Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Browns 2019 training camp preview: Analyzing the linebackers

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-2019-training-camp-preview-linebackers

Summer vacation keeps on chugging along for the Browns, but we're spending the weeks ahead of training camp preparing for endless sun rays and seas of brown and orange-clad fans as far as the eye can see through our much-needed sunglasses. Can you feel us wishing good weather into existence in Berea? Us neither (don't jinx it).

While we wait for the players to return and the ball boys to roll out the pigskins, we're previewing training camp by looking at each position. Today's group: linebackers.

THE LINEBACKERS
Christian Kirksey

Joe Schobert

Ray-Ray Armstrong

Genard Avery

Adarius Taylor

Sione Takitaki

Mack Wilson

Willie Harvey

Anthony Stubbs

Dedrick Young II

What we know: At the top of this group are two familiar faces who have played many downs of football for the Browns: Kirksey and Schobert. The latter was a ray of sunshine in a dark time for the Browns, tying for the NFL lead in tackles (144) and making the Pro Bowl at the conclusion of the team's 0-16 campaign. The former is as much an effective face of the franchise as he is a reliable linebacker, serving as a positive force in his first few years with the team despite the franchise's struggles. When Kirksey was lost last season to injury, his absence showed as the defense struggled against the run in the second half of the campaign. He and Schobert return in 2019 with the company of new faces, about whom we don't know too much. That's what the next section is for, though, and the players who are returning bring an assortment of potential for significant contribution. Avery is one, shining in pass-rush scenarios as a rookie and rising as a possible replacement for the departed Jamie Collins. "He plays with his hair on fire," run game coordinator/linebackers coach Al Holcomb said of Avery. "He plays fast, his effort is relentless, he's physical at the point of attack. Those are the things, the intrinsic things that he brings to the table, that he brings to this defense, just his overall ability and his willingness and pursuit to get to the football. And he's a pretty good pass rusher as well." Armstrong brings a veteran presence and tremendous athleticism that could fill depth gaps in the second level of the defense, especially as the season moves into its most difficult stretches. Taylor is a versatile linebacker and an ideal fit for Steve Wilks' defense, which values the ability to play multiple positions.

What we don't know: There are five rookies in this group, meaning there are a lot of unknowns. The highest selection of the five is Takitaki, a third-round pick out of BYU who was the apple of assistant GM Eliot Wolf's eye. We'll see how well he can perform once the pads come on, which is also true of Wilson, an athletic linebacker whom the Browns selected in the fifth round out of Alabama. After that, we move into an undrafted free agent group of Harvey, Stubbs and Young. It's going to be tough to crack the final 53 for this group, as the Browns kept just six linebackers last season and likely only have space for two or three rookies at most.

Photos: Browns Linebackers for 2019 Training Camp
Check out photos of the Browns linebackers

X-Factor: Rookies. They might not make it entirely evident, but this front office has at least some expectation for Takitaki to play a role in this defense. Wilson fulfilling the draft projections that had him going much higher than the fifth would be a boon. If both can carve out roles and/or prove themselves capable of playing quality downs, this defense will become much better. Going into the offseason, linebacker was the biggest question mark. It can be answered with their play, combined with what you'll get out of the veteran group.

The biggest number: 104. Despite the criticism, Collins still led the Browns in tackles last season with 104 (and tackles for loss with 13). His presence off the edge, while not always consistent, will be one that needs replacing. They'll have to find the best prospect(s) to attempt to make up that number, which isn't always indicative of team success but usually is of individual progress. Add in his 4.0 sacks and seven QB hits and there are some decent-sized shoes for this group to find a way to fill as it figures out who will be on the final roster.

Says it all: "We're gonna be aggressive. We're gonna try to create negative plays on first and second down. (Wilks is) an intense individual. The attention to detail will be there within the system. Fundamentals and technique, the same thing that we're preaching here in May and June, we're gonna still be preaching in December and January. The philosophy doesn't change. The fundamentals and technique will be the core values that we believe in and preach, running to the ball, being physical and tackling." - Holcomb

How many were kept on the initial 53-man roster last year?: 6

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
I actually expect Taylor to play quite a bit (and maybe even start) ... This is a group that I’m wary of because of our lack of athleticism. However, I think the loss of Collins will actually help us this year.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
This is the group I'm most concerned about on this entire team.
I feel like our season will go however our Linebackers and secondary (mostly Greedy) pan out.

If we end up with the same old linebacker unit that gets gashed by TEs and tackles RB's 4 and 5 yards downfield consistently, then we are going to be in a LOT of shootouts.

Additionally, if the Secondary and DLine live up to expectations, offenses will look more to quick hitters, dump offs, screens, etc.... all those things that spread and stress your Linebackers. If these guys aren't up to that challenge, we're in for a bumpy ride.
If they ARE up for that challenge, the sky is the limit.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Door open for rookie linebackers to crack starting lineup

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190721/bro...starting-lineup

Browns rookie Mack Wilson explained his new team’s outlook at linebacker more succinctly than anyone else has.

