Print Thread
#1535237 10/22/18 10:41 AM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
What I saw was two different teams out there.

1. the first half of Dink and dunk passes of 2-3 yards depending on YAC which we got little.

Then the 2nd half where we let Baker throw the passes over 10 yards with the same completion pct. Also finally a repoire with Landry...Finally! I was getting upset with the under 5 yard routes.

It seemed with every good offensive production especially in the run game. We had a holding call or a block in the back.

Refs...still jobbing us another false start on their RT I believe was not flagged this time we played Defense regardless of the none call.

What disgusted me the most is that Baker ran for 35+ yards and at the end slid as he slid he was hit in the HEAD with the Helmet of the defender not shoulder. They threw the flag then huddled and then picked it up saying that Baker was a RB at that point and it was legal to hit him in the head...ummm except for two things he was sliding and two It was a hit with the defenders HELMET to his Helmet, last I looked that was helmet to helmet and an illegal hit.

Every QB in the NFL would have had that flag thrown and given to them...Except for the Browns.

Now lets get to the hold and block in the backs. So many ticky tack. Then I see a replay slow mo of a Winston run and I see our guy getting literally TACKLED from behind and no flag thrown.

I'm sick of this and you can see Hue arguing and questioning the refs...I'm like come on Hue Throw the red flag and tell the white hat we are protesting the game. Just once, don't even know if he can or not but do it anyway if they say we can't then we can't at least it will get attention!

Even Barber the Buc announcer is saying that they missed the false start. Again I don't understand how that can be done...but they throw a split second maybe or maybe not false start on Myles Garrett but they can't see the OT clearly making a false start???

Colquitt was amazing - Peppers was great with his returns except for that crucial fumble.

I thought the Defense had their lapses in the run game. As the Buccaneers had 1 rushing TD and that was with Fitzpatrick coming into our game and I know we gave up at least 3 rushing TDs...why? For the most part we did stop the run compared with last week. But we had those LAPSES.

Peppers had a good game again on Defense.

Randell played well at CB. Ward again is a stud.

Ints by Collins and Kirksey was excellent and Garrett is still amazing with his ability to force a fumble and credited with 2 sacks.

Ogbah came up big also...knocking down passes making Sacks and stopping the run.

Offense the play calling was terrible but the FLAGS hurt us the most.

again Zeitler touches the face mask...touches...no pull with the head turning or anything...sure enough Flag, 15 yards so that we must start with 1 and 25 now...we gain 7 yard average on the next 3 pass plays but of course that computes to 4 yards short...

But why did our game plan consist of 5 yard and under passes...OK with 1st and 10 but ALMOST ALWAYS we were at 1st and 15, 20 or 25. Especially after a nice run of 14 yards or so.

I was skeptical on the Chubb replacement of Hyde...but the kid won me over he even picked up the blitz well. 4.4 yards per carry and remember all his good runs were called back.

Duke didn't get too many touches...and the one again had Haley being too smart...calling a draw but all his trick plays draw, end around are at the worst possible moments and the Defense is never fooled or caught with their pants down. Just Haley being out coached in the Chess game.

Once we started running patterns down field man did the O look good.

Baker statistically had his best game around 65% completion and 2 TD's with 0 INTs he did have a fumble but recovered.

Our lack of turnovers of course the one we did have was pretty big.

Still I can't believe the guy who can't make an extra point won the game on a 59 yarder! He missed an easy One that would have won the game earlier.

But our game was so stagnant, then it was like a light switch turned on and everyones game stepped up a bit. Collins who I thought was having a hohum game stepped it up. Landry who again I was disappointed with....really stepped it up and it was like NOW THIS IS WHY HE IS HERE...man did he look good.

That TD was amazing he caught a low pass diving kept control of the ball and then while untouched had the where withall to stretch his arm out with the ball while laying on the ground for the TD!

Njoku a TD machine miss match left alone in the corner for an easy one. He did miss a catch that was a deep out thrown low where only he could catch it but he got both hands on it and dropped it. Other than that he was pretty reliable.

Still waiting for Devalve to get some double tight end reps but Haley is in love with Fells who really doesn't do it for me.

Kirksey I thought really stepped it up in taking over for Schobert on being the leader of the D.

Love Randell more and more what a good pick up!

Well got to run, what did you all see besides another OT loss...dang we just couldn't finish we get too conservative when the game is close like that. But can't they see that is why we catch up cause we open things up when behind! Start off that way!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
- I saw an ineffective first half offensively, then we made adjustments and looked like a NFL caliber team. We need to start better, and we need to have more faith in Baker I think. I think Haley was scared of the last game where Baker struggled, and wanted to get him going early with some easy completions, but then decided to keep those short routes, instead of letting Baker go.

