Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Legend
Legend
E
Ward hasn't signed either, right?

So this is a norm and we can only guess its about the guaranteed portion of the contract. Agents basically earn their money on that portion of the contract and I guess they don't wish to look over matched by signing and then finding out this guy drafted after their guy signed for much more in guarantee money as it doesn't make them look good for their future resumes on look what I can do.

jmhspeculation

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: eotab
Ward hasn't signed either, right?

So this is a norm and we can only guess its about the guaranteed portion of the contract. Agents basically earn their money on that portion of the contract and I guess they don't wish to look over matched by signing and then finding out this guy drafted after their guy signed for much more in guarantee money as it doesn't make them look good for their future resumes on look what I can do.

jmhspeculation

I believe they're arguing about how much of their signing bonus they'll get this year and arguing over offset language, will the player get paid if he's cut and signed somewhere else.

I'm not worried, we're still a month away from camp and Baker said he wants to host some workouts in Cali with the team.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That will be great. Getting him signed right away will get the business end sewed up so there will be nothing to concentrate on but football.

I agree, but there really was nothing else for him to concentrate on unless he was acting as his own agent.

How cool would it be to go down to the bank and ask the teller to give you your current balance....I might do it 2-3 times a week for a while with in excess of 21 mil.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
This generation would never do that. They would check their balance online. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Yeah, in a crowded restaturant, over their speaker, "hey Siri, what's my bank balance?".

#GMSTRONG
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Leaving the receipt at the ATM is the real power move.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Yeah, in a crowded restaturant, over their speaker, "hey Siri, what's my bank balance?".
brownie

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Jim Brown would agree with you.. Score, hand the ball to the Ref and go back to the sideline like it's no big deal.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Jim Brown would agree with you.. Score, hand the ball to the Ref and go back to the sideline like it's no big deal.

As I’ve said in the past, the biggest slight you can give an opponent is to act like kicking their arse is just what you do. You score, you hand the ball to the ref. “Meh, of course we scored. I’ll be back to do it again next drive.”
Where as when you run around like a child celebrating, you’re basically declaring “oh my god I can’t believe we scored! Let’s celebrate as it may never happen again.”...you know, like in soccer. (A little soccer dig for PDX. smile )

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E

Of course its a different era regarding celebrations. But I think JB would have stayed the same, if you remember he would conserve all his energy for the game. Walking back slow to the huddle, mostly to not let the D know how they effected him after hits. Just maintained the same gait back. I doubt he would expend the energy these guys do after scoring. With dancing jumping in the stands etc. Maybe the last play of a Championship game he would celebrate? But I think back in those days any celebration was met with a penalty???

jmho - didn't Barry Sanders do the same exact thing regarding no celebration... 2 of the best ever.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Jerry Rice was another. If one of the GOATs didn’t need to do the ‘dirty bird’ or ‘Icky shuffle’ or make snow angels or ... then I think everyone else can get by with an ‘atta-boy’ and a pat on the helmet on the sideline.

[Linked Image]
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Some recent interviews from Cowherd and Skip and Shannon

This is about the most "talk the talk" I've seen in a long time. Dude is certainly clearheaded and sounds like he's up to the challenge...

It's the preseason though, and people are willing to say anything at this point. Hopefully this is the true version of him though and he shows it through and through.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hope his quick thinking in his interviews translates to processing on field, real time info just as quickly.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Jerry Rice was another. If one of the GOATs didn’t need to do the ‘dirty bird’ or ‘Icky shuffle’ or make snow angels or ... then I think everyone else can get by with an ‘atta-boy’ and a pat on the helmet on the sideline.

Rice was a little more animated than that. He threw down some big spikes in the endzone, he pointed to the crowd, he played it up some.. nothing like a pre-practiced dance though.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

jmho - didn't Barry Sanders do the same exact thing regarding no celebration... 2 of the best ever.[/color]

Yep, and we can round out the trio with Walter Payton... pretty good company.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

Of course its a different era regarding celebrations. But I think JB would have stayed the same, if you remember he would conserve all his energy for the game. Walking back slow to the huddle, mostly to not let the D know how they effected him after hits. Just maintained the same gait back. I doubt he would expend the energy these guys do after scoring. With dancing jumping in the stands etc. Maybe the last play of a Championship game he would celebrate? But I think back in those days any celebration was met with a penalty???

jmho - didn't Barry Sanders do the same exact thing regarding no celebration... 2 of the best ever.

