Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
It's been a great job to me, can't knock it. Good benefits, I'm very comfortable there and the pay isn't bad either. But I feel it's become redundant. My responsibilites are not growing (even though I have asked for more) and I'm stuck in the same old thing day after day. It's to the point where I'm falling into a deep depression.

So I decided to finally look around for something else and I found an intriguing position working for the city. The benefits are better, the pay is better but I have to get out of my comfort zone.

I applied, I passed their written exam with flying colors and I nailed the interview and I got offered the job. So I've accepted and I'm ready to move on. All that is left is for me to pass the drug screening and background screening which I feel I have no problem at all doing.

Still I'm a a bit scared leaving a job I'm not happy with, but yet it pays the bills comfortably. I'm very excited to take this job but can't help with the thoughts in the back of my mind.....the what if's....that if this doesn't work out...What am I going to do?

Just wondering if anyone else here has faced this type of circumstance and what did you do?

Legend
Legend
A few years ago I took on much more responsibility than I was used to ... same sort of job, but just a new (promotional) position.

It took me a little time in the beginning to adjust, but I'm much happier now. I could never "go back" if that makes sense.

It's not just the pay ... it's the level of satisfaction I get as well.

Good for you psych

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Good luck Psy, I wish you the best. I can’t say anything about your move, as I’ve been with the same company for 39 years.

#GMSTRONG
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
All the best to you Psydeffect. Sounds like a great opportunity where you will thrive.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Good luck Psy, I wish you the best. I can’t say anything about your move, as I’ve been with the same company for 39 years.

Playing golf 40 hours a week does not qualify as work wink

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Change is good. Keeps our minds sharp. New challenges mean new neuro-pathways. I’m sure you’ll do great and in a couple years you’ll look back at any anxiety you’re feeling now as a minor blip.
I’ve been with my company for almost 14 years. About 5 years ago I changed roles from primary case management to being the company clinical liaison. It’s been a great change. Sadly it’s about all the further I can go with the company because of my education level. (Which I have no desire to change at my age.) So I’m staring down the barrel of about 16 years left in my career...in the same position. There’s no greener pastures, no better pay to be found elsewhere. Any move away from my company would be a significant step back.
So count yourself lucky that you had the option to move about. It’s a freedom not afforded everyone. My stepdad ran a glass boiler for John’s Manville for about 36 years. So I’d imagine anything is an upgrade from that.

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Leaps of faith are good things to take sometimes.

It sounds like you'll enjoy your new job a lot more.

I was in your shoes once upon a time.

I worked at Delta for 15 years, and quit to work full time on my business.

I liked working at Delta, but I was kind of pigeonholed into what I was doing, and building games was a lot more fulfilling to me.

It was kind of scary because I had no idea if I would succeed or fail.

But it was the best decision I ever made and wouldn't change it.

Doing new things where we can grow as a person is always better than being still.

Good luck!

No Craps Given
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
This is me on Monday (starting new gig), just with different reasons pushing me out the door after 8 years with one company (granted, I turn 30 at the end of the year).

A full one hour commute, organizational dysfunction and uncertainty on top my massive workload (which I asked to get reduced and was drowning in bit to no avail to my over their head manager) were my reasons. I’m in inside sales in the steel automotive industry, or should say “was” as I shift gears to plastics in the same industry, half an hour closer to home.

I was grateful for the opportunities for advancement. I mean can’t be too many companies that will hand the keys to a guy who was driving a forklift 3 years ago to be a de facto program/project manager with no formal education for that, but the stress of not being able to work your jobs into a lineup and working 7a-7p frequently because you are living a machine capacities nightmare (clowns over booking presses by hundreds of hours a month and not being able to influence that), it can make you look elsewhere.

I don’t think there’s much that can be done about the what if’s. I could be stepping into brown, yellow grass. Been telling myself that repeatedly to temper expectations. But this is the first time in my younger working career that I as an employee have been able to wield any semblance of leverage on the job market (negotiating vacation and pay on the way out and getting to ask questions to ensure I wouldn’t be in a similar situation and dig into benefits). That much is a somewhat invigorating concept in and of itself and why I think in yours and anyone else’s case depending on multiple factors, now is the time if you’re unhappy anywhere to explore those options. I know even if this gig goes sour my old employer would probably take me back in a heartbeat, though I want to keep the minimum of 5 hours a week I am gaining back home.

