Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Browns to unveil Otto Graham statue at stadium – ProFootballTalk
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/30/browns-to-unveil-otto-graham-statue-at-stadium/

The Browns will honor one of the greatest players in NFL history with a statue. The question is: What took so long?

Owners owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam announced Tuesday they will unveil a statue of Otto Graham at FirstEnergy Stadium during the Browns’ Fantennial Weekend Sept. 6-8.

“As we celebrate the NFL’s 100th season, we are honored to pay tribute to Otto Graham with this timeless sculpture that will properly recognize him not only as one of the Browns’ top players but also as one of pro football’s greatest all-time quarterbacks,” the Haslams said in a statement. “This year’s Alumni Weekend will be truly special as we welcome many of our Browns Legends back home in Cleveland, as well as have the opportunity to thank and host many members of Otto Graham’s family.”

Graham is one of the best quarterbacks in the game’s history and undoubtedly will have a place on the NFL’s list of 100 greatest players.

He was a member of the first Browns team in 1946 and played all 10 of his professional seasons in Cleveland. The Browns appeared in 10 consecutive title games with Graham at quarterback, winning four All-America Football Conference championships (1946, 1947, 1948, 1949) and three NFL Championships (1950, 1954, 1955).

Graham, inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1965, died in 2003 at the age of 82.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Right on! It's about time and hopefully the first of many legendary Browns. The two Browns should def be next (Jim & Paul), however!

C
Legend
Legend
C
There already is a Jim Brown statue.

I’d guess that Joe Thomas has one at some point also.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
There already is a Jim Brown statue.

I’d guess that Joe Thomas has one at some point also.

Lol! Somehow I either missed this entirely or read & forgot about it. That dates the last time I was there as it was just the relief plaques! For the record, it was 2014 when I last went to CLE for a game! But, I will be there this weekend so I look forward to seeing the the bronze Jim!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I was thinking the same thing about honoring Paul and how it would play out in the 513. Sensitive issue as without him both teams history would be completely different.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
If you did one at each compass point that would allow for 2 more. Joe Thomas and Bernie? Groza, perhaps?

D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't see it as "delicate" or "complicated". Without Paul Brown, there would be no Cleveland Browns. The hell with Cincinnati, Paul Brown should have an enduring memorial in Cleveland at the Browns' Stadium, or else no one should.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Until the interweb, until I joined this board in 2003, I don't recall having heard of Otto Graham, and I've been a Browns fan since January of 1988. I know a lot more now, though.

I do agree with the author: what took so long?

btw I love him to death, but I don't think Bernie is quite legendary enough to have a statue.

Statues outside stadiums should be few and far between, and reserved for only the true giants of the game.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
P
Legend
Legend
P
This is long overdue.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This is long overdue. Glad to see this. He was great. Defines where the bar should be in the HOF.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
If you did one at each compass point that would allow for 2 more. Joe Thomas and Bernie? Groza, perhaps?

Groza. He is a HOF player, Bernie isn't.

As far as Joe, I agree he should get one, but to me you build statues later in life. Bring Joe back when he is 65 or 70.

After that, there really isn't anyone truly worthy. Some might say Lou isn't, but Lou is the guy who made the kicker position important. Before him they kicked extra points and maybe try a 25 yarder now and then. Lou started kicking 45 yarders, which was a long kick back in late 40's.

He really did create a position. Teams didn't have a kicker or punter. They had a position player who could also kick or punt. Once Lou started kicking deep balls, teams started to think that maybe they need someone who can do that and it didn't matter if they could play another position.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Why force it when we could leave some open for the possibility that we have a couple more great players more worthy... like somebody who leads the team to a super bowl.

yebat' Putin
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Why force it when we could leave some open for the possibility that we have a couple more great players more worthy... like somebody who leads the team to a super bowl.

I got you, I got you. I'm sure bronze artists in CLE are already working on small mock ups of BM! wink

Legend
Legend
My thoughts as well. Probably should have been done before he passed away TBH
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
This is long overdue.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

No doubt. I know there are the 4 main compass points, but you have main points on the 1/8 point. Northeast is a main compass point.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Until the interweb, until I joined this board in 2003, I don't recall having heard of Otto Graham, and I've been a Browns fan since January of 1988. I know a lot more now, though.

I remember watching that NFL show, 'Inside The NFL' on HBO(?) back in the late 70s/early 80s. We had just got cable...it was around the time of the Kardiac Kids, Red Right etc. and the cable channel box was this big cumbersome box with push buttons and a thick cable going to the back of the tv. Not only did the show recap past weeks, seasons etc. but they also did back history ones where they focused on Tarkenton & Vikings, Dawson & the Chiefs, the Packers, Browns etc. I remember absorbing the old footage of Brown (x2), Graham, Groza, '64 Championship etc. Man, talk about a great show for a young kid who was falling in love with the game & his team.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
It is awesome that Otto is getting a statue as it is much deserved of course!

Clay being put in the ring of honor is absolutely awesome and long over due.

I plan on being at that game for sure as he was my favorite player when I was growing up.

Saint, Columbus etc. I will be coming to your tailgate if that is OK to meet everyone smile

Legend
Legend
J/c

Congrats to Clay as well! Much deserved

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

Cleveland Browns
Published on Jul 31, 2019
Browns legend Clay Matthews will be inducted into the Browns Ring of Honor on Sunday, September 22 when the Browns play the Rams on Sunday Night Football at FirstEnergy Stadium.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Cleveland Browns
Published on Jul 31, 2019
Browns legend Clay Matthews will be inducted into the Browns Ring of Honor on Sunday, September 22 when the Browns play the Rams on Sunday Night Football at FirstEnergy Stadium.

This is a long time coming, hope the HOF wakes up.

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Someone compared his stats to junior seau's, who is in the hof.

Clay belongs....

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Someone compared his stats to junior seau's, who is in the hof.

Clay belongs....
yep, his stats/longevity rank way up there

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Otto Graham to be Honored With Statue This Season

Link Copied to Clipboard