Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Imagine that. Coming from you. Who'da thunk it?

I DID NOT see that coming at all.

Shocking. Just shocking.

You know...............I get these types of comments. However, why the hell do you guys not make similar posts when guys like WSU, Memphis, device, etc hijack threads and trash Hue?

Why is it okay for them to get away w/similar posting styles--and doing it far more often than rasta does?

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Why the hell do you guys not make similar posts when guys like WSU, Memphis, device, etc hijack threads and trash Hue?

Yeah!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Edit. Inappropriate.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 09/03/18 08:55 AM.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Imagine that. Coming from you. Who'da thunk it?

I DID NOT see that coming at all.

Shocking. Just shocking.

Was it not true though?

You guys are talking about BM like he was a round 3 QB... He was the number one pick. Honestly with 4 games in the process and I still fail to see anything special... He didn't suck, and that was it.

And contrary to almost everybody's opinion, I think we have been kind of good drafting and signing QB's that don't suck, what we fail is in signing the good ones.

Chubb is also a bit disappointing, playing against backups a good player has to do much,much more.

Last edited by rastanplan; 09/03/18 09:23 AM.
Legend
Legend
If you don't see a good+ arm, and amazing accuracy, then you need glasses.

Baker needs to speed up the mental side of things. That's his biggest challenge right now. It appears that this is happening. His size hasn't been a problem. He has been able to scan the entire field, and has consistently worked through his progressions, when his 1st read isn't there.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

Baker needs to speed up the mental side of things. That's his biggest challenge right now. It appears that this is happening. His size hasn't been a problem. He has been able to scan the entire field, and has consistently worked through his progressions, when his 1st read isn't there.

QFT

What do you expect to see Rastan? How would you rate the other QBs in this class after their brief time on the field? He was the #1 pick because we had the #1 pick. We were drafting a QB because we needed one. For those reasons, all you can do is compare him to the rest of the class, a very premature comparison at that. I don't see anyone in this rookie class looking better... and most making me cringe a bit.

Here's Wentz's first outing (first preseason game that he played a full two quarters+) — 12 of 24, 89 yards, no touchdowns and an interception. Nobody was saying "Well, he was just above the suck line." Why? Because he showed that there was a good chance that he could adapt to NFL level play... If you haven't seen that from Baker, I don't know what to say bro!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

How can you access accuracy when he is throwing to such big windows?

Most of his passes are to wide open receivers, he does not throw it, or is not allowed, any other way. He is under 60% of completions, more on the 55% side, so how come he is an accurate passer?

Now QB's don't go over 60% by just making passes to wide open receivers, that is not how it works. They go above 60% because they are quick accurate passers, good decision making, arm to make the throws and talent to do it.

Good+ arm, IMHO is someone like Garapollo, BM has a very average arm IMHO, average for a starting NFL QB.

You could see the arm difference between Roback and Baker, and Brogan's arm is solid, not spectacular... Baker is some notches above Colt, but not that many, IMHO.

He definitively is not scanning the field, you are just seeing what you want to see.

IMHO he would be solid if we were talking about a 3rd round pick, but he has been average at the most for a first pick. Looking at his competition, Rosen, Darnold and Allen, I would say disappointing.

Last edited by rastanplan; 09/04/18 10:09 AM.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
"--Baker was more good than bad, but the bad concerns me. First the good. His arm is legit. I don't get the claim that he has a noodle arm. He was accurate. He moved in the pocket well. He made quick decisions when his first guy was open. My concern is that when his first read isn't open, he seemingly looks clueless. That's a pretty big concern moving forward. Not all will get that, but those who have listened to me talk about reading post-snap coverages over the years will get what I'm saying. "

I share,more or less the same view,just not the expectations.

The noodle arm stuff is just an over reaction to people raving about his arm, although I have seen many posters here saying Colt and Hoyer had noodle arms, without many rants...

Now,just curious, in the 32 starting QB's, where would you rank BM's arm? IMHO he is clearly on the bottom third... but maybe its only me.

Also strange to see that many posters who were never supporters of the JG trade now raving about BM...

Last edited by rastanplan; 09/04/18 11:01 AM.
Legend
Legend

Here ya go...

11 picture perfect passes (two were dropped)

3 throw aways - that's right, a QB that lives to play another down instead of making stupid throws... shame!

1 overthrown - Callaway, end zone, throwing a low percentage pass where only the WR can catch it. (Callaway still had an outside shot if not interfered with)

1 late - led receiver out of bounds after a rollout and nothing left of the play... again - throwing the ball where only his WR could catch it.

Are you actually blaming a QB for being "on time, on target"? What's wrong with throwing perfect passes to open windows? He's hitting receivers in stride and that's a bad thing?

FATE #1499789 09/05/18 10:13 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

Here ya go...

11 picture perfect passes (two were dropped)

3 throw aways - that's right, a QB that lives to play another down instead of making stupid throws... shame!

