Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"Bickering about labels does absolutely nothing to help bridge the divide between us"

So yeah, put the name redneck in your group....trying to "reach" people you think re-education. That certainly won't reinforce the smug arrogance of someone coming to you trying to "re- educate you" willynilly

See the problem is that you see only their intent and if I were a betting man KKK members and Confederate flag wavers won't receive someone from "Redneck Revolt" well flat out off the name. That's not a deflection, that's not an agenda that is a reality. You talk about bridging the divide yet you missed the entire point of my "deflection" then tried to insinuate I am racist with your "I bet I know what POC poster think" comment.

The smugness, the arrogance, the talking down IS HOW TRUMP GOT ELECTED. So you might think I am not helping bridge the divide but you would be wrong. I am trying to convey that if you want to reach these people, starting with the word redneck is a dumbass way to start. It's unnecessary and even if it's well intended it's naive to think it will be received that way by everyone.

BpG #1622111 05/07/19 09:27 AM
Legend
Legend
You voted for a guy who launched his campaign off of calling the first black president a foreign born Muslim.

You have no credibility to talk about how to bridge the divide, when you’re an active part of it.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
PitDAWG #1622113 05/07/19 09:29 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Just speaking for myself and my real world experience of traveling all over the South and living in NC..... I've met many many more people who call themselves Redneck and wear it as a badge to be proud of than who would be offended by it.

As for discussing the name instead of the focus ... yep - straight up deflection and helps to perpetuate the issues.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1622115 05/07/19 09:33 AM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Right a straight up deflection. Sure it is.

Quote:
Redneck is a derogatory term chiefly but not exclusively applied to white Americans perceived to be crass and unsophisticated, closely associated with rural whites of the Southern United States.[1][2] Its usage is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Texas, Georgia, and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).[4][5][6]

By the 1970s, the term had become offensive slang, its meaning expanded to include racism, loutishness, and opposition to modern ways.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

BpG #1622120 05/07/19 09:37 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
then tried to insinuate I am racist with your "I bet I know what POC poster think" comment.

You completely misconstrued what I was saying because you take things so personally. Get past your feelings and we can discuss things.

Quote:
I am trying to convey that if you want to reach these people, starting with the word redneck is a dumbass way to start. It's unnecessary and even if it's well intended it's naive to think it will be received that way by everyone.

This makes sense to me. So, what should be done instead? Rename the organization? Replace it w/another? Carry on w/out trying to change things?

Let me back up a bit. Do you think that trying to change the mindset of certain groups of whites through education is a worthwhile pursuit? If so, how successful would such a movement be? Do you see any correlation to such a movement and the Civil Rights movement in 1960s? Were those ideas embraced or did they face resistance? Were they good for the country or not? Should we once again undertake the mission of trying to change deeply embedded ideological beliefs? Do you think more time should be spent on how to be accepting of one another rather than forcing policies down one another's throats? Do you think such pursuits are worthwhile and do you think they can improve things for all of our citizens?

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 05/07/19 09:41 AM. Reason: Grammar
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This is where the hard left on this board gets me wrong. I love black folk,I love black comedy, I love black music, I grew up with it, I have a Tupac tattoo on my back. I will not coddle Blacks or Asians or Indians, I am not a white savior, you got to stand on your own.

I already said this, multiple times in this thread along it's worthwhile. It's absolutely pivotal to extinguish these horrible ideologies. I would love nothing more than be able to facilitate this on an even plane. It is absolutely in the best interest of this country.

Here is my hangup, I posted the graphic for a reason, way more whites view their race as being NON pivotal in who they are. Like I tell my wife during arguments, I will own my faults, but I need you to at least recognize yours. How can you try to reach these people, tell them that they need to give up their "White pride" when they are literally the only ones being asked to do that? Doesn't that breed resentment? How does resentment end up? Round and round we go.

BpG #1622135 05/07/19 10:06 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't want to answer all my own questions yet. Hopefully, others will pitch in w/intelligence and logical thoughts.

I will just add that tribalism is strong in all groups. I am not only asking whites to change, but change they must. I think many minorities are guilty of similar stances. That is why I always say don't fight hate w/hate.

I also want to say that some people will never be reached. We'll never live in Utopia. However, if we can reach enough people on the periphery, we can make significant progress.

