Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c...sort of.

Can someone please tell me what Ward did that was so wrong and what he "should" have done? "Should" being what Williams wants.

It looks to me like he did the usual today's-NFL-thing but got slightly out-of-position once he committed.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
And again.....google whether or not nfl players would rather get hit high or at the knees. You will see tons of evidence of what I am talking about. You don't try and take a man's knees out. It's a cheap and dirty tactic.

Given the asinine rules and penalties the NFL and NFL officials are calling on players who attempt to tackle accordingly, the safest tackle from a DBs point of view is to cut bigger receivers/TEs.

Sure, from the point of view of a RB, you would not like being cut...but it works and the NFL has no one to blame but themselves.

Nothing illegal or dirty about tackling low...jmho

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1495435 08/28/18 11:15 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
mac, you like to research.

Go ahead and do one. I'm telling you that no way do NFL players like to be cut. Come at me high........I can ward you off, but don't go at my knees, b........!

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
mac, you like to research.

Go ahead and do one. I'm telling you that no way do NFL players like to be cut. Come at me high........I can ward you off, but don't go at my knees, b........!

What players WANT don't mean squat.

Mac is RIGHT. The assenine NFL is dictating what we see.

And they cover it up by saying we're concerned about SAFETY. MY ASS. They're concerned about another 1.5 Billion Dollar settlement.

mac #1495459 08/29/18 05:21 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:
And again.....google whether or not nfl players would rather get hit high or at the knees. You will see tons of evidence of what I am talking about. You don't try and take a man's knees out. It's a cheap and dirty tactic.

Given the asinine rules and penalties the NFL and NFL officials are calling on players who attempt to tackle accordingly, the safest tackle from a DBs point of view is to cut bigger receivers/TEs.

Sure, from the point of view of a RB, you would not like being cut...but it works and the NFL has no one to blame but themselves.

Nothing illegal or dirty about tackling low...jmho

Please explain on how cutting a player is the safest way to tackle. The amount of energy of a moving player is staggering, you don't stop him safely by being a wall.

Proper tackling like most of the things in football is a question of physics, leverages, momentum, center of gravity, etc

I actually think cutting its the worst way of tackling, you put yourself in danger, you put the other player in danger, and chances are you sooner or later going to make a fool out of yourself and lose a superbowl.

Regarding the rules of the NFL,I think any play that has the intention of punishing the opponent should be a foul, if you want a full contact,anything goes game, then remove the helmets and padding.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I think GW is doing a great job but like Trump sometimes his mouth gets ahead of his brain.
Our def looked good in preseason last year, too. Remember, we are playing vanilla offenses. Where was out D last year?

How many teams has Greg been fired from?

He has a lot to prove before I say hes doing a "great job". Also, you can take the political jabs to the forum...keep this football.

And it showed on the field during game day.
The defense was vastly improved from previous years. It was the only thing we could have hung our hats on last year. Just O was awful and could not compliment the D. Now I see improvement. I don't look at the stats and the score. I'm actually looking at the way they play. We made some great additions that will go a long way. Kid from Eagles Hendricks, big time addition. Avery all who wanted Chubb should get that one. Ward could be one of the next Island guy!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Gregg Williams is known for Bounty Gate. I think teaching guys to cut players as a primary form of tackling is not only fundamentally poor, but it is also dirty and cheap.
So I am not the biggest fan of Greg as I have stated, however - I blame this line of thinking on the NFL. I agree, as a player this is not how you want tackled for the reasons you stated, but as a coach trying to win a game, you don't want a penalty on 3rd and forever on a high hit to give life to a drive.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, there are several articles out there w/numerous quotes from players that the penalties for high hits are actually making the game more dangerous because of all the hits to the knees.

eotab #1495514 08/29/18 09:50 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: eotab
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I think GW is doing a great job but like Trump sometimes his mouth gets ahead of his brain.
Our def looked good in preseason last year, too. Remember, we are playing vanilla offenses. Where was out D last year?

How many teams has Greg been fired from?

He has a lot to prove before I say hes doing a "great job". Also, you can take the political jabs to the forum...keep this football.

And it showed on the field during game day.
The defense was vastly improved from previous years. It was the only thing we could have hung our hats on last year. Just O was awful and could not compliment the D. Now I see improvement. I don't look at the stats and the score. I'm actually looking at the way they play. We made some great additions that will go a long way. Kid from Eagles Hendricks, big time addition. Avery all who wanted Chubb should get that one. Ward could be one of the next Island guy!

jmho
I agree our defense is improved, but I believe that is simply form a sheer talent standpoint of making it a priority in the draft and FA over the last few years.

Ill give greg credit, hes lasted in the NFL for 20+ years, so obviously guys think he knows what he is doing, and those are guys that know more than me and you.

Maybe its just his personality, or maybe its playing our safeties 50 yards off the ball, I just don't like the guys scheme.

When you add the talent we have on D, ANY defense is going to improve. I just question that we got the max out of the talent we have.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Yeah, there are several articles out there w/numerous quotes from players that the penalties for high hits are actually making the game more dangerous because of all the hits to the knees.

I don't think its "more dangerous" as we have seen concusions are costing lives and actually leading to deaths.

I think more frequent injuries yes, I guess its how you look it at.

As a player, I know exactly the guys you are talking about. They play the game for a short period of time as is, and want to make as much as they can as fast as they can before they have to hang it up. Knee injuries and cut tackles shorten that length of time. However concussions and head injuries will last forever.

I agree tho, players would ABSOLUTELY rather the trade off for injuries down the road, than injuries now during their prime.

Dawgs4Life #1495851 08/29/18 08:33 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Well under Greg our tackling went from sloppy, timid, and embarrassing to excellent. The man knows how to coach tackling. He almost always provides a defense in the top 10 of the league wherever he goes. He just has a tough mentality that wears out the Hubris of HCs. Doesn't seem to bother Hue though so lets hope he stays here a good long time.

His personality reminds me a lot of myself actually ^^ I mean that he doesn't sugarcoat things and just says exactly what he means. That can be offensive to some but I like it myself =)

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

The point I was making earlier...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Denzel Ward

Link Copied to Clipboard