1 overthrown - Callaway, end zone, throwing a low percentage pass where only the WR can catch it. (Callaway still had an outside shot if not interfered with)

1 late - led receiver out of bounds after a rollout and nothing left of the play... again - throwing the ball where only his WR could catch it.

Are you actually blaming a QB for being "on time, on target"? What's wrong with throwing perfect passes to open windows? He's hitting receivers in stride and that's a bad thing?

I would say 11 passes any other QB could have made them... picture perfect... you need to adjust your TV...

Most of the passes I've seen from BM were done with big windows and open receivers, that was the impression I had from the 4 pre-season games.

No QB in the NFL can succeed throwing only with big windows,he has to risk it,something he seldom did in the 4 games. Now if you don't do it in pre-season when is he going to do it?

I've seen Rosen, Darnold, Allen and even Lamar do what they were supposed to do. Baker was/is supposed to be a 70% completion QB... haven't seen that.

What is more, yes he displayed some of the things that were his strengths, he indeed has a good short and intermediate ball, but he didn't disprove the ones criticizing him...

Bakers doubts were:
1) He is an engineered QB, his numbers came from throwing into big windows, playing behind a great OL
2) He holds the ball to long, and has problems taking decisions
3) He does not take risks, yes he does not turn the ball but he won't be moving the chains in an average/bad team.
4) He stares into receivers (he improved that a little on the last games)
5) His arm is average at most, average in the sense that he is on bottom third in arm strength/talent of NFL QB starters
6) His physical attributes are bad.
7) He has happy feet, starts moving way before the pocket is even threatened.

Now, IMHO, none off his weaknesses has been disproved, and honestly, IMHO, he has displayed a very low ceiling although I agree that the floor is high also, but like we all know.

Having average QB's has never been an issue for the Browns, we are the backup QB factory of the NFL....

Last edited by rastanplan; 09/05/18 10:16 AM.
Legend
Legend

That's cool, we all see things differently. Yes, wide open windows, still - balls were thrown to the perfect spot for YAC, we haven't seen that in years. I just can't wrap my mind around the concept that a rookie QB should avoid open windows and throw into tighter windows - just to prove he can.

Should a rookie pitcher constantly get behind in the count just to prove he can battle back?

Should a young boxer, reserve his knockout power and get behind on the scorecards just to prove he can fight into the later rounds?

There's a time and a place - as long as you can identify the open WR and throw into a big window, you should be doing that... and we should be applauding it lol.

FATE #1499857 09/05/18 12:13 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
To add... I watch other teams on Sundays. Usually while doing so I see QBs hitting wide open receivers at times and think to myself, “why do our receivers never get that open?”. Brady is constantly throwing to tiny white wide open receivers. Maybe ours have been getting wide open and we just never had a QB that could find them? Or maybe they weren’t but we have some that can now?
Either way I can find faults in Baker’s game at this point in his young career but throwing accurate passes to wide open receivers isn’t one of them.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Most of the passes I've seen from BM were done with big windows and open receivers, that was the impression I had from the 4 pre-season games.

No QB in the NFL can succeed throwing only with big windows,he has to risk it,something he seldom did in the 4 games. Now if you don't do it in pre-season when is he going to do it?

I've seen Rosen, Darnold, Allen and even Lamar do what they were supposed to do. Baker was/is supposed to be a 70% completion QB... haven't seen that.

I think you are seeing what you want to see.. discounting Mayfield's throws and inflating other QBs throws.

Just sat and watched every throw of Darnold in week 3 and his top 5 plays of the preseason... a couple nice throws he fit into a tight window.. a lot of throws to pretty open guys while he was scrambling around outside the pocket or dancing his feet around inside the pocket... A couple to wide open guys that were catchable but not accurate enough for YAC.... I saw absolutely nothing in his throws that I haven't also seen in Mayfield.

yebat' Putin
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

I think you are seeing what you want to see.. discounting Mayfield's throws and inflating other QBs throws.

Just sat and watched every throw of Darnold in week 3 and his top 5 plays of the preseason... a couple nice throws he fit into a tight window.. a lot of throws to pretty open guys while he was scrambling around outside the pocket or dancing his feet around inside the pocket... A couple to wide open guys that were catchable but not accurate enough for YAC.... I saw absolutely nothing in his throws that I haven't also seen in Mayfield.

Tom Brady has a 64% completion percent in his career. You don't get this just by throwing to wide open receivers,you do it taking risks. He has a 3 TD's to every Int he has, and 2% of his passes are Int's, which is very good, but also shows that he is taking risks, he's just the best one doing that.

BM is far from showing any of this numbers, very far from it, he is on the 50's even playing against backups, so...

Comp % in the NFL is a pretty good indicator of a good QB (except for Chad Pennington), and it is my feeling that this was the motivation behind drafting Baker, being consistent on having high comp. percentages.

Last edited by rastanplan; 09/07/18 09:38 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Preseason Looking Back: Browns 35 Lions 17 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard