Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Haley was undermining Hue. That much is clear. He had no integrity in his position.

This is key, and ultimately cost Haley the job. He came in with the idea he would oust Hue and take over as HC. That type of subterfuge and scheming will not fly in Haslam's org. But I think it goes far beyond that. In simple terms, Haley's the kind of guy who will make fun of your name and do what's best for Haley. Kitchens always has winning, the players, and building relationships as his priorities. I think that is what got Freddie his two promotions.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Haley was undermining Hue. That much is clear. He had no integrity in his position.

This is key,

I'm trying to remember; Didn't Haley come on board in Hue's 2nd year, after they didn't win a game except the missed Field goal, or block, on Christmas Day against the Chargers?

Alll the struggles of 2017, well documented... my memory of Hue, apologizing for not winning a road game all year, or was it, not a home game all year,

Can't blame Haley for that, MUCH of That, was before Haley even joined the Browns.

But blanket, it's 2019 ! Let's move on.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

This is key, and ultimately cost Haley the job. He came in with the idea he would oust Hue and take over as HC. That type of subterfuge and scheming will not fly in Haslam's org. But I think it goes far beyond that. In simple terms, Haley's the kind of guy who will make fun of your name and do what's best for Haley. Kitchens always has winning, the players, and building relationships as his priorities. I think that is what got Freddie his two promotions.

Where did you come up with this? I have not seen anywhere that Haley tried to oust Hue, only that he agreed to take the job here because he didn't think that Hue would keep the job long based on the fact that Hue only won 1 game the year before and the Haslams' penchant for being quick on firing head coaches.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe oust is too strong a word, perhaps "intent to take over" is better phrasing.

"According to Rutigliano, Haley’s purpose in taking the job with the Browns in January was to eventually become the head coach."

Link

However you phrase it, he came in at odds with Hue by virtue of the fact he wanted Hue's job.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
In my humble opinion Haley’s main issue was that he didn’t adjust his play calling to suit the talent he had. He wants to call what he wants to call and the players better execute seemed to be his strategy. Great.... well.... that means Duke never gets on the field. How an OC can ignore that talent is unforgivable. Chubb not getting meaningful playtime? Once he finally got some reps it was clear he should have been out there earlier and Hue pretty much confirmed it.

Haley was very stubborn and couldn’t adapt his offense to the players he had.. honestly I don’t think he wanted to. That is where Freddie is already light years ahead. Now being stubborn like that doesn’t automatically mean you’ll fail... just inreases the odds. Seemed ok in PIT until they had enough of it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BleedsOrange
In my humble opinion Haley’s main issue was that he didn’t adjust his play calling to suit the talent he had. He wants to call what he wants to call and the players better execute seemed to be his strategy. Great.... well.... that means Duke never gets on the field. How an OC can ignore that talent is unforgivable. Chubb not getting meaningful playtime? Once he finally got some reps it was clear he should have been out there earlier and Hue pretty much confirmed it.

Haley was very stubborn and couldn’t adapt his offense to the players he had.. honestly I don’t think he wanted to. That is where Freddie is already light years ahead.

100 percent agree.

I read somewhere that Freddie didn't bring his own playbook or anything. He merely added a few things and called the plays in Haley's Playbook that put his guys in the best position to succeed.

Haley didn't seem good at that. Freddie tailored the gameplan and playcalling to his players. Haley seemed to want to call what he wanted to call no matter who was on the field.

I'm not sure if that's stubborness or ego or what. But it was a downfall.

As for Chubb; i wasn't a proponent of the Carlos Hyde trade when it happened. I thought that while Carlos didn't have the breakaway ability that Chubb did, Chubb was a liability in pass protection. I was totally wrong. Throughout the season he became so much better at that. He also showed more confidence in his hands.

Chubb was the better player, and he and Duke got more touches, and we netted a fifth round pick from the Jags. Wonderful for us.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One of the issues that was reported in the Hue/Haley feud was that Hue wanted Haley to run an up tempo offense with quick throws by Baker but Haley refused because at the time Higgins was out, Callaway was banged up, Perriman had just been signed, and Haley was afraid of wearing out the existing WRs and shortly after that Hue and Haley were fired. If the WRs had been healthy who knows maybe Hue and Haley would still be here. Thank God that didn't happen.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
E
Legend
Legend
E
Did you come to that conclusion on the great use of Haley's playbook on that ONE YARD DRIVE...

Again my point was in the beginning of the season our DEFENSE Gave the Offense great field position and also we were leading the NFL IN TURNOVERS...that was my point when it was being statistically heralded by POINT TOTAL.

I think I more than proved my point and I was actually disappointed in Haley as coming into the season I thought we Got our guy and it was a great hire...and I admitted that I was WRONG!

I gave facts. And outside of the one Series where we went 55 yards on two plays for a TD.

What I saw from Haley was a Dink and Dunk Offense. I get it from TT as he was not that accurate and he could handle the dink and dunk. But after Baker started and showed a history of what he could do in coming from behind against the JETS...for us to go back to the DINK and DUNK game plan with BAKER was horrific.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Coaching: What Might Have Happened .......

Link Copied to Clipboard