Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Geesh ... a week or so into camp .... and they decide the guy they just hired is the wrong guy? Not the best way to start a new Head Coach's career ......

Dolphins fire O-line coach one week into camp
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27281614/dolphins-fire-o-line-coach-one-week-camp

DAVIE, Fla. -- The Miami Dolphins have fired offensive line coach Pat Flaherty and replaced him with Dave DeGuglielmo.

Flaherty was hired in February shortly after Brian Flores took over as head coach, but the Dolphins' offensive line has struggled throughout the spring and summer.

This move was football-based with nothing to do with an off-the-field incident, a source told ESPN.

Flores has made it clear that there are no "sacred cows" in the organization and players are competing for their jobs every day. It's apparent that refers to coaches, too, after the move to let go of Flaherty.

The fact that the move happened even before the preseason shows that the issues with how Flaherty was guiding the offensive line were significant. The interior of the offensive line, in particular, has been dominated by the defensive line through four days of training camp.

DeGuglielmo, who spent 2018 as the Indianapolis Colts' offensive line coach, was hired as a Dolphins football analyst in May. He's very familiar with Miami. This is his third stint as an assistant coach here (2009-11; 2017 after Chris Foerster resigned).

The move also means another former Patriots assistant in DeGuglielmo (offensive line coach, 2014-15) has a significant role on the Dolphins' coaching staff.

DeGuglielmo, also known as Guge, is recognized for turning the Colts' offensive line into one of the NFL's best last season, most notably thanks to the performances of rookie starters Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith.

The Dolphins are expected to have at least two new starters on their offensive line and need to groom several young players in that room, including third-round pick Michael Deiter.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1st String
1st String
Well that was fast. Guess that he made a pretty bad impression from the get go. Flores comes from the Bill Belichick school of first impressions could be your last!

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Legend
Legend
Kind of weird timing of course. SOunds like the guy couldn’t communicate/understand the schemes they wanted

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Sounds like two things to me...

Flores is flexing his authority. This is not uncommon in any company or organization when a new guy takes over.

He probably regretted not hiring the other guy to begin with.

Legend
Legend
I think the old saying "hire slow, fire fast" really applies here.. LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Haha “very fast”

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think if and when you find out the guy isn't the right one for the job, the sooner the better. But at this point I think you have to have as many questions about the guy who hired him as you do about the guy he hired.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

The head coach of the Dolphins today announced the Fitz is leading in the quarterback battle.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27286164/fins-coach-tabs-fitzpatrick-leader-qb-battle

That is bad news for Rosen. Fitz is a smart vet. Knows the game well. But at this point he is a perfect back up quarterback.

Rosen is now in his second year. This was a perfect opportunity on a rebuilding team. It would have made perfect sense for Rosen to prove he is their future franchise QB.

Not a good sign for Rosen.

The article talks about Fitz leading on the field and in the classrooms.

Something is lacking there with Rosen. Rosen throws a beautiful ball. He came into the league from college as one of the true pure passers.

His stock is sinking.

Legend
Legend
Wow, Rosen has had a rough year ... I’m surprised they’d make this announcement so early

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well, actually it was ESPN. And yes, it's far too early to make any type of call like that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Oh I thought it was from Flores

B
Legend
Legend
B
Glad we didn't draft that guy. Tim Couch all over.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Maybe the Cardinals ruined Rosen's MOJO a bit.

Legend
Legend
Seems like the Dolphins will go through some growing pains, or stagnation pains, or whatever this year

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Pat Flaherty was a damned good o-line coach,maybe he didn't approve of the "Patriot Way".
Maybe he'll resurface in Jacksonville,he spent like forever with Coughlin at the Giants,when they were playing smashmouth and winning SB's.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend
Thought Rosen would step in and own this. Is this just a matter of who wants it more? Like Rosen's ball, it is beautiful. Is he lacking the fire in the belly or not hitting a playbook enough. Puzzling to me. Not sure I would want Fitz as the number one.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I had never heard of him, but don’t follow coaching that much with position guys. Maybe he just didn’t match what they’re doing, but wouldn’t they know that before hiring him lol
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Pat Flaherty was a damned good o-line coach,maybe he didn't approve of the "Patriot Way".
Maybe he'll resurface in Jacksonville,he spent like forever with Coughlin at the Giants,when they were playing smashmouth and winning SB's.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Not sure where to stick this ... i know there was some chatter somewhere abut this competition so i figured i’d add this too it but i have no clue where it is .. *L* ..

JOSH ROSEN
QB, MIAMI DOLPHINS

According to Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald, Josh Rosen "might just be the Dolphins' QB1" when the team returns to practice on Monday.

Rosen shined during Saturday's intra-squad scrimmage, making what Beasley deemed as "remarkable throws," while Fitzpatrick fared poorly, committing two interceptions while nearly throwing a third on an errant pass he forced into double coverage. Fitzpatrick has held the lead in Miami's quarterback competition all offseason, but Saturday's tour de force performance by Rosen may have turned the tide. "He’s made some improvement really across the board," gushed first-year head coach Brian Flores. "Better footwork, better mechanics in the pocket, better decision-making." Rosen tanked as a rookie last year but never had much chance to succeed with a weak supporting cast and poor coaching in Arizona. The change of scenery this offseason seems to have done him some good.

RELATED: Ryan Fitzpatrick
SOURCE: Miami Herald
Aug 4, 2019, 10:19 AM ET

E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't think they have any other choice than to make him the #1. I mean Fitzpatrick has a clear history and he is so Hot and Cold. The kid Josh is a good QB and cream always rises to the occasion. Good for him. If they keep him upright he will do good. Get him punch drunk then he will falter badly!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Looks like there's still a chance "Rosen will be chosen".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
They gotta keep him upright bro and i don’tknow that they can do that ...

We may never get a chance to see what Rosen could have been ... he got the crap beat out of him last year in Zona behind the worst OL in the league and it appears he may be once again playing for the team with the worst OL in the league ..

Dudes got “battle scars” in his memory from last year and this year could just add more .. at some point getting over your reality of getting constantly pummeled becomes hard to overcome ...

I’d LOVE to see him at least get a chance ... for his sake, hopefully i’m wrong about the fish this year for his sake ..

Legend
Legend
Jc

IMO, they HAVE to make Rosen the starter. The season is kind of a wash for them anyways ... it’s pointless to play Fitzpatrick as the starter. Gotta see what Rosen gives you before you draft a QB high next year

V
Legend
Legend
V
Most people have Miami as the worst team in the league when they do their power rankings.

If the 'Phins believe in Rosen, they might be smart to feed Fitz to the wolves and bring Rosen along slowly. Of course, I don't know if how highly they regard him.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Jc

IMO, they HAVE to make Rosen the starter. The season is kind of a wash for them anyways ... it’s pointless to play Fitzpatrick as the starter. Gotta see what Rosen gives you before you draft a QB high next year

I agree with this.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Yeah, they’ve sent mixed signals with this new story ... I think they’re a bottom 3 team in the NFL. Not much going for them anywhere

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Dolphins (Already) Fire OL Coach

Link Copied to Clipboard