Just can’t know until you live through it and go from there if unhappy just as you did. One thing I’m thinking in my new work life is to use this as an opportunity to develop the best of habits from jump street. I think you can only try to focus on things like that, but obviously what’s more important to you (in your case perhaps managing more people or in a certain way?).

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think staying at the same job is a thing of the past.
It rare you can go to a company work your way up and retire with that company. Getting paid more will make you more comfortable than your current job. If it doesn't work out find something even better! It will probably work out just fine. Good luck! have fun

Joe Thomas #73
P
Legend
Legend
P
I had a very similar experience. I was with a company almost the exact amount of time as you were. I very much understand how you feel. There is a comfort level and a sense of security with your current job. You will now be moving to a new position, with new responsibility in an entirely new atmosphere.

To have a sense of apprehension is normal to the process. The problem is, without making such a move it's obvious from your post that you have become stagnant in your current position. There's no longer a sense of challenge where you are now. People spend far too much of their time during their life at work for them to simply go through the motions and not feel they're growing and have a sense of accomplishment out of what they're doing. At least a portion of our society feels that way.

Some have no problem doing the same thing day in and day out without ever challenging themselves at their jobs. People are just wired differently and what works well for some doesn't work so well with others.

One thing I learned early in life by working on the road was that people are people no matter where you go or where you work. Pretty much the same character make up is found within any group of people. If you're someone that fits in easily and gets along with people in general, you'll do just fine no matter where you travel or where you work.

While I was just as apprehensive as you are now when I made my job change, I soon found that it had been a waste of my energy. lol The move I made paid much more, had much better benefits and I had to take on much more responsibility. I found it very rewarding not only from the pay and benefits, but the new challenges and growth in my career.

Good luck there Bud! But for some reason I don't think you'll need it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Hopefully your assessment of your future boss(es) is spot on.

Great bosses are one of life's biggest pleasures.

There's no better feeling than looking forward to going to work Monday morning.

(and no worse feeling than dreading going to work Monday morning)

Good luck.

Last edited by rockyhilldawg; 07/08/18 01:46 PM.
Legend
Legend
I would bet that you'll do well at your new job.

As others have said, it's good to get out of your comfort zone and stretch yourself. 6 or 7 years ago, there is no way I would have seen myself giving sermons at church, but I had the opportunity to do so again today. I get to do a couple per year, and have found that I really enjoy it. Who knows, maybe once my back is (hopefully) back in one piece, I may consider this full time. That would really be stretching myself.

Anyway, it sounds like you have really thought this through, and it sounds like a great opportunity. The hardest part will probably be not seeing the familiar faces, and seeing unfamiliar faces instead. However, that just gives you the opportunity to make some new friends.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect

Just wondering if anyone else here has faced this type of circumstance and what did you do?

I'm in a similar situation now. Senior manager retired last year, new manager comes in and reorgs the department. In the process, I get moved from a job I like to a job I'm not liking so far. It's starting to get me thinking about looking around. I have good pay, good benefits, good work/life balance and a bunch of vacation time stashed up. It's going to be hard to leave. It makes me wonder if the grass is greener or if it will be a mistake.

Going to ride out the rest of the year and see if things get any better.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
Well, I'm there now bro. About to sell my business. My wife is very apprehensive because she's a puppet in the GM Lordstown show and we have no idea what tomorrow brings.

No job is ever worth being depressed, I've been there for a while now. I'm so stagnant, I have no desire to stay in the same field any longer. Part of it is hitting the "big 5-0" for me and wondering what it's all worth.

Do something that makes you happy. If a change of scenery will do that, be glad you have the opportunity to move on and don't look back. If you're the type of person looking for more responsibility in the job you've had - you're the type who will excel in a new environment.

Onward and upward young man!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I left my 16 year job at Nike about 20 months ago. I have no regrets. Glad I did it, but I'm not as challenged as I want to be - and working from home sucks most of the time (though to be fair, I'm more productive than being in an office setting). Regardless, I was hesitant and "nervous" but that faded away quickly.

