Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Wont say much about BM because people here take all criticism like hate, I like what I see, big problem is that I don't enjoy his type of QB, still think he has a very low ceiling.

I think there's a difference in criticizing and blatantly making things up.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly don't blame all of the turnovers on Baker. But I do believe that those turnovers had a lot more to do with the loss than some of the nitpick BS some fans seem to be concentrating on.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
Originally Posted By: FATE

I had a moment reading this thread. I thought - wow, imagine if we drafted Darnold and were watching his second game thinking this is really gonna take some time... while watching week 4 of BakerMania in full force in New York.

Neither QB has shown any glimpse of long-term success in this small sample size, but the shoe on the other foot may have had us crying in our beers right now.

Eh.. question is does Darnold have what Baker has to work with?

no offense to you,but I've now seen these several times.At first I was amazed,now I just chuckle.At myself for being amazed.
Let's look at that vaunted Browns skill position group.
Landry,one of the best in the business.
A rookie WR with great speed,questionable hands and zero route running ability.
A 2nd year athletic TE with questionable hands.
Higgins i'm not certain what's happening there,but he seems to be making plays when called upon.
And finally,an underused 3rd down back.

Take away Landry,and those other "guys" aren't going to win many football games.

Oh shoot, no offense taken.. I was more looking at the Hyde / Chubb tandem.. Landry, and the potential this Oline has. Callaway and Njoku are questions still.

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wanted Darnold, and I happily admit I was WRONG.

Your nitpicking is really nauseating to me.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
It's fair to point out legitimate things that Baker has to improve upon. I think that his evaluation was fair.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not when he does it on each post he makes. JMHO

Legend
Legend
Under center is a clear improvement area, at least from a ball control standpoint .. we can't have these issues where we waste downs or turn it over

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I'm hoping that there is a follow-up article each quarter of the way through the season and at the end of the season.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Honestly too soon to tell,but I like the 4 QB's

Wont say much about BM because people here take all criticism like hate, I like what I see, big problem is that I don't enjoy his type of QB, still think he has a very low ceiling.

Darnold can make a living in the NFL with his scrambling to the left. his team sucks.

Allen is the biggest surprise for me... Think Carr was right and that he is in fact special. Bills OL is attrocious, no QB can flourish like that.

Rosen... he's a superstar, best QB in this draft by far, IMHO.

What is this based on?

College? You agenda? Your opinion based on what side of the bed you got out of this morning?

It is most definitely not based on their play in the NFL which is what (IMO) the original post was about.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: mgh888

Darnold can make a living in the NFL with his scrambling to the left. his team sucks.

Allen is the biggest surprise for me... Think Carr was right and that he is in fact special. Bills OL is attrocious, no QB can flourish like that.

What is this based on?

College? You agenda? Your opinion based on what side of the bed you got out of this morning?

It is most definitely not based on their play in the NFL which is what (IMO) the original post was about.

This is a forum, so aren't we supposed to post our opinion?

Or do you only like the people who think like you?

And by the way, I think this first games confirmed what I thought, except for Allen that is much better than I thought.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Time will tell with these QBs

They all look good.

Baker showed well coming out in a tough spot and balling out, then putting up 40+ points his next outing
Throws the ball with better zip then I thought, still moves well, still displays great ball placement, still willing to try stick a ball into a tight spot

Darnold- looks like a young Andy Dalton

Rosen-looks like the most polished QB of the group....as long as he's not pressured then all bets are off

I still think Lamar has the highest ceiling of the group but he won't see the field till next year (most likely)

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mgh888

What is this based on?

This is a forum, so aren't we supposed to post our opinion?

Or do you only like the people who think like you?

And by the way, I think this first games confirmed what I thought, except for Allen that is much better than I thought.

