Print Thread
N
Neale Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
N
Hi everyone

My name is Neale. I am a UK Browns fan, I may of met a few of you a couple of years ago when the browns played the Vikings in London. !

I am in the very early stages of arranging, what would be for me, a once in a lifetime trip to America, Miami to be in and around the superbowl.

Convinced the wife she’s on board, we will also have a 6/7 month old baby with us.

My issues at the moment seem to be where to stay if in downtown miami, south beach/miami beach or up to Fort Lauderdale.

Has anyone been before or know the area location well? What is close to these particular areas?
Where is potentially best to go watch the Superbowl? Sports bars etc.
What else is worth doing there? We will be there for 10 nights i expect so i want to make the most of it in around the game as well as making sure we can take baby out ok with us.

is it even worth going with a baby?

All thoughts and opinions welcome !

Neale

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Hey limey!

Here’s some thoughts from a stranger.

Could be beast.

With a young wife and baby in tow it sounds long..

Not like rolling with the mandem.

Still can be wicked.

If your wife is an energetic mother, traveler and sports fan (especially American football) that will make it jokes. You’re a super lucky guy. (get it? “super”)

Do you have a link with fam near Miami? That would help.

Good luck.

How’s my London slang?

N
Neale Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
N
Hi Rocky

haha it's not bad, maybe if i can convince her to go Ohio one time i'll teach you some more. I'm from Birmingham, which is central England. We have quite a good local browns following.

You say it would be long with a baby.. how do you mean? is it hard to get about? Is there not much to do as a family?
I'll be honest i'm not a 'club' guy so i'm not too fussed on nitelife i just want to try and make the most of what will be a 10 day break in and around the superbowl.

Mrs loves the NFL, we have a baby due on Satuday. We don't know if it is a boy or a girl yet but if it is a boy, Baker is in the running!

No Miami family, i'm going in pretty blind to be honest..

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I live in Rocky Hill, Connecticut. The U.S. northeast.

I was born and raised in Cleveland, but I’ve been stuck in Connecticut now over 35 years.

Still only a Cleveland/Ohio sports fan. Never liked another.

I meant long with baby picturing you as a fanatic.

No it’s not hard with baby, Just different.

I was thinking when single I was a bit more reckless with behavior and surroundings when traveling. With wife and baby there was more to consider. (than just myself).

Still had a good time traveling.

I’m 62 now. Kids now adults. I can be reckless again.

(if I did this, I wouldn't see 63)

M
Legend
Legend
M
Miami is a place I'd prefer to go without the kids, but you can still have a great time bringing your child. Miami has quite the nightlife if that is your thing.

My wife and I have stayed at the Fontainebleau Hotel and Resort in Miami before and it was a great place to stay and I'd certainly recommend it.

Fontainebleau

A couple other family friendly resort type place to stay in Miami are:

Acqualina Resort

Loews Hotel Miami

Have fun!

N
Neale Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
N
Thanks chaps,

Just a Q on being able to take baby out to watch the Superbowl? Where is decent? would there be a tailgate by the ground?

Legend
Legend
Is getting a sitter totally out of the question? It just seems that this type of excursion may not be ideal with a baby in tow.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Welcome,

That is a pretty far reaching trip to be taking with a 7 month old. Have fun with that.

Sorry...JMO

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
That's just a less nice way of saying what I said. rofl

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Peen always was pretty direct.

I have to get on board with "try to find a sitter idea".. this trip is going to be expensive. A hotel in downtown Miami or South Beach during super bowl week. I have to imagine you are going to spend $600/night to find anything decent.. Every decent restaurant is going to be packed.. I don't know if you can fathom how many people will be flocking to that area that week. It will be insane.

Having a 7 month old is going to prevent you from enjoying almost all of the things south florida is known for, being out in the sun, boating/fishing, night life, Disney World..

You are going to spend thousands of dollars and only get to do about 1/10th of what is available to do..

