Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

ST. LOUIS (CBS/KMOV.com) -- Charges have been filed against a St. Louis police officer accused in the shooting death of an off-duty officer.

Nathaniel Hendren is charged with first-degree involuntary manslaughter and armed criminal action.

Katlyn Alix, 24, was off-duty when she was shot inside an apartment in south St. Louis early Thursday morning.

Police say Alix, Hendren and his partner met at Hendren's apartment while Alix was off-duty and Hendren and his partner were on-duty.

Both were playing with guns when Hendren produced a revolver, emptied the cylinder and then put one bullet cartridge back in cylinder.

Hendren then spun the cylinder, pointed the gun away and pulled the trigger but it did not fire.

Alix then took the gun and pointed it at Hendren and pulled the trigger but the gun again did not fire.

Hendren then took gun and pulled trigger, shooting Alix in the chest, police say. She later died at the hospital.

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/St-Louis-police-officer-killed-in-game-of--504915161.html

Police officer charged with killing fellow cop in Russian roulette-style shooting

A St. Louis police officer has been charged with killing a fellow officer after a Russian roulette-style game went horribly wrong.

Nathaniel Hendren, 29, was charged Friday with involuntary manslaughter and armed criminal action, according to Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner and a probable cause statement.

Hendren, who was on-duty at the time of the shooting, and Katlyn Alix were allegedly playing a game where all but one bullet was removed from a revolver and the two would take turns pointing it at each other and pulling the trigger, according to the probable cause document.

The statement was provided by Sgt. Richard Hellmeier, Hendren's partner, who was on-duty and with the two at the time of the shooting.

According to Hellmeier, Hendren initially spun the cylinder and pointed the revolver away from Alix. But when he pulled the trigger, it did not fire. She took the gun and pointed it at Hendren, but again the gun did not fire.

Hendren took the gun back and pointed it at Alix, pulled the trigger and shot Alix in the chest. She was rushed to the hospital by the officers, where she died of her injuries.

The 24-year-old Alix was off-duty at the time of the shooting, which took place at one of the men's apartment at about 1 a.m. on Wednesday.

Hellmeier said, according to the probable cause statement, that "he advised that he told the defendant and victim that they shouldn't be playing with guns and that they were police officers. He felt uncomfortable with them playing with guns and didn't want to have any part of it and he started to leave. As he left the room but before leaving the apartment he heard a shot. He went back into the room and saw that the victim had been shot in the chest."

Gardner would not comment on the allegations presented in the probable cause statement, but called the shooting a "devastating incident."

"Yesterday, we lost a shining star and a dedicated public servant," Gardner said. "From everything I hear about this bright, young woman, Katlyn represented the police department in an honorable manner, and she had a very bright future.

"I have said this many times before; I will hold people accountable who violate Missouri law regardless of their profession, public status or station in life," the statement continued. "Today, as much as it saddens my staff and me to file these charges, Katlyn and her family deserve accountability and justice."

The St. Louis Police Department had said Thursday following the shooting that Alix had been shot in an "accidental discharge" when Hendren "mishandled a firearm."

Alix is the fifth police officer to die in the U.S. in a shooting this year.

https://abc7chicago.com/police-officer-c...ooting/5107484/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
just because you're a cop doesn't mean you're a good one, or a smart one at that.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
There's good and bad in every profession because humans are involved. When you try and point that out it seems some get all worked up about it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
i wonder how many speeding tickets both they asses wrote before playing this game.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Wow, that's just idiotic, and tragic.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
wow....pure stupidity......

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Legend
Legend
Some folks just need to learn firearm safety the hard way.

#GMSTRONG
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Quote:
The St. Louis Police Department had said Thursday following the shooting that Alix had been shot in an "accidental discharge" when Hendren "mishandled a firearm."

If three minorities were playing Russian roulette, and one was killed, I highly doubt the department would issue such a statement...

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Legend
Legend
8 posts before someone made a racial issue out of this.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Young egos, with easy access to guns.
was alcohol a factor?

I'm thinking most likely it was.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Wonder if they were drunk or on something... unreal...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Then 2 of the 3 would have been drinking on the job.

Quote:
met at Hendren's apartment while Alix was off-duty and Hendren and his partner were on-duty.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
F
Legend
Legend
F
3 trained police officers, and not one realized how stupid this all was and spoke up.

"Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction"

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’ll just leave this here for everyone to digest.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/can-someone-be-too-smart-to-be-a-cop/192106/
“It turns out that those who have cursed at a police officer for apparently not using his or her brain or said an officer was being “stupid” may not be as far off the mark as the American public might hope.

Although it’s not widely known, federal courts have ruled since 2000 that police departments can legally opt to not hire someone simply because he or she scores too high on an intelligence test. The millenium ruling followed a lawsuit filed in 1999 by Connecticut resident Robert Jordan, who was told by the New London Police Department that they only interview candidates who score 20 to 27 points on an intelligence test.”

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Very sad and stupid.

Legend
Legend
1. Treat all guns as if they are loaded.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Though, I violate #2 quite often while carrying, but the trigger is completely covered.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I had a roommate who now is a fire fighter. I lived with him while he was going through emt training, firefighting training and paramedic school. The jokes, especially with fire fighters, that if you're too dumb and fail, you'll always have police academy. I was blown away and thought he was bsing me. Then I got drinks with his crew when he got hired and they really give it to cops. I was shocked. I always thought fire fighters were the dumb civil service employees. Like I told my friend, why do a job that a working sprinkler system can do? Here I was wrong. It's the cops who are a little on the slow side apparently.

This story is crazy. I couldn't imagine being that adrenaline addicted.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Tyler_Derden
Quote:

If three minorities were playing Russian roulette, and one was killed, I highly doubt the department would issue such a statement...

Especially in St. Louis of all places. They should be calling it how it is. Also calling this involuntary manslaughter is extremely lenient. He was the last dude to shoot it, where did he think the bullet was?

Legend
Legend
Quote:
According to Hellmeier, Hendren initially spun the cylinder and pointed the revolver away from Alix. But when he pulled the trigger, it did not fire. She took the gun and pointed it at Hendren, but again the gun did not fire.

Hendren took the gun back and pointed it at Alix, pulled the trigger and shot Alix in the chest. She was rushed to the hospital by the officers, where she died of her injuries.

So she was an active participant in the game.. mind bogglingly stupid..

yebat' Putin
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well, this will remove at least 2 really stupid cops from the streets.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

rofl

I truly appreciated that.
Artistry in print.

thumbsup

"too many notes, not enough music-"
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... St. Louis police officer killed in alleged game of Russian roulette

Link Copied to Clipboard