No, I appreciate diverse viewpoints. But I like them to be based in reality. Calling Rosen a Superstar in the NFL is more than premature. In the game between Jets and Baker -- are you suggesting that Darnold looked better? Or are you suggesting that if the QB's played for the other teams Baker would have looked worse than Darnold and and Darnold would have played better than Baker? Because I don't see it

Allen has shown off amazing arm talent and strength. But he was inaccurate in college and if you can name me the last 3 QB's that improved their accuracy at the NFL level compared to their college numbers maybe I'll start to believe Allen has a chance to do that.

I hope that all 4 of them are legit stars for a generation - it'd make for captivating stories every year. But through 4 games I think we got the best QB - period. Based on what I have seen with each in the NFL.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks YTown.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: BpG

The Ravens do not suck. We are going to find out where Baker is with his development Sunday.

Your right, we are. Either Baker gets eaten alive by their pass rush and coverage schemes(very likely) or he plays lights out (unlikely).

Again, I think Baker Mayfield is the future of this organization BUT that future is NOT this year, and we should have waited to play him. Let Taylor play and win or lose games while we develop Baker, that was the plan. Winning was not the plan this year with this roster turnover.

We made a big mistake naming Baker the starter, people missed my point completely in the other thread.

it has ZERO TO DO WITH BAKER BEING THE BETTER QB RIGHT NOW, THAT DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL.

What matters is:

1. Following the plan.(to sit Mayfield)
2. Developing Mayfield over the course of the year.
3. Giving Mayfield spot duty to play towards the end of the year.(Like Mahomes got) so he could develop.

Alonzo Highsmith said it before the year started:

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

Know what that statement means? Its means those who do get punched in the mouth, and yet stick with their plan and don't freak out at the 1st sign of success or failure are the ones who are successful longterm. Those who knee jerk or drasticlaly alter course at the 1st sign of success or failure are the ones who fail longterm.

Playing Baker Mayfield right now this year is a terrible longterm investment on this organizations future. We had a much much much higher probability of success with that pick by sitting him this year, developing him, and grooming him for next.

Remember, Tom Brady: "If I had to start as a rookie I probably wouldn't be in the league today" that quote is right from the best, When will Browns fans ever listen and have any pateince....

You know what the definition of insanity is?

Doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting different results...all we have done is rush to throw in rookie Qb to play out the get, and how has that worked out for us? not well.

Baker had an ok half against the Jets, and merely an Ok game against the Raiders(Who were one of the leagues lower ranked D) only going 21-41 for less then 300 yeards with 2 Td, 2 picks, and a 70 rating...its not a glow endorsement.

I really like Mayfield, but man the kid needed the time on the bench and practice in the worst way to be the best he can be, we are just stunting his growth process....and when he REALLY starts to struggle in the next 4-5 games, many on here will be calling him a bust and saying he sucks and blah, blah, blah like we have the last 15 years./..

there is no instant gratification, we don't have a Rodgers or a Farve so we have to rely on our coaches to develop a QB, and that isn't going to happen by playing him as a rookie before he really understands the nuances of NFL defenses.

It really sucks to watch us ruin Baker before without giving him a fair chances to develop.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
He had much better than an "OK" half against the Jets. He was excellent, with basically 1 mistake the who time with the pass into the endzone.

He was also better than "OK" against the Raiders. He definitely made some mistakes, but he also had 9 dropped passes.

You ruin a quarterback usually by "shellshocking" him. Our line has played pretty decent, and we have decent run support. Baker will make mistakes, but he'll also make a lot of good plays as well.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: cle23
He had much better than an "OK" half against the Jets. He was excellent, with basically 1 mistake the who time with the pass into the endzone.

He was also better than "OK" against the Raiders. He definitely made some mistakes, but he also had 9 dropped passes.

You ruin a quarterback usually by "shellshocking" him. Our line has played pretty decent, and we have decent run support. Baker will make mistakes, but he'll also make a lot of good plays as well.

I said before the Faiders game that it would boil down to if Bake had more good plays in relation to bad plays ....

He was responsible for 3 or 4to’s ... Trettier admittted to snapping it on the wrong count .. if he’s not just protecting Bake, u can’t put that on Bake ...