“John Dorsey didn’t draft two inside linebackers for no reason,” Wilson said in June. “So I feel like there’s an opportunity.”

There is indeed an opportunity for Wilson and Sione Takitaki, another linebacker from the 2019 draft class, to make a real difference in the upcoming season. Training camp, which opens July 25, will provide them with a crucial test.

Based on the Browns picking Takitaki in the third round (No. 80 overall) out of Brigham Young University and Wilson in the fifth (No. 155) out of the University of Alabama, Takitaki is likely to earn significant playing time sooner than Wilson. Either way, the door is open for both of them to contribute.

When healthy, incumbent starting linebackers Joe Schobert and Christian Kirksey fall in the solid-to-good range at this point in their careers. Schobert is in the final year of his rookie contract, so his status is a factor to consider while discussing the motive behind drafting Takitaki, 24, and Wilson, 21.

Still, Dorsey, the former Green Bay Packers linebacker who became a general manager, clearly wants more toughness and impact plays at the position he knows so well. That’s the main takeaway from listening to the Browns explain why they drafted Takitaki and Wilson in April. They view Takitaki as the epitome of toughness who has the makings of a defensive culture-changer and Wilson as a fluid, athletic defender who has the ability to produce special plays.

None of this guarantees Takitaki or Wilson will crack the starting lineup this year. The possibility exists, though, and it’s more than a long shot.

Schobert and Kirksey were the first-team linebackers throughout spring practices, when new Browns defensive coordinator Steve Wilks used the nickel package far more frequently than his 4-3 base scheme. When three linebackers were on the field at the same time, free-agent pickup Adarius Taylor joined Schobert and Kirksey with the No. 1 defense. Taylor was on the strong side, Schobert in the middle and Kirksey on the weak side.

After Dorsey cut strongside linebacker Jamie Collins in March, the GM touted 2018 fifth-round pick Genard Avery as a likely replacement. But Dorsey made the comment before he changed the linebacker landscape with the selections of Takitaki and Wilson. In spring practices, Avery played the role of an edge rusher on the defensive line much more than the part of a linebacker.

Of the veterans in the linebacking corps, Schobert figures to be the biggest key.

He received a trip to the Pro Bowl in 2017 and then actually played better last season despite getting no Pro Bowl recognition whatsoever. A hamstring injury cost him three games and undoubtedly interfered with his bid.

Schobert, 25, had 103 tackles, including three sacks, six passes defensed, an interception, two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries last season. ProFootballFocus.com ranked him 11th among 92 qualifying linebackers in 2018. He earned PFF’s second-highest coverage grade among linebackers with at least 500 snaps, finishing behind only Bobby Wagner of the Seattle Seahawks.

However, Schobert also became the face of the defense’s glaring problem — missed tackles. The Browns missed 169 tackles last season, according to PFF. They finished with the worst team tackling grade (34.8) the website has handed out since 2011. Per PFF, Schobert missed 24 tackles on 110 attempts, giving him an NFL-low 4.6 tackling efficiency among the 71 off-ball linebackers who had at least 400 defensive snaps last year.

The Browns obviously need Schobert to improve in this area. Whether he does should influence Dorsey’s decision about how to handle the expiring contract of the 2016 fourth-round pick (No. 99 overall) from the University of Wisconsin.

Kirksey, who will turn 27 on Aug. 31, has plenty to prove, too. He has yet to meet expectations tied to the four-year, $38 million contract extension, which includes $20 million guaranteed, he signed in 2017. He appeared in every game of his career until last season, his fifth in the NFL, when he missed two games with an ankle injury and the final seven with a hamstring injury. In seven games, he had 43 tackles, five passes defensed, two interceptions and a fumble recovery.

Of 92 eligible linebackers, PFF ranked Kirksey 85th and Taylor 91st.

Taylor, 28, received 10 of his 16 career starts last season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after Pro Bowl linebacker Kwon Alexander suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament on Oct. 21 against the Browns. Taylor finished the season with 60 tackles, including a sack, five passes defensed, an interception and a forced fumble.

After Taylor joined the Browns in March by signing a two-year, $5 million contract, which includes $1 million guaranteed, he said, “I came here to start.”

But Takitaki and Wilson arrived a month later with the same plan in mind.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
What do you mean by quite a bit? 20% of the snaps? It will be rare for us to have three linebackers on the field. Even when we do I’d expect one of the rookies to be the third guy on the field sooner rather than later.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Schobert is one of the best coverage linebackers in the league. Kirksey is the guy that needs to protect his neck.

Legend
Legend
Agreed on both accounts ... Kirko may be a goner, though I don’t know the dead money, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
.. But Takitaki and Wilson arrived a month later with the same plan in mind.

