Next Thread
Print Thread
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
How classy is the Browns organization and what I think they should or could do.
JMHO- the Browns talk a good game, but the ownership hasn't ever looked at organization, honored the past the way it should have been done or could be done. A major problem is we fired/ burned to the ground our founder- Paul Brown.
Several classy organizations have great fan and organization interface. Example- Boston Red Sox- ever been on a tour of Fenway, seen trophies, stalls, photos of their greats- you get to see the locker rooms.
College football powers- Alabama, Clemson, hell Boise State- if you haven't seen how they honor the past teams- their trophies, etc. check it out on the net.
What do Browns offer- well, I traveled from Florida, thought I'd check out Browns- plexiglass screen- no contact with anyone, the 64 Championship trophy is in lobby looking like it's an cigarette butt holder. Where are photos of early years- Otto won how many championships, where is,are honored pictures or trophies of 50s, 60s, 70s- yes we have an honor ring, but how are All Pros like Warfield, Brown, Groza etc., etc. honored. Yes, they got paid, but GM has talked about the sleeping giant....hell, do the guys need to go to Canton to see our history. And FANS would pay to see our history IF it was presented in a classy, honorable way.
Berea isn't rich enough to make what I'm talking about happen, but smart businessmen might.
We don't even rate a decent internet board sponsored by the ORGANIZATION.....classy? Maybe, not so much.....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend

Living out of state it is hard to answer that.

I guess there must be a suggestion box of some kind.

The stadium would be the best place for some kind of Browns HOF.
I have seen things like that in other stadiums.

There is a rich history. And if done right I am sure it would be well received.

My guess would be to contact Dee Haslam thru some means. There has to be a way that kind of request could be forwarded to her attention.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I despise the marketing promotions these days. They are terrible. Mayfield as the savior makes me cringe.

Grow up and stop reading your own hype.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Ugh, my own hype...doesn't compute. Notre Dame has Heritage Hall, Cowboys display their stuff well, Green Bay Packers have their Hall of Fame.

Grow up, buddy, I'm 71 and I've seen classy places, maybe you haven't....I'd like our Browns to do better job.
Why do I care- born in Lakewood, danced on snow covered front yard of Grandpa house in 64 when we smoked Colts.

Sorry, I'm just typing an opinion....I'm past grown up.
GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
J
Legend
Legend
J
Dude, he was talking about the Browns, not you. Settle down.

Legend
Legend
It’s tough to tell IMO ... we’re going to have a lot of opportunity in the next few years to make our franchise a prominent force in the NFL ... so we’ll see how our leadership handles it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Whenever I've felt a bit weary since The Return, I break out Huler's book ("On Being Brown").

Yeah, it's a rah-rah book.

But then again, there hasn't been a lot to rah about for 20 years.

Comfort food.

B
Legend
Legend
B
We have the ring of honor in the stadium. A ring of plaques on the outside. I was there when the Jim Brown statue was unveiled. I think we do a good job.

I'd like to see them enter Abe Abraham..."the guy in the Brown Suit" who caught extra points and field goals in the closed end of the stadium from the 40's through the 60's. Maybe in to the 70's.

Who remembers that?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
The Cleveland Browns' No. 1 fan, Abe 'The Man...
AUG. 3, 1982

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/08/03/The-Cleveland-Browns-No-1-fan-Abe-The-Man/1912397195200/

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns' No. 1 fan, Abe 'The Man in the Brown Suit' Abraham, died in his sleep Monday at his home in suburban Strongsville. He was 74.

An immigrant from Lebanon who ran a delicatessen and a restaurant, Abraham was assigned by the Browns to catch extra point and field goal attempts during all home games.

He stood in the closed end of Cleveland Stadium waiting for kicks, always wearing a brown suit.

He began his special duties in 1946 when Lou Groza was kicking for the Browns and worked his last game Dec. 12 when the Browns lost to the New York Jets 14-13.

Abraham, recently hospitalized with heart problems, got his special job by accident. He had been working at the stadium pass gate when he was sent across the field to deliver a message.

Abraham walked behind the goal posts just as Groza attempted a field goal. He said he looked up, saw the ball coming right at him and caught it. Afterward, he said, he was treated by the team doctor for bruised ribs.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Haha forgot all about that guy’s story

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Great story, thanks for sharing. Don't know that history- Just don't thinks Browns have shown enough class to past. Just because Paul Brown led two teams from birth doesn't mean he shouldn't be honored more for his/team UNBELIEVABLE dominance of NFL upon their arrival...that specific era should be highlighted lot more in MHO. Landry, Walsh, many others took from Brown and made their tweeks...father of modern football and isn't honored enough....sour grapes...sorry.....GO Browns!!!

L
Legend
Legend
L
How cool is that?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I had forgotten this guy. Great story. RIP.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I am not sure what you are looking for. Unless they took them down, the Club levels at First Energy is packed with life size pictures of past greats. The ring of honor is slightly new because we had a different method of honoring our players. We have Bronze plaques that cover the outside on the south east corner of the Stadium. They just placed a huge Jim Brown Statue at the stadium. There is far more decorating of the past at First Energy than there ever was at Municipal. If you are expecting a full blown museum like some others...well I am not sure I agree that we should. It just isn't Cleveland Blue Collar Style...and with Canton just down the road. How necessary is it. Not to mention...are we at the Stadium to go see a museum or watch the game? I have had several tours of First Energy and I have seen the lockerooms, and I have been on the field

The Berea Complex is decorated heavily with murals of the past. and with the head coaching changes we have had...they have been changed up regularly. But one thing has always been steady and that has been a respect to the past. Heck the complex is located on Lou Groza Blvd. and the Street lines around the complex are not white or yellow but Orange. Look at the dinner the Browns had to welcome the rookies. THey had greats from just about every era in attendance. You think the Browns had them com in on their own dime?

