Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Legend
Legend
C
That's how they make some hot dogs. It's not how the make all hot dogs.

And even then, hot dogs are delicious so I eat them.

V
Legend
Legend
V

E
Legend
Legend
E
I dont have a problem with eating innards that are clean, but that sounds unsanitary.

Plus a lot of brands have standards.

Like Kosher. Thats not Kosher.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E
If you want to really be grossed out, read about rendering plants. They turn roadkill, dead diseased livestock, and euthanized pets into meal for pet/livestock food.

Its horrifying.

No Craps Given
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
We have, or had, a rendering plant on the south side, you could (it smelled awful), it smelled from a quarter mile away inside a vehicle,
A person once said he worked there, and made it one day, he said, ... at lunch, when the other workers started to take out their lunch and eat right where, well wherever, He said that was it.

Legend
Legend
"Q'apla!"

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Up until 10 years or so ago, a can of V8.

Now a banana.

But the time invested in V8 swayed my vote.

Until I retired from drinking, V8, Tobasco and vodka greeted me most mornings.

Thank God those mornings are gone.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I have always wondered why there arent hotdogs or brats at sports bars.

Because thats what I prefer to eat when I go to a game.

HMMMMMM Too much man shaming to eat that? So they dont put it on the menu?

I worked during the summers of my high school and college years. I took a lot of jobs that involved physical labor. I worked as a roofer, a laborer for brick layers, and at Superior Meats, where I moved beef and swine around much like the ones Rocky pounded on during the first movie of the same name.

I can tell you that it's a bit dangerous to eat anything that requires a casing. I love Italian sausage, but it has a casing and I know what that means.

I am going to tell you an upsetting story of hot dogs. I think I was 17 when I worked there and I watched in horror as the event unfolded.

The pigs were on a moving device that is similar to the moving walkways at airports. Not sure what the technical name is. They were nose to butt. There was this huge dude who had a shock instrument in his hand and he would shock the pigs so they were easier to handle. He would give the pigs one shock if they were docile. If the pigs were boisterous, he would torture them w/multiple shocks over different parts of their body. He had this really sick look in his eyes when he did it and he scared the crap out of me.

As the pigs exited the moving walkway, they were harnessed and slung into the air where a dude w/a machete would slice them both vertically and horizontally on their underside. He would make a few more quick cuts and their guts would spill out into this round circular area that resembled a wresting mat.

This is where it gets really disgusting. Every so often, the revolving walkway would stop and three guys would come out w/huge squeegees and the floor would open up exposing a large vat underneath the false floor. They would squeegee the insides of the swine into the vat and then move the pigs on to butcher their meet.

I dared to ask what did they do w/the intestines and the other inside parts of the pig that were squeegeed into the vat and was informed that nothing is wasted and that was what they used to make hot dogs.

I don't eat hog dogs.

Before I was born(1957) there was a sausage, etc shop on/near East 152nd and St. Clair. My Italian grandfather said bar none it was the best fresh/daily made italian sausage he's ever had since moving from Pittsburgh in the early 30's.

In the mid 50's it was ordered shut down because rats, etc would ever-so-often fall into the large grinder.

Oh man oh man oh man was grandpa PO'D!

Grandpa; "That's probably what made it so good"!

True story. thumbsup

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'd go with the banana and fresh vegetables instead, so banana wins by default.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bananna

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus Bananna vs. a Can of V8

Link Copied to Clipboard