This could prove to be a most purdent move by these two additions. This unit has been subpar for too long now imo.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
...After Taylor joined the Browns in March by signing a two-year, $5 million contract, which includes $1 million guaranteed, he said, “I came here to start.”

Of course he did. Now he has to earn it.

I could see Takitaki giving him a run for his $

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Schobert is one of the best coverage linebackers in the league. Kirksey is the guy that needs to protect his neck.

I agree, from Wilson breathing down his neck.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Agreed on both accounts ... Kirko may be a goner, though I don’t know the dead money, etc

Kirksey will be here this year. Contract is big and virtually guaranteed (for this year).

He's a Captain. His reps might get more and more limited, but he'll be here. Just as Jamie Collins was here last year. Next year we have options in terms of Christian Kirksey, he's due like 8.75 million and we lose 2.4 million if we cut him (netting us like 6.3 million in savings)

But this year, he'll be here. And that's good. He had a rough year last season, but he's still only 26 years old and he's the leader of the defense (probably the longest tenured Brown at this point too)

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 07/23/19 11:57 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
Legend
Legend
C
I think Kirksey will be on the team but he might lose playing time at some point.

Legend
Legend
I’ve heard/read multiple places how much we’ve liked Adarius Thomas ... I think he’ll stick as well. And obviously I Takitaki will be here too

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I think Kirksey will be on the team but he might lose playing time at some point.

I'd agree with that, but not that much. All depends on how our other LBs play (and he plays). As I said, he's still 26 years old.

Next year is even more cloudy though. Joe Schobert will certainly have suitors as an UFA. I think Greg Williams last year called him another coach on the field. And Kirksey's contract is sizeable (and we can get out of it).

I think we'll see less of Taylor than most seem to think. And our rookies will be situational/special teams players. It'll be another year of Kirksey and Schobert (barring injuries)

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I wish that article covered a little about how the upgraded D line will benefit the LBs...as well as the probable change in the schemes on the back end of the D.

I'll add that Kirksey better step up his game.

Legend
Legend
Yeah there’s no question that the improved DL helps everything behind it. We basically need our LBs to be better against RBs and TEs out of the backfield in key spots

Legend
Legend
B/c of the additions on the d-line, I think both Kirksey and Schobert will thrive.

However, seeing the comments that Kirksey need to step it up, I think its the case for Kirko and Schobert. The numbers say Schobert is great in coverage, but I need to see more from him against the run.

Both Kirko and Schobert need to watch out for the 'Mack-o-Tak'

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not making any predictions, but some folks like to point to the number of missed tackles our LBers had last year. I am not claiming they are good tacklers because both are kinda weak for their position. However, when your DTs are getting blown up and offensive linemen are getting clean runs at your LBers, then it only makes sense to understand that the latter will miss more tackles.

Think about this, folks. Imagine your own self on one side of the line and a guy w/a football and another dude in front of him on the other side of the line. On the first play, the guy in front of the ball carrier stands still and you get a clean shot on the ball carrier. Then, on the next play, the guy in front of the ball carrier comes off the line and engages you and you have to shed him and make the tackle.

Repeat these steps a hundred times. What do you think the percentages will be of you making the tackle in Scenario 1 and Scenario 2.

Numbers tell a story are and useful. However, they do not tell the entire story.

Believe me, there is a reason John Dorsey--the football guy-knew he had to upgrade our DL in general and our DTs in particular.

Legend
Legend
I think the Baltimore game when they GASHED us on the ground was a tell tale sign that our interior DL was priority number 1

Legend
Legend
Sione Takitaki: How his presence fills a need for the Cleveland Browns defense in 2019
By Jake Burns

https://expo.cleveland.com/sports/g66l-2...se-in-2019.html

BEREA, Ohio -- NFL life takes some getting used to. Even for someone who plays the game as aggressively and passionately as Sione Takitaki.

The rookie linebacker has played all over the field. He's aligned as a 3-4 edge linebacker, and in the middle in 4-3 schemes. BYU made the switch to the 4-3 and it was successful in large part due to Takitaki's prowess in the middle.

The Browns took note of that physical linebacker when preparing for the 2019 draft. They selected Takitaki in third round with a desire to add some pop and effort to the linebacker room. His high energy and desire to chase perfection also caught their eye.

Takitaki discussed his play style after Saturday's first full pad practice. “I feel like I am a high-energy guy so I just go out there and try to attack stuff and do everything right."

However, Takitaki's desire to play fast and passionately has to be throttled down on occasion. The veterans took note of his high intensity and it led to a couple early issues in non-pad practices.

"Like you said, it kind of got chippy." Takitaki continued, "that is just me being a rookie not understanding what the NFL is and coming out here and practicing right. ... I have been learning from the vets and the coaches to just to play under control, keep everyone healthy and things like that.”

