Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1633043 06/16/19 03:56 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Odd topic, perhaps. My wife and I joined our Senior Services Center this year for the first time. I have started studying Tai Chi with some other older folks. I have studied some other arts, Tomiki aikido especially, and some weapons and other martial forms when I was much younger. I am studying the history, learning some forms, and I have been a very quick study at picking up on what stuff I am moderately lousy at. I write it off to a journey of learning, focus on my breathing, and get more reps with an open mind as I try to focus and relax.

A secondary part of this thread is the health part above. As "moving meditation" the QG can improve health and aging concerns according to claims. Balance, relaxation, blood pressure, strength, flexibility, and a variety of health factors may be strengthened and improved.

So, I asking the dawgs for several things, though the thread's door is open to others assuredly. Can you share any experience you have with this martial art? I am not a total newbie, but I welcome any tips, insight, wisdom, hindsight your experiences may have produced. I am interested in the health side as well. Some classes pursue almost all that and exclude the martial aspects of Tai Chi almost completely. It is my biggest hope for this class; I feel it has already helped some arthritis spots and old football injuries. They hurt daily before and still do, but less. Have you practiced this or do you know of it? I am reading about the theory and history of its evolution and find that very interesting. I have been told and I have also read that these two are always taught together. I am truly interested if you have some anecdotal "evidence" if you have first-hand experience in the health side or tips that might be shared about that. I am fewer than six months in, but I am feeling better. Maybe I am brainwashing myself with wishful placebo thinking and hoping. I can live with that.

I guess finally if you have any forms or favorites you studied, resources, whatever, this might be a sharing opportunity. I recognize it is not for everybody, but that is true for the board as a whole. Thanks in advance for responses, insight, and assistance.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
A quick google gives you a plethora of links to free training materials to many various forms and teachings. I looked into this once a few years ago, but sadly got sidetracked and never followed through.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...wiz.4Ff2P8kpcqk

https://www.google.com/search?q=free+tai...904&bih=934

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
My thoughts?

You probably already know. (like that’s hard)

The more you can get into this endeavor on a regular basis, the more you’ll get out of it.

With dividends.

You are mistaken grasshopper if you think I can end this post without...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks for the links. Ordered a mini-library of books to read and see the forms. Appreciated! thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Great clip. Loved the show in my youth! Were you born that wise or just get this way. I am really getting meshed with the health benefits we are pursuing, hopefully with a vengeance. I do, I learn, I ask. But I appreciate the clip. Thanks, RockyHD.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
If you liked that clip, you'll love this one. (one of my favorites)

from movie Billy Jack:

"You know what I think I'm gonna do now, just for the hell of it?"

"Tell me."

"I'm gonna take this right foot and whop you on that side of your face. And there's not a damn thing you're going to be able to do about it."

"Really?"

"Really."

***WHOP!!!***

Legend
Legend
Classic! Was just telling my son about that movie last week... And what a bad@** Billy Jack was. Told him about that exact scene. Good stuff Diam!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: FATE
Classic! Was just telling my son about that movie last week... And what a bad@** Billy Jack was. Told him about that exact scene. Good stuff Diam!

(it's kinda a secret that I'm really Diam)

Legend
Legend
Haha. My bad bro, have no idea why I did that!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Such great movie, again from my youth! Loved it. Still singing "One Tin Soldier" sometimes. I think the group was Coven. Powerful flick for the Transcendentalist Shao-lin types. That clip takes me back.

Gracious bow to the Splinter-dawg.

Legend
Legend
Just remember

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks, I am still looking for pebbles. This will help.

Legend
Legend

When I was about thirty I studied a Tai Chi from a master who was from China. He spoke very little English.

Didn't know what to expect at the time. I could not see how moving slowly could do anything. Major surprise. The class had air traffic controllers looking for stress relief. Car accident victims in rehab.

Tai Chi is a good thing for health of body and mind. I have been thinking of starting up again. I did it for about a year got distracted and had lots on my plate. Let it go.

I am retired now. I started lap swimming about eight years ago. I love it. There is a lot of things you can do in water using the resistance of the water. In addition to swimming I do high legs lifts while pushing through about 4.5 feet deep water. Spend about 50 minutes total in the water. Feel like a million afterward.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Tai Chi Chuan and Qi Gong

Link Copied to Clipboard