Regardless 3 or 4 turnovers is to many ... the team and Bake played good enough to overcome them if it wasn’t for the refs and the 9 dang drops ..

Legend
Legend
There's a difference between sharing an opinion and stating your opinion as if it were a fact....not to mention supporting your opinions with falsehoods.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I imagine that the sites that chart drops only has the drops around 2. I think it was Hue who said there were nine drops. I also think that people are not recognizing the good catches, like the one Landry had in the end zone. Or the one by Higgins diving out of bounds. Or the one by Landry last week in traffic down by the goal line.

I think these things balance themselves out for the most part. I do think Baker will probably continue to throw some picks because he throws lasers into traffic and the ball placement is not perfect. They're accurate throws. Good throws. But, they are dangerous throws.

I am okay w/a qb throwing some picks if he makes more big plays than bad plays.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Is your post satirical by design? Is it some sort of allegory for something else?

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I imagine that the sites that chart drops only has the drops around 2. I think it was Hue who said there were nine drops. I also think that people are not recognizing the good catches, like the one Landry had in the end zone. Or the one by Higgins diving out of bounds. Or the one by Landry last week in traffic down by the goal line.

I think these things balance themselves out for the most part. I do think Baker will probably continue to throw some picks because he throws lasers into traffic and the ball placement is not perfect. They're accurate throws. Good throws. But, they are dangerous throws.

I am okay w/a qb throwing some picks if he makes more big plays than bad plays.

I agree that there was some pretty good catches in the game and the Landry catch in the endzone was one. But the pass was a perfect pass by Baker as well.

And yes you was the one who said 9 drops and I didn't go back and actually count them individually but I know Callaway had 3 or 4 himself

Legend
Legend

One thing I might add.

Grading Darnold a D+ is weird to me. He won a game. He is on a bad team with OL that is not good.

He is a rookie. He is the youngest starting QB since who knows when.

How can anyone expect him not to have some struggles?

B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
You listed a lot of things, but you neglected to mention the 4 turnovers. Any reason for that?

Come on Vers , it was actually 1 turnover. One bounced off Landry's hands, one the center snapped the ball while Baker was calling a aduible, one the o-line let him get his arm hit from behind.

I admit I wanted Darnold. I think you did too. I will admit I was wrong. Baring injury I think Baker has a chance to be great.

It’s a very good point.... posters claiming Baker turned it over 4 times aren’t any less biased than posters ignoring the couple that he did have... just biased in a different direction.

Baker is a rookie and will make rookie mistakes. It’s super early but if you HAD to give Baker a grade so far it’s an A... clearly. Perfection is not reasonable 2 games in. He needs to keep developing to keep that grade for sure but that should be obvious.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not "biased," and I am tired of you saying that I am. Make your own points and leave me out of it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I can't prove it - but I don't believe there are many, if any, HC's in the NFL that would advocate not starting their best QB, especially when the best QB on the roster is also your future franchise QB.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not quite sure you're correct here. The plan was to sit Baker and I think that was a sound plan. I'm pretty sure when that plan was developed that the entire organization knew that Baker was a far more gifted QB than TT.

I think teams have both short term goals as well as long term goals. Had TT even have played average football I believe he would still be the starter. I think that was the plan and would still be the plan had that have happened. It simply didn't so the plan was forced to change.

I think Baker would have been better off had he of had the opportunity to sit longer. It's a huge transition from the system he played in college to the NFL.

The great thing is Baker has played in adverse situations before. He has always stepped up to meet that challenge. His personality isn't going to cause him to wilt in the face of adversity. I don't believe that starting him before he's completely ready is going to cause him to fail the way it has some QB's.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
We saw rookie QBs flop .... especially the last 2 years. I have no problem with Baker starting on the bench, and seeing the Pro game from the sidelines.

I really think that helped him a lot when he was called upon.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Initial Evaluations of 1st Round QBs

Link Copied to Clipboard