The learning curve is unavoidable. Especially at a position so difficult to master quickly.

Takitaki will be looking to eliminate as much of that learning curve as possible in order to help the defense as quickly as possible.

"THEY HAVE ME AT MIKE"
Takitaki has been the vocal leader each time he's on the field. That role is typically reserved for the middle linebacker, who has a direct communication with the defensive coordinator through a large chunk of the play clock to get the defensive call right.

Takitaki knows it's his job to pass along the play and bark out the role of his teammates on each snap.

"They have me calling the plays, closing the front. It's something I am definitely comfortable with."

Takitaki might have played in multiple roles within the BYU defense, but he knows where he prefers to align, and the Browns took him in the draft with the desire to use him accordingly.

"I feel like I'm a Mike linebacker, I'm a vocal guy, can come in and control things and that's why this is something I'm comfortable with. Going left to right, dropping in pass coverage, all of that. I feel comfortable doing those things from the middle."

Look at any quality middle linebacker; those who do it well have a mixture of instinct and athleticism that challenges interior linemen or tight ends. Takitaki has both traits, but he needs to keep working on the mental side.

Growth in processing is where Takitaki admits he has to keep getting better every day. This takes an immense amount of time, and upwards of thousands of reps at the position.

The ideal part of this scenario is there's no rush. For the first time in a long time, the rookies can grow at their own pace.

"PATIENCE IS TOUGH"
The challenge for Takitaki is remaining patient. He is backing up a Pro Bowl linebacker in Joe Schobert, who has the Browns' trust earned over the last three years.

Takitaki knows his role is to be ready if needed. But that doesn't make sitting on the sidelines easy.

"Feel like every day I'm starting to get more comfortable. Tomorrow I'm going to improve in something, then the next day something else. Finally by the first game I should be all right."

He figures to back up Schobert and make an impact on special teams. He knows the importance of the latter from his days at BYU. The Browns also know the importance of having a quality player behind Schobert in 2019.

The defense was noticeably less effective when Schobert missed four weeks in 2018. With Takitaki as the backup, they hope there won't be a big dropoff in quality of play.

The message is clear. Grow comfortable within a defense set to accentuate his best skills, learn from those veterans in front of you, and make an impact wherever needed.

"I just have to work on being consistent," the rookie said Saturday. "Go out there and learn the playbook, play fast, play physical and be consistent in those areas every day and I will give myself a good chance."

The Browns have the best of both worlds working right now. They have their current middle linebacker, but with Takitaki they seem to have a young player they believe in for the future as well.

Tough decisions will eventually have to be made. But for now, the status quo is a good formula for the middle of the Browns defense.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
Holy crap, that was a great question.

I'm sure MKC followed it up with wanting to know if Holcomb found Mayfield to be dreamy.

Legend
Legend
Haha!

That was a nice exchange ... I like when coaches open up about Xs and Os

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Nice article. I think intelligence and knowing where to be has a lot to do with turnovers, plus some luck. Winning the turnover battle is something I’m worried about becuase we benefited from it so much last year

Legend
Legend

One play is nothing, but this is becoming a trend for Wilson. A ton of positive steps the last 5 days of camp.

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/1158773926220185602

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Protect your neck Kirksey!

Legend
Legend
After a certain point in camp, they'll have practiced against each other so often and seen the same looks from the same personnel so many times that it really becomes more about the QB making a throw he shouldn't as well as the defender just outright knowing what is coming.

That said, I agree, he's making a habit of this and it bodes well. We need to see it happen in preseason games against people he hasn't gotten familiar with if we're going to get excited, though.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I think w/Kirksey being at the end of his extension after the season, cap space and the rise of these youngsters...this is prob our last season w/him.

Schobert will also be an interesting one to keep an eye on. GW loved him. Let's see if that love carries over to Wilks.

Legend
Legend
LBs:

Kirksey: very few snaps but he’s moving well again.

Wilson: was damn good in his 37 snaps. He might end up being a pass down LB right away. Made some run game flashes too.

Takitaki: sheds block well, reads decently, but a touch too stiff and some bad angles. It’ll come.

LBs Part II:

Harvey: new to box LB role as he was in the slot for ISU. I like him. Nice play on KO team tackle. Took on blocks well. He’s the one UDFA who has a shot.

Armstrong: solid vet who will be in line for the SAM role and big in specials. Didn’t impress much last night.

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/1159882283303755776

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Takitaki and Wilson both were steals in the 4th and 5th rounds respectively ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't as impressed w/Taki as the announcers were. However, Wilson really flashed out there. Great coverage. Good rush ability. A little weak at the point of attack in the run game, but can chase guys down.

I think he is young and still maturing. He should get stronger and that will help him against the run.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns 2019 training camp preview: Analyzing the linebackers

Link Copied to Clipboard