Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Oh... and I want to say obviously the embryos is alive at conception... but I don't know if it has a soul at that point... I believe an embryo gets a soul when the heart starts to beat...

There is no greater misconception as to what a soul is (and why the term soul sleep is an oxymoron). A soul is your phsical body, add the breath of life, (the spirit) and you become a living being (in the biblical sense).

From dust thou art and from dust thou shalt return, but the spirit (breath of life) returns to God who gave it. Only when the two are united\re-united is a person a living being.

This is why most Christians believe that life begins at conception.

I'll agree with the bold part.

No idea where you got the soul as the physical body, though.

I've always kind of thought of the soul as kind of the underlying, metaphysical pattern that the physical body and "breath of life", as you call it, are somehow attached to.

As far as the bigger debate, I think asking when (biological) life begins is somewhat asking the wrong question.

Grass can be dead or "alive," but that doesn't stop me from riding my mower over it.

I think "when does self awareness begin?" might be a better question, but it's still problematic. It would be very hard to test.

Perhaps my answer to when does life begin would be when the part of the brain that allows self-awareness develops (when speaking in a humanistic sense). However, that leaves the question of whether the "soul"/spirit is self-aware or if they even exist in a scientific sense, since I'm not sure hard evidence of them exist.

I got it straight from the good book.

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
{Genesis 2:7}

Some translations state "living being"

In any event ... There is the dust of the earth and the breath of life (the spirit).

Only when the two are joined together does it constitute a living being.

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
{Ecclesiastics 12:7}

No soul sleep ... The soul\body returns to the dust from whence it came.

At the resurrection the dead in Christ shall be given new incorruptible (Immortal) bodies, and they will be reunited with their spirit.

The woman carries the child for nine months, but it is alway a separate being. Therefore to say that it is her body is technically incorrect. Having said that ... Trying to get a woman to see it that way is not such an easy thing to do.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I advocate a legal precedent that can be held up in court applies until such time Roe vs Wade is overturned.

I don't believe "brain activity" begins that late in a pregnancy. But at this monent in time, more people are basing their opinions on their personal beliefs than anything that is applicable by law. Those are two different things.

If cells start dividing, then it is living.

The law is another story, but not even science understands how life begins.

Questions about a heartbeat or brain activity is irrelevant (imo) as to when life begins, because cells do not multiply in someone\some organism that is dead.

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
I was speaking about legal precedent. Not the Bible or personal feelings. I was looking for something that might actually stand up in court.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I ask my wife this question. Her reply.....

When I say it does, now shutup and quit talking during my lifetimes movies. shocked

Once there is a heartbeat you are a person.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’ll play. So for there to be a heartbeat there needs to be a fully formed heart. Not just an electrical pulse that isn’t actually moving actual blood. Like the electrical impulse detected at 6-8 weeks. That’s not really a heartbeat. I’ve proven that in past medical literature I’ve posted elsewhere.
So at 20 weeks they’ve concluded the heart is finally an actual functioning organ. That’s 5 months.
So 5 months it is. I can live with that. I’ll even go as far to say that abortion shouldn’t happen that late in fetal gestation except for extreme conditions.

“The human heart is not fully formed until much later in pregnancy than previously thought, a new study suggests.

British researchers analyzed scans of the hearts of healthy fetuses in the womb and found that the heart has four clearly defined chambers in the eighth week of pregnancy, but does not have fully organized muscle tissue until the 20th week.”
https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=167987#

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'll stick with my better safe than sorry philosophy.

I don't know exactly when that "collection of cells", as some put it, becomes a real, living human being, with a living soul ......so I am not in favor of destroying any of them.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
personally I think when a fetus is viable, when it's possible to live on its own after birth. With medical interventions, 22 weeks at birth seems to be the edge at which fetuses can survive.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Nobody breathing knows. Nobody breathing will ever know. A belief is a belief. Believing in something doesn’t make it true.

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 07/04/19 07:40 AM.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I'll stick with my better safe than sorry philosophy.

I don't know exactly when that "collection of cells", as some put it, becomes a real, living human being, with a living soul ......so I am not in favor of destroying any of them.

Right. It’s better for some to be safe and control others lives and health by forcing laws upon them for unsubstantiated beliefs. That’s my man ytown thumbsup

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Whose to say life ever begins.....it could all be one big simulation.....Human beings are at the mercy of our brains....basically infinitely complex computers that receive stimuli through a central nervous system....through this stimuli our brains make sense of the world....our brains however, are not infallible, and frequently make mistakes attempting to interpret various signals....with this said, there is really no way to objectively define the true nature of reality....therefore, any attempt to define what is living, when its living, and when its not, is purely subjective...

So whatever you believe, that is just your perspective, and there is no universal right answer, period.....

But go ahead and try to validate your perspectives by aligning them with others...it always helps folks feel better being in the majority....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
At conception. Where else???????????????????

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus When does life begin?

Link Copied to Clipboard