Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

Rookie play, IMHO, nothing outstanding, BM had much better plays than this one.

This play and the dime perfectly placed that Callaway dropped were the 2 best passes of the game.
You continue to amaze me with what you are seeing. You not even in the minority on it. In "all of football" you may be the ONLY person that thinks your way.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
You have always been courteous to me...cant say that for others. j/s

D
Legend
Legend
D
What about the pass to VICE GRIPS that set up our first TD ...

I’d put that at #2 ... and the pass Callaway dropped at #3 ...

But thats prolly nit picking ....

And its way better than arguing about witch pick was worse ... thumbsup

E
Legend
Legend
E
For much of the game we were in a spread formation and also in a 2 minute drill atmosphere. It was mentioned in the Haley presser that most of Mayfields practice with the ONES was in 2 minute drills.

I hope we keep it spread although I still would like to see him under center so that we can run the ball. I hate running the ball out of Shotgun. You have no downhill momentum. I don't wish to see Charles out there (82) as often as we did. Can't wait for Devalve to be healthy. This will be a real test, you know the Raiders are going to bring the kitchen sink against the kid. We haven't had many shots at 2 in a row. This will be great for the team and something to build on.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am all in on Baker. I questioned his arm strength and size but his arm was exploding on Thursday night. Not just that, the anticipation throws were outright unbelievable for a rookie. I don't know that I have ever seen a rookie throw a post before the WR clears the linebacker in my life.

One of my biggest concerns was coming from the worst defensive conference in the country how would he adapt when guys are streaking wide open. Man, that anticipation is elite. I don't know if he can replicate it from game to game, but that is ELITE anticipation what I saw Thursday night. If that's the kid we get every game, this team has playoff potential and NOT in the future...RIGHT NOW.

Then on that play where Landry drew the holding penalty and Mayfield hit the WR along the sideline.....HOW DID HE SEE THAT rusher? HOW DID HE SEE HIM?

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Without a doubt that has to be top 3 passes any way you look at it brother.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

This is the throw I was referring to. I don't know if I have ever seen a rookie make this type of anticipation throw in the NFL. All pros sometimes can't squeeze that one in.

In time he is going to learn to hold that safety there and hit the post on the left for a TD.

We have a player folks.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Awesome pass BpG.
Anticipation can't be coached. Those type throws you either have that knack or you don't. Yes he is gonna throw picks with that gunslinger mentality but with playing time and games under his belt he is gonna win lots more games and TD than losses and picks.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG

We have a player folks.

That's so funny because similar words have been ringing in my ears for a week.

At the game last Thursday my son was fired up. We were standing and screaming most of the second half, after that pass he yelled pretty loud...

"Looks like we have a quarterback folks!"

Everybody cheered - it was special.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Baker Baker Window Maker

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I never got to comment on the beginning of the Baker Mayfield era because apparently an S bomb warrants a near two week ban. Eyeroll.

That Jets game felt like the Cleveland Browns we've always known. It's our game to win, a weak opponent at home who realistically shouldn't win. Within minutes the excitement turns to frustration. The we'll-give-them-a-chance favoured Browns are humiliating themselves on national television. The offense is incapable, the defense begins to deflate, and I'm suddenly wondering just how many touchdowns we're going to lose by. I almost turned the game off when Crowell wiped his ass with the football and threw it into the dawgpound. I was angry and upset. In that moment, I was perfectly willing to see the whole thing blown up.

I promised myself I wouldn't do it, but watching on with my brother, I was calling for Mayfield. I appreciate Tyrod Taylor and all he's done, but it wasn't fair to watch the guy bashing his head against the wall. He was doing everything he could, and it amounted to nothing. Why put the rookie in to face that situation? Why risk humiliating him? Who cares, let's see what he's got.

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I felt a sense of relief when Tyrod when down. I didn't know if Jackson would pull the trigger, I couldn't blame him if he didn't do it, but Taylor's injury gave us the perfect opportunity; Baker can either look good, or he can look bad. In either case, there is no pressure, he's just backing-up as a back-up does.

What I didn't expect was what happened never. On a night that seemed so indicative of what the Cleveland Browns are, something so antithetical of what the Cleveland Browns are seemed so far out of reach.

From the moment Mayfield entered the game, everything was different. The broadcast showed him smiling in the huddle and patting someone on the helmet prior to spitting out the playcall. We're down by 14 and getting our asses kicked: I'm not accustomed to seeing energy in this situation.

It almost feels pompous to chronologically list what happened next. It feels dramatized. The game feels like a draft for the script of a sequel, opening with the game where the Draft Day film ended.

I've never seen anything like it. Baker was calm, controlled and methodically moved the ball. The game didn't look too fast for him, and at times he looked too fast for the game. It wasn't some heroic deep shot that turned the game but a continued series of throwing in which Mayfield consistently could not be stopped. The entire team clearly fed off that energy. The Cleveland Browns, in one night, stopped being the Cleveland Browns.

I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. We've seen plenty of light at the end of the tunnel, one for the light to dissipate before even getting close to the revelation of what lies beyond the obscurity of "almost."

It never happened. Play after play, it just didn't.

In such a situation, I'm begging the clock to run down. Hit zero. Browns win. Frankly, I just didn't want it to end. I wanted another quarter. A third half. Play again. Rematch. As incredible as it was for the losing streak to end, the end of that game just felt like a delay in the new era of Browns football.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Mayfield in the draft. Wasn't against him the way I was a Josh Allen selection, but he wasn't my guy. My guy was the guy who looked hopelessly outmatched against Baker Mayfield and Cleveland's fervent pace. I didn't think Mayfield was ready, and I wanted him learning all year before putting his talents on display. On both accounts, it only took one game to feel like we've found a franchise quarterback.

With the above said, I won't run hot or cold. Peaks come with valleys, and I expect Mayfield will have his fair share of struggles over the next two years. It's part of the business, and as much as it feels like a fairytale right now, all fairy tales have their low point.

What we have seen, however, feels like the foundations of something to truly build on. Someone to be patient with. Someone who could legitimately be the franchise quarterback we've been so desperately looking for.

For now, however, I can't remember the last time being a Browns fan was so much damn fun.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Jets 17 Mayfield Era Begins!

Link Copied to Clipboard