Just my honest $.02.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: jfanent

I wasn't trying to be mean, just being real. At this point the baby isn't born if it is to be 6-7 months old for the Superbowl in early Feburary.

At that age the infant will be cutting teeth, it's ears popping due to altitude....yep, that's going to be fun.

Since no other child was mentioned, this is Neale's first child. He will learn. I just wouldn't want to see him spend a bunch of money up front and then find out making the trip is next to impossible.

Indeed, if there is no Granny to watch the child, he shouldn't think of making the trip.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
N
Neale Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
N
Good morning lads

Thank you for your thoughts, honestly no offence taken here.

We do have nannies for baby to stay with, its just whether mom wants to leave baby for so long!

Few other ideas we was looking at was get to Miami on the thursday, stay until monday/tues then take a trip down to the keys for the final 5 days or so. then have a relaxing holday by the pool etc.

Is the drive long?

I appreciate how busy it will be and also how many idiots there will be around.

Another thought was do just a long weekend, thursday to monday/tuesday. just seems a long way to go for just a few nights though so wanted to make a holiday out of it..

Legend
Legend
Quote:
We do have nannies for baby to stay with, its just whether mom wants to leave baby for so long!

It doesn't change the travel hassle but, Financially, is it an option to bring a nanny with you? Get the best of both worlds, do things with the baby, do adult things at night, etc...

Quote:
Few other ideas we was looking at was get to Miami on the thursday, stay until monday/tues then take a trip down to the keys for the final 5 days or so. then have a relaxing holday by the pool etc.

Is the drive long?

Do they not have Google where you live bro? poke

It's a joke, I'm kidding.. depends on how far into the keys you want to go, Miami to Key Largo is about 2 hours.

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Did somebody say nanny?

(dad hires nanny)

(mom hires nanny)

B
Legend
Legend
B
The drive from Miami to Key West is about 170 miles. It can take anywhere from 3-5 hours. It's usually closer to the 4-5 hour mark. Traffic is usually slow.

A cool option to Key West would be to take the "Key West Express" out of Ft. Myers. I have done that the last 3-4 times I have gone. It would take you about 2 hours to drive to the other coast. The Ferry takes about 4 hours and costs @$120. You don't need a car in Key West....take cabs and pedicycles. Just leave your car at the departure parking lot

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
There is a Key West Express out of Marco Island now too. Be a little shorter drive from miami, and about 45-1 hr less travel time on the express as well.

The express is a nice option, as the ticket is an open ended round trip, so you can stay as long as you like in the keys.

The last couple times we have gone though, we have taken Silver Airways out of Fort Myers for $170 round trip. 30 min flight, times are better then the Express.

Last edited by FloridaFan; 06/16/19 05:43 AM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I forgot Marco. I always come down from Venice to Ft Myers. Didn't think about the airline. Didn't even know it flew out of Myers. My wife and I are planning to go to Key West in Jan or Feb. for 2-3 days Been 4-5 years since our last visit. Maybe we will do that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
If you are a Browns fan, then I would wait until it looks like they will be in the SB to make that plan.

It will be more pricey. But why spend 15K+ when you dont know if they will be there?

No Craps Given
N
Neale Offline OP
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
N
good morning everyone

hope you all had a good weekend! 1 less weekend before football starts!

me and the mrs have had a good think of this over the weekend. I think we are just going to do 4/5 nights just me and her. Baby was due on Saturday so no sign of it yet but i think i have convinced her to have a few days away. the 10 days wont happen but i'm not too fussed about that.

So now will be a thursday/friday to tuesday break just us which will be nice. flights and an apartment is about £1000 each so not too bad.

Would of been nice to do 10 days and do the keys after but like many have said we wouldn't experience Miami and the Superbowl for what its for.

Thanks for all replies i will start getting stuck in on this forum now on browns and football talk

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Heading To Miami For The Superbowl

Link Copied to Clipboard