Hopefully, we can have a productive conversation. We do have some intelligent folks on this board. Maybe we can discuss this w/out all the name-calling and labeling.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
lol that was my point this entire thread, literally starting a group with a racial slur/label in it. That is what I have been in here arguing about, so you do agree with it, but yet you called it a deflection?

BpG #1622141 05/07/19 10:13 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
What?

Never mind.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Maybe we can discuss this w/out all the name-calling and labeling.

Quote:
Redneck Revolt

Quote:
Once again, the real issue has been avoided because one poster challenged the meaning or "redneck" in an apparent attempt to deflect what is really important in this story.

Last edited by BpG; 05/07/19 10:15 AM.
BpG #1622154 05/07/19 10:38 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: BpG
Right a straight up deflection. Sure it is.

Quote:
Redneck is a derogatory term chiefly but not exclusively applied to white Americans perceived to be crass and unsophisticated, closely associated with rural whites of the Southern United States.[1][2] Its usage is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Texas, Georgia, and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).[4][5][6]

By the 1970s, the term had become offensive slang, its meaning expanded to include racism, loutishness, and opposition to modern ways.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redneck

I don't care what the dictionary says, my 30 years of living in the south says that most "rednecks" consider it synonymous with "country boy/girl", some as "southerner" and then some do take it as derogatory depending on the context it is used, and by who.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Completely valid and understood.

PitDAWG #1622169 05/07/19 11:09 AM
Legend
Legend
Jc

Why is it that people are posting pics of black Americans and how they view their identity with literally no context behind it?

And yet we’re getting plenty of context behind the term redneck. Odd.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
mgh888 #1622173 05/07/19 11:15 AM
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Just speaking for myself and my real world experience of traveling all over the South and living in NC..... I've met many many more people who call themselves Redneck and wear it as a badge to be proud of than who would be offended by it.

As for discussing the name instead of the focus ... yep - straight up deflection and helps to perpetuate the issues.

The funniest part of it all? They aren't calling other people rednecks. They're calling themselves rednecks. I posted it from their website and it explained it was a label they gave themselves and explained why.

But none of that made any difference.

People either didn't read it or don't care.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Swish #1622180 05/07/19 11:20 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: Swish
Jc

Why is it that people are posting pics of black Americans and how they view their identity with literally no context behind it?

And yet we’re getting plenty of context behind the term redneck. Odd.

Well, if "posting pics of black Americans" you're referring to the poll result from Pew, then I will say, I was pointing out how the graph and it's presentation of the numbers is misleading, and quite possible agenda driven.

The poll itself gave no context to the statistics, and more so, when the only 2 poll choice seem to be "Extremely Important" and "Very Important" it leaves little room for accurate statistics, as "Very" and "Extremely", are very subjective terms and often have a lot of crossover.

Other than that, I don't know. smile

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I posted the link to the article, not sure how much more context is required.

BpG #1622192 05/07/19 11:35 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: BpG
I posted the link to the article, not sure how much more context is required.

This link?
https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2019/04/...-19_race-03-00/

Went to this, I didn't see an article.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BpG #1622201 05/07/19 11:45 AM
F
Legend
Legend
F
Thank you

Legend
Legend
i read the article behind it.

it fails to address why black americans are historically tied to our identity so much compared to whites.

and thats what im saying. im reading all this back story stuff about the term redneck, but the guy who posted the pic wont give his own definition/overall input as to why identity is a big deal to blacks.

it would be like me posting a pic showing how white people represent the majority of mass shootings, and then try to bail and talk about something else. a lot of yall would be like "ummmm, care to elaborate at all?"

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1622216 05/07/19 12:05 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
and thats what im saying. im reading all this back story stuff about the term redneck, but the guy who posted the pic wont give his own definition/overall input as to why identity is a big deal to blacks.

This is a fair and valid point... guess I had never thought of it in these terms.

Blacks were persecuted as a collective group BECAUSE they are black.. they rose up against it and fought it as a group.. they continue to fight it as a group... When they have successes or failures in this effort they view it as a GROUP success or failure...

I can tell you straight up that white people don't look at things from that perspective... they often look at success and failure as a GROUP dynamic but it's not a racial group.. it's as a prolife group or an environmentalist group or a democrat/republican group or a town/state group.. but I can't think of many instances where white people viewed something as a win/loss for "white people" collectively.

