then Chubb, and DJ situationally. But these three intrigue me.

You can definitely use DJ in a Reggie Bush type role. Where you can split him out, and expose weaknesses beyond the box. I was really happy to see him signed to more years. I hope that means he gets incorporated a little bit more into the offense, because he's way too talented to only be used when we're down 3 scores.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I think you will see less of duke, which is why he it was great move for him to sign his deal.

With Jarvis, Gordon, a year under the belt of Njoku, etc., we actually have OTHER weapons that are going to take away looks from him. I maybe wrong, but the ball can only go to so many players per game.

Legend
Legend
True, but for a while, Duke of the backfield, was arguably our best big-play threat.. now if we actually have weapons down the field, a QB with his **** together.. Duke might become even more valuable.

yebat' Putin
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
True, but for a while, Duke of the backfield, was arguably our best big-play threat.. now if we actually have weapons down the field, a QB with his **** together.. Duke might become even more valuable.
true as well, it certainly is a great problem to have, and one we have not had in .....ohhhh a decade give or take

Legend
Legend
Funny how the thought of a deep passing game, an underneath passing game, and a running game all at the same time can get you a little worked up isn't it. thumbsup

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

What it certainly does is give us more legitimate targets to choose from. Then you simply exploit wherever the mismatch presents itself.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
No argument here. Just to stress what may not have been clear earlier post, we are getting some threats who just being out there can cause problems. The individuals in the mix and formations can cause headaches and mismatches in multiple places and open up other threats. In the past, defense loads the box an comes after us. We obliged them.

This could be a whole different deal if the OC can smother them with multiple threats. As my sensei taught, "Nobody can be strong in every direction at once." We can work harder at effectively creating problems and forcing choices out of a defense.

I also believe it makes them spend prep time on you during the week.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus Burning Questions, before camps get started

Link Copied to Clipboard