- our def is such a mystery. How can we be SOOO good at turning the ball over, but so bad at giving up yards and chunk plays like we do....man can greg put someone in the middle of the field?

- I saw a litany of penalties again from a team that looked unprepared. Not good

- I saw myles get held over a dozen times w/ no calls before I stopped keeping track

- I saw horrible officiating, yet again.

- I saw a kicker line of for a 59 yarder, looked at my dad and said "hes going to pipe this thing right down the middle" Wasn't down the middle at first, but ended up close enough.....

- I saw another L in the loss column, which are starting to add up again.

I also SEE Pitt at home (who is coming off a bye), KC who is the arguably the best team in the league, and Atlanta before the bye. I see us 2-7-1 come bye week.

Legend
Legend
I saw some good things (the effort the 2nd half, Ogbah, Njoku, Chubb, etc) ... I saw some bad things (penalties, poor offensive half, etc)

I saw a loss, again

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
EO I always enjoy your" what I saw post" and I hope you are doing well. I am as frustrated as any Browns fan about many of the things you mentioned. However, I do take solace in the fact that this team didn't quit yesterday. I didn't think they would come back the way they did. They hung in there and battled back and that says something about our character and is a positive for our coach. We've been in 6 of the 7 games played this year and could easily have 5 or 6 wins. The penalties have to be cleared up but some are just ticky tac calls by the refs as you noted. We need to hang in there and keep improving. Hopefully the refs will be fairer in the future and we will make less "young" team mistakes.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I agree with a lot of the comments but I think our tackling fundamentals are very weak. Maybe it was just me, be we always seem to give up a lot of YAC.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
I do take solace in the fact that this team didn't quit yesterday.
They quit the week before, tho.

Quote:
They hung in there and battled back and that says something about our character and is a positive for our coach
This is the only positive that posters have had for going on three years. seems like we should have seen more positives by now.

Quote:
We've been in 6 of the 7 games played this year and could easily have 5 or 6 wins.
the reverse is also true. we easily could have lost the two games we won and the one we tied, and be 0-7 right now.

Quote:
The penalties have to be cleared up but some are just ticky tac calls by the refs as you noted.
We have been hearing Hue say for years "we have some things to clean up and we are gonna clean it up" word for word. Yet, 2 and almost half years later, they are still here and not getting cleaned up.

Quote:
Hopefully the refs will be fairer in the future and we will make less "young" team mistakes.
There is noting in the last 2.5 years that says it will.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN
I agree with a lot of the comments but I think our tackling fundamentals are very weak. Maybe it was just me, be we always seem to give up a lot of YAC.
that could be a side effect of all our turnovers tho. Maybe we are going after the ball too much and missing tackles. I notice one thing, we almost always seem to miss the first tackle.

Legend
Legend
good post EOTAB.

First half offense looked like a 2016 Cody Kessler led offense. Very difficult to watch all the short dink and dunk throws. Frustrating to say the least.

Second half, Baker ate a snickers or something, because I saw what I saw in the Jets game. Longer throws, less hesitation, and FIRE!

Good game from Chubb.

Loved seeing us force feeding Landry. He needs that. That TD he got. That to me shows me all I need to know. He's a gamer. He just gets it.

Why no Devalve? I'm a huge believer in his game, and he's a lot more reliable to me than Njoku. I think Devalve catches those out routes with ease.

Defensively, Gregg Williams disappoints again. How many curls and outs did the Bucs get on us for easy yardage? Stop with the soft coverage! Winston was eating us up through the air (and ground) EASILY.

Ogbah had his best game as a Brown. He needs more of those, as I think his job is on the line after the season is over.

Kirksey stepped in EASILY at MLB. I was confident he could do so. I think he's better at MLB than OLB.

Collins played like he was interested (finally).

I'm also glad we acquired Randall. He's a natural. I get that we are short at corner due to injury, but we gotta do something quick. Randall is much better at FS than BBC. I would have liked to see Ward follow Evans, and BBC stay on Jackson, and whoever else on Godwin. We gotta play to our guys strengths, and I believe Randall is a MUCH better FS, than CB.

The refs. All I ask for is consistency. That flag on Landry for not being set was TOTAL BS. There were a ton more of motion plays from both teams, and a lot of guys never firmly set. The defensive holding call on Kirksey, okay. He did it. But when I see a Buc literally trailing Landry with both hands on his hips and don't see a call. I get pissed. Consistency! And then still missing easy false starts. And the Baker hit to the head!? SMH.

