Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think I'm most impressed by Baker's humble, down-to-earth, work-hard attitude. His focus is on continuing to get better, and being part of a great team. So refreshing. The performances have been good, very good, impressive, but it's his maturity and attitude that have me locked in.

thumbsup

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I think I'm most impressed by Baker's humble, down-to-earth, work-hard attitude. His focus is on continuing to get better, and being part of a great team. So refreshing. The performances have been good, very good, impressive, but it's his maturity and attitude that have me locked in.

thumbsup

Even his poop smells like flowers...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

thumbsup

They only thing that smells like poop are your QB evaluations.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Ty sir .... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
All this talk of saying Baker Mayfield "Is the guy" is premature. He has played 2 and a half games. I am not sold on him being the guy yet because he hasn't played long enough for D coordinators to adjust.

Derek Anderson threw for nearly 4,000 yards and 29 TD in 2007 putting him in the Top 9 in the league in passing yards, 1st in the NFL in yards per attempt, and put him around the Top 12 in the league statistically, but guess what? He couldn't keep it going...it took NFL D coordinators about a year to figure out his tendencies and once they did...that was it for him.

Mayfield is going to have to have to prove longterm that he is the guy, and the game he had yesterday leaves more questions then it answers. We scored 12 points ok...12 points...thats not some coming out party for an elite QB. The raiders have one of the worse D's in the league and he still turned over the ball 4 times, throwing two picks.

I will continue to be measured. I am not crowing him "the guy" until he proves he is the guy, and you prove it by doing what Rick Flair said...by winning, consistently, I am not denying Mayfield has talent, im not denying Mayfield could end up being the guy, but its way too soon to be crowing him as some potential savior...He has won a game and lost a game as a starter, and came in relief in another...he still has a lot to prove, hell he still has a logn ways to go to cement that he belongs in the NFL.

NFL history is chalk full of flash in the pan guys, that have a decent year and then fade away. What will Mayfield be? guess we will find out in 2-3 years, but we won't find out this year short of a Super Bowl Win.

Ok, but... he's the guy.

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

thumbsup

I'm not going to ask how you know, but dude, keep that stuff to yourself. saywhat

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
All this talk of saying Baker Mayfield "Is the guy" is premature. He has played 2 and a half games. I am not sold on him being the guy yet because he hasn't played long enough for D coordinators to adjust.

Derek Anderson threw for nearly 4,000 yards and 29 TD in 2007 putting him in the Top 9 in the league in passing yards, 1st in the NFL in yards per attempt, and put him around the Top 12 in the league statistically, but guess what? He couldn't keep it going...it took NFL D coordinators about a year to figure out his tendencies and once they did...that was it for him.

Mayfield is going to have to have to prove longterm that he is the guy, and the game he had yesterday leaves more questions then it answers. We scored 12 points ok...12 points...thats not some coming out party for an elite QB. The raiders have one of the worse D's in the league and he still turned over the ball 4 times, throwing two picks.

I will continue to be measured. I am not crowing him "the guy" until he proves he is the guy, and you prove it by doing what Rick Flair said...by winning, consistently, I am not denying Mayfield has talent, im not denying Mayfield could end up being the guy, but its way too soon to be crowing him as some potential savior...He has won a game and lost a game as a starter, and came in relief in another...he still has a lot to prove, hell he still has a logn ways to go to cement that he belongs in the NFL.

NFL history is chalk full of flash in the pan guys, that have a decent year and then fade away. What will Mayfield be? guess we will find out in 2-3 years, but we won't find out this year short of a Super Bowl Win.

Ok, but... he's the guy.

Some will say got to wait 3 years or so...the idiot THE HERD is saying 13 years from now what a dolt...smh

But there are players that you can say what you see and that is obvious. This kid truly is a Franchise QB. Also recognized by many others. Listen to the DC of Ravens. When have they ever said they will be seeing this guy or that guy for the next 10 years. So game plan is important.

But you can just watch...you can just see the amazing plays, the small windows he is hitting. The QB play that you know will get better. I mean statistically he is just average. But if you watch the games. You know the kid has ELITE written all over him. Thank goodness he is a Brown, its been a long time waiting.

DC, its fun watching him and knowing he is going to get better and better.

For me its in the past we would see our QB with time whether they create it or the OL provides it... But finally you see him throw the ball and the expectation is hitting a wide open WR....in the past what ends up would be an INT or a pass no where close to the target or thrown away.

But with Baker you are watching in our view by TV the QB creating time and then finally throwing the ball and hitting the WR right on the money (sometimes dropped frown ) to a WR for a big gain, not a dink drop off for 3 yards but the kid knows where the first down is and looking to not complete just a pass but to actually make the first even if its 3rd and 18!

We finally got the guy, if others wish to put an * to his game and say we can't...well THEY CAN'T, we you and me and others can. The kid IS a Franchise QB, we got to continue now and build a team around him!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

Season 1, Episode 16: Baker Mayfield's Pocket Movement and Awareness in Week 5

Joined once again by PFF's Brendan Leister, we dig in on the abilities and presence Baker Mayfield is showing both inside and outisde the pocket. Specifically, we dig into mechanics within the pocket and how QB coaches teach their Q's how to operate within chaos. It's all about feel that comes from daily repetition. Enjoy!