Yeah, it's a different era and frankly a different game. The sponsorship opportunities are incredible and a player needs to stand out to get them...

Not sure about Barry Sanders.. Jerry Rice was without a doubt a low key guy after scoring..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Most of the celebration stuff didn't start until the 90's. You had a few, but not many.

It just wasn't done years back, and is today. Had Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly been playing today, no telling what they would have done.

It is what it is and was what it was.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I think it was, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, that started the endzone celebrations.

#GMSTRONG
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
One play girl cover is equatable to 10 TD celebrations imo

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
I think it was, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, that started the endzone celebrations.

Haha. As soon as I read the post above yours he popped right into my head lol. I remember watching as a kid thinking "what's wrong with him?" Same season, another Cowboy threw a football way into the stands and the announcers said it was a $500 fine... I was in shock. "America's Team" definitely ushered into the new era of celebration chicanery.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
I just have a hard time thinking that Brown would do a dance in the end zone.. Just doesn't track for me.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I just have a hard time thinking that Brown would do a dance in the end zone.. Just doesn't track for me.

I get that.. but in the end, if he was a kid of the 90s/00s and that's what he knew, then odds are that's what he would have done...

Instead of being a black kid of the 40s/50s just trying to keep his head down and make it, he would have been a celebrated HS all-american, recruited by everybody to play multiple sports, he would have been wined and dined and pampered....

Different times, different world...

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
One play girl cover is equatable to 10 TD celebrations imo

No sure what you mean. I have never thumbed through a Playgirl before.

I'll be honest, I didn't care about the articles in Playboy. I bought it for the pictures.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Yes it was a different world back then, but well past the Pony Express days. They still had radios, TVs, telephones, and news wire services. According to the link below, Jim Brown was recruited by 45 colleges and universities.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/people/sports-and-games/sports-biographies/jim-brown

In my many years of observing JB, including encountering him twice as a young boy, the two words I would use to describe him are (1) dignified, and (2) serious. I have a very hard time believing this man would ever dance for anyone. The most exuberance I ever saw him show after a touchdown was to throw the football into the bleachers - one time. Every other time - and he scored 126 TDs - he just flipped the ball to the ref and jogged off the field. Then I remembered his scathing letter to Mike Holmgren when he felt Holmgren had disrespected him with a less than substantial role with the Browns - here's an excerpt:

"But in my conclusion, I’ve never danced in the end zone, I always gave the ball to the referee, so you should know I don’t dance.
Also Mike, I don’t hang out on the Westside of town. I’m an Eastside guy. I play my golf at Highland Golf Course. I don’t go to the Hall of Fame ceremonies, except on occasions, like when Gene Hickerson was inducted, and I felt very proud to be with Bobby Mitchell and Leroy Kelly in showing our respect for his great contribution, and for helping us become great players. I don’t have any trophies in my home on display. I don’t claim to be the best at anything, and I emphatically do not need validation from any man, so I will not participate in your Ring of Honor. . . .

Mike, there’s only one thing that I control in life, and that’s being a man. So let me end with a little humor, because as you say, one monkey don’t stop the show, and as I say “Willie Lynch missed a few of us”, and there will be no Buck Dancing."

From #32

http://www.clevelandfrowns.com/2010/09/questions-about-jim-brown-mike-holmgren-and-randy-lerner/

V
Legend
Legend
V
Awesome. And yeah, I did--and still--despise Mike Holmgren.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Why? He did such a great job he.....

Rode around training camp in his golf cart ..... looking like a beached whale .....

Oh, never mind. crazy rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Of all the people we've seen... he's the one that has let me down the most. I went too high from being excited to too low being what the Hell did we do signing this useless guy. Dude is probably still trying to use his food pass.

Legend
Legend
It should have been a clue when he was with Seattle and traded for Charlie Frye.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Baker Mayfield

Link Copied to Clipboard