I posted an article not too long ago about the death of a former Brown. This player was a bit player who was only on the team for 2 years. He had issues with Paul Brown and well became disillusioned with professional football and went on to do many community related things. Despite never being a star player, nor even with the team very long, and the guy hadn't played football in over 50 years. One of the largest floral displays at the funeral was sent by the Browns. If that is not class...Then I don't know what you are looking for.

As for the Browns Site and Board...THIS BOARD is a direct descendant of the Dawg Talk site that was sponsored by the Browns Organization. The Browns LED THE NFL with their internet catering to the fans. In fact many of us still on this board actually got to meet each other in person as part of Browns sponsored event. We were given VIP access to training camp. We saw Courtney Brown doing one on one pass rush drills against the OL at about 5 ft away. They included a gift bag with Browns merchandise. Included also was lunch at the Stadium with a tour and getting to speak with some of the Browns Front Office including one of the VP's.

Training Camp is extremely Fan Centric and caters to as many fans as is possible. Heck some teams only have a couple dates where they can come and see practice...

Stadium Tours are available(Not so sure about Berea)...all you have to do is call them.

If you are not seeing class and fan centric posturing from this organization...I am not sure what you are looking for nor where you are looking...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
I agree about TC being fan friendly, at least in the past. Yeah, we all wish for DT day there ... but it’s free, there’s concessions/seating/autographs/promotions/etc

P
Legend
Legend
P
There was a time when they had what was called Dawg Talk Day when the team first came back for a few years. It was a wonderful thing. As was mentioned there were VIP passes for attendees. Tents with food included for both practices. A stadium tour between practices. Media guides and goodie bags were given out. Autograph sessions with some of the players.

It was a wonderful thing that the team did for some of us fans. But is that something fans can or should really expect? At the time the team had been gone and there were no Browns from 1996 through 1998. The team went the extra mile to make sure and bring fans back into the fold. That was a very sweet added bonus but something I don't expect.

As far as honoring the past, I think the Browns do a pretty good job of that. Many of the previous posters in this thread have pointed that out so I see no need to repeat it. Our history is of a storied franchise and the current powers that be seem to be doing everything in their power to try to make that happen again.

As a fan, that's all I can ask for and is a refreshing change of pace.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Lets not for get the "Building the Browns" segments on the Official Site. You can check. Not every team has this type of production available to their fans. We essentially have a Hard Knocks EVERY YEAR...lol Add to that the radio shows and other exclusive video available to the fans and I think the Browns do very well reaching out to fans....Oh and has it been mentioned about all of the Helmets donated to local schools or the 10 new football fields they built for local school???

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
Good point Pete ... we’ve got good access to the team in regards to most other fan bases

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've talked to my club Prez and he tell's me that Browns Alumni are telling him that the VIP lounge they had at the stadium has been done away with and they don't get treated with much respect by the current ownership / organization

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Quote:
There was a time when they had what was called Dawg Talk Day when the team first came back for a few years.

Speaking of which. Earl Little still likes his slushies.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
I've talked to my club Prez and he tell's me that Browns Alumni are telling him that the VIP lounge they had at the stadium has been done away with and they don't get treated with much respect by the current ownership / organization

I don't know anything about that. I know they added some club sections that fans can join. Maybe that space reserved for "VIP's" was turned to space fans can access?

Something tells me that if Joe Thomas showed up and wanted to see a game, he would somehow find a seat outside the general seating areas.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I remember one time at DT day Shaun O’Hara brought me inside the door of the facility and made every player sign my ball (I was in like middle school) ... such an awesome move by him

Legend
Legend
This one time at Dawg Talk Day...... naughtydevil

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I remember one time at DT day Shaun O’Hara brought me inside the door of the facility and made every player sign my ball (I was in like middle school) ... such an awesome move by him

Right or left?

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
shocked grin

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
This one time at Dawg Talk Day...... naughtydevil
tongue

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Right or left?
naughtydevil

Legend
Legend

Right or left?
naughtydevil

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: hitt
Ugh, my own hype...doesn't compute. Notre Dame has Heritage Hall, Cowboys display their stuff well, Green Bay Packers have their Hall of Fame.

Grow up, buddy, I'm 71 and I've seen classy places, maybe you haven't....I'd like our Browns to do better job.
Why do I care- born in Lakewood, danced on snow covered front yard of Grandpa house in 64 when we smoked Colts.

Sorry, I'm just typing an opinion....I'm past grown up.
GO Browns!!!!

Jules was indeed correct, my tirade was not directed at you, it was directed at the Browns marketing department.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
But of course
Originally Posted By: FATE

Right or left?
naughtydevil

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
That’s overdue most likely ... what a career he had; a franchise builder

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Browns Organization- how classy is it

Link Copied to Clipboard