Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
link

Eric Berry, S, to the Cleveland Browns. A lot has transpired since John Dorsey signed Berry to a six-year, $78 million extension with the Chiefs in February of 2017. Achilles and heel injuries limited Berry to four games (including the playoffs) in the past two seasons, including the 2018 AFC title game, when Berry struggled in coverage against Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. Dorsey, meanwhile, ended up leaving Kansas City and taking on the Browns' rebuilding efforts. The 30-year-old Berry, who was released by the Chiefs this offseason, would bring leadership skills and savvy to a safety unit that currently includes just two other veterans (Damarious Randall and Morgan Burnett). The big question is whether the three-time All-Pro and five-time Pro Bowler will be able to stay healthy for an entire season.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think he’s worth a flier ...

Your thoughts? ..

Legend
Legend
Only if his health checks out. His play was really down the past 2 seasons due to injuries.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
My thought is that we are still thin at S

SaintDawg™

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The name listed above him in the link was Tre Boston who has played for Steve Wilks and is younger.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hard to believe Boston is unsigned.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I think the injuries are too big a concern.....and he probably wouldn't be worth the $$...

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Tyler_Derden
I think the injuries are too big a concern.....and he probably wouldn't be worth the $$...

That's a fair concern.. however, lets look at our depth chart at S:

S
42 BURNETT, MORGAN SF19
35 Whitehead, Jermaine W/GB
48 Ponder, Jermaine CF19

S
23 Randall, Damarious T/GB
33 Redwine, Sheldrick 19/4
40 Sankoh, Tigie CF18/EX

I see 3 Vets. Burnett, Whitehead and Randall.

SaintDawg™

D
Legend
Legend
D
Its a flier ,,, not much downside ... practically none ... IF he does return to 90% he’s a steal ...

Lets see what happens ..

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think you are both missing the Tre Boston part.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I can't believe that he's still unsigned.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I didn’t miss it .. i wanted to comment but this is a Berry thread and i wanted to stay on topic ... naughtydevil ...

I’m not sure why he hasn’t signed yet ... could be a bunch of things ...

Didn’t get the money he wanted cause of all the other really good safeties that hit the market and he’s waiting for a TC injury to get more money ...

Has an injury and wants to wait til he heals to get a better deal ...

As for us i believe he’s a FS and we need a SS ...

I dunno ...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I probably boils down to one of 4 things:

1. Injury concerns
2. Poor attitude
3. The player isn't any good
4. Money demands

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I didn’t miss it .. i wanted to comment but this is a Berry thread and i wanted to stay on topic ... naughtydevil ...

I’m not sure why he hasn’t signed yet ... could be a bunch of things ...

Didn’t get the money he wanted cause of all the other really good safeties that hit the market and he’s waiting for a TC injury to get more money ...

Has an injury and wants to wait til he heals to get a better deal ...

As for us i believe he’s a FS and we need a SS ...

I dunno ...

I didn't think this was a Berry thread. I saw it as an article about the top remaining free agents and Brandt speculated on where they could sign. Tre Boston is on that list. He's right above Berry in Brandt's article.

Both Boston and Berry have been productive. The concern w/Berry is his injury history. Boston would make more sense in my opinion. Brandt said he had 79 tackles and 3 picks last year for the Cardinals. Either guy would be okay w/me, but I think Boston would make more sense at this point in time.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
The name listed above him in the link was Tre Boston who has played for Steve Wilks and is younger.

Well the title of the article was finding a home.
So he is basically matching up players with teams and he is tying the two together due to Dorsey with KC signing Berry.

As for him coming here, as mentioned by some hopefully if so he will have a clean bill of health. In the article it mentioned can he STAY HEALTHY...if that is the case I think we have some good depth as a safety net...see what I did there...lol laugh

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I think the only really surprising part is that he's gone everywhere Wilks has and isn't here, yet.

Which makes me wonder: If Wilks hadn't brought him to Arizona last year, would his Unsigned status have started a year sooner?

My bet is that both Berry and Boston have been asking for way more money than anyone is willing to pay for aging Safeties and the market is telling them as much while they gamble that some team will have something force them into desperation mode and they will have to pony up those premium dollars for one of them.

We are definitely squarely in Camp A - we can wait, and we can do without them.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Ahh....#4, the answer I was seeking in this case.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Safety is very clearly a devalued position at this point. Corner is of the utmost importance.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree that corner has a great value, but because of the nature of today's game w/prolific passing attacks, we are seeing more and more nickle and dime defenses.

Due to this, the value of safeties has risen a bit. That's because many teams find it wise to replace their LBers w/a safety rather than a corner because they can not only defend the pass, but are typically better against the run.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I trust our GM to get players he wants competing for positions, he'll bring in guys as needed.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
link

Eric Berry, S, to the Cleveland Browns. A lot has transpired since John Dorsey signed Berry to a six-year, $78 million extension with the Chiefs in February of 2017. Achilles and heel injuries limited Berry to four games (including the playoffs) in the past two seasons, including the 2018 AFC title game, when Berry struggled in coverage against Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. Dorsey, meanwhile, ended up leaving Kansas City and taking on the Browns' rebuilding efforts. The 30-year-old Berry, who was released by the Chiefs this offseason, would bring leadership skills and savvy to a safety unit that currently includes just two other veterans (Damarious Randall and Morgan Burnett). The big question is whether the three-time All-Pro and five-time Pro Bowler will be able to stay healthy for an entire season.

We won't be signing Eric Berry or another imo.

1), Damarious Randall
2), Morgan Burnett
3), Jermaine Whitehead
4), Sheldrick Redwine
With;
Eric Murray
J.T. Hassell (PS?)
Fighting for a roster spot.

[Linked Image]

V
Legend
Legend
V
You are probably correct, although I can't say that I agree w/our decision. Tre Boston would be a significant upgrade over what we have now.

But again, you are probably correct.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Randal should be a top 5 Safety after this year. We just need one in that group to pan out. I wouldn't be opposed to Berry. I was a huge fan of his coming out of college.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Burnett didn’t inspire much last season and we have no idea how Redwine will be .. I’d be willing to give Berry a one year deal

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season 2019 NFL Draft Gil Brandt thinks that we may have a late FA signing..

Link Copied to Clipboard