Good luck!

O
Legend
Legend
O
There is an ocean of difference between being challenged by a new job, and getting in over your head.... and imo, there aren't shades of grey in the middle, either.

If you're getting in over your head, deep down you'd know it. Barring that, it's just a matter of getting into the swing of things at your new gig. Ask dumb questions as long as you've got the "new guy" label. Dumb questions and fails help you learn faster.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Thank you for the votes of confidence and well wishes guys, I've read through all of your posts. I need that greatly.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. I made sure to keep myself busy on my day off yesterday to keep my mind from racing.

I was so nervous about leaving that I turned down their original offer due to being worried about long term stability. but the director of public works called me back a few days later and assured me that I had nothing to worry about.

I'm going from working at a cemetery to working as an operator/laborer for a city that is very close by. They take care of their own cemeteries and like my experience and they view me as a good fit. I think I'm starting on that crew so I'm not getting to far out of my element.

I'm nervous and excited about learning some new skills. I was completely honest in my interview about what I would need training in.

Again thank you for your feedback and sharing your own stories. It makes me feel 100% better about making the jump.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Good luck!

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Good luck man! I've hit a bit of a crossroad myself. I'm a technical team lead but find myself doing less and less technical work lately. I figure if I'm going to have to stop doing the technical work I might as well go for something that pays more and is an actual supervisor. We'll see what happens. I've been at this place since 2005, though I've had 5 different jobs within that time as I moved up.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah but back to pysde... wink

Good luck man, hope it works out !

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good Luck!

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Be fair to yourself and realistic about you and the new job. There is a learning curve. Some of what you mention is just anxiety noise. Listen to be aware, but don't sell out to it becoming a real monopolizer of your attention.

Learn your job and more when possible. You are blessed to be in this fine a shape.

I wish you success. Make your own luck!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

I have not but I might soon. I'm in kind of the same position. Been at this job for 13 years and I'm starting to lose my enthusiasm for it.

The biggest challenge is that I've had raises and promotions but what I do on a daily basis hasn't changed, hasn't grown.. it's getting rather boring. Plus, what I do is "consulting" and I've been thinking hard about getting back closer to building..

The scariest part for me isn't even about the job.. I worked for this company when I moved to Raleigh 12 years ago and my best friends in the area work with me... so I would not just be quitting a job, I'd be risking my best friendships around here... the two guys I'm talking about specifically are lifers with my company and, as shallow as this may sound, I wonder if they would look at me as being "disloyal" if I left...

yebat' Putin
A
Legend
Legend
A
Eh, I don't know.

Last week, heading out on the lake. Phone call. My son.

"dad, I have an opportunity to interview for a management position. $10,000 a year raise. Same HMO, so I wouldn't lose any vacation or benefits. What should I do?"

Uh, find out more, apply, interview. You can always not accept, if you get offered."

People got to do what they got to do.

Legend
Legend
[quote=archbolddawg]Eh, I don't know.

Last week, heading out on the lake. Phone call. My son.

"dad, I have an opportunity to interview for a management position. $10,000 a year raise. Same HMO, so I wouldn't lose any vacation or benefits. What should I do?"

Uh, find out more, apply, interview. You can always not accept, if you get offered."

People got to do what they got to do. [/quote
I left a job I liked before when money was the sole motivator.. it didn't work out well.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:
The scariest part for me isn't even about the job.. I worked for this company when I moved to Raleigh 12 years ago and my best friends in the area work with me... so I would not just be quitting a job, I'd be risking my best friendships around here... the two guys I'm talking about specifically are lifers with my company and, as shallow as this may sound, I wonder if they would look at me as being "disloyal" if I left...

That's a tough call. It is another deciding factor as to why I'm leaving. Is that my good friends have already left and moved on to bigger and better things. I'm not sure if I would want to leave if they were still here.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That's a tough call. It is another deciding factor as to why I'm leaving. Is that my good friends have already left and moved on to bigger and better things. I'm not sure if I would want to leave if they were still here.
my best friend works with me, and I can sympathize completely.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Leaving a job I've been at for 17 years

Link Copied to Clipboard