Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
If McCoy wants to be on the field at all times, then he's not coming to Cleveland. He'd be in a rotation here with Larry and Sheldon on board.

Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: BDU
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
As I said before, he is now just another guy to beat. Next.

I'm not so sure. Most people seemed convinced it was a done deal until McCoy's visit with Carolina. I think the odds changed after the Buccs signed Suh - who'll be wearing McCoy's number, and the Panthers were able to leverage playing the Buccaneers twice.

Frankly, that seems to be what made his decision.

It cannot be money - the deal he's being offered is one the Browns and Ravens both would have happily matched. It cannot be winning as I'd argue the Browns and Ravens are both more likely to win the AFC North than the Panthers are to overcome the Saints and Falcons.

There are a lot of factors that we cannot know, to be sure, but I think the success of his visit with the Browns was overshadowed by the urge to get back at his former team.

I'm not bothered by not signing him. I love the duo of Richardson and Ogunjobi. Some nice depth options between Coley, Davis and Lawrence. But I do think the early indication was that he was almost certain to join the Browns.

That is why when many were saying it was a no brainer, I said while it seems that way, we don't know what motivates the guy. Obviously going back to Raymond James and playing against his old team and in front of his old fans was a big motivating factor. At least we don't have to face him twice a year.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

As noted by Richardson, McCoy was not going to be top dawg here...maybe not even #2. Shame cause that would have been a heck of a tag team. Larry, Richardson and McCoy.

So all this talk about winning was not the #1 variable there was ego involved I'm sure.

Coley 6/1" 310 24 years old
Carl Davis 6'5" 320 27
Daniel Ekuale 6'3" 300 25
Devaroe Lawrence 6'2" 295 25
Brian Price 6'3" 322 24

One of these kids are going to have to step up!

jmho opportunity will be there. Coming in fresh and an offense on their heals cause we are kicking butt! Take advantage of it!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
j/c

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ve-about-tampa/

In what many saw as a sign of disrespect, the Buccaneers handed Gerald McCoy‘s jersey number to McCoy’s replacement, Ndamukong Suh, only days after releasing McCoy. They ushered McCoy out the door after nine seasons, saying he “just didn’t fit” their defense.

McCoy signed with the Panthers, giving him two chances to play his old team this season and however many seasons he’s in Carolina.

But McCoy, proving again what a class act he is, made it clear Tuesday that he has nothing but respect for the Bucs and appreciates the chance they gave him in drafting him in the first round in 2010.

“I don’t want it to be misconstrued the respect I have for the Buccaneers organization and how much I appreciate what they’ve done for me,” McCoy said on Ian Rapoport’s podcast, via a transcript from Greg Auman from TheAthletic.com. “A lot of people think I’ve turned my back on them or disrespected them. I’ll never do that.

“I’ll never say anything bad about Tampa. I’ll never say anything negative about Tampa. It doesn’t matter how much negative was said about me. It’ll never be reciprocated, because I know that organization changed my life. The time I had there was great.”

V
Legend
Legend
V
That is one classy dude. He always has been. TB did him dirty.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

He is a classy guy, but I don't know Tampa did him dirty. Things change is how I will leave it.

Not to diminish what McCoy said in any way, but he probably lives in Tampa or surrounding area and wants to continue to do so...Tampa is a great place to live. A really nice town/area. The Tampa Bay area which includes St. Pete and Clearwater, and really, Sarasota...that is the place you want to be if living in Florida is what you want. That 100 mile stretch of coast is pretty perfect.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

I agree that he's a classy dude. That said, I have to agree with Ballpeen here and say that I don't know that Tampa did him dirty. Things change, the Bucs and McCoy mutually agreed to part ways, and I'm not trying to take sides in that.

One could bring up the number thing, but you could also say that the Bucs released a player who wanted to be released when they had no obligation to. Call it a wash.

I haven't been to the Tampa area but I'll take peen's word for it. Sounds like an area I might enjoy sometime in the future actually.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I don't get the 'salary cap savings' angle of this trade. The diff between McCoy and Sue contracts is...what...3 million?

I understood the $13 million as an issue...but to back-fill it at $10 million seems odd to me.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

I don't get the 'salary cap savings' angle of this trade. The diff between McCoy and Sue contracts is...what...3 million?

I understood the $13 million as an issue...but to back-fill it at $10 million seems odd to me.
Agreed, and the fact they gave Suh his number tells me there is more to the story.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Can someone please tell me if McCoy wanted TB to release him because he didn't want to play for them anymore? I hadn't heard that before Haus made that claim. I was under the impression that TB released him due to his high salary. Is that wrong?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c:

Can someone please tell me if McCoy wanted TB to release him because he didn't want to play for them anymore? I hadn't heard that before Haus made that claim. I was under the impression that TB released him due to his high salary. Is that wrong?