Thanks, I saw something from a new perspective this morning. It's going to be a good day. thumbsup

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
you, Clem and Pit open my eyes to new perspectives all the time so im glad i can return the favor.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1622230 05/07/19 12:17 PM
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I found it quite refreshing to see a bunch of self proclaimed rednecks fighting against white supremacy. We need more of them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1622235 05/07/19 12:22 PM
Legend
Legend
i think its amazing.

a lot of guys i served with are from the south (i think most military service members are), and they always called themselves rednecks.

and they were also the first ones to trash anybody saying some bigoted racist crap too. i never viewed redneck as a racist term, or considered people who call themselves rednecks as racist. i get why some people have a problem with it, but the people who tend to have an issue with rednecks are people who aren't even from the rural communities/country.

like...i'd never call some dude from NE ohio a redneck.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

This is a fair and valid point... guess I had never thought of it in these terms.

Blacks were persecuted as a collective group BECAUSE they are black.. they rose up against it and fought it as a group.. they continue to fight it as a group... When they have successes or failures in this effort they view it as a GROUP success or failure...

I can tell you straight up that white people don't look at things from that perspective... they often look at success and failure as a GROUP dynamic but it's not a racial group.. it's as a prolife group or an environmentalist group or a democrat/republican group or a town/state group.. but I can't think of many instances where white people viewed something as a win/loss for "white people" collectively.

Thanks, I saw something from a new perspective this morning. It's going to be a good day. thumbsup

Required reading.

I've tried, but feel as though I've gotten nowhere at this address.
This might work when all my efforts fell flat.
Failing at something so important really sucks.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
There's a reason you're considered a valued and smart person, an asset to the Dawgtalkers community. It's because people listen to you.

You're not going to change the opinions of those deeply entrenched in their views. But you certainly can give open minded people the option of looking at things through a different lens.

Or, you can let those whose opinions that will never change convince you that your value isn't important or considered. That choice rests with you.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1622286 05/07/19 02:58 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I found it quite refreshing to see a bunch of self proclaimed rednecks fighting against white supremacy. We need more of them.

Which is a point that has been made a number of times... they are there, they have been there for a long time. But generally they were not willing to stand up, possibly for fear of alienating their family and friends? alienating their town? I don't know.

It's great to see them start to stand up and realize, if you need to tell your friends that racism is wrong... maybe you just need better friends.

yebat' Putin
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
That may be true but I think some of it has to do with the culture you were raised in. I don't believe these people are actually "addressing their friends". But trying to help change the mind set of people who are not their friends.

Often times pointing out the commonality among people can help to overcome conceived differences. I came from a community where people had a lot of racist tendencies. Said a lot of racist things. It was pretty common place. Their opinions were based on what was spread around. By what extreme leaning people said.

It certainly didn't come from experience of knowing black people. We had a grand total of one black student. She had been adopted as a baby by a white family. We had one black teacher who was my music teacher.

I was lucky enough to have a dad who understood that as long as we allowed those who funded and promoted keeping working people divided based on race, it limited the power of those people to have any control. A man who pointed out just how much the poor and working class had in common, verses the few actual differences.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1622295 05/07/19 03:18 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I came from a community where people had a lot of racist tendencies. Said a lot of racist things. It was pretty common place. Their opinions were based on what was spread around. By what extreme leaning people said.

I had a fair amount of that... and most folks (myself included) even if we were uncomfortable with it, weren't willing to take a stand against it.

Quote:
That may be true but I think some of it has to do with the culture you were raised in. I don't believe these people are actually "addressing their friends". But trying to help change the mind set of people who are not their friends.

Even if they aren't directly addressing their friends, by letting it be known that they are in this group, their friends will know where they stand..

And I probably misspoke with "family and friends".. it is more social circles, people with some commonality who can relate etc more than actually going at your immediate circle of friends.

yebat' Putin
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

And I probably misspoke with "family and friends".. it is more social circles, people with some commonality who can relate etc more than actually going at your immediate circle of friends.

I would venture to guess that the message would be much better received from people that felt there was a level of commonality from the messenger than from those you didn't have such a feeling about. Not from everyone mind you, but at least from those willing to listen with an open mind.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1622340 05/07/19 06:05 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
The Redneck Revolt's bat signal is a set of Billy-Bob teeth projected onto the likeness of Lincoln or MLK.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Swish #1622419 05/08/19 07:16 AM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
i'd never call some dude from NE ohio a redneck

Thats only because we have not hung out together.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Redneck Revolt

Link Copied to Clipboard