*FF to 8:14 to skip the QB pocket maneuverability drills.

I'm joined once again by @PFF's @BrendanLeister as we break down:

8 minutes of QB pocket mechanics with drills
5 plays of Mayfield's pocket work from Sunday
Just how good Mayfield is through 10 quarters

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 10/11/18 08:14 AM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Good stuff

L
Legend
Legend
L
looking at that kinda shows that harrison is really bad..Mayfield makes him look better than he is. He was getting beat inside, outside, bull rush..

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
looking at that kinda shows that harrison is really bad..Mayfield makes him look better than he is. He was getting beat inside, outside, bull rush..

Don't know how you come away with that...anyone have a link so that I can see the game again...For some reason Direct TV is deleting my saved games. I checked and it shows that it was deleted by the Living Room box...but I never did so and my wife wouldn't dare touch it and its not just one game it is all 5 games which I did not delete anyone of them but all were deleted and the history of recordings show that it was deleted by my Living Room Box... ??? Hmmm Anyways I need a full game view so that I can review every rep of Harrisons and give my more than opinion but Facts of how and why he did what he did.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Download the Sunday Ticket app. You can watch all the old games there. They edit them to less than an hour but keep every play.

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I recollect he had trouble with the bull rush at times and late...I don't recollect issues inside (maybe a missed assignment) and definitely NOT outside. jmo

Legend
Legend
Harrison needs to add strength. He got bull rushed badly.

That was one thing that was a concern starting the season. I think that he'll improve technique wise this season, as he plays more, but it's really going to take a serious off-season strength training program for him to his his full potential.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Technique will help him, too.... but, part of it is simply the fact that Suggs is just a beast.

I didn't look too closely, but what little I saw, when he was getting pushed back, he was allowing his upper body to get too upright. He wasn't playing with any sort of leverage.

All of it will improve a lot both as the season goes on and as we go through the next offseason. A full offseason eating meals on an NFL salary and lifting in an NFL strength program will do amazing things for him.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And sometimes when he was getting "pushed back", it wasn't into the pocket. Instead he was keeping Suggs outside. It's one of the same tactics Joe Thomas employed in his game. You allow the player to move up field but you keep him to the outside where he never actually has any impact on the play. Sometimes it's more about technique than strength.

Now I do agree with those who have said that he got pushed back into the pocket by Suggs at times. But not to the level some seem to indicate he did. He's a raw kid who has a ways to go. All of that is true. He does need to get stronger and work on his technique.

But the skill set is there to be a good NFL LT. We've seen teams miss many times on high draft picks at the position because that skill set is so very rare. We didn't miss.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
A full offseason eating meals on an NFL salary and lifting in an NFL strength program will do amazing things for him.

My season ticket rep invited me for lunch last week. I asked Briana about a very athletic woman standing in line. She told me that was the nutritionist who works with the players, especially the rookies, teaching them how to shop and eat healthy, and that she works with the strength and conditioning coaches to build integrated diet and strength programs.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Harrison needs to add strength. He got bull rushed badly.

That was one thing that was a concern starting the season. I think that he'll improve technique wise this season, as he plays more, but it's really going to take a serious off-season strength training program for him to his his full potential.

Snap shots do not paint an accurate picture. Harrison was outstanding in our last game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The knock on Harrison was that he was not strong enough, I am positive that that was Suggs strategy against him.

That can be corrected. Again we are not looking at the finished product in Harrison, only the best that we can put out there for now.

I remain optimistic about the kid. I though this was his red-shirt year.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

E
Legend
Legend
E
You are correct on the technique...to stop the bull rush Harrison only has to have a good knee bend. If he is too upright he will get pushed back. Its probably the 2nd most Edge move that I see week in and out...Quick Edge rush is #1 and then #2 is the Bull rush with #3 being the inside move.

Harrison has to make his first step with a quick kick slide but then maintain the KNEE BEND and he then could cope with the bull rush.

I saw a video on my phone YOU TUBE is my new reading material on the throne...lol laugh This clip showed every pass by Mayfield. I didn't really see Harrison get beat I did see a coverage sack where Mayfield left the pocket into Suggs.
I did see the bull rush a couple of times but didn't see it as a major issue for Baker. The bull rush took time and Baker was able to easily step up out of any danger for the most part.

The worst was a blitz up the A or maybe B gap that went right at Baker and got him killed. but not Harrison's area.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
He has zero leverage from what i can tell ... haven’t watched a game on DVR since ... well week 2 ... i just learned all that new stuff form the Joe Thomas video and Vers and purp and maybe someone one else ...

Was really cool stuff ... learned about hand placement and leverage and when run blocking going after the hips to knock the dlman off balance and the leverage ...

Leverage was HUGE ....

Harrison seemed pretty good to me on the hand placement stuff but really bad at the leverage on both run and pass plays ... all about the knee bend ...

U know what he has my friend .... GREAT FEET ... wink ...

thumbsup

Legend
Legend
yeah, the good thing to remember is that Harrison is not close to a finished product. Just think if he gets some experience, some strength, and some consistency

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 12 Ravens 9 Mayfield named starter too soon

Link Copied to Clipboard