I don't remember ever reading that McCoy wanted out. He talked some about wanting to "win" though...although I think AFTER he was released. Who knows for sure? If you are wrong about TB releasing him because of his salary, then so am I.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

I don't remember ever reading that McCoy wanted out. He talked some about wanting to "win" though...although I think AFTER he was released. Who knows for sure? If you are wrong about TB releasing him because of his salary, then so am I.

I don’t remember that, either. I thought it was a salary move by TB.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
j/c:

I don’t remember that, either. I thought it was a salary move by TB.

Same.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Add me to that list.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
j/c:

Reports after he were released were that the Bucs and McCoy mutually agreed to part ways. For example: https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/sports...ually-part-ways

Quote:
Buccaneers, Gerald McCoy Agree to Mutually Part Ways

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and 6-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Gerald McCoy have mutually agreed to part ways, the team announced on Monday.

McCoy's release was somewhat expected, but leaves the Bucs with a void on the defensive line
The defensive tackle is one of only five players in team history to make six consecutive Pro Bowl appearances
McCoy was drafted third overall in the 2010 Draft
McCoy was one of the franchise's most prominent players since being drafted with the third overall pick in the 2010 draft out of Oklahoma. His career with the Bucs included three 1st-Team All-Pro selections. He is one of only five players in team history to earn six consecutive Pro Bowl berths (Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp, Lee Roy Selmon and Mike Alstott).

The 31-year old leaves Tampa Bay with impressive career numbers. His 54.5 sacks rank fourth in team history, and he racked up 79 tackles for loss and 296 total tackles from his interior line position.

Off the field, McCoy may have made an even bigger impact. He became a fixture in the Tampa Bay community through his charity endeavors and was named Buccaneers Man of the Year in 2018.

Buccaneers General Manager Jason Licht said in a statement, "The decisions are very difficult, personally and professionally. Over the past nine years, Gerald has been a cornerstone of this franchise and a leader in our community. Parting ways with a player and person such as Gerald is one of the toughest responsibilities of this job. We wish Gerald, along with his wife, Ebony, and the entire McCoy family continued success and thank them for everything they have meant to our organization and community.

New head coach Bruce Arians added, "I know Gerald has done a lot of good things on and off the football field in Tampa during his time here. You hate to see good football players go, but this is a decision that we felt needed to be made in order to allow us, and Gerald, the ability to move forward. Gerald is a class-act and I wish him the best."

McCoy was due to make $13M this season, in the fourth year of his 6-year, $95.2M deal. However, the contract was not guaranteed after the third year, so the Bucs free up some much-needed cap space with the transaction.

The Buccaneers could also be without Jason Pierre-Paul for most, if not all, of the 2019 season. The defensive end suffered a fractured neck in a car accident in early May.

Could it have been the team and/or media spinning things in such a way to downplay releasing one of the few bright spots on the team in the recent past? Maybe.

I don't think McCoy ever directly commented on the situation. As we said, he's a classy dude. He did make comments about wanting to win though, and I don't think Tampa with their new coach and coming off a 5-11 record was the place for that.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/26/gerald-mccoy-i-want-to-win/

Quote:
Free agent defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, who took his first visit to Cleveland, said he has one priority in his search for a new team after nine years in Tampa Bay.

“I want to win,” McCoy said, via Josina Anderson of ESPN. “I’m not worried about where I’m living. Wherever I got to go to win. . . . Everybody’s open.”

So far, we know he’s expected to visit Baltimore after the holiday weekend. The two AFC North teams each have their own positives, but it’s not as if he’s checking out teams that are favorites to win the Super Bowl or anything.

Other teams that have been linked to him from various reports are the Panthers, Bengals, and Colts.

After being stuck with the Bucs, where they’ve missed the playoffs for 11 straight years, anything might be an improvement, though.

There were reportedly 10 teams in pursuit of his services, with offers coming in up to $11 million. It’s unclear how many of those offers came from perennial free agency favorite #MysteryTeam, but they’re always in the hunt for the Lombardi Trophy.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Just for the record Suh wore #93 last year with the RAMS to possibly it was not to insult McCoy but give him the number that he wanted. Pretty Logical I think.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
A lot of this stuff is overblown because it's the off-season and there isn't much to talk about.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum McCoy continued ...

Link Copied to Clipboard