And the going for it on 4th down calls. I didn't question it once. I would have preferred a Chubb run over a QB sneak though. Maybe it was called because so much ruckus was brought up from a few weeks ago when we didn't qB sneak it. IDK.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Ogbah had his best game as a Brown. He needs more of those, as I think his job is on the line after the season is over.
Curious, why would you say that? He has played pretty well on the year. not just this game.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I saw another winnable game turn into a loss.
I saw a Browns team continue to pile up penalties. 6 gave Bucs 1st downs.
I saw a good game from Ogbah. The best I've seen from him.
Our special team were improved minus Peppers fumble.
I saw a team fight to the end but keeps doing things to lose games.
I thought Baker played well.
I am so tired of leaving it in the officials hands every week. It seems we have to over come the officials, our opponent and ourselves every week.
All this losing has become a part of the Browns image. This team needs an exorcist.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
Curious, why would you say that? He has played pretty well on the year. not just this game.

We heard rumblings about Ogbah getting his starting spot taken even before the season started and during the draft.

Fans naturally want a guy who is a threat on every snap. A guy that teams have to game prep for. Ogbah hasn't been that.

My personal thoughts are I think he's a good starter, and I want to keep him. I still think he needs to step it up though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
I agree on Ogbah: he played really well ... very active, espeically the 2nd half

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:

We heard rumblings about Ogbah getting his starting spot taken even before the season started and during the draft.

Fans naturally want a guy who is a threat on every snap. A guy that teams have to game prep for. Ogbah hasn't been that.

My personal thoughts are I think he's a good starter, and I want to keep him. I still think he needs to step it up though.
Please post a link to that, I never heard that once.

We heard that drafting Chubb at 4 would be weird BECAUSE we had Ogbah. In fact, I believe if that's the only reason we DIDNT draft Chubb. Ogbah made Dorseys job easier than people think.

Ogbah last year was our best Def. player before he got hurt. Ill listen to he needs to stay healthy, but to say he was on his way out is just incorrect, and either you are mistaken or just making that up.

Edit to add: we are 2-4-1, I think the "greatest turnaround in history" option has passed, you can probably change your sig.

Last edited by willitevachange; 10/22/18 02:02 PM.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I know Jamie Collins made a couple nice plays (and to be honest I missed some of the first half) But man seems like he is pulling back on a lot of plays lately...Specially that Jameis Winston run for a TD...If Collins would have actually tried, he could have made a stop there...'

Well to his credit, he did play better than the last two weeks.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Looked like a good post ... couldn’t make it through the whining ...

thumbsdown ....

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Finally, a football thread.

--I saw us come out on offense w/a lot of short passes. I think that was in response to Baker's struggles last week. A lot of people were calling for shorter passes so we could avoid the sacks.

--I think Baker missed some fairly easy throws early on. He looked uncomfortable. I wish he would have secured that ball that cost us the first down, but stuff happens. However, he fought back in the second half and made some very nice throws. He also played w/a ton of moxie. I liked how he got up in that guy's face after being cheap-shotted. I didn't want us to draft him, but that was over for me a long time ago. I think he has a real chance to be our guy.

--Landry had a very good game. The catch he made down by the goal line was great. And he had the smarts to stick the ball over the goal line.

--Chubb ran well. He made some guys miss.

--Njoku w/a great grab in the end zone and a drop along the sideline. That's just him. Brilliant, yet confounding.

--I thought the OL held up fairly well.

--Kirksey was very good at the Mike. Much more active there. You can tell he feels more comfortable there.

--I thought Ward was outstanding. He basically shut out DJax. That's amazing! He was all over him all game long. This guy is going to be an All Pro more often than not.

--Myles had some nice pressures. Good to see.

--Ogbah had his best game. Very active. And he plays tall.

--I thought Randall did a great job at corner. Smart move by Williams to move him over there w/two corners out. Dude balled.

--The safeties were not very good.

--The special teams unit outplayed their opponent for the third straight week. Ever since Hue said he would get more involved, the unit has stepped it up. Colquitt is a weapon.

--I thought we committed too many penalties. I realize we are young and inexperienced, but Hue has to get that cleared up.

--The team never gave up. They showed a lot of heart and resiliency in this game. I think this is indicative of our coaching staff and leadership. We simply have to find ways to finish games. I know people think that is easy, but it's one of the hardest things for a young team to do.

A
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
A
I dreaded the Bucs game. My great fear was that the team would flatline the entire game like they did against the Chargers.

I wasn't a happy camper after that atrocious first half.

To my relief, the team did a great job fighting its way back to respectability in the second half. They got beat, but they didn't get pulverized.

I am tired of the endless losing, but that is the Browns fate so long as the Haslams are in charge.

Meanwhile, I love the great work Colquitt is doing. In my miserable, pessimistic world I worry that the Browns will trade him away or cut him after the season because Browns gonna Brown. frown

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The offense didn't show up until the second half.

The refs again were offensive and defensive as usual.

Oh and Baker is the One.

This is going to be another losing year, but the future is bright with Baker and Dorsey.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Our offense is like a Volkswagen Beetle. You can't warm it up by simply starting it, you have to get in and drive it for a while before it starts heating up. It takes 1 to 2 quarters to get our offense heated up.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Our offense is like a Volkswagen Beetle. You can't warm it up by simply starting it, you have to get in and drive it for a while before it starts heating up. It takes 1 to 2 quarters to get our offense heated up.

And the weird thing is that it's been that way with 2 different starting QBs.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:
I am tired of the endless losing, but that is the Browns fate so long as the Haslams are in charge.

Just curious why you think this. You don't think he wants to win? They know they are sitting on even more of a goldmine than they already have if this team can become relevant. They've spent the money and are by no means cheap IMO.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I believe that Haley uses early plays to move guys around to try to find matchups, see what might work and what probably won't, and then he comes back to the things he sees that we were able to exploit.

So, it usually is slow going as he gets things tried and figured out, then we're able (hopefully) to get some things going.
I just wish he could speed that process up a little, lol

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I believe that Haley uses early plays to move guys around to try to find matchups, see what might work and what probably won't, and then he comes back to the things he sees that we were able to exploit.

So, it usually is slow going as he gets things tried and figured out, then we're able (hopefully) to get some things going.

I could get on board with that line of thinking...then add that it takes longer to 'see what we can do' with so many new and inexperienced players out there. JMO

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Meanwhile GW takes his D out of the gate firing all guns looking for turnovers and when we notice we are several scored down...

Just get the GW and the D in the same page, and we will improve, you will see.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Looked like a good post ... couldn’t make it through the whining ...

thumbsdown ....

Hey grow up and just admit...the refs suck and they are getting worse and worse all around the league. Man they should actually have a steady job as Ref...not this part time crap like they do in HS.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Dink and dunk whatever the reason just didn't work. But it was the penalties that killed just about every drive. hard to dink and dunk which we continued to do with 1st and 20 or 1st and 25 so we could end up 4 yards short of a first and punt!

Not sure what he missed..Baker just saw too much 3 yard completions when we needed 7-8 yards.

Landry finally came alive once we started running him with patterns over 10 yards, that is where he excelled and it looked like he was finally having fun and he and Baker were starting to form a good relationship.

Njoku is a miss match...we should keep hitting him deeper this way his 50% would add up...sort of like 3 pointers.

OL was not bad at all they made a point of showing Harrison when he made a mistake but he was not awful or anything.

One thing I notice, I think Baker can drop back deeper that way he can have that split second more to hit the deeper routes and also vision to take off and make more time. He doesn't drop back to my Liking and then the timing is all off on his Hitch steps and is caught in a quagmire too soon. All he has to do is drop back just a tad further and all should correct itself.

Ward is the real deal. Best rookie CB I've seen in a long time.

Kirksey has been a good LB wonder if he and Schobert will swap Will with Mike? still think Schobert is a better general out there.

Myles is a stud. 2 ore sacks and has that knack of swatting the ball out of the QB's hands.

Ogbah best impact in a while - even when his first step was matched he would bide his time and make a good jump at the ball and came oh so close on a couple of times!

Yeah it was a well kept secret. I thought Randall was not a smart player by ASSuming after hearing him speak. But the kid can play football and is a natural! Great pick up.

Special teams looked good except for the fumble shame Peppers was just trying too hard to win. Colquitt has been fantastic!
Who is this kid Valljo??? He seems to show up at the right time every week. Possibly one of those guys who become Special Team extraordinaire...keeping an EYE on that kid.

Penalties. they can be called every play if the refs wanted too. I just hate when I see a ticky tack hold called on our OL and then watch several plays where Garrett is literally tackled and there is no flag thrown...its that stuff that gets me upset. Penalties you got to play through...but when they seem to show up one way that is upsetting and in the first half made our Offense totally unable to execute the dink and dunk game plan.

Yeah just the one game against Chargers we just funked out and coincidently was the one game we just was not in.

Steeler games would be a great one to have our first AWAY WIN in a long long time!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good post. Glad to see some football being discussed.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
thanks for the analysis
did not get to see game
hope your felling better because I can see this team getting better in the second half because haley is a rookie with this team

Last edited by jacksondawg; 10/26/18 09:04 PM.
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 23 Buccaneers 26 What I saw game